RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Indiana Fever 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PUmatty

PostPosted: 06/28/20 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Well then all twelve players are at practice and accounted for. Does question why McCall is there?

I wonder if "open run invite" lets teams (or the league) have a pool of unsigned players in the bubble that will available as injury/illness replacements?

Randy

PostPosted: 06/28/20 1:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Covid 19 Insurance.

toad455

PostPosted: 06/28/20 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Well then all twelve players are at practice and accounted for. Does question why McCall is there?

I wonder if "open run invite" lets teams (or the league) have a pool of unsigned players in the bubble that will available as injury/illness replacements?

Kind of felt this was needed. Let the league bring 8-10 replacement players to the bubble in case of mid-season opt-out or injuries.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
PUmatty

PostPosted: 06/28/20 1:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Kind of felt this was needed. Let the league bring 8-10 replacement players to the bubble in case of mid-season opt-out or injuries.

My thought would be 12 players. Let each team pick one. Something like that.

Randy

PostPosted: 06/28/20 3:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good idea - then teams could trade those players for a replacement player if the positional need is not right. For ex, Indy needs a 2, but has a 4. Trades her to some other team for a 2 (or maybe a 3rd round draft pick or a bottle of hand sanitizer.)

pilight

PostPosted: 06/28/20 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Do we expect them to live in the bubble without pay?

PostPosted: 06/28/20 3:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
toad455 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Do we expect them to live in the bubble without pay?

maybe they can get a training camp type of contract?

toad455

PostPosted: 07/01/20 5:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/basketball/wnba/fever/2020/07/01/indiana-fever-streaming-all-games-free-once-wnba-restarts/5356304002/

Quote:
The organization announced Wednesday that fans in all 92 counties in the state will be able to stream games, with games being played at IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida. Details about what platform and other information regarding the streaming has not yet been announced.

Quote:
Though a restart date and schedule have yet to be announced for the league, the Fever and other teams will soon report to Bradenton, with games anticipated to tip off later in July. The Fever aren't expected to have anyone on their 12-woman roster sit out the restart, per the team's release.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/01/20 5:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It seems optimistic to me that they'll be able to geo-block it accurately enough to pull that off, but the idea is cool. Hopefully they'll lean towards letting a few extra people stream them for free than try to be too careful and end up with complaints.

Talking of which, at some point they probably need to start selling/advertising/whatever the 2020 League Pass. I presume they're trying to hold off on stuff like that and the schedule until they're absolutely sure the games are going to happen, but eventually they've just got to jump. Maybe things finally start to kick in properly once the teams are actually in Florida...

PostPosted: 07/02/20 2:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/basketball/wnba/fever/2020/07/01/indiana-fever-streaming-all-games-free-once-wnba-restarts/5356304002/

Quote:
The organization announced Wednesday that fans in all 92 counties in the state will be able to stream games, with games being played at IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida. Details about what platform and other information regarding the streaming has not yet been announced.

For a short article, there's honestly a lot to say here. I don't know how lucrative local tv deals are for a team/the League, but with no ticket revenue, it seems like this kind of thing would further put a team in a hole. How are the owners ok with this since I perceive it to mean less revenue? Or to pose it a different way, how much do the owners view this year as a complete loss and this move as sort of a 'goodwill' investment for the future?

Too, I wonder if this means other teams will be doing free streaming for their respective local fanbase. Otherwise, it'd be kind of weird not to have that kind of set standard across the League. On a semi-related personal note, my wallet and I are ready to renew my full League Pass subscription no matter what the cost is this year.

Quote:
Though a restart date and schedule have yet to be announced for the league, the Fever and other teams will soon report to Bradenton, with games anticipated to tip off later in July. The Fever aren't expected to have anyone on their 12-woman roster sit out the restart, per the team's release.

And then we get to the basketball side of things. The Fever as a whole have flown under the radar since their (intentional?) passivity in free agency. But if they can start at and stay at full strength while other teams projected ahead of them have to deal with missing pieces or incorporating new ones, that could give the Fever a real advantage in a shortened season. While the addition of Cox will be important, she's still just a rookie - Stanley's the real wild card as to how she's going to play this group. I can't say I know what this team hitting their ceiling would look like for this year when most of the other teams will basically be varying degrees of weakened versions of themselves.

If Dupree is showing up, I'm guessing that means Bonner will as well for Connecticut? (considering she's the one that would be leaving a giant contract on the table were she to opt out)

toad455

PostPosted: 07/10/20 8:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anyone know if the Fever are traveling today to Florida?

Shades

PostPosted: 07/10/20 9:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/01fDqQLy-KI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight

PostPosted: 07/11/20 11:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fever will arrive in Bradenton today

PostPosted: 07/11/20 11:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://fever.wnba.com/news/indiana-fever-bradenton/

No word if the entire team is traveling or which two players tested positive.

Randy

PostPosted: 07/11/20 11:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

Could be the entire team if the 2 players cleared quarantine, which would depend on when they actually first tested positive.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 07/11/20 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Could be the entire team if the 2 players cleared quarantine, which would depend on when they actually first tested positive.

Erica Wheeler said on Twitter that she is not with the team as she "follows one more round WNBA protocol."

https://twitter.com/EWeezy_For3eezy/status/1282008175156310016

Would seem like she one of the positive tests, and that she is doing well.

Shades

PostPosted: 07/11/20 4:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/basketball/wnba/fever/2020/07/11/indiana-fever-join-rest-wnba-florida/5421006002/

Quote:
The other 11 teams traveled to Florida earlier in the week, but the Fever waited after two players tested positive for COVID-19. The team said Monday the unidentified players were asymptomatic.

There’s the video with Catchings and Stanley talking about the outlook for the season.

toad455

PostPosted: 07/11/20 4:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Achonwa, Dupree, Burke, Doyle and T. Mitchell have arrived. McCowan, Allemand & K. Mitchell are arriving "later".

Edited to add that the McCowan-Allemand-KMitchell flight was either delayed or canceled.

toad455

PostPosted: 07/11/20 10:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Achonwa, Dupree, Burke, Doyle and T. Mitchell have arrived. McCowan, Allemand & K. Mitchell are arriving "later".

Edited to add that the McCowan-Allemand-KMitchell flight was either delayed or canceled.

The later flight arrived which also had Mavunga and Vivians. This is to be assumed that Wheeler and Cox might be the two Fever players that tested positive.

mannman

PostPosted: 07/12/20 11:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
toad455 wrote:

The later flight arrived which also had Mavunga and Vivians. This is to be assumed that Wheeler and Cox might be the two Fever players that tested positive.

Yet, there are photos of Cox practicing on Twitter. I would advise to be careful to jump to any conclusions w/o the facts.

toad455

PostPosted: 07/14/20 6:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cox and Wheeler are the only two Fever players not in the bubble yet. So I would assume that Cox is indeed the second Fever player that tested positive.

Shades

PostPosted: 07/15/20 2:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/basketball/wnba/fever/2020/07/15/indiana-fever-arrive-wnba-bubble-restart/5442469002/

Quote:
Cox has yet to join team
Stanley also noted that Lauren Cox, the third overall pick in this year's draft, is not yet in the bubble due to medical protocols.

"She’s good," Stanley said. "Talk to her every day. She’s very upbeat, excited. As soon as she gets here, we’ll let you know.”

Shades

PostPosted: 07/17/20 6:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allow="autoplay; fullscreen" src="https://w3.cdn.anvato.net/player/prod/v3/anvload.html?key=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%3D%3D" width ="640" height="360"></iframe>

Shades

PostPosted: 07/19/20 7:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Amid the new normal, former Hawkeye Kathleen Doyle navigates the start of her WNBA career
https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sports/college/iowa/basketball-women/2020/07/19/former-iowa-hawkeye-kathleen-doyle-navigates-hectic-start-wnba-career/5469116002/

Quote:
"One, what we liked is that she obviously had a lot of talent, she had a lot of grit," Smith said. "Great character kid, or young lady I should say, and we just feel like her potential is limitless. I compare her to a player that I saw come in years ago as a rookie that has the same type of grit and fire, and that was Courtney Vandersloot. And so if Kathleen does what she’s supposed to do, I think her potential is like that."

With point guard Erica Wheeler yet to arrive in Bradenton, Doyle and fellow newcomer Julie Allemand have taken a larger load in practices. She's trying to be confident but cognizant, learning from mistakes while asserting herself. Whether or not that will get her ready for the season, though, belies that Doyle is working through all of this as her first professional experiences, and in a league where — under normal circumstances — second-round picks often struggle to stick.

Shades

PostPosted: 07/22/20 8:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/basketball/wnba/fever/2020/07/22/indiana-fever-2020-team-breakdown-guards-forwards-centers/5486465002/

Quote:
Without Wheeler, newcomers Allemand and Doyle will be asked to shoulder more of the point guard duties. Allemand has experience playing overseas and with the Belgian national team, but it may take her time to adjust to the pace, size and strength of players in the WNBA. Doyle has been one of the stars of camp so far, but asking a rookie to run the team is a tall order.

Quote:
Kelsey Mitchell, the team's most dynamic scorer, said that even though she spent some time playing point guard last season, she expects to play off the ball this season.

Quote:
Tiffany Mitchell will likely return to her role as a spark plug off the bench, but the return of Victoria Vivians after missing all of last season with a knee injury could unlock the team's offense.

Quote:
Picking the forward out of Baylor was a great combination of need mixed with best player available, but without the benefit of a training camp, it's unclear how much impact [Cox] can have.

Quote:
No player in WNBA history has made more 2-pointers than Dupree, but she's been asked to expand her game as well. Dupree is a 26% 3-point shooter for her career.

Will Dupree be starting at the SF position?

Quote:
Former college teammates Victoria Vivians said she noticed McCowan's growth throughout her rookie year and is excited to see her continued progress.

"She's improved a lot from last year," Vivians said. "I can tell during training camp through the beginning of the season she was kind of timid and didn't want to mess up. As the season went on and practice went on and she just got the hang of it, she's starting to get a whole lot better and more comfortable, more confident.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: