Board Junkies Forums

Dallas Wings 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 02/17/20 4:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
myrtle wrote:
A. Gray was the other (and much better IMO) option last year. She actually played it some in college, has the better handle, and can shoot. I wouldn't want her as my fulltime PG either, but would much prefer her if the choice was between her and Davis.

The difference between Gray and Davis as a point guard is not enough to even try to make a point about it.

Gray has some strengths...

PostPosted: 02/17/20 5:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Shades wrote:
myrtle wrote:
A. Gray was the other (and much better IMO) option last year. She actually played it some in college, has the better handle, and can shoot. I wouldn't want her as my fulltime PG either, but would much prefer her if the choice was between her and Davis.

The difference between Gray and Davis as a point guard is not enough to even try to make a point about it.

Gray has some strengths...

Fwiw, Gray posted both her best overall FG% and 3PT% last year, despite having a lot less talent around her than her first two years.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/21/20 2:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Earlier today I had the strongest desire to see Dallas f*ck around and trade for both Tina Charles and Sylvia Fowles. Obviously I'm still thinking about all those first-rounders the Wings have both this year and next. I just really, really, reeeeeeeally want to know how they're planning on dealing with that. Twisted Evil

Cuz Brian Agler isn't trying to hear "With the _ Pick, the Dallas Wings select" repeated by the Commish at the podium four different times. Laughing

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 02/21/20 2:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Earlier today I had the strongest desire to see Dallas f*ck around and trade for both Tina Charles and Sylvia Fowles. Obviously I'm still thinking about all those first-rounders the Wings have both this year and next. I just really, really, reeeeeeeally want to know how they're planning on dealing with that. Twisted Evil

Cuz Brian Agler isn't trying to hear "With the _ Pick, the Dallas Wings select" repeated by the Commish at the podium four different times. Laughing

six if you count round two.

If you are a player I am sure you would rather be picked in the third round by any other team then be picked in the 2nd round by Dallas.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/21/20 2:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

six if you count round two.

If you are a player I am sure you would rather be picked in the third round by any other team then be picked in the 2nd round by Dallas.

Rounds two and three I thought were never announced by the President? Although honestly I don't remember if that was even the case last year. And maybe that changes this year, since this will be the first draft the W has had being manned by specifically a Commissioner.

Absolutely, anyone Dallas picks that isn't with a lottery pick should be nervous lol.

pilight

PostPosted: 02/21/20 3:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wings acquire Marina Mabrey for a 2021 2nd round pick

#NATC

PostPosted: 02/21/20 3:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Wings sure do have a lot of wings..

PostPosted: 02/21/20 3:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mabrey Samuelson Ogunbowale all on the same team

PostPosted: 02/21/20 4:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:

Well they aren't the Dallas Post or the Dallas Point now are they?

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 02/21/20 4:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BamaEd wrote:
mavcarter wrote:

Well they aren't the Dallas Post or the Dallas Point now are they?

Touché. Cool Laughing

PostPosted: 02/21/20 6:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wings roster(15):
Anigwe
Bertsch
Davis
Gray
Gustafson
Harrison
Hill
Jefferson
Mabrey
McGee-Stafford
Ndour
Ogunbowale
Katie Lou Samuelson
Karlie Samuelson
Thornton
Plus all those draft picks.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/21/20 6:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:
Mabrey to Dallas for a 2021 2nd rounder

BOOYAH!

But another player for Dallas? WTF?
I believe they’re up to 14 players signed plus 4 first round picks.
That’s at least 6 cuts at this point.
I don’t think I’d feel very comfortable being a middlin’ player signed by Dallas.

By my count, it's 15 players signed.

This trade makes it even more evident that something big (or two?) is gonna happen, that'll cause them to trade back a package (or two). Charles? Fowles? The Ogwumikes? Howard? The #1 Pick aka Ionescu? McCowan? (she is from Texas.) The rights to Maya Moore?? I don't even know what other names to throw out there at this point! Been there, done that with discussing pretty much all of them, and most of those names are a reach as it is. This league just ain't that big!!

Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/21/20 6:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A lot of those players remain really cuttable. And if you've got 5 players who are all worth 20 cents each, it doesn't mean someone's trading you a dollar for them. I can see people being interested in their draft picks; I can't see too many people being interested in the players they'd like to combine into a package and get rid of.

PostPosted: 02/21/20 9:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Wings roster(15):
Anigwe
Bertsch
Davis
Gray
Gustafson
Harrison
Hill
Jefferson
Mabrey
McGee-Stafford
Ndour
Ogunbowale
Katie Lou Samuelson
Karlie Samuelson
Thornton
Plus all those draft picks.

Not seeing a lot of "WNBA starter level talent" in that list.

toad455

PostPosted: 02/21/20 10:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jefferson, Ogunbowale, the #2 pick(Sabally), Ndour & Harrison should be their starters. if I were to pick 12 to assemble their roster, it would be:

PG: Jefferson/#7 pick
SG: Ogunbowale/Gray/Mabrey
SF: Sabally/Katie Lou Samuelson
PF: Ndour/Thornton/#5 pick(Hebert)
C: Harrison/McGee-Stafford

Bertsch, Gustafson & Karlie Samuelson are on training camp contracts. Anigwe & Davis are on rookie contracts. The #9 pick might beat out Mabrey. I wonder if the Wings can offer Hill a buyout similar to what the Aces did last year with Kelsey Bone? No one is making the max in Dallas, so it might be an option.

TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 02/21/20 10:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Jefferson, Ogunbowale, the #2 pick(Sabally), Ndour & Harrison should be their starters. if I were to pick 12 to assemble their roster, it would be:

PG: Jefferson/#7 pick
SG: Ogunbowale/Gray/Mabrey
SF: Sabally/Katie Lou Samuelson
PF: Ndour/Thornton/#5 pick(Hebert)
C: Harrison/McGee-Stafford

Bertsch, Gustafson & Karlie Samuelson are on training camp contracts. Anigwe & Davis are on rookie contracts. The #9 pick might beat out Mabrey. I wonder if the Wings can offer Hill a buyout similar to what the Aces did last year with Kelsey Bone? No one is making the max in Dallas, so it might be an option.

Except Gustafson was signed to a multi-year deal. Probably isn’t protected, but I’m not sure they’d go that same route considering the backlash they got the first time.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/22/20 1:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So let's assume then that absolutely no more moves are made between now and the draft, and they make do with exactly what they have as of now. Here's what I came up with:

PG: Ogunbowale/Jefferson
SG: Gray/Hill
SF: Thornton/KLS
PF: #2/Harrison
C: Ndour

Remaining Perimeter Players: Davis, K-Sam, Mabrey
Remaining Post Players: Anigwe, IMS, Gustafson, Bertsch
#5, 7, 9, 15, 21 (coincidentally, this totals 21 assets in all)

Hill would all but have to agree to a buy-out if the Wings want her gone, but A) Why would she do that when there's a very high chance that no other team would want her? and B) I think the Wings will try and make it work for the year, helped by the fact that this is the last year on her contract.

In this setup, Ogunbowale continues to start at PG and Jefferson gets eased back into things from the bench. That would fill the PG hole and create more openings for their many "wing" players to get playing time. The 9 listed in the depth chart are virtual guarantees; Still, maybe one of those players on there gets cut, is bought out, or sits out (Ndour is of course on the Spanish National team).

That leaves 3 or 4 remaining spots... for the remaining 12 people in the Players&Picks Pile. There's no way the #5 doesn't make it. I'd even be surprised if the #7 didn't make it. That leaves as many as 3 spots - and as few as one spot. Bye, Bertsch. I'm surprised they even re-signed McGee-Stafford, considering a mediocre year last year and the speculated work-ethic issues that led to her release in Australia earlier in the winter, but she won't stop being 6'7 anytime soon. Gustafson really should've given her free agent status a chance, for her own sake; but maybe she did, and the Wings were just able to persuade her to come back. I could see Anigwe getting cut here since Curt Miller even casually said at one point that Anigwe was having a hard time adjusting to either his system or the W in general - and obviously she's here and not there anymore - but she might have the most upside out of this entire group. K-Sam is totally superfluous with the addition of her younger, taller, better sister; but it's tough to say if Agler will actually let her go for real this time. Mabrey is truly a bizarre addition, as she basically profiles as another Samuelson, but she arguably would've had even less of a chance in LA given the guards they've brought in. And Davis' time with the Wings should really be put out of its misery already, but maybe they actually value her - she was a part of their rotation the entire season last year, after all.

So to the other three picks I didn't mention: good f*cking luck to you all.

How many are allowed in training camp - 15 or 17? So 4 or 6 players in this scenario would have to be unavailable (still be overseas, etc.) at the start of training camp, and maybe the Wings already know that this will be the case.

Overall, I continue to be very skeptical that the Wings will be content to cut 9 players - with nearly half of those being legit maybe-even-more-than-fringe-W players. So that's why I think at least one big move is coming. But even if it never does, they could do little two-for-one deals that cut their raw number of assets down. Vegas and Connecticut in particular are slim on pieces - they should call them up first. Too, they should hit up the other teams with first-round picks and see if those teams want to trade down, allowing the Wings to trade up.

The ideas though that the Wings are just gonna stay like this and that basically none of these other players (or picks) that they've stockpiled have no value are absolutely preposterous - to me, anyway. Now that they've gotten rid of who they needed to; I, for one, am very excited to see how creative they get the rest of the way. Wink

pilight

PostPosted: 03/30/20 9:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

McGee-Stafford to Step Away From WNBA, Attend Law School

https://wings.wnba.com/news/mcgee-stafford-to-step-away-from-wnba-attend-law-school/

Quote:
"I am very thankful to Wings Nation for embracing me,” McGee-Stafford said. “I was accepted to Southwestern Law’s accelerated J.D. program and thus will be taking a two-year hiatus from basketball. While I am saddened to step away from such a big part of my life, I’m also excited for this next chapter. I am thankful to Coach Agler and Greg Bibb for being so understanding and supportive.”

PostPosted: 03/30/20 9:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

https://wings.wnba.com/news/mcgee-stafford-to-step-away-from-wnba-attend-law-school/

Quote:
"I am very thankful to Wings Nation for embracing me,” McGee-Stafford said. “I was accepted to Southwestern Law’s accelerated J.D. program and thus will be taking a two-year hiatus from basketball. While I am saddened to step away from such a big part of my life, I’m also excited for this next chapter. I am thankful to Coach Agler and Greg Bibb for being so understanding and supportive.”

Does this make Cox the pick now ?

PostPosted: 03/30/20 9:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

Nah, they still have a bunch of post players to figure out and Sabally can play the 4. Harrison is still the starter at C, but this just helps Agler with one less cut to make. It probably helps Gustafson & Angiwe, too.

PG: Jefferson/draft pick
SG: Ogunbowale/Gray
SF: Sabally/Samuelson/Thornton
PF: Ndour/draft pick
C: Harrison/Gustafson/Anigwe

Shades

PostPosted: 03/30/20 9:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Quote:

She knew she was on the bubble anyway with her training camp contract.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
TigerVol

PostPosted: 03/30/20 9:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

Good for her.

Never seemed to me that bball was her main passion.

Not to suggest she didn't work at her craft seemed she liked it and had natural talent vs. Being driven on the court.

Hope law school takes her toward work she finds wholly fulfilling.

PostPosted: 03/30/20 9:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

Nah, they still have a bunch of post players to figure out and Sabally can play the 4. Harrison is still the starter at C, but this just helps Agler with one less cut to make. It probably helps Gustafson & Angiwe, too.

Your optimism is one of a kind toad . I love it ! Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 03/30/20 9:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

With IMS gone, that brings Dallas down to 14 signed.

Jefferson/Mabrey
Ogunbowale/Gray/Hill
Thornton/KLSamuelson
Ndour/Gustafson
Harrison/Anigwe

Others available
Morgan Bertsch
Kaela Davis
Karlie Samuelson

Draft picks
2 -
5 -
7 -
9 -
15 -
21 -

I’d say they definitely need more help in the post.
I think they give KLS at least a season to show something, so SF isn’t a huge area of need.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
root_thing

PostPosted: 03/30/20 10:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TigerVol wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

Good for her.

Never seemed to me that bball was her main passion.

Not to suggest she didn't work at her craft seemed she liked it and had natural talent vs. Being driven on the court.

Hope law school takes her toward work she finds wholly fulfilling.

This interview makes it clear how Imani feels about basketball:

Quote:
My brother is seven feet tall, and I'm 6'7", which made it clear that basketball was what we were going to do. Everybody knew I was going to play basketball before I did.

Quote:
I believe that the only reason I'm playing basketball for a living is so that I can talk about mental illness, sexual abuse, and healthy relationships. I thought I was the only person experiencing those issues when I was growing up. Now that I have this platform, I have to use it to let people know that they’re not alone.

When basketball sucks I know that I have the chance to help people and impact lives. That's why I wake up every day. I’m launching a non-profit called the Hoops and Hope Foundation later this year. If I die and the only thing people say is that I could ball, I'll feel like I failed. I want to make the most of the time I have.

http://www.mtv.com/news/3128981/imani-mcgee-stafford-wnba-interview/

I can imagine IMS becoming one of these high profile trial attorneys who is always talking to the press. Smile

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 15 of 22

Jump to: