RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 95, 96, 97 ... 109, 110, 111  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClayK

PostPosted: 07/12/20 1:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think any of us veteran fans could be disguised as the coach and deliver a series of quotes indistinguishable from what the actual coach would say.

PostPosted: 07/12/20 3:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
I think any of us veteran fans could be disguised as the coach and deliver a series of quotes indistinguishable from what the actual coach would say.

LOL.

PostPosted: 07/12/20 6:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bluedevilaztecfan5 wrote:
Some day 1 practice videos:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CCgnbEVnqKz/?igshid=165rnfijg66cy

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCgsh_an-g7/?igshid=1qmspzu5vo7m2

And quick interview bits from Kylee, Jazmine, Kiah, Coach Walt:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CCguwSTnDVf/?igshid=1qzi17xrj1na

I’m getting excited!! Hoping the bubble life is safe and the season can get started.
Go Liberty Very Happy

Anyone know what Coach Walt was talking about in the third link? "Never practiced like this before..." -- referring to players?

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 07/13/20 12:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Nurse needs to get into the weight room. She had to use two hands to hold an imaginary microphone.

Yield not to temptation. I had wanted to make a joke about the two hands but I'm not going to do it.

PostPosted: 07/13/20 7:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
She Found Her Voice in a W.N.B.A. Locker Room, Then Used It in Sweden

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/13/sports/basketball/amanda-zahui-b-new-york-liberty.html

stever

PostPosted: 07/13/20 3:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allow="autoplay; fullscreen" src="https://w3.cdn.anvato.net/player/prod/v3/anvload.html?key=eyJtIjoiY2JzIiwidiI6IjQ2MjQ5MDAiLCJhbnZhY2siOiI1VkQ2RXlkNmRqZXdiQ21Od0JGbnNKajE3WUF2R1J3bCIsInNoYXJlTGluayI6Imh0dHBzOi8vY2JzbG9jLmFsLzM4UDFLRnMiLCJwbHVnaW5zIjp7ImNvbXNjb3JlIjp7ImNsaWVudElkIjoiMzAwMDAyMyIsImMzIjoibmV3eW9yay5jYnNsb2NhbC5jb20ifSwiZGZwIjp7ImNsaWVudFNpZGUiOnsiYWRUYWdVcmwiOiJodHRwOi8vcHViYWRzLmcuZG91YmxlY2xpY2submV0L2dhbXBhZC9hZHM%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" width ="640" height="360"></iframe>

root_thing

PostPosted: 07/13/20 3:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here's the longer version. Anyone who doesn't like clichés and platitudes should avoid this video. You know who you are. Razz

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VfILWuJ-ZCE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PostPosted: 07/13/20 3:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Willoughby is actually in the video I might watch it. Otherwise, thanks for the warning.... Smile

root_thing

PostPosted: 07/13/20 3:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Liberty aren’t complaining about reportedly gross WNBA bubble

Quote:
“I haven’t experienced any of that,’’ Shook said. “So far, my apartment is nice. It’s a little bigger than college so that’s nice. The practice schedule, normally you drive somewhere or fly somewhere, but it’s all in one area. That’s why it feels like college. You just walk to the gym and walk back to your room.’’

https://nypost.com/2020/07/12/liberty-arent-complaining-about-reportedly-gross-wnba-bubble/

PostPosted: 07/13/20 6:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
New-look Liberty exceed its own expectations thanks to a quickly developing team chemistry

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/ny-liberty-leonna-odom-kylee-shook-20200713-7vyl6jge7nc3nms5kovjmaybj4-story.html

myrtle

PostPosted: 07/13/20 8:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
Quote:
New-look Liberty exceed its own expectations thanks to a quickly developing team chemistry

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/ny-liberty-leonna-odom-kylee-shook-20200713-7vyl6jge7nc3nms5kovjmaybj4-story.html

since they're mostly practicing against other rookies, it's probably giving them a 'false' sense of greatness. We'll see what happens when they meet up with the vet teams...or are there any of those still out there?

- Amanda Gorman
Randy

PostPosted: 07/13/20 8:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
stever wrote:
Quote:

since they're mostly practicing against other rookies, it's probably giving them a 'false' sense of greatness. We'll see what happens when they meet up with the vet teams...or are there any of those still out there?

Great point!!

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 07/13/20 10:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And their first game is against the Storm. Wink

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 07/14/20 10:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I figure there’s probably some truth to the optimism in terms of the adjustment period. I’m just not sure that’s worth a ton if you can’t score, rebound or defend. When looking at the actual talent, I thought rebounding and D were going to be a problem even before losing so many players.

That said losing Durr and being without Walker have really lowered my expectations. I don’t see much in the way of scoring, rebounding or defense. The youth and speed might add energy though. But other than that, we only have two perimeter scorers (Sabrina, Nurse) that you can be fairly certain you’ll get consistent production from. If Walker is back sooner rather than later, she’ll def be able to score. But if not, it’s looking like another high lottery pick with a mega talented young team in 2021. If 2021 even returns to normal.

Hopefully we will be pleasantly surprised. Maybe Jones, Odom, Shook and Holmes all give a variety of positive contributions that lead to winning. But I’ll believe it when I see it.

PostPosted: 07/14/20 10:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, I think the good feelings right now are more about people's mental preparation. Normally, players get drafted and then they have to finish school. Soon afterward, they’re off to training camp which is only two weeks. If you’re a veteran, you may be coming to camp straight from playing overseas. In that case, training camp may be less than two weeks. The one major benefit of this pandemic is that it provided people with two or three months of prep time. Players had an extended period to learn the playbook, study film, and discuss concepts with their coaches. Consequently, compared to a normal season, people are really advanced in terms of their knowledge of the systems. It’s stuff like knowing where to position yourself on the floor, how to set a pick, which passes to make, when to help on defense, etc. Decision-making and comfort with the schemes is probably way ahead of what you would expect from a team full of new players -- most of them rookies.

PostPosted: 07/14/20 10:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They don’t have any external (media, fans) pressure to win this season, and not much internal (staff have said plenty of times that they are looking for growth as success versus wins).
That might lead to the rookies playing a little more freely, instead of feeling a lot of pressure- they will still have an adjustment to the pro game, but this bubble season is very different as far as the pressures of playing in a sold out arena.

I’m still expecting lottery team, but I’m hoping they are competitive at least and that the bottom of the league records aren’t too different.

Also, I can’t post it or totally tell because the 6 rookies weren’t in a straight line, and the angle of the camera is off. But they took a group pic, and Kylee (6’4) is clearly the tallest and it looks like Joyner (6’3) is next, and Leaonna (6’2), Jocelyn (6’0), Sabrina (5’11), then Jazmine (6’0) looks a couple inches shorter than Sabrina. Jocelyn is standing next to Kylee and looks like the top of her forehead reaches Kylee’s mouth lol, so maybe a 4 inch difference at least.

I am not necessarily apart of the height police lol, but I bring it up because of the hope Walt and Kolb have to play some players guarding the 4 spot.
I guess I’ll just have to roll with the defensive strategies they have in mind, and revolt if it’s not working Laughing

root_thing

PostPosted: 07/14/20 11:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As Commissioner of the Height Police, I have to keep tabs on these things. I'm very glad Holmes actually looks big in this picture because some posters on this board have questioned her height and I was beginning to agree with them. However, this photo makes it look plausible that Joyner is 6-3 -- at least on a relative basis. It could also be that all of her teammates are shorter than advertised. Laughing Actually, that's not true. Shook has always looked like a tall 6-4 compared to opposing post players.

PostPosted: 07/14/20 12:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
As Commissioner of the Height Police, I have to keep tabs on these things. I'm very glad Holmes actually looks big in this picture because some posters on this board have questioned her height and I was beginning to agree with them. However, this photo makes it look plausible that Joyner is 6-3 -- at least on a relative basis. It could also be that all of her teammates are shorter than advertised. Laughing Actually, that's not true. Shook has always looked like a tall 6-4 compared to opposing post players.

It's great that we have a Commissioner of Height Police. Is this for the WNBA as a whole or just for the New York Liberty? We badly need this for the entire league. So many credibility issues to resolve. I hope you will be issuing a league-wide report next week so we'll all have that before regular-season games begin. Smile

PostPosted: 07/14/20 2:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jones was listed as 5-10 in HS. I think that's more accurate.

myrtle

PostPosted: 07/14/20 3:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ok,
this is like totally over thinking this picture.
but the thing I noticed is that everybody has their arm around somebody...except Sabrina.
I know Sabrina can be demanding of both herself and her teammates, but pretty sure she had a good rapport with most, if not all, of her college teammates. Still, this may be something that takes a while to develop.

as far as heights go, you can generally deduct 1 - 2 " from their college listings. But agree, Shook appears to be a legit 6-4" - but I'm concerned she's pretty 'soft' for playing in the post. Guess we will see, eh?

- Amanda Gorman
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 07/14/20 3:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="myrtle"]ok,
this is like totally over thinking this picture.
but the thing I noticed is that everybody has their arm around somebody...except Sabrina.
I know Sabrina can be demanding of both herself and her teammates, but pretty sure she had a good rapport with most, if not all, of her college teammates. Still, this may be something that takes a while to develop.
{/quote]

I agree. "Totally overthinking this picture."

PostPosted: 07/14/20 3:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

More importantly, she's letting her hair cover the Nike logo. Someone'll quickly teach her not to do silly and costly things like that. Wink

PostPosted: 07/14/20 4:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Walt has described Sabrina so far as hard working and serious.
However in social media, she is seen smiling and laughing off the court, doing Tik Tok dances with Jazmine and Joyner, and engaging in bike rides with teammates.

So I think she’ll be alright as far as connecting with teammates. I believe it was her idea to do a team brunch in the bubble to get to know one another more off the court.

root_thing

PostPosted: 07/14/20 4:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I guess I needed to post this picture too.

PostPosted: 07/14/20 7:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

now that looks like serious business! Laughing

hey, clearly a couple of those players are waaaay shorter than they're listed. Where's the height police? Wink

- Amanda Gorman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 95, 96, 97 ... 109, 110, 111  Next
Page 96 of 111

Jump to: