RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Minnesota Lynx 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 27, 28, 29  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stormeo

PostPosted: 03/08/20 1:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The major concern I'd have as a Lynx fan is that several players that are likely to be on the final roster have very serious knee-injury histories. Johnson and her ACL (out for the last part of 2017, all of 2018, and the first part of 2019). Christmas-Kelly and her knee (out for virtually the past two seasons). Shepard and her ACLs plural, the left one torn in high school and the right one last June. And Banham tore one of her ACLs back in college. (Did I miss anyone?)

Reeve must be really confident that those players, whether they're coming back from a recent injury or not, are gonna make some serious comebacks/breakthroughs this season... it just feels like a super risky approach though. Confused

Randy

PostPosted: 03/08/20 8:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good observation Stormeo. Banham seems to have been bothered by knee issue (or some other injuries) throughout her WNBA career. Johnson put up her career worst numbers last season after finally coming back from her knee injury two season before. KCK and Shepard are simply unknown quantities at this point.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 03/08/20 10:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
The major concern I'd have as a Lynx fan is that several players that are likely to be on the final roster have very serious knee-injury histories. Johnson and her ACL (out for the last part of 2017, all of 2018, and the first part of 2019). Christmas-Kelly and her knee (out for virtually the past two seasons). Shepard and her ACLs plural, the left one torn in high school and the right one last June. And Banham tore one of her ACLs back in college. (Did I miss anyone?)

Reeve must be really confident that those players, whether they're coming back from a recent injury or not, are gonna make some serious comebacks/breakthroughs this season... it just feels like a super risky approach though. Confused

I think she may be grasping for straws because she has needs but little to offer to get much - survivor mode. Maybe she'll luck out like last year from bumbled draft picks from teams picking before her. Atlanta seems confused, Stanley is new and Agler could surprise. She's going to need three serious, but very unlikely, screw-ups to get Sabally or Cox though.

justintyme

PostPosted: 03/08/20 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:

But is it really all that risky? The Lynx took their shot with Bonner and Toliver and just barely missed. But instead of then panic-signing a bunch of next-tier players to spendy/lengthy contracts so that they could maybe--if thing broke perfectly--be in some form of contention this year, they said "screw it" and decided not to sign players just to say they did something. Each move they've made has been an upside move with minimal longterm risk.

So if the players don't work out? They move on from them next year and are still sitting with tons of cap space and roster flexibility. If they do breakout? Then next year they will have an even better team with the players they can sign.

PostPosted: 03/09/20 12:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/katie_barnes3/status/1237055526292332545?s=20:
Quote:
News from Jefferson City today. Jonathan Irons has had his conviction vacated by Judge Green this morning. Irons was convicted if burglary and assault in 1998. WNBA player Maya Moore is a family friend and has been advocating for his release alongside her family.

PostPosted: 03/09/20 1:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/28871896/maya-moore-helpful-hiatus-inmate-conviction-overturned

Quote:
Judge Daniel Green's ruling granted Irons' petition for a writ of habeas corpus, vacating his convictions for burglary and assault. He placed a stay on the order, allowing the state 15 days to request a review by the appellate court. If the state does not appeal, then St. Charles County has 30 days to decide if it wants to retry Irons.

"It's a very good day," said Irons' attorney Kent Gipson. "But it's not quite over yet."

Quote:
Irons has served 22 years of a 50-year sentence that he was handed following a conviction of burglary and assault of a suburban St. Louis homeowner with a weapon. The man testified that Irons was the person who assaulted him in his home, but Irons' lawyers said there is no evidence (witness, fingerprints, footprints, DNA) to corroborate that their client committed the crime.

My guess on this this since they don’t have good evidence and he’s already served 22 out of 50 yrs (close to consideration for probation) is that the state will not retry the case.

I think Maya will be back in basketball next season.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
toad455

PostPosted: 03/09/20 1:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/28871896/maya-moore-helpful-hiatus-inmate-conviction-overturned

Quote:
Judge Daniel Green's ruling granted Irons' petition for a writ of habeas corpus, vacating his convictions for burglary and assault. He placed a stay on the order, allowing the state 15 days to request a review by the appellate court. If the state does not appeal, then St. Charles County has 30 days to decide if it wants to retry Irons.

"It's a very good day," said Irons' attorney Kent Gipson. "But it's not quite over yet."

Quote:
Irons has served 22 years of a 50-year sentence that he was handed following a conviction of burglary and assault of a suburban St. Louis homeowner with a weapon. The man testified that Irons was the person who assaulted him in his home, but Irons' lawyers said there is no evidence (witness, fingerprints, footprints, DNA) to corroborate that their client committed the crime.

My guess on this this since they don’t have good evidence and he’s already served 22 out of 50 yrs (close to consideration for probation) is that the state will not retry the case.

I think Maya will be back in basketball next season.

That's if she wants to. Has she made any money the past two years?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Richyyy

PostPosted: 03/09/20 1:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
That's if she wants to. Has she made any money the past two years?

As far as I know she's still very much a Jordan Brand athlete. Chances are, even for a female player, that was already paying her more than the Lynx.

PostPosted: 03/09/20 2:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

But is it really all that risky? The Lynx took their shot with Bonner and Toliver and just barely missed. But instead of then panic-signing a bunch of next-tier players to spendy/lengthy contracts so that they could maybe--if thing broke perfectly--be in some form of contention this year, they said "screw it" and decided not to sign players just to say they did something. Each move they've made has been an upside move with minimal longterm risk.

So if the players don't work out? They move on from them next year and are still sitting with tons of cap space and roster flexibility. If they do breakout? Then next year they will have an even better team with the players they can sign.

With regard to the long-term risk though: if the Lynx finish worse than or possibly even at the same spot as they did last year, then there's undeniably a higher chance it starts to really affect fan retention and viewership/attendance, as well as league reputation. This would be the third year in a row that the Lynx are flat-out not contenders, which possibly could affect the team's future ability to sign the particularly valuable free agents. Having players both not particularly young (other than Shepard) and with higher injury risk certainly adds to the overall risk of that happening. After the Lynx went through this free agency period where they struck out, imo it would've been wiser to go full-rebuild, especially since Collier was only a rookie last season - then they could've been marketed as such to the fans, and there is value for fans in watching young players develop, even while the team is losing games. There's no shame in outright admitting your team won't be contenders this year - in a league like this, if ya aren't a contender, you're simply better off rebuilding(/tanking). After having a young but talented enough core, that's when free agents could be targeted. The league might have another free agency next year like this year's was where star players leave their team for any given reason, but this year felt very one-off-ish.

The Lynx just didn't need to add true-SG Johnson, especially since they just added a younger-and-less-injured-but-still-injury-prone, true-SG Banham. To me, and admittedly I could very well be reading it all wrong, but it's a sign that Reeve thinks she can sneak past other teams who have recently remade their respective roster makeups in the standings and thus she thinks that this year's Lynx can and will be better than last year. If that's the case, I think she's underestimating those other teams and overestimating her own. She could also end up being right in the present scenario with that mindset, but back to my original thought, there's just a much greater chance that the Lynx has a bad year that starts to spread mass pessimism (like a certain pandemic) rather than a good year that allows for optimism. JMO.

snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 03/09/20 2:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

did i miss something... who did the lynx lose from last year to this year - augustus and sims, right? augustus who missed the first what, 20 games or so?

sims was good, but quite frankly not irreplaceable. assuming brown gets the same PT as sims last year, i think she can put up similar numbers.

collier will only be better, hopefully shepard will be at least as good as she was before the injury.

Shades

PostPosted: 03/09/20 5:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Review of Shenise Johnson’s 2019 season posted 4 months ago.
<iframe width="630" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mjgtSPZmyOo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Johnson’s overseas stats

justintyme

PostPosted: 03/09/20 10:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
justintyme wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

With regard to the long-term risk though: if the Lynx finish worse than or possibly even at the same spot as they did last year, then there's undeniably a higher chance it starts to really affect fan retention and viewership/attendance, as well as league reputation. This would be the third year in a row that the Lynx are flat-out not contenders, which possibly could affect the team's future ability to sign the particularly valuable free agents. Having players both not particularly young (other than Shepard) and with higher injury risk certainly adds to the overall risk of that happening. After the Lynx went through this free agency period where they struck out, imo it would've been wiser to go full-rebuild, especially since Collier was only a rookie last season - then they could've been marketed as such to the fans, and there is value for fans in watching young players develop, even while the team is losing games. There's no shame in outright admitting your team won't be contenders this year - in a league like this, if ya aren't a contender, you're simply better off rebuilding(/tanking). After having a young but talented enough core, that's when free agents could be targeted. The league might have another free agency next year like this year's was where star players leave their team for any given reason, but this year felt very one-off-ish.

The Lynx just didn't need to add true-SG Johnson, especially since they just added a younger-and-less-injured-but-still-injury-prone, true-SG Banham. To me, and admittedly I could very well be reading it all wrong, but it's a sign that Reeve thinks she can sneak past other teams who have recently remade their respective roster makeups in the standings and thus she thinks that this year's Lynx can and will be better than last year. If that's the case, I think she's underestimating those other teams and overestimating her own. She could also end up being right in the present scenario with that mindset, but back to my original thought, there's just a much greater chance that the Lynx has a bad year that starts to spread mass pessimism (like a certain pandemic) rather than a good year that allows for optimism. JMO.

The Lynx did commit to the rebuild this year. Johnson has a one year deal, so there is absolutely no risk by signing her. They get to audition her knees, and if they like what they see can consider re-signing her. If they don't they can move on at no cost.

Next year will be even bigger than this year as far as movement because teams went crazy with their spending this year. Reeve pointed out that this FA signing period reminded her a lot of 2016 in the NBA. So now next year teams are going to feel that crunch, and many will be forced to let players leave or trade some of their top talent to free up space. A team positioned to capitalize on this situation (like the Lynx are) could make out like bandits.

PostPosted: 03/09/20 10:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:

Nobody here thinks of the Lynx as legit title contenders without Maya Moore. Mass pessimism/pandemic will only occur if Maya Moore joins the Sparks or any team other than the Lynx. Since I'm not aware of the 2021 Draft having a Breanna Stewart or 3 To See, it's not worth trading Fowles for nothing just to suck. Now if Maya Moore would come back in All-WNBA form in 2021, then it's worth having Fowles and whatever players prove to be good this year. Banham hasn't shown she's a WNBA-starter, she's probably best suited as a backup. If Johnson shows she can be a quality starter again like she was pre-injuries, then the Lynx might try to keep her, or if not, then she's only under contract for this year and didn't cost much to acquire anyways.

Shades

PostPosted: 03/10/20 12:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Now I’m leaning towards that Augustus video being an acting job or mostly a pile of BS, because it’s just too big of a coincidence that Augustus’ wife or ex-wife (as the case seems to be) decided to pack up and move out to Hollywood in January.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/10/20 12:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Now I’m leaning towards that Augustus video being an acting job or mostly a pile of BS, because it’s just too big of a coincidence that Augustus’ wife or ex-wife (as the case seems to be) decided to pack up and move out to Hollywood in January.

This is how bad rumors start ....smh Arrow

PostPosted: 03/10/20 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
zune69 wrote:
If Minnesota can get a lottery pick for Fowles. they should make the trade.

The Lynx don't have a good history with trades though, so I'm not sure. Just this year:
The Sun are the #2 team in the WNBA after the Lynx traded Natisha Hiedeman for Lexie Brown
The Sky became a top WNBA team after the Lynx traded them a 3rd round pick for Alaian Coates.
The Sparks became a Finals Contender once again after the Lynx traded them Alexis Jones for Odyessey Sims.
Basically every team that makes a trade with the Lynx becomes an instant Finals contender, except for the Mercury.

Except that none of those players affected their team’s success after being traded while Sims and Brown were both rotation players. Really do not see your point here

justintyme

PostPosted: 03/10/20 4:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:
zune69 wrote:
If Minnesota can get a lottery pick for Fowles. they should make the trade.

The Lynx don't have a good history with trades though, so I'm not sure. Just this year:
The Sun are the #2 team in the WNBA after the Lynx traded Natisha Hiedeman for Lexie Brown
The Sky became a top WNBA team after the Lynx traded them a 3rd round pick for Alaian Coates.
The Sparks became a Finals Contender once again after the Lynx traded them Alexis Jones for Odyessey Sims.
Basically every team that makes a trade with the Lynx becomes an instant Finals contender, except for the Mercury.

Except that none of those players affected their team’s success after being traded while Sims and Brown were both rotation players. Really do not see your point here

Spacejunkie has what I would call a casual relationship with causal relationships.

It's kind of his thing.

PostPosted: 03/10/20 5:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:

You must've gone to Page 1 instead of the current page if you took almost 6 months to repsond to that post. Smile

Shades

PostPosted: 03/21/20 9:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fowles looks to be in pretty good shape.

stever

PostPosted: 03/24/20 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mJBJz68OiAE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

pilight

PostPosted: 03/26/20 7:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Missouri attorney general appeals judge's decision in case advocated by WNBA star Maya Moore

https://www.ksdk.com/article/news/local/jonathan-irons-case-appeal-advocated-wnba-maya-moore/63-7c125c4a-db9e-4659-853d-700f2bbc442a

Quote:
Missouri Attorney General Eric Schmitt filed a writ of certiorari this week in the case, saying Cole County Judge Daniel Green overstepped his authority and “abused” his discretion when ordering Jonathan Irons’ convictions and sentences for first-degree assault, first-degree burglary and armed criminal action vacated.

PostPosted: 03/26/20 7:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Missouri attorney general appeals judge's decision in case advocated by WNBA star Maya Moore

https://www.ksdk.com/article/news/local/jonathan-irons-case-appeal-advocated-wnba-maya-moore/63-7c125c4a-db9e-4659-853d-700f2bbc442a

Quote:
Missouri Attorney General Eric Schmitt filed a writ of certiorari this week in the case, saying Cole County Judge Daniel Green overstepped his authority and “abused” his discretion when ordering Jonathan Irons’ convictions and sentences for first-degree assault, first-degree burglary and armed criminal action vacated.

Dammit Schmitt, don’t you have more important things to worry about?

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/27/20 11:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Prosecutors in general are bulldogs. just can't let go. Of course I have no idea about the case other than that the evidence was slim to none. But I have seen quite a few cases with slim to none evidence, and not good outcomes.

- Amanda Gorman
Shades

PostPosted: 03/27/20 11:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
But I have seen quite a few cases with slim to none evidence, and not good outcomes.

Well, that needs to change. Right, myrtle?

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/27/20 11:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
myrtle wrote:
But I have seen quite a few cases with slim to none evidence, and not good outcomes.

Well, that needs to change. Right, myrtle?

It would be nice. But considering what's going on in the country in terms of division, and with racists somehow feeling more empowered, it feels like our justice system has gone backwards rather than forwards. I hope Maya can make a difference, and not just in this one case. [But it would be nice if she decided to play basketball for a few more years before tackling the wider world].

- Amanda Gorman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 16 of 29

Jump to: