Board Junkies Forums

Minnesota Lynx 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 27, 28, 29  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/22/20 1:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
Shades wrote:
If Reeve is talking like that, then Fagbenle must be out for sure. But without any explanation? No way is Alexander better than Fagbenle, unless Fagbenle has a serious injury.

Alexander averaged 16.2 points and 12.6 rebounds per 36 minutes last year with a 75% FG%. Though maybe 20 total minutes is too small of a sample size. Smile

I never understood why she practically stopped getting minutes when she was traded to the Fever. Didn't think it was that weird of a fit. I was hoping she'd reunite with Hughes here in Seattle (she'd be a better option than Langhorne at this point), but even if Minnesota's her last stop, she's somehow very quietly been in this League for each of the last seven seasons. Shocked

justintyme

PostPosted: 04/24/20 2:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8lUApppkEYk" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PostPosted: 04/24/20 2:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Welcome to the business of basketball. Traded on a TV broadcast while you're still getting used to being 'in' the WNBA at all.

PostPosted: 04/24/20 3:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Welcome to the business of basketball. Traded on a TV broadcast while you're still getting used to being 'in' the WNBA at all.

Heh. Could you imagine if it applied to other businesses? Like when she finishes med school and goes through residency matching, she were to find out her hospital traded her to another on live TV?

PostPosted: 04/24/20 7:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

I mean, it's not too often we see a third round pick's reaction. And then her reaction to getting traded shortly after. Someone should film her the day she gets cut.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
pilight

PostPosted: 04/24/20 7:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

I mean, it's not too often we see a third round pick's reaction. And then her reaction to getting traded shortly after. Someone should film her the day she gets cut.

She could easily make the roster in place of one of the many mediocre guards employed by the Lynx.

PostPosted: 04/24/20 7:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

She could easily make the roster in place of one of the many mediocre guards employed by the Lynx.

Yeah, she's actually much better off on the Lynx roster than the Liberty. Probably unlikely to make the roster either way, like all third-rounders, but much better chance in Minnesota.

PostPosted: 04/24/20 8:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If she does make a roster (any roster), I wonder how long it will be before she is a WNBAPA officer?

justintyme

PostPosted: 04/24/20 8:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
pilight wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Yeah, she's actually much better off on the Lynx roster than the Liberty. Probably unlikely to make the roster either way, like all third-rounders, but much better chance in Minnesota.

And as someone who was also studying for her med exams and has been accepted to 9 different medical schools, I'm thinking all her eggs aren't exactly in the basketball basket.

PostPosted: 04/24/20 9:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Except that she’s less than mediocre. Unlike Pivec and Charles, who fell in the draft, Ogwumike rose in the draft because the Lynx wanted the Liberty (or vice versa) to draft her for this trade. She could’ve easily gone undrafted.

She’s not even a combo guard. She’s a straight shooting guard that can’t shoot the three. Awful pick... just done for the name value, which I suspect is the same reason you’re high on her.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/24/20 10:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Except that she’s less than mediocre. Unlike Pivec and Charles, who fell in the draft, Ogwumike rose in the draft because the Lynx wanted the Liberty (or vice versa) to draft her for this trade. She could’ve easily gone undrafted.

She’s not even a combo guard. She’s a straight shooting guard that can’t shoot the three. Awful pick... just done for the name value, which I suspect is the same reason you’re high on her.

+1 to all of this. Ogwumike's only option imo is trying to mimic Courtney Williams, since Williams is also a good rebounder for someone her size. Though I don't know if Ogwumike has a midrange game or if she can only make her FGs around the rim (if the latter's the case, she's got no shot). Hope she's getting mentally prepared... to pick the right medical school.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/25/20 8:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

I'm not high on Ogwumike so much as low on the Lynx backcourt depth

PostPosted: 05/06/20 2:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What will be the starting lineup this season?
https://m.startribune.com/lynx-mailbag-what-will-be-the-starting-lineup-this-season/570241412/

Lynx finally gave out some info on Fagbenle’s status.
Quote:
“She’s not signed,’’ Lynx general manager and coach Cheryl Reeve said. “So she will remain a reserve player. She received a qualifying offer and didn’t sign. She’ll sit out 2020. We hold her rights. When January comes, we’ll send a qualifying offer again.’’

I actually found out yesterday from another source (along with her life story) that she for sure wouldn’t be playing this season, but I never around to posting it. It seems she has some sort of business venture going on.

Quote:
With the combination of Fowles and Alexander – who should make the team – the Lynx would appear set to defend against such teams.

Ideally, this shouldn’t be a given and she should have some competition for her spot. Typically there’s not a lot of confidence to expect a training camp contract to make the final roster, but with the Lynx, I guess that’s not necessarily the case. Doesn’t inspire a lot of confidence for me. I’m guessing Alexander had one great game against the Lynx years ago, and Reeve never forgot about it and put Alexander on her target list, just like previous targets TWright and DRob.

Quote:
Damiris Dantas is the starting power forward, but can move inside if needed.

I agree with the notion that Dantas will start and also be the first backup to Fowles at center.

Quote:
Herbert Harrigan, a strong defender and rim protector, would seem ideally suited to defend a post player like Seattle’s Natasha Howard, who gave the Lynx fits the past two seasons.

The very best way to avoid letting Howard give the Lynx fits would have been to keep her on the team.

Quote:
Meanwhile, at this point, the other international players on the Lynx roster – Dantas (Brazil), Cecilia Zandalasini (Italy) and Bridget Carleton (Canada) – are expected to be here if and when training camps open.

Hopefully this puts aside the assumption that international players don’t want to show up.

Quote:
Here is my belief [on starting lineup]: Fowles and Dantas at center and power forward, respectively. Napheesa Collier at small forward. Zandalasini at off guard and Odyssey Sims as the primary ball-handler.

Yes, Sims.

There has been a lot of talk about her not playing this year. But the Lynx remain convinced she will be on the team when things get going.

Hmm... I guess that means she’s fairly far along?

Quote:
I think the Lynx did very well in the draft, taking Herbert Harrigan in the first round – when everyone expected they’d take a point guard – and getting Crystal Dangerfield in the second. I expect Dangerfield to make the team.

Oh please. Youngblood wouldn’t know Herbert Harrigan from a hole in the ground. How can the Lynx not go for a true post player that’s adept at the pick and role? Given the options, I’d go for Hebard at #6 and consider another post at #16 (Brewer or Mompremier was available), especially given what the Lynx knew going into the draft (Fagbenle not coming back, Sims could be back).

Quote:
I do think more WNBA games will be aired on TV. There has been talk of WNBA-NBA doubleheaders on TV.

That’s what the pundit has been saying.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 05/06/20 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
toad455

PostPosted: 05/06/20 2:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There was never a mention of Carleton signing and she's not on their roster. Just more competition for Ogwumike to make the team.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 05/06/20 4:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Assuming Harper and Ogwumike get cut, and Carleton doesn't actually re-sign (or does [though that would theoretically put 'em over the 15-player limit] and gets cut anyway), that's still 13. Going off of the article, players like Alexander, Dangerfield, and Zandalasini can't all make the team. Only works if someone unexpectedly doesn't show up and sits out.

PG: Sims*/Brown/Dangerfield
SG: Johnson*/Banham/Zandalasini
SF: Collier/Christmas-Kelly*
PF: Dantas*/Shepard/Herbert Harrigan
C: Fowles*/Alexander

Players with an asterisk by their name have a guaranteed contract.
Who's the last cut here?

toad455

PostPosted: 05/06/20 4:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sims would be suspended at the beginning of the season(whenever that is). They can carry 13. Again, there's no mention of Carleton re-signing. Ogwumike would need one of the foreigners to not show to stand a chance.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/06/20 4:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
PG: Sims*/Brown/Dangerfield
SG: Johnson*/Banham/Zandalasini
SF: Collier/Christmas-Kelly*
PF: Dantas*/Shepard/Herbert Harrigan
C: Fowles*/Alexander

Players with an asterisk by their name have a guaranteed contract.
Who's the last cut here?

If they had to get down to 12, for a normal season, I'm really not sure. In the state we're currently in, I feel like there are enough question marks that somebody would end up being removable. Either Sims isn't ready yet and is suspended, Johnson/Christmas-Kelly/Shepard are too injured to take part, Zandalasini/Dantas/Alexander don't arrive from abroad etc.

If they really didn't want to cut anyone else (and the season was anything close to normal), maybe you cut Alexander knowing Collier/KCK can both play the 4 when needed and you can probably re-sign Alexander if it proved necessary.

PostPosted: 05/06/20 4:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carleton has to have signed something because she has been in their team zoom calls. Which I believe would be illegal, if she wasn’t signed.

toad455

PostPosted: 05/06/20 5:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:
Carleton has to have signed something because she has been in their team zoom calls. Which I believe would be illegal, if she wasn’t signed.

She's not listed on the league's transactions page nor is she listed on the Lynx's roster.

https://lynx.wnba.com/roster/

lynxmania

PostPosted: 05/06/20 5:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

does this work for you toad or we gonna not believe?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/06/20 5:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm notoriously terrible at recognising players in street clothes - is Fagbenle on there? Because she's definitely not under contract. Reserved rights might be enough to be allowed to be on a video conference.

PostPosted: 05/06/20 5:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
I'm notoriously terrible at recognising players in street clothes - is Fagbenle on there? Because she's definitely not under contract. Reserved rights might be enough to be allowed to be on a video conference.

With Carleton & even Fagbenle, plus Reeve & her 3 assistants, that's only 23. There are 24 faces in that picture. Very odd scenario.

lynxmania

PostPosted: 05/06/20 5:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Top Row: Michelle (Operations Staff), Clare (Asst. GM/DOBO), Dangerfield, Ceci, Bridget
2nd Row: Shepard, Chuck (Trainer), Ogwumike, Johnson, Syl
3rd Row: KCK, Harper, Lexie, Banham, Alexander
4th Row: Reeve, Kate (Trainer), Herbert Herrigan, Phee, ??
5th Row: Brunson, Sims, Pierson, Smith

The only one I don't know is the one by Phee and I know thats not Temi

toad455

PostPosted: 05/06/20 5:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:
Top Row: Michelle (Operations Staff), Clare (Asst. GM/DOBO), Dangerfield, Ceci, Bridget
2nd Row: Shepard, Chuck (Trainer), Ogwumike, Johnson, Syl
3rd Row: KCK, Harper, Lexie, Banham, Alexander
4th Row: Reeve, Kate (Trainer), Herbert Herrigan, Phee, ??
5th Row: Brunson, Sims, Pierson, Smith

The only one I don't know is the one by Phee and I know thats not Temi

The ?? player isn't Dantas, so I'm curious who that is.

So if Carleton is indeed signed, I'd like to know why she's not on the Lynx's roster. Error, possibly? But Alexander signing plus the Johnson & Banham trades are on the transactions page.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 05/06/20 5:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Quote:
Herbert Harrigan, a strong defender and rim protector, would seem ideally suited to defend a post player like Seattle’s Natasha Howard, who gave the Lynx fits the past two seasons.

The very best way to avoid letting Howard give the Lynx fits would have been to keep her on the team.

We get it. You have been saying this for over two years no. The obsession with Howard is becoming akin to a certain poster's Prahalis comments.

Shades wrote:
Quote:
I think the Lynx did very well in the draft, taking Herbert Harrigan in the first round – when everyone expected they’d take a point guard – and getting Crystal Dangerfield in the second. I expect Dangerfield to make the team.

Oh please. Youngblood wouldn’t know Herbert Harrigan from a hole in the ground. How can the Lynx not go for a true post player that’s adept at the pick and role? Given the options, I’d go for Hebard at #6 and consider another post at #16 (Brewer or Mompremier was available), especially given what the Lynx knew going into the draft (Fagbenle not coming back, Sims could be back).

First, it is "pick and roll," not "pick and role." You want someone's role to be a pick and roll player.

Second, the Lynx wanted a forward who can play now, help with spacing, and still be part of the core for the future. Hebard and Fowles cannot play together without clogging the lane. Same with Mompremier and Fowles.

Now, Hebard and/or Mompremier could have been a player for the future. But at #6, the Lynx wanted someone who could contribute right away. Fowles' scoring dipped a little last year, but she still up 13.6 ppg and nearly 9 rebounds per contest. And Jessica Shepard can be deployed as a backup at center, if necessary. It all comes down to whether the Lynx wanted someone to contribute now - and someone who has experience playing next to a star and a dominant post player - or someone who is the "best available" player who will not be starting or contributing a lot for a few years.

It seems you have a grudge or an ax to grind with the Lynx's front office. Last year, the issue you had was with the selection of Napheesa Collier at #6.

As I mentioned then, perhaps the draftees for Minnesota turn out better than you think, given your analysis of projected players from 2019 WNBA Mock Drafts.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 20 of 29

Jump to: