RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Minnesota Lynx 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 27, 28, 29  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 01/22/20 4:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
“I don’t feel like this is the right time for me to retire,” she said. “Retirement is something that is a big deal and there is a right way to do it well, and this is not the time for me.”

Sounds like she doesn't want her retirement announcement to overshadow what she's doing

PostPosted: 01/22/20 4:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
She's never coming back

Probably not but she doesn't need to. Her resume speaks for itself.

I love people with integrity. Cheers to Maya!!!!

PostPosted: 01/22/20 4:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
"I don't feel like this is the right time for me to retire. Retirement is something that is a big deal and there is a right way to do it well, and this is not the time for me."

If I found out I was stuck at the old max just for signing early, it makes the decision somewhat less painful.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
PRballer

PostPosted: 01/22/20 4:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow. Doubt we'll see her in a Minnesota Lynx uniform again.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 01/22/20 4:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not that she owes it to anyone to make it official, but I don't think she's ever coming back, either. I'd imagine it might also cost her a significant amount of money to officially retire (Nike probably prefer sponsoring someone 'on a break' rather than someone who's done). Her agent's smart enough to make her consider that even if it's not her primary consideration.

PostPosted: 01/22/20 4:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'll be surprised if she returns.

She may not feel ready to retire from playing bball (that IS huge when you consider how much of her life went to the game) but her passion for the work she does now is palpable in interviews.

Bball - the way Maya does it - is a singular work type priority and it takes passion to invest that much of yourself.

From the outside looking in Maya didn't seem to get out of bball what she put into it that last year. I dont mean performance but satisfaction and joy and energy.

Seems coming back would take a situation where her passion for bball equaled up or became greater than her passion for the work she is doing now.

Not sure another year sees that gap close.

All that said she absolutely should do what makes sense for her. Leave it open until she is ready to close it one way or the other.

PostPosted: 01/22/20 6:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Honestly, if she doesn't return this season, I doubt she ever plays again. And judging by some recent pictures, it doesn't look like she's in shape to play.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Stormeo

PostPosted: 01/22/20 6:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It begs the question: Where do the Cheryl Reeve and the Lynx go from here? Do they think team/player maturation and some savvy draft+free agent moves make them become a contender again? Moore taking another year off without retiring is basically keeping them in limbo for yet another year...

EDIT: The Lynx really should try to contend or at least not try to tank this season, especially if those who we think will early-declare do so. The 2021 prospects will be heavy on SFs - certainly not a position of need for them - and besides, who's gonna go out of their way to tank for someone like Megan Walker Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Stormeo on 01/22/20 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
toad455

PostPosted: 01/22/20 6:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the Lynx need to treat her like a foreign player. If she shows up in 2021, great. Otherwise they need to start building around Collier and Co.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/22/20 6:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
I think the Lynx need to treat her like a foreign player. If she shows up in 2021, great. Otherwise they need to start building around Collier and Co.

Sounds like a Cabbage plan all over again with different stipulations of course.

PostPosted: 01/22/20 6:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If she comes back it will be for financial reasons. There's not much money in justice seeking and sponsorships will quickly dry up without her playing.

PostPosted: 01/22/20 7:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
It begs the question: Where do the Cheryl Reeve and the Lynx go from here? Do they think team/player maturation and some savvy draft+free agent moves make them become a contender again? Moore taking another year off without retiring is basically keeping them in limbo for yet another year...

EDIT: The Lynx really should try to contend or at least not try to tank this season, especially if those who we think will early-declare do so. The 2021 prospects will be heavy on SFs - certainly not a position of need for them - and besides, who's gonna go out of their way to tank for someone like Megan Walker Rolling Eyes

I think they have to go forward with the assumption she never plays again. Even if her money dries up and she comes back, after two or more years off (and it doesn’t look like she’s staying in any sort of shape), I don’t expect her to ever be near back at the level she was.

ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 01/23/20 12:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A radio host here who follows the Lynx closely was talking about how he was disappointed that this "scoop" from Maya came via a NY paper. And, that no one locally is digging deep to find out what truly happened between Maya/Reeve/Lynx organization. (If there is a schism, perhaps)

I understand that she may have gotten burned out, and has made a load of dough overseas that she really doesn't need this league to pay the bills, nor to pursue the things that are important to her. I hope Maya returns eventually, even if it's a farewell season. She's a class act.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 01/23/20 12:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
A radio host here who follows the Lynx closely was talking about how he was disappointed that this "scoop" from Maya came via a NY paper. And, that no one locally is digging deep to find out what truly happened between Maya/Reeve/Lynx organization. (If there is a schism, perhaps)

We've seen more than enough examples in this league that if someone wants to get traded, they can get themselves traded. If she wanted to keep playing basketball but somewhere other than Minnesota, the Lynx would've worked it out. So unless they're suggesting that Reeve/the Lynx are somehow responsible for her losing her love for the game, I don't think there's really a story to search for there.

And let's face it, she's going to get more attention for her campaign to help that guy in prison by talking to someone at the New York Times than she is from a story in the Star Tribune.

PostPosted: 01/23/20 9:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hopefully, she hasn't played her final season and gets to take a victory lap and eventually have her jersey in the rafters down the line.

PostPosted: 01/23/20 10:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Even for someone with Moore's talent, coming back to the WNBA in her 30s and after two years off would be a daunting task, and presumably would require several months of serious physical preparation. And even then, she would not be the player she once was, and that's sometimes difficult for elite athletes to accept.

As pointed out, though, she could make a chunk of change with a comeback, so it's not out of the question, but I think the Maya Moore that we saw in her prime is gone forever ... what we would get in 2021 and beyond would be a good player, not a great one.

PostPosted: 01/23/20 11:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

OK, we’ll treat her like a foreign player. If she shows up, she’s starting. Now you do the same for your foreign player, Johannes.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 01/23/20 11:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Even for someone with Moore's talent, coming back to the WNBA in her 30s and after two years off would be a daunting task, and presumably would require several months of serious physical preparation. And even then, she would not be the player she once was, and that's sometimes difficult for elite athletes to accept.

As pointed out, though, she could make a chunk of change with a comeback, so it's not out of the question, but I think the Maya Moore that we saw in her prime is gone forever ... what we would get in 2021 and beyond would be a good player, not a great one.

+1

Shades

PostPosted: 01/23/20 11:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
If she comes back it will be for financial reasons. There's not much money in justice seeking and sponsorships will quickly dry up without her playing.

I seem to recall you being so sure that Maya sat out last season because the money wasn’t enough. You don’t know Maya at all. You just project your value system on other people.

Shades

PostPosted: 01/23/20 11:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Didn’t her boss, Michael Jordan, do something similar? It’d be a great story: Maya comes back to win a couple more championships and further seals her legacy. Maya Moore is about the very last person you want to underestimate.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/23/20 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why are you so defensive ? Im pretty sure you dont know Maya neither so its OK for others to have their opinions on a message board whether its factual or not.

PostPosted: 01/23/20 11:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Why are you so defensive ? Im pretty sure you dont know Maya neither so its OK for others to have their opinions on a message board whether its factual or not.

Maya is a mythical being because she's the only person to ever lead Minnesota to a championship (not counting super minor sports or college hockey) since 1991.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 01/23/20 11:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

Tribalism is a helluva drug.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
root_thing

PostPosted: 01/23/20 1:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
toad455 wrote:

OK, we’ll treat her like a foreign player. If she shows up, she’s starting. Now you do the same for your foreign player, Johannes.

I'm not sure how you're defending Maya Moore by comparing her to a player whose entire WNBA career consists of half a season coming off the bench for a 10-24 team.

PostPosted: 01/23/20 1:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

This isn’t new, cmon now Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 6 of 29

Jump to: