RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 109, 110, 111  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randy

PostPosted: 12/13/19 8:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
The negative comments I remember about VJ as a head coach were that her substitution pattern was crazy.

I recall that too. I remember in an interview she said if a players misses a defensive assignment she takes them out of the game. On the other hand, it seemed Plum improved on her defense a lot under VJ. Of course, she may not even be one of the names on the short list if Richyyy is right.

root_thing

PostPosted: 12/13/19 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
For what it's worth, the shortlist I recently heard they're down to would suggest only one of the three names was right anyway... Very Happy

Oh, stop being coy and tell us what you've heard. Razz

PostPosted: 12/13/19 12:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:

This press release the Sun put out back in January announcing their 2019 coaching staff does mention where Smith was headed at the time.

Quote:
“I am happy to announce the promotion of Chris Koclanes to a full-time assistant coach position,” Miller said. "He will replace Steve Smith, who accepted a high school athletic director position back in Los Angeles..."

What appears to be Smith's twitter account seems to show he's still at that same job - if not a similar one elsewhere - judging by the most recent tweets. Someone should tell him to update his bio though...

I believe Smith worked for the Sparks twice, so maybe he lives in LA and just wanted to go home. Thanks.

PostPosted: 12/13/19 12:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://highposthoops.com/2019/12/13/libertys-final-three-candidates-include-walt-hopkins-eric-thibault-and-steve-smith/

Quote:
Multiple league sources tell High Post Hoops can report that in addition to current Minnesota Lynx assistant coach Walt Hopkins, the New York Liberty are considering Washington Mystics Associate Head Coach Eric Thibault and former Connecticut Sun assistant coach Steve Smith for the Liberty head coaching position.

toad455

PostPosted: 12/13/19 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
https://highposthoops.com/2019/12/13/libertys-final-three-candidates-include-walt-hopkins-eric-thibault-and-steve-smith/

Quote:
Multiple league sources tell High Post Hoops can report that in addition to current Minnesota Lynx assistant coach Walt Hopkins, the New York Liberty are considering Washington Mystics Associate Head Coach Eric Thibault and former Connecticut Sun assistant coach Steve Smith for the Liberty head coaching position.

So no Vickie Johnson? I guess the rumor that Eric would be taking over for his Dad in DC soon might not happen now.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 12/13/19 10:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Let's not forget something positive about these reports. If it's accurate that the Liberty front office has narrowed the coaching search to three finalists, I'd guess there's a good chance we'll have a decision soon. And certainly by early January if not before. As has been rightly noted, it'll be valuable to have a coach chosen by then.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 12/14/19 1:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Eric Thibault coaches offense as effectively as dad I’d be happy to have him. Especially since I think that would fit Ionescu and Durr.

PostPosted: 12/16/19 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Liberty 3-game offer. $125 includes a NY Liberty hoodie.

https://offer.fevo.com/-jqiq3vz-6b5d572?fevoUri=-jqiq3vz-6b5d572%2F%3FinviteRef%3D1cdc9c1d-e6c4-4fe4-9c52-cd5d43c04259

Shades

PostPosted: 12/16/19 1:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What happens if there are no games? Do you get a full refund and you get to keep the hoodie?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
toad455

PostPosted: 12/16/19 1:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
What happens if there are no games? Do you get a full refund and you get to keep the hoodie?

I'd assume so.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 12/21/19 4:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With degrees from both Harvard and Berkley makes one wonder why Hopkins is screwing around with the WNBA. Anyone know his majors?

And Smith, a lifer assistant, haven't we seen this scenario before?

ChiSky54

PostPosted: 12/21/19 5:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
With degrees from both Harvard and Berkley makes one wonder why Hopkins is screwing around with the WNBA. Anyone know his majors?

From his LinkedIn:

Harvard University Graduate School of Education
Master of Education (Ed.M.) - Special Studies: Focus on Moral Development, Social Psychology & Motivation Theory
2012 – 2013

University of California, Berkeley
Master's Degree - Cultural Studies of Sport in Education
2014 – 2016

University of Nevada-Reno
Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) - English Writing
2007 – 2010

Activities and Societies: Golden Key, Phi Kappa Phi, National Society of Leadership.

Graduated with High Distinction with a 3.95 GPA while simultaneously holding multiple full-time coaching positions and working 30-40 hours per week. Earned a major in English Writing and a minor in Philosophy.

Oxford University
English Writing
2009 – 2009

Things that make you go "Hmmmmm!"

PostPosted: 12/21/19 5:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:

And Smith, a lifer assistant, haven't we seen this scenario before?

It's a matter of what you want out of life. Maybe he thinks coaching is more fun than making a lot of money as a hedge fund manager or something like that. Also from Walt Hopkins' Linkedin page:

Quote:
Coach Hopkins holds master's degrees from both Harvard University and UC Berkeley, where his studies focused on applying findings from Social, Developmental, and Educational Psychology to coaching settings, and he has worked in the WNBA as the player development coach for the Tulsa Shock (2013), and as an assistant women's basketball coach at Utah Valley University (2013-2014). Over the past few years, he has been invited to host player development seminars to augment the coaching strategies of several major collegiate basketball coaches, and he currently travels around the country training WNBA, collegiate, high school, and youth basketball players by way of individual and small group lessons and recurring youth clinics all over the West Coast, in addition to conducting camps that feature a unique, player-centered, "classroom" component to maximize player engagement and learning.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/walterhopkinsjr

Smith took an assistant coach job with Indiana this week, so it's down to Hopkins and Eric Thibault if the last reports are correct. Who do people like - the book worm or the coaching family scion? Wink

If Eric Thibault is offered the position, I wonder if he might turn it down and wait for the Mystics job -- assuming Mike is close to retirement.

PostPosted: 12/21/19 6:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
RavenDog wrote:
With degrees from both Harvard and Berkley makes one wonder why Hopkins is screwing around with the WNBA.

It's a matter of what you want out of life. Maybe he thinks coaching is more fun than making a lot of money as a hedge fund manager or something like that.

Thank you, root_thing.

Shades

PostPosted: 12/21/19 6:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:

Smith took an assistant coach job with Indiana this week, so it's down to Hopkins and Eric Thibault if the last reports are correct. Who do people like - the book worm or the coaching family scion? Wink

One is self made and one is a product of narcissism. Tough choice.

root_thing wrote:
If Eric Thibault is offered the position, I wonder if he might turn it down and wait for the Mystics job -- assuming Mike is close to retirement.

I assume he put in for the job if the unsubstantiated rumors are correct. Why turn it down after putting in for it?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
toad455

PostPosted: 12/21/19 6:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm leaning towards Hopkins. The Thibault connection in DC that we all assume he takes over once his Dad retires is clearly present. But maybe that's not guaranteed and maybe Mike will still coach for several more years. Do have to wonder what happened with Vickie Johnson though. She seemed like a legit choice only to interview and get turned down rather quickly.

root_thing

PostPosted: 12/21/19 8:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
root_thing wrote:

One is self made and one is a product of narcissism. Tough choice.

I think you mean nepotism. Well, essentially Eric went into the family business. It's not uncommon. The fact that he got a leg up doesn't mean he's necessarily unqualified. Being a coach's kid often means you've been indoctrinated with basic concepts of basketball since you were a child. In other words, he's been training to be a coach since a young age. Also, if he has absorbed all the lessons of his father and has a similar philosophy, then he's in many ways more qualified to teach and apply those principles than someone else. In Eric's case, he has been credited with developing the Mystics guards -- specifically Natasha Cloud. Supposedly, he also spent a lot of time studying film with EDD last winter to help her improve on defense.

Shades wrote:
root_thing wrote:

I assume he put in for the job if the unsubstantiated rumors are correct. Why turn it down after putting in for it?

People interview for jobs all the time even if they're unsure they want the position. Talking to the employer may convince you to take the job. It's also nice to have options. And maybe they'll make you an offer you can't refuse. On the other hand, talking to them may confirm your doubts. It's not like everyone who is offered a job takes it.

PostPosted: 12/21/19 9:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some people who get a leg up for a job or career because of nepotism prove to be unqualified. Others turn out to be far better than the family member because of whom they got in the door.

There are endless reasons why someone might apply for a job, be offered that job, and turn it down. Or why someone might apply for a job, have an interview, and then withdraw from consideration. One of the most obvious: you realize that working for person X is going to be a disaster.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 12/26/19 10:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hopkins has an interesting resume from the standpoint that it heavily emphasizes individual player development and relationships, but also includes offensive and defensive strategies and play diagramming. While not containing any head coaching experience, he has had quite a diverse range of roles in these positions.

On the surface, without knowing anything about him or his ability, it appears to be a range of roles greater than most people would have without having actual head coaching experience.

Furthermore, the Liberty are going to have a lot of young individual talent in 2020. His roles and skills would seem to be a very good match with a young team.

In terms of Thibault, dad's offensive coaching ability would also be a match with the types of players the Liberty will have (perimeter emphasis, excelling in pick and roll, coaching to individual skills, etc.).

Either way, it would seem to me that the Liberty organization understands the type of coach they will need to harness the talents of their young players. I'm impressed that they appear to be a) making a thoughtful decision and b) are doing so in a way that appears to match the type of team they will have in 2020.

These are good signs. I really like the direction they appear to be heading, though I'm obviously only able to go with the admittedly limited info I've got.

PostPosted: 12/28/19 11:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChiSky54 wrote:
RavenDog wrote:

From his LinkedIn:

Harvard University Graduate School of Education
Master of Education (Ed.M.) - Special Studies: Focus on Moral Development, Social Psychology & Motivation Theory
2012 – 2013

University of California, Berkeley
Master's Degree - Cultural Studies of Sport in Education
2014 – 2016

University of Nevada-Reno
Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) - English Writing
2007 – 2010

Activities and Societies: Golden Key, Phi Kappa Phi, National Society of Leadership.

Graduated with High Distinction with a 3.95 GPA while simultaneously holding multiple full-time coaching positions and working 30-40 hours per week. Earned a major in English Writing and a minor in Philosophy.

Oxford University
English Writing
2009 – 2009

Things that make you go "Hmmmmm!"

Sure looks like the path I'd take to become a basketball coach...

root_thing

PostPosted: 12/28/19 1:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Being well-educated is unusual for coaching, but it's becoming more commonplace for sports executives. Here's an article from 2017 that discusses how Ivy League graduates now dominate MLB:

Quote:
Nearly half of the 30 MLB clubs (14, to be exact) have an Ivy League graduate as either general manager or president of baseball operations. That doesn’t include Shapiro, now the President and CEO of the Toronto Blue Jays, or Peter Woodfork, the MLB’s Senior Vice President for Baseball Operations. Nor does that account for the litany of Ivy League alumni working in lower-ranking front office roles.

https://ivyleague.com/news/2017/10/24/baseball-how-the-ivy-league-took-over-mlb-front-offices.aspx

Some of this is related to the growth of analytics in sports. Baseball was the first sport to really make use of advanced statistics. Now, you're seeing it in other sports, so maybe they will hire more brainy (on paper) executives. The Liberty hired Jonathan Kolb, former head of WNBA statistics, to be their GM so it's not surprising they'd be interested in Hopkins. Some NBA examples of nontraditional executives:

Daryl Morey, GM Rockets, Northwestern and MIT (MBA)
Steve Mills, President Knicks, Princeton
Sam Hinkie, former GM 76ers, Stanford MBA
Sam Presti, GM Thunder, Emerson College's first Rhodes Scholar nominee

I'm sure people can come up with other names, and there are probably examples in the NFL and NHL. As far as coaches go, there are likely other people who have taken the unusual detour from academic achievement to sports. However, the only one that comes to mind for me is Marv Levy, longtime coach of the Buffalo Bills and later the Kansas City Chiefs. He has a master's degree in English history from Harvard and is a member of Phi Beta Kappa.

PostPosted: 12/28/19 2:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I suspect that over time--as there are more and more sports executives with strong educational backgrounds--there will be increasing interest in hiring baseball managers, basketball coaches, etc., with strong educational backgrounds. Already in baseball it's become obvious that "old school" managers who disdain or won't prioritize analytics are on the way out.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 12/29/19 1:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Being well-educated is unusual for coaching, but it's becoming more commonplace for sports executives. Here's an article from 2017 that discusses how Ivy League graduates now dominate MLB:

Quote:
Nearly half of the 30 MLB clubs (14, to be exact) have an Ivy League graduate as either general manager or president of baseball operations. That doesn’t include Shapiro, now the President and CEO of the Toronto Blue Jays, or Peter Woodfork, the MLB’s Senior Vice President for Baseball Operations. Nor does that account for the litany of Ivy League alumni working in lower-ranking front office roles.

https://ivyleague.com/news/2017/10/24/baseball-how-the-ivy-league-took-over-mlb-front-offices.aspx

Some of this is related to the growth of analytics in sports. Baseball was the first sport to really make use of advanced statistics. Now, you're seeing it in other sports, so maybe they will hire more brainy (on paper) executives. The Liberty hired Jonathan Kolb, former head of WNBA statistics, to be their GM so it's not surprising they'd be interested in Hopkins. Some NBA examples of nontraditional executives:

Daryl Morey, GM Rockets, Northwestern and MIT (MBA)
Steve Mills, President Knicks, Princeton
Sam Hinkie, former GM 76ers, Stanford MBA
Sam Presti, GM Thunder, Emerson College's first Rhodes Scholar nominee

I'm sure people can come up with other names, and there are probably examples in the NFL and NHL. As far as coaches go, there are likely other people who have taken the unusual detour from academic achievement to sports. However, the only one that comes to mind for me is Marv Levy, longtime coach of the Buffalo Bills and later the Kansas City Chiefs. He has a master's degree in English history from Harvard and is a member of Phi Beta Kappa.

PM'ed you, FYI regarding season tickets. Regarding the analytics angle, I'm really pleased to see the Liberty being potentially (if it works out positively) a trendsetter in this area. The WNBA has to my knowledge devoted itself much more to data driven analysis in recent years. While old-school coaching has its place and people can excel with older school methods, I think it's safe to say that Katie Smith wasn't overwhelmingly data driven. Two reasons that come to mind is that she came from an older school background (Laimbeer, Agler) and her method of coaching didn't exactly bring the efficiency model to mind when it came to her best player's approach offensively.

I also think an analytics approach more likely maximizes Ionescu's performance, as she is a vision guard who seems like she beats herself up thinking about her performance. Giving her deeper ways to analyze her game and how it impacts her teammates is in my mind a good way to channel that drive in a more positive way.

PostPosted: 12/30/19 1:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am hoping that in the first full work week ahead--Jan. 6-10--a new Liberty coach is named. There's no way to be sure that what we've been reading about this process and possible candidates is correct. But it seems that Jonathan Kolb has been taking his time and carefully considering various candidates. And that Kolb wants someone with a good feel for and commitment to analytics. If true, I view all this as very positive.

I see the 2020 season as the beginning of a new era for the Liberty. New home in Brooklyn. GM in his second year and his first real chance to reshape the franchise. New head coach, quite possibly someone who's never been a head coach in the WNBA (or perhaps anywhere) before. Ionescu as a rookie starting at point guard. Durr in her second WNBA season after ups and downs as a rookie. Nurse in her third WNBA season after being an All-Star in the first half of 2019 but not playing as well in the second half. Johannes (if she's back) in her second WNBA season after only a partial rookie year in 2019. Great potential in all this, but a lot of challenges and adjustments at once.

I'm excited about the 2020 season and even more about what could be ahead in 2021 and beyond.

PostPosted: 12/30/19 12:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If it actually does come down to Hopkins or Eric Thibault, I hope they bring in a veteran assistant with head coaching experience to provide support. Both guys look like they primarily have player development experience. It's very different actually having to implement systems, put together game plans, and make on-the-go adjustments. Katie Smith looked like she had a vision for the team -- sort of a Doug Bruno/Charli Turner-Thorne waves of players approach -- but she didn't know how to implement it. Your coaching staff has to be on top of everything, both macro and micro, systems and player development. It doesn't all have to be on one person as long as the staff as a whole covers all bases. I think Gail Goestenkors would be perfect, assuming she doesn't have another job already. Carol Ross would also fit the bill. Or looking around at someone who just retired and might want to stay in the game in a lower stress capacity, how about Sue Guevara who recently retired from Central Michigan? Just spitballing here. I don't feel comfortable without someone who has had success as a head coach sitting on our bench, even if it's only an assistant. Katie Smith simply looked overmatched and overwhelmed at times. There was too much to think about, and while she had a Plan A, there was never a Plan B or C. I'm just worried that Thibault and Hopkins will find themselves in the same situation. So while I like the concept of young guys with new ideas, I also want some practical experience on the bench.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 109, 110, 111  Next
Page 22 of 111

Jump to: