Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 109, 110, 111  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 02/15/20 12:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
Her agent must be an absolute mastermind.

If she's still with SIG, they have an excellent reputation for that sort of thing

That's Ticha's agency, right? #MFFL

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/15/20 12:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
pilight wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
Her agent must be an absolute mastermind.

If she's still with SIG, they have an excellent reputation for that sort of thing

That's Ticha's agency, right? #MFFL

Yes. Found their client list, which does indeed include Hartley: https://sigsports.com/wnba/ . Lot of players on there with interesting contract situations. Not all good, not all bad, but an interesting mix. Probably a good sign that they treat their clients as individual cases, rather than having a one-size-fits-all approach.

PostPosted: 02/15/20 9:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So where will Tina Charles end up?

Just to be clear and like Charles and would be very happy if she stayed in NY at least to help christen Barclays but since it came out the PX is interested and Charles is cored meaning she has to agree to the trade it seems possible that there is mutual interest from Charles and management in her moving on.

In descending order of likelyhood imo

1 stays in NY another year. I can think of lots of reasons to move on but the price and place must be right and i feel like there is a one in two chance nothing works out and I don't see either side think sitting is better than playing.

2 PX, PX has been publically connected to being interested in her and tbh there make over to contend in what is likely DT last year is incomplete without another Charles level player (it probably is still a long shot with Charles but anyway) the problem with PX lack of assets. Could B. Turner, pick 10 and maybe a 2021 pick get it done? Maybe, but I am not sure B. Turner is an easy piece for them to give up since they actually need cheap good players to fill out their bench. I think turner would have to be included unless px can flip January for something decent to include. Still PX is interested and could find a way to get it done.

3. Atlanta bear with me. Atlanta with Johnson and Hayes and or C. Williams if you add Charles has some potential to be good. Also it is possible Charles in friends with Montgomery and Hayes and that has some appeal. Atlanta also has some assets the #4 pick and Billings seems like a decent place to start a couple early declarations and that pick has good value as a player or draft day trade.

4. Minny a core of Collier, Charles and Fowls doesn't sound so bad. Reeve's knows Charles from team USA, maybe Charles is friends with Moore and could add a fraction more interest for Moore to return. Pick #6 and Shepard could probably get the conversation started between the teams.

Las Vegas ok this hinges on one big variable which is Cambage deciding to skip the season. Laimbeer likes his retreads, Wilson and Charles can play together upfront even if they are both best at pf. Plum, McBride McCoughtry Charles and Wilson is still a pretty strong starting line up. The baseline for the trade would have to be something like Hamby and 2021 first round pick.

5. Dallas ok I don't think Charles would want to go to Dallas but Dallas could put together a much meatier package then most. They could start with the number 2 pick or ithey want to keep that 5, 7, Anigwe Gray, 2021 pick, Thorton Gustafson they can put a few of this pieces together for a respectable offer.

I feel like most of the other teams are off the board with very slim exceptions

Conn (Exception)A Thomas behind the scenes wants to leave Conn then an A. Thomas Charles swap is in order.

Chicago 1 decides to play Stevens at the SF spot and two some tension behind the scenes with Deshields Charles for Deshields seem possible heck NY might even have to throw in Boyd or #13 to replace Faulkner.

Washington maybe if Meesseman doesn't show which she will but if she didn't Mike T and Charles might want to reunite and go far a championship. Powers Cloud hinges-Allen pick 12 2021 pick a couple of those together could work.

Again I see everything after Minn as an extreme long shot but there you go.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 02/15/20 9:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Posting from phone sorry for all the typos auto corrects and mistakes in long post

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/15/20 9:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not meaning to be DebbieDowner but Charles, even though only 31, has certainly looked to be on the downward slope of her career. Wasn't last year her worst by far? I'm thinking that if NY wants some value, now would be the time to move her. Who knows, maybe a change would help revive her career, but right now I'd rather have some younger pieces.

And since she forced her way to NY, I'm assuming she would only leave for a potential championship team.

- Amanda Gorman
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 02/15/20 9:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am guessing that this will be the week of decision. There's already been a lot of WNBA player movement in this offseason, including movement of really valuable players. It could be, as J-Spoon has suggested, that Kolb and Hopkins want to move Charles, that Charles wants to head elsewhere, and yet it just doesn't happen this winter. Still could happen midseason. Or perhaps next winter.

It's not ideal for the Liberty, or for Tina Charles, to have this drag on and on. There are only 11 other teams. Certainly possible that Kolb has been talking with all of them already. My guess, based on absolutely no private information, is that we're going to know something soon.

I hope Tina Charles remains on the Liberty for 2020 and longer. But, if that's the case even just for 2020, I'll have to hope that any serious bad feelings between Charles and Hopkins especially, but also Charles and Kolb, can be worked out. Otherwise this could get messy.

PostPosted: 02/15/20 10:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
And since she forced her way to NY, I'm assuming she would only leave for a potential championship team.

If the Storm ever traded, say, Howard, for a trade package that included Charles, I'm putting it out there that both my reaction and my opinion would be entirely represented by the Kombucha girl meme: https://www.tiktok.com/@brittany_broski/video/6722234609188310277?lang=en

bluedevilaztecfan5

PostPosted: 02/15/20 10:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://amp.azcentral.com/amp/4762305002?__twitter_impression=true

Quote:
Taurasi, of course, knows about reports that the Mercury are trying to acquire New York Liberty 6-4 All-WNBA center Tina Charles to pair with 6-9 Griner.

"I don’t pray much, but I’ve been praying every night for that," Taurasi said.

I know it doesn’t mean it’s gonna happen, but looks like Taurasi wants Tina in Phoenix this summer.
I too hope we hear news this week. But I also want Kolb to push for the best deal possible, so if it means I have to suffer Razz a little longer, so be it.

toad455

PostPosted: 02/15/20 10:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bluedevilaztecfan5 wrote:

Quote:
Taurasi, of course, knows about reports that the Mercury are trying to acquire New York Liberty 6-4 All-WNBA center Tina Charles to pair with 6-9 Griner.

I know it doesn’t mean it’s gonna happen, but looks like Taurasi wants Tina in Phoenix this summer.
I too hope we hear news this week. But I also want Kolb to push for the best deal possible, so if it means I have to suffer Razz a little longer, so be it.

Getting any deal involving January just doesn't work with the Liberty. Maybe there's a third team involved? Minnesota? January goes to Minnesota. Charles & Boyd to Phoenix & the Liberty get B. Turner, the #6 pick & #10 pick. Minnesota also gets the #13 pick.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
myrtle

PostPosted: 02/15/20 10:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought January was thinking about retiring a couple of years ago...then was happy to go back 'home' to Arizona. Would she be willing to be shipped elsewhere? If not something she wanted, I suspect she would just go back to coaching college.

- Amanda Gorman
justintyme

PostPosted: 02/15/20 10:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
bluedevilaztecfan5 wrote:

Quote:

Getting any deal involving January just doesn't work with the Liberty. Maybe there's a third team involved? Minnesota? January goes to Minnesota. Charles & Boyd to Phoenix & the Liberty get B. Turner, the #6 pick & #10 pick. Minnesota also gets the #13 pick.

I doubt Minnesota would give up pick #6 for this. I could see them giving up Temi and #14, but #6 right now is almost certain to be a promising young PG like Dangerfield or Harris. January could be a good fit if the price is right, but they shouldn't over-extend to get a player who is likely in the last couple years of her career.

Especially since if Phoenix wants Charles they pretty much *need* to get rid of January.

PostPosted: 02/15/20 11:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

I love how in every trade you propose Boyd is gone. Smile

PostPosted: 02/15/20 11:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We had such high hopes for Boyd but ...

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 02/15/20 11:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A fun side idea I had for PX was trading the rights to Xargay for to Seattle for the rights to Magbegor. PX can afford Magbegor, she gets to be with the Aussie coach and Xargay might actual want to show up for Seattle at least after the Olympics and she is better than KML or whatever Seattle is likely to get at #11 in the draft for a playoff push,

Magbegor showing up gives PX another low cost post which makes giving up B. Turner a little easier.

Since January most likely can't get the 6 back from Minny maybe Minny would give up Shepard
(ideally January rethinks retirement and decides getting 90K or close for a summer job is worth hanging around a year or two even if she isn't in PX)

send Turner and #10 to NY not great but Turner in a couple years or sooner will be better than Stokes or Gray and fits with the New Liberty timeline get lucky at 10 I would like more for NY but that might be enough if it is inevitable that Charles isn't going to be in NY (I mean might as well push for the 2021 1srt round pick as well but...)

NY
Ionescu/Clarendon
Durr/Johannes
Nurse/Allen
Zahui B/Gray
Stokes/Turner

#10 possible Posts Holmes, Allarie, Gillespie possible Wing /Guards Harris, Cooper, Martin, Dangerfield

you've still got Boyd, Raincock-Ekunwe and a late showing Han Xu as options

#13 some of the above at 10 and throw in Odom, Laska, Herbert-Harrigan and others

and PX has something like

SDS/maybe Seekamp or pick 17
Hartley/Y. Turner or pick 18
DT/Cunningham
Charles/A. Smith/Shepard
Griner/Magbegor

it could work out OK for both teams

Last edited by J-Spoon on 02/15/20 11:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/15/20 11:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Boyd's not going to Phoenix when they've got Taurasi, Diggins-Smith and Hartley as ballhandlers and the whole point of getting rid of January would be to create cap space. Why would they want Boyd on 82k?

PostPosted: 02/15/20 11:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Since January most likely can't get the 6 back from Minny maybe Minny would give up Shepard

The Lynx can give up the #14 pick or 2nd round pick for another year and that's as much as I'd give up.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 02/15/20 11:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Mercury are clearly suckers, so I respect NY for trying to clean house.

Give us your tired, whose shooting is poor,
Your huddled Nayos, Brias, and even Brittany
The bench-warmers of your sea-foamy shore.
Send these, the unwanted & unhealthy to AZ,
We making deals like we ain't care no more.

PostPosted: 02/16/20 12:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:

Give us your tired, whose shooting is poor,
Your huddled Nayos, Brias, and even Brittany
The bench-warmers of your sea-foamy shore.
Send these, the unwanted & unhealthy to AZ,
We making deals like we ain't care no more.

This is one of the great sports poems ever. Bravo!

PostPosted: 02/16/20 8:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I nominate Luuc to be the Poet Laureate of ReKell!

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 02/16/20 9:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I haven’t posted for a bit but some crazy stuff going on. Clearly Tina’s athleticism is slipping. Watching her on team USA she can barely jump and has lost quite a bit of quickness. Her body has likely paid a price from years of trying to be the team’s entire offense.

That said, she still has great post moves and a good shooting touch, particularly from 15’ and in. In a reduced role, I think Tina can be effective. It is noteworthy that her efficiency was mentioned as an area of improvement by Walt Hopkins.

I don’t think #10 plus a player is enough to get it done. At least IMO. When these rumors began, I am wondering if the Libs’ organization was trying to figure out a way to combine Hebard with Ionescu for chemistry reasons as well as in regard to Hebard’s explosive upside. Now that any assets Phoenix had that might have enabled Hebard’s acquisition have been dealt, I’d guess there’s a third team that would need to be involved. Turner/Smith + #10 isn’t enough.

On Clarendon, love the signing. Clarendon is a winner and understands how to run an offense. Unlike Boyd she’s a low turnover player. IMO Boyd is definitely on the way out. The organization is looking clearly to do two things, promote leadership and to heighten efficiency. Boyd doesn’t do either. Clarendon was identified in the press conference as a leader by example and a vocal leader. Ionescu will provide more of the same. I’d wonder if interest in moving Tina is being partially motivated by trying to tilt the culture toward young players.

If you can somehow get the assets needed to get Hebard the above makes total sense. Alarie wouldn’t be bad either. I don’t think Alarie is as immediately as WNBA ready as Hebard (she’s thin as a rail and is listed at 165 pounds) but she’s a high-end competitor and comes with an usually diversified skillset. If you’re looking to add quality youth and culture change in some sort of need area then the above two make sense. Alarie doesn’t have 4 spot size but she has some skills that fit at that spot along with the wingspan. If you tell me I can get either of these two players in a move for Tina, I’m on board with it. Otherwise, I’ll pass.

PostPosted: 02/16/20 10:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I still think the only way Tina goes to Phoenix is that a third team gets involved. Phoenix needs to deal January to make cap space. Minnesota seems like the best choice. Just a matter of what other pieces get dealt. This should get New York another first round pick and maybe Hebert.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades

PostPosted: 02/16/20 11:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:

Canberra 84 (Nurse 25p, Epoupa 19p 10r 6a, Froling 11p 6r, Rocci 10p 5r 4a 3s, Tolo 10p, Griffin 7p 12r 5a 7s)

I wonder, if the Liberty are done with Boyd as the fans wish, if they would consider Epoupa as a backup PG. She has a double Liberty connection. She has played with Johannes extensively, and now she’s familiar with Nurse.

Luckily for Boyd, she signed for very cheap ($81K?), so at that price she should be attractive to some team, especially one with a cap crunch. The Liberty could probably trade Boyd for a player with a more expensive contract.

For instance, Boyd for January. That would reduce PHX’s team salary by about $38K. Every little bit helps after overpaying for Hartley.

Plaisance for Boyd? I’m pretty sure Miller would like to unload Plaisance’s guaranteed salary. Would give Liberty another stretch post player.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shades

PostPosted: 02/16/20 12:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
I still think the only way Tina goes to Phoenix is that a third team gets involved. Phoenix needs to deal January to make cap space. Minnesota seems like the best choice. Just a matter of what other pieces get dealt. This should get New York another first round pick and maybe Hebert.

You see, everybody thinks Reeve is everybody’s sucker after the Christmas acquisition and trades of DRob and Howard. She showed signs of improvement last season. I hope she doesn’t regress this season.

Let’s think this through. Why would Reeve want to help make PHX into another superteam? Reeve should like the way PHX is now. She should also like the way the Liberty look now. So let’s keep it that way.

There’s a flood of guards on the market. The Lynx don’t “need” January, and she probably doesn’t want to come here anyway. Any guard that was talking retirement a few years ago isn’t for me. Remember the last guard that talked retirement when she was with the Storm, but Reeve had to have her? Tanisha Wright.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 02/16/20 12:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am not completely sure Boyd is out.

On one hand she doesn't fit the analytics mold

On the other she worked with Hopkins in the past at Call

NY needs a 5th guard it is either Boyd or pick 13

Personal relationships aren't everything nothing is guaranteed but both Boyd and Gray have some advantage competing for those last few roster spots.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 02/16/20 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
I am not completely sure Boyd is out.

On one hand she doesn't fit the analytics mold

On the other she worked with Hopkins in the past at Call

NY needs a 5th guard it is either Boyd or pick 13

Personal relationships aren't everything nothing is guaranteed but both Boyd and Gray have some advantage competing for those last few roster spots.

Fair point. And Hopkins is big on personal relationships being important. And they do need a fifth guard.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 109, 110, 111  Next
Page 38 of 111

Jump to: