RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 93, 94, 95 ... 109, 110, 111  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
root_thing

PostPosted: 07/08/20 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Walker posted twice more on Instagram today. Again, it had nothing to do with the WNBA. Since people usually post about what’s happening in their lives right now, this is definitely concerning. Maybe, as Richyyy suggests, Walker tested positive but feels well enough to think this is just a small setback. The Yankees have two players who tested positive. One of them, Luis Cessa, had mild symptoms last week but now says he “feels really good.“ Cessa needs to produce two negative tests before they let him return. Hopefully, Walker is similarly waiting.

PostPosted: 07/08/20 6:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I do fear/speculate Walker was one of the positive tests.
If so, I hope she’s alright and makes the best decision for her health.
Her last glamour post was 6/9, but she’s posted on her story since then, and as root said twice today but not wnba related.

As for Durr’s spot, other than Gorecki I would also take a look at Kamiah Smalls.
Tynice Martin is another, but I think her ‘character’ concerns are bigger than Joyner’s. Wasn’t hers involving DV/IPV? I’m all about growth and transformation but I’m not sure Walt and Kolb would agree in this case.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 07/08/20 6:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Replacement player ideas

easiest, bring back Boyd give her a shot at blending her game with the new squad and concept. One advantage you can move Clarendon into the starting line up and have Ionescu on the floor with another distributor which seemed to work well fro her in Oregon (Cazorla, Min. Moore).

Young players (drafted in the last few seasons) that kind of fit the new look; A. Howard, J. Nared, E. McCall, K. Davis, A. Prince, T. Muldrow, R. Greenwell, S. Chong, Cuevas-Moore

Vets still floating around Ty. Young, Zellous, out of the league for a minute but kind of fit the system M. Lucas, C. Burdick, K. Griffin add some size Alleyne, Hamblin

obviously the options aren't great, but a little more money and another chance to prove themselves might appeal to some of these players

From my list I would love to see Boyd get a shot
I have always liked Nared and A. Howard
Just from the way things have played out I don't think the team is too interested in vets with strong personalities though with seven rookies it probably wouldn't hurt, with that said I could see a players like Burdlick or K. Griffin going from tweener to good fit with this team.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 07/08/20 8:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We can only guess what the situation is with Walker. Jonathan Kolb and Walker herself may be unsure if she can return. We know we're going to have at least six rookies on a 12-player roster and possibly seven rookies. I'd like to see a veteran player added, ideally someone who can be another mentor. If Kolb finds he's got two roster spots to fill, then perhaps one veteran and one more rookie.

PostPosted: 07/08/20 8:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

T. Young and Boyd seem like the best options to me. The Liberty have plenty of rookies - any rookie still available seems quite unlikely to have much of a future. A solid veteran could help the team and challenge the rookies to earn their minutes. I think T. Young would be a wise choice - she doesn't seem to let her ego get in the way, and definitely worked very hard to improve her game on both ends of the court throughout her career. Even if she wasn't really into being a mentor, she would be a good example for the young players.

toad455

PostPosted: 07/08/20 9:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I really don't want another rookie. I like Tiffany Bias or even Paris Kea. Let's see what the status is with Walker first.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
bluedevilaztecfan5

PostPosted: 07/08/20 10:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
T. Young and Boyd seem like the best options to me. The Liberty have plenty of rookies - any rookie still available seems quite unlikely to have much of a future. A solid veteran could help the team and challenge the rookies to earn their minutes. I think T. Young would be a wise choice - she doesn't seem to let her ego get in the way, and definitely worked very hard to improve her game on both ends of the court throughout her career. Even if she wasn't really into being a mentor, she would be a good example for the young players.

I like them both as options in general, but I don’t know if our staff will feel the same, as far as fits for our system. Though they did surprise with the Holmes pickup.
Boyd can distribute well and play aggressive defense, but gives up height defending the 2 or 3. And she can’t shoot from outside.
Young fits in defensively, and with her versatility. But offensively she isn’t a player who spreads the floor.

If we do indeed have two spots open, I wouldn’t mind picking up one ‘vet‘ and one young player/rookie.
Alexis Prince, Maggie Lucas, Haley Gorecki, Kamiah Smalls.

Ionescu/Clarendon
Nurse/Jones
(Walker?)/Willoughby
Zahui B/Odom/Holmes
Stokes/Shook

I can also see Jones starting instead of Stokes, and Willoughby slides to the 4. Or I suppose Odom, if she can hit those 3s in games. Her and Stokes may be the best 3pt shooters ever- in practice/warm ups Wink.

If we don’t have Walker, I would like both pickups to be more than capable 3pt shooters. The loss of Durr, and potentially Walker is tough for our spread the floor game plan.

root_thing

PostPosted: 07/08/20 11:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Hopkins wants to play the way he originally planned, New York needs to add a shooter (or two if Walker is out). As I mentioned after Allen opted-out, Alexis Prince had a really good year shooting the ball in Turkey. Other suggestions were Jazmon Gwathmey and Karlie Samuelson. J-Spoon suggested Anriel Howard, who would fit because she actually functioned as an undersized PF for most of her college career. Paris Kea could be useful as a combo guard. She also shot the ball really well overseas. NY doesn't have a third pg after Johannes opted out. Nurse has been used as a pg on all her teams, but she's just somebody to bring the ball upcourt. Kia is not much or a playmaker.

I didn't really watch mid-majors much this year so I can't comment on Smalls or Manis.

PostPosted: 07/09/20 1:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

my slightly boring prediction

Walker's spot will be held by Walker for now with the intention of joining the team later
Hopkins brings Boyd back to replace Durr
Clarendon and Stokes join a more traditional looking starting line up, we get more Walt-ball as the rookies platoon in

Clarendon/Boyd
Ionescu/Jones
Nurse/Willoughby
Zahui B/Odom/Holmes
Stokes/Shook

bluedevilaztecfan5

PostPosted: 07/09/20 11:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jazmine Jones on the practice court with coach Dustin?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCbT6jzHyU0/?igshid=ozovx3q86p9i

Kia Nurse on the practice court with coach Kelly:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCbUZ7MH6Rz/?igshid=1pcj6lg1njqhv

Randy

PostPosted: 07/09/20 11:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bluedevilaztecfan5 wrote:

It just occurred to me while watching the video that there may be no "practice players" - usually men who practice against WNBA players on most of the teams. Will that make a difference?

bluedevilaztecfan5

PostPosted: 07/09/20 12:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:

It just occurred to me while watching the video that there may be no "practice players" - usually men who practice against WNBA players on most of the teams. Will that make a difference?

Good point, I guess they will have to make do practicing against one another.

Sabrina Ionescu on the practice court with coach Dustin?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCbaPq4Hlm9/?igshid=b526knh1kb3y

toad455

PostPosted: 07/09/20 3:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's quite possible that Walker tested positive. There were seven positive results; two Fever players, Colson and Durr. Three haven't been identified, so one is likely to be Walker. There aren't many players unaccounted for in the bubble and Thibault has said neither Delle Donne or Charles has it.

root_thing

PostPosted: 07/09/20 4:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think we've all pretty much come to the conclusion that Walker tested positive. She posted again today on social media -- three days in a row -- and it's a picture of a donut from an Amish restaurant in Ohio. Seriously, how could she go into a strange situation like the Wubble and then proceed to post about everything except Bradenton? It must mean she's not there.

PostPosted: 07/09/20 5:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Assistant coach Kelly Raimon, super short interview:

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CCb4hGjDPis/?igshid=309p6e4pidzv

toad455

PostPosted: 07/09/20 6:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
I think we've all pretty much come to the conclusion that Walker tested positive. She posted again today on social media -- three sausages in a row -- and it's a picture of a donut from an Amish restaurant in Ohio. Seriously, how could she go into a strange situation like the Wubble and then proceed to post about everything except Bradenton? It must mean she's not there.

She's been confirmed to not be there, just a question as to why. And odds seem likely she tested positive. Which still questions two other league players that tested positive.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/09/20 6:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Testing started long enough ago, just about, that someone could've tested positive early in the process, gone through the protocol, and is now in the bubble with her team. Probably no reason we'll ever find out about anyone in that situation.

PostPosted: 07/09/20 6:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
root_thing wrote:
I think we've all pretty much come to the conclusion that Walker tested positive. She posted again today on social media -- three sausages in a row -- and it's a picture of a donut from an Amish restaurant in Ohio. Seriously, how could she go into a strange situation like the Wubble and then proceed to post about everything except Bradenton? It must mean she's not there.

She's been confirmed to not be there, just a question as to why. And odds seem likely she tested positive. Which still questions two other league players that tested positive.

How did my quote change from "days" to "sausages"? Laughing

PostPosted: 07/09/20 7:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coach Kelly referred to their 7 rookies, so I assume Walker is planning on joining them.
Or they signed another rookie already in place of Asia Twisted Evil

bluedevilaztecfan5

PostPosted: 07/10/20 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://mobile.twitter.com/Jazmine_Jones4/status/1281593862688047107

Quote:
New York Liberty Retweeted

Jazmine Jones
@Jazmine_Jones4
First Day of Training Camp Double exclamation mark lets go Double exclamation mark
@nyliberty
#BrooklynLoud Statue of Liberty

Yay first day of training camp! But still no word on Walker

bluedevilaztecfan5

PostPosted: 07/10/20 3:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCebbLUnEn5/?igshid=1vvwegkvaq6df

https://www.facebook.com/14850732917/posts/10157331330967918/?d=n&substory_index=0

Megan Walker did test positive for COVID. She is asymptomatic and will miss the start of training camp. Hoping to join the team later.

Wishing her well.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 07/10/20 4:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.facebook.com/14850732917/posts/10157331330967918/?d=n&substory_index=0

Megan Walker did test positive for COVID. She is asymptomatic and will miss the start of training camp. Hoping to join the team later.

Wishing her well.

Thanks so much for posting this. Given we've all had the reasonable guess that there was a problem with Walker, this news isn't as bad as I'd feared. Wishing Walker well and continuing to wish Asia Durr well.

PostPosted: 07/10/20 4:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So, that Liberty rep who told me no one tested positive was only off by two players. Razz

Wishing Asia and Megan a speedy recovery.

PostPosted: 07/10/20 5:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
So, that Liberty rep who told me no one tested positive was only off by two players. Razz

There were 12 players on the active roster. So the rep had 10 correct answers. That's a pretty good percentage in most situations. Smile

PostPosted: 07/10/20 5:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wishing her well.

So now I’m curious why the whole Indiana team didn’t join the bubble because two players tested positive, but two players testing positive for NYL didn’t hold back the rest of the team from joining the bubble.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 93, 94, 95 ... 109, 110, 111  Next
Page 94 of 111

Jump to: