RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

Offical 2019 WNBA Awards
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
justintyme



Joined: 08 Jul 2012
Posts: 7812
Location: Northfield, MN


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/10/19 11:08 pm    ::: Offical 2019 WNBA Awards Reply Reply with quote

COY: James Wade

DPotY: Natasha Howard



_________________
↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 59656
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/11/19 7:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Brittney Griner, Joonquel Jones, and Courtney Vandersloot earn peak performer awards

https://www.wnba.com/news/phoenixs-griner-connecticuts-jones-and-chicagos-vandersloot-earn-2019-wnba-peak-performer-awards/



_________________
On Christmas Day, the Gingerbread Man said, ‘Ladyfingers, be my wife.’
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 59656
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/11/19 7:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.wnba.com/news/chicagos-james-wade-named-2019-wnba-coach-of-the-year/

2019 WNBA COACH OF THE YEAR RESULTS

Coach Team Votes
James Wade Chicago Sky 27
Mike Thibault Washington Mystics 12
Dan Hughes Seattle Storm 2
Derek Fisher Los Angeles Sparks 1
Curt Miller Connecticut Sun 1



_________________
On Christmas Day, the Gingerbread Man said, ‘Ladyfingers, be my wife.’
snlMINAJ



Joined: 21 Jan 2010
Posts: 823



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/11/19 8:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

if they announced this and natasha howard as DPOY you know that means collier did not get ROY... otherwise she would be given the award tonight.


Randy



Joined: 08 Oct 2011
Posts: 9315



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/11/19 8:40 am    ::: Re: Offical 2019 WNBA Awards Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
COY: James Wade

DPotY: Natasha Howard


Howard is a perfect example of how difficult talent evaluation is. She mainly sat on the bench for 4 years on 2 teams with some of the best coaches in the WNBA and was traded away by both of those teams for little in return.* She goes to a 3rd team (with a much less respected coach) and becomes an All WNBA player. She suddenly also develops a 3 point shot which she had little history of in prior years. Shows that sometimes coaches can't even spot talent on their own bench.

*While it is fun to ridicule the trade to Seattle it was a calculated risk to get a lottery that didn't work, not just a give away like the trade to MN from IN.



_________________
2019 RebKell Tipping Contest Champion
justintyme



Joined: 08 Jul 2012
Posts: 7812
Location: Northfield, MN


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/11/19 8:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snlMINAJ wrote:
if they announced this and natasha howard as DPOY you know that means collier did not get ROY... otherwise she would be given the award tonight.

Doubt it. They usually give out the award in front of home crowds when possible. That isn't possible for the Lynx or the Wings, so ROY can be awarded whenever. But what they don't want to do is tread on someone else's day. This would be Howard's moment in front of her fans. If another teammate won something, then sure, but not an opponent.



_________________
↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 59656
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/11/19 9:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.wnba.com/news/seattles-natasha-howard-named-2019-wnba-defensive-player-of-the-year/

2019 WNBA DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR VOTING RESULTS

Player, Team, Votes

Natasha Howard (Seattle Storm): 33
Nneka Ogwumike (Los Angeles Sparks): 3
Sylvia Fowles (Minnesota Lynx): 2
Jonquel Jones (Connecticut Sun): 2
Alysha Clark (Seattle Storm): 1
Brittney Griner (Phoenix Mercury): 1
Elizabeth Williams (Atlanta Dream): 1



_________________
On Christmas Day, the Gingerbread Man said, ‘Ladyfingers, be my wife.’
Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 21486
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/11/19 9:11 am    ::: Re: Offical 2019 WNBA Awards Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
justintyme wrote:
COY: James Wade

DPotY: Natasha Howard


Howard is a perfect example of how difficult talent evaluation is. She mainly sat on the bench for 4 years on 2 teams with some of the best coaches in the WNBA and was traded away by both of those teams for little in return.* She goes to a 3rd team (with a much less respected coach) and becomes an All WNBA player. She suddenly also develops a 3 point shot which she had little history of in prior years. Shows that sometimes coaches can't even spot talent on their own bench.

To a certain extent, sure. But this is a player who averaged 17mpg as a rookie on a team that made the Conference Finals. And who showed enough in her two Minnesota seasons that several of us said, repeatedly, that if the Lynx didn't pay her when she came off her rookie scale deal then someone else definitely would. This isn't, say, Evelyn Akhator becoming an all-star. I don't think anyone really expected her to become a genuine MVP candidate, but a very good player was definitely in there somewhere during her Fever/Lynx years.



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 59656
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/11/19 9:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All Defensive teams

1st team
Natasha Howard
Jonquel Jones
Nneka Ogwumike
Jordin Canada
Jasmine Thomas

2nd Team
Brittney Griner
Alyssa Thomas
Alysha Clark
Ariel Atkins
Natasha Cloud



_________________
On Christmas Day, the Gingerbread Man said, ‘Ladyfingers, be my wife.’
justintyme



Joined: 08 Jul 2012
Posts: 7812
Location: Northfield, MN


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/11/19 9:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Disappointed that Collier didn't get the recognition she deserved for what she did this year defensively, but really can't argue too much with the list they came up with.



_________________
↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 59656
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/11/19 9:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Disappointed that Collier didn't get the recognition she deserved for what she did this year defensively, but really can't argue too much with the list they came up with.


It's odd that the two best teams in DER (Las Vegas and Minnesota) were both shut out.



_________________
On Christmas Day, the Gingerbread Man said, ‘Ladyfingers, be my wife.’
Aladyyn



Joined: 23 Jul 2017
Posts: 1433
Location: Czech Republic


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/11/19 9:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Canada over Atkins is pretty bad imo


SpaceJunkie



Joined: 10 Sep 2012
Posts: 3865
Location: Minnesota


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/11/19 9:48 am    ::: Re: Offical 2019 WNBA Awards Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
*While it is fun to ridicule the trade to Seattle it was a calculated risk to get a lottery that didn't work, not just a give away like the trade to MN from IN.


Dev Peters ruled, so it wasn't a giveaway at the time. And anybody who is smart would risk their entire team not dying too to get a player who is better than anybody in the upcoming draft—but there was no risk since the Storm were guarnateed to make the title last year and the Lynx guaranteed to finish .500ish. Smile




Last edited by SpaceJunkie on 09/11/19 9:52 am; edited 1 time in total
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 59656
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/11/19 9:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:
Canada over Atkins is pretty bad imo


Leading the league in steals usually gets extra acclaim.



_________________
On Christmas Day, the Gingerbread Man said, ‘Ladyfingers, be my wife.’
Aladyyn



Joined: 23 Jul 2017
Posts: 1433
Location: Czech Republic


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/11/19 9:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:
Canada over Atkins is pretty bad imo


Leading the league in steals usually gets extra acclaim.

It shouldn't. Steals are a pretty messy stat.

It's also funny that Atkins and Clark play the exact same position on the court yet one made All-Defense as a guard and the other as a forward Very Happy


justintyme



Joined: 08 Jul 2012
Posts: 7812
Location: Northfield, MN


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/11/19 9:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:
Canada over Atkins is pretty bad imo


Leading the league in steals usually gets extra acclaim.

Especially since coaches vote for this. Coaches notice steals as they lead to easy transition points...



_________________
↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
snlMINAJ



Joined: 21 Jan 2010
Posts: 823



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/11/19 10:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
snlMINAJ wrote:
if they announced this and natasha howard as DPOY you know that means collier did not get ROY... otherwise she would be given the award tonight.

Doubt it. They usually give out the award in front of home crowds when possible. That isn't possible for the Lynx or the Wings, so ROY can be awarded whenever. But what they don't want to do is tread on someone else's day. This would be Howard's moment in front of her fans. If another teammate won something, then sure, but not an opponent.


absolutely correct, i totally forgot that aspect of it (home vs/ away) thanks!


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 52470



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/11/19 12:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There’s still a possibility of the Lynx getting a home game if they make it to the semifinals 5-game series.



Ideally, both PHX and MIN meet in the Finals. The odds of that happening are astronomical but still there.

MIN over SEA
PHX over CHI

MIN over LVA
PHX over LAS

MIN over CON
PHX over WAS

PHX vs MIN for the Finals

I’m rooting for PHX in the first couple of rounds because avoiding WAS would be a sweet route for MIN to the Finals.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
justintyme



Joined: 08 Jul 2012
Posts: 7812
Location: Northfield, MN


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/11/19 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
There’s still a possibility of the Lynx getting a home game if they make it to the semifinals 5-game series.



Ideally, both PHX and MIN meet in the Finals. The odds of that happening are astronomical but still there.

MIN over SEA
PHX over CHI

MIN over LVA
PHX over LAS

MIN over CON
PHX over WAS

PHX vs MIN for the Finals

I’m rooting for PHX in the first couple of rounds because avoiding WAS would be a sweet route for MIN to the Finals.

Ahh yeah, you are correct of course. I guess I kind of ruled that long shot possibility out in my mind.



_________________
↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
mavcarter
#NAPT


Joined: 02 Sep 2010
Posts: 5044
Location: Chicago


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/11/19 1:38 pm    ::: Re: Offical 2019 WNBA Awards Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
COY: James Wade


Wonder how Mother Jones is doing.



_________________
wrote:
Or maybe said poster should quit being a nuisance when people don’t agree?
Randy



Joined: 08 Oct 2011
Posts: 9315



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/11/19 1:52 pm    ::: Re: Offical 2019 WNBA Awards Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
justintyme wrote:
COY: James Wade


Wonder how Mother Jones is doing.


Maybe we can just call her MoJo......



_________________
2019 RebKell Tipping Contest Champion
toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 20196



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/13/19 5:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hamby has won 6th woman.



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
SpaceJunkie



Joined: 10 Sep 2012
Posts: 3865
Location: Minnesota


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/13/19 9:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Hamby has won 6th woman.


Where did you see that? Even if it's obvious she's going to win, I haven't seen any announcement anywhere yet.


mavcarter
#NAPT


Joined: 02 Sep 2010
Posts: 5044
Location: Chicago


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/13/19 10:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think toad is referring to AP, not officially.



_________________
wrote:
Or maybe said poster should quit being a nuisance when people don’t agree?
bballgrl



Joined: 15 Sep 2007
Posts: 3584



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/13/19 8:01 pm    ::: Re: Offical 2019 WNBA Awards Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Randy wrote:
justintyme wrote:
COY: James Wade

DPotY: Natasha Howard


Howard is a perfect example of how difficult talent evaluation is. She mainly sat on the bench for 4 years on 2 teams with some of the best coaches in the WNBA and was traded away by both of those teams for little in return.* She goes to a 3rd team (with a much less respected coach) and becomes an All WNBA player. She suddenly also develops a 3 point shot which she had little history of in prior years. Shows that sometimes coaches can't even spot talent on their own bench.

To a certain extent, sure. But this is a player who averaged 17mpg as a rookie on a team that made the Conference Finals. And who showed enough in her two Minnesota seasons that several of us said, repeatedly, that if the Lynx didn't pay her when she came off her rookie scale deal then someone else definitely would. This isn't, say, Evelyn Akhator becoming an all-star. I don't think anyone really expected her to become a genuine MVP candidate, but a very good player was definitely in there somewhere during her Fever/Lynx years.


As far as I am concerned she should have received the MP award!!


Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin