RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Minnesota Lynx 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 09/16/20 9:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
Maya Moore and Jonathan Irons are married ... Does that diminish her sacrifice?

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/29900158/maya-moore-jonathan-irons-married-does-diminish-sacrifice

Pretty good article that poses a very important question. Why do we care?

Does it diminish her sacrifice? Of course not, the very idea is ridiculous on its face.

Why do I care? Why not?

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
pilight

PostPosted: 09/16/20 10:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
Does it diminish her sacrifice? Of course not, the very idea is ridiculous on its face.

It could cast doubt on her motivations. Is she really interested in freeing more wrongly convicted inmates or she just being manipulated by a guy who's been grooming her since she was a teenager and a "godfather" who thought it was appropriate to bring a teenaged girl to a maximum security men's prison in the first place?

PostPosted: 09/16/20 10:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No arguments there; I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't skeptical, myself. But that wasn't the question asked.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/16/20 10:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Of course, from a purely basketball point of view, it could be a good thing if she wasn't actually interested in social justice on a systemic level, but just in getting one guy out of prison. It would mean she'd be more likely to come back to the game, rather than continue to fight for other people who may have been wrongly imprisoned.

But to the question in that article, frankly, I don't really care. I miss seeing one of the greatest players in the game play, but if she's happier not playing then whatever her reasons, good luck to her. It doesn't really make a blind bit of difference to me whether she's an altruistic woman who gave up her career to fight for justice, or someone who gave it all up for love. The result's the same anyway. And as I've either said or implied on here many times, I never really expected her to come back once she stopped playing. I think she'd have probably just called it a 'retirement' at the time if it wouldn't have lowered her profile and run off her sponsors.

PostPosted: 09/16/20 10:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:

It could cast doubt on her motivations. Is she really interested in freeing more wrongly convicted inmates or she just being manipulated by a guy who's been grooming her since she was a teenager and a "godfather" who thought it was appropriate to bring a teenaged girl to a maximum security men's prison in the first place?

Bingo. But really, this development doesn't/shouldn't change the whole "she halted her own successful career to get a wrongfully convinced man out of prison and succeeded" narrative one bit. As long as it ain't about that, I too don't really care that they got married. (Does help that I'm not a Lynx fan Razz )

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 09/17/20 10:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:

Oof. I didn't know that background.

myrtle

PostPosted: 09/17/20 11:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

they say they are going to work together on getting other wrongfully convicted inmates out of jail. If they do, that's cool. And I hope it works out for them personally. It's not likely to be easy.

- Amanda Gorman
Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 09/17/20 11:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't want to continue to derail this thread, but I've been dying to ask this question for, like, twenty-seven hours, so... shameless plug: http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=98374

Shades

PostPosted: 09/17/20 12:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
pilight wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:

It was in the article you promoted. Pilight just took creative license to turn it into an episode of Law & Order SVU.

Quote:
Moore met Irons the summer after she graduated from high school in 2007, many years after her godfather, Reggie Williams, became interested in Irons' case. Over time, as Moore's national profile expanded, her interest in Irons and his case grew, too.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight

PostPosted: 09/17/20 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
It was in the article you promoted. Pilight just took creative license to turn it into an episode of Law & Order SVU.

I put a little spin on it. If someone wanted to cast aspersions on their relationship, it's an obvious route to take.

PostPosted: 09/17/20 12:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:
pilight wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:

Quote:
Moore met Irons the summer after she graduated from high school in 2007, many years after her godfather, Reggie Williams, became interested in Irons' case. Over time, as Moore's national profile expanded, her interest in Irons and his case grew, too.

Can I hire you to be my personal life coach?

MuneravenMN
Champion Tipster

PostPosted: 09/17/20 12:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
Maya Moore and Jonathan Irons are married ... Does that diminish her sacrifice?

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/29900158/maya-moore-jonathan-irons-married-does-diminish-sacrifice

Pretty good article that poses a very important question. Why do we care?

I personally think it’s a crappy idea for any 18 year old woman to write to a stranger in prison. A person in prison has 24/7 to obsess on and be devoted to a mythic perfect girl, and many prisoners are good at manipulating people.

All that said, I know zip about their relationship and plenty of relationships that don’t start under ideal circumstances turn out great. I wish them the best.

Her sacrifice has always been overrated. She stopped playing basketball to work to free a man. She went to meetings with lawyers. There are people every minute who sacrifice more than that. She wasn’t on the front lines of Black Lives Matter taking a beanbag to the face. She didn’t get pepper-sprayed. She didn’t risk her life to care for people dying of COVID19. I think the notion that she made this huge noble sacrifice has always been a bit bogus. There are probably 2-3 people on my block who have made a bigger sacrifice than she did and we will never hear about it.

So, to sum up: It was never a big noble sacrifice but yay for love.

PostPosted: 09/17/20 3:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
I don't want to continue to derail this thread, but I've been dying to ask this question for, like, twenty-seven hours, so... shameless plug: http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=98374

Why do you think it is "very likely" that they were both virgins?

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 09/17/20 3:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:

Why do you think it is "very likely" that they were both virgins?

Well, as I specifically mentioned in the other thread, I wasn't trying to make this about Maya Moore, but she talks about her faith in a way that leads me to believe that there's a probability approaching 90+ percent that she believes very strongly in abstinence before marriage. And Irons had been incarcerated since he was sixteen.

Also, them getting married so soon after he was released strikes me as behavior that is entirely consistent with the behavior of a couple where one or both of them really wants to have sex, but one or both of them very strongly believes in no sex before marriage.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29
Page 29 of 29

Jump to: