RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 91, 92, 93 ... 109, 110, 111  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmvcity

PostPosted: 07/03/20 10:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

What side haven’t you seen? Seems like everything’s out there.

Just wanted to see her answer the questions about toilet paper and the color of mirrors lol

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 07/03/20 2:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Nurse and Zahui said that Stokes will be living with them in the bubble. I guess they’re getting a villa. Supposedly Kiah, Durr, Allen, Patterson, and T-Spoon were all on Instagram yesterday as part of the audience for Kickin’ With Kia.

Clarendon is all over the internet, but is she in town? What about Walker and Holmes?

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
You guys see the vid of Odom hitting 3s on social media? IDK if it means anything in the big picture but she looked like she might actually be able to shoot better than she did in college.

See three posts above yours. Smile

Oh ok I missed that and yes I echo your sentiments. The intriguing thing to me about a team that has youth, energy and depth like this one does is that I anticipate a bench that gives us sudden bursts of energy and runs.

Remember how Boyd's explosiveness in the fourth quarters in 2015 wiped away deficits? There's a game in Phoenix that she just about singlehandedly won that year. That's how I envision this team being. Maybe not as good as the 2015 team, but it wouldn't surprise me if having that flexibility of multiple lineups with young, fast depth pays more dividends than might be expected. It's kind of unparalleled to add this many first round picks...hopefully 3 are significant contributors...and Odom looks like a possibility too.

PostPosted: 07/03/20 5:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Their athleticism and possible depth is why I think the Liberty could become a good offensive team fairly quickly. Defense is another matter. Aside from the size issue at PF, good defense at the pro level is mostly about good team defense. It will take awhile for these players to learn the system and gel with each other.

Odom and Holmes are players who provided a lot of “Wow!” moments in college, but they could also disappear or make you scream at the TV. Nonetheless, a lot of fans and media people still thought they should be 1st Round picks. Coming out of high school, HoopGurlz rated Holmes the #2 player in the country behind only Cox and ahead of both Dangerfield (#3) and Ionescu (#4). Odom was #9. Early in their college careers, both looked like future lottery picks but then their progress stalled. Fans of Odom and Holmes have always argued that the fault lies with their coaches. Right on cue, both head coaches were let go after the season (McCallie resigned yesterday). We’ll see what happens with the Liberty staff. Kolb keeps promoting them as great development coaches. Maybe that shooting display Odom put on yesterday was the Liberty coaches already working their magic. Wink

PostPosted: 07/03/20 9:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
bluedevilaztecfan5 wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
Dear bluedevil,

THANK YOU for the first very moving video about Ryland and for the encouraging and inspiring followup news video. And thank you for sharing all you have about your crucial work. I've just sent you a private message; please take a look when you have a chance.

Bob

Glad you were able to check it out Smile

Thank you for posting the follow-up video. I had seen the initial video, but it was great to see how Ryland and his family are doing a few years later.

My pleasure! It was nice to see the family and kiddo happy and doing well, and him coming out for pride month <3

Players like Layshia, Griner, EDD, DT, Bird help make it easier for younger generations to ‘come out’.
#representationmatters #visibility

bluedevilaztecfan5

PostPosted: 07/03/20 9:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Coming out of high school, HoopGurlz rated Holmes the #2 player in the country behind only Cox and ahead of both Dangerfield (#3) and Ionescu (#4). Odom was #9. Early in their college careers, both looked like future lottery picks but then their progress stalled. Fans of Odom and Holmes have always argued that the fault lies with their coaches. Right on cue, both head coaches were let go after the season (McCallie resigned yesterday). We’ll see what happens with the Liberty staff. Kolb keeps promoting them as great development coaches. Maybe that shooting display Odom put on yesterday was the Liberty coaches already working their magic. Wink

It would be amazing if Holmes and Odom could live up to their high school rankings!

I see our staff is super talented in their development skills! Odom has a very nice stroke from 3 Very Happy
Hopefully the next video we get is Holmes hitting nine 3s in a row Twisted Evil

root_thing

PostPosted: 07/03/20 11:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It would be amazing if Holmes and Odom could live up to their high school rankings!

I see our staff is super talented in their development skills! Odom has a very nice stroke from 3 Very Happy
Hopefully the next video we get is Holmes hitting nine 3s in a row Twisted Evil

You can usually tell if someone is a good pure shooter by looking at their 3-pt numbers and FT percentage. In her entire college career, Odom was 3-12 .250 from behind the arc. That's three 3’s in four years! She also shot an anemic 186-305 .610 from the free-throw line. Clearly, Leaonna was a bad shooter. So, when that same player sinks nine 3-pointers in a row, what else can it be other than magic? Wink

Holmes put up even uglier 3-Pt and FT numbers than Odom. Joyner was 17-86 .198 from behind the arc and 207-344 .602 from the charity stripe. Liberty coaches will have to dig deep into their book of witchcraft to mesmerize Holmes into hitting nine straight 3’s.

You’ve got Blue Devil in your name. I assume you’re a Duke fan. What insights can you tell us about Leaonna Odom?

PostPosted: 07/04/20 12:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
You’ve got Blue Devil in your name. I assume you’re a Duke fan. What insights can you tell us about Leaonna Odom?

Duke MBB was the first college ball I watched, I am a fan.
I was rooting for the ladies against Maryland (speaking of poor FT % Laughing )

But sadly I haven’t really followed college ball as closely in general since 2016, when I was at San Diego state.
Hoping to get back into following college ball this next season.
I loved watching Jene Morris live, she was amazing her senior year.

Odom looks smooth in highlights, and that’s all I got.

https://www.swishappeal.com/platform/amp/wnba/2020/7/3/21298457/wnba-2020-season-preview-new-york-liberty-sabrina-ionescu-asia-durr-kia-nurse-layshia-clarendon

Quote:
Potential promise of the Liberty
The development of Asia Durr
The No. 2 pick in the 2019 WNBA Draft, Asia Durr entered her inaugural professional season with fairly high expectations. It was anticipated that the electric scoring ability she showed as a collegian would translate to the WNBA. At Louisville, she often looked like a female Damian Lillard, crushing opponents by cooly and confidently drilling jumpers.

I hope Asia can score in the W like Lillard drops buckets.

Randy

PostPosted: 07/04/20 7:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:

You can usually tell if someone is a good pure shooter by looking at their 3-pt numbers and FT percentage. In her entire college career, Odom was 3-12 .250 from behind the arc. That's three 3’s in four years! She also shot an anemic 186-305 .610 from the free-throw line. Clearly, Leaonna was a bad shooter. So, when that same player sinks nine 3-pointers in a row, what else can it be other than magic? Wink

I recall a night when I saw Erika De Souza hit shot after shot from the top of the key in warm ups. Never saw that in a game. Then again, Paul Milsap shot very few 3's in his years in Utah. When he came to Atlanta, he suddenly discovered he could make them. Brunson also seemed to develop a 3 very late in her career. You can always hope, but the worst situation is when a player has an unrequited love for the 3 like Sancho Lyttle with the Dream (and countless others.)

root_thing

PostPosted: 07/04/20 9:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:

I recall a night when I saw Erika De Souza hit shot after shot from the top of the key in warm ups. Never saw that in a game. Then again, Paul Milsap shot very few 3's in his years in Utah. When he came to Atlanta, he suddenly discovered he could make them. Brunson also seemed to develop a 3 very late in her career. You can always hope, but the worst situation is when a player has an unrequited love for the 3 like Sancho Lyttle with the Dream (and countless others.)

That’s like Laimbeer claiming that Stokes as a rookie was the greatest 3-point shooter he had ever seen in practice. Five years later we’re still waiting to see it in games. The reason to be optimistic about Odom is her form. She’s getting good lift on her jump and then she extends her arms up for a high release. It looks like a real jump-shot. Stokes is practically flat-footed when she shoots from outside. It’s not uncommon for post players to do that – Kalani Brown barely gets off the ground when she shoots jumpers. You also see a lot of women with low releases, probably left over from when they were young and not as strong so they needed the extra push toward the basket. Odom has a real jump-shot that relies primarily on wrist and finger action. Obviously, good form doesn’t guarantee accuracy or consistency. But it’s preseason, we haven’t seen these players in action, so we’re reading the tea leaves in an optimistic way.

PostPosted: 07/04/20 10:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wilt Chamberlain was noted as a terrible free-throw shooter -- but he was tremendous in practice.

It's a lot different when you're shooting in practice, especially from the same spot, over and over again, than it is to take a three-pointer in a game situation and it's your first one late in the third quarter.

As a coach, most of the time I have players shoot free throws two or three at a time rather than 10 in a row because the rhythm you have on shot five is a rhythm you'll never feel in a game.

PostPosted: 07/04/20 12:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shooting a basketball is highly dependent on human radar, which is hard to control for most people. It’s all about touch and feel. Many things can throw it off. Obviously, first is the presence of a defender. Second is the quality of the defender. However, a lot of obstacles are internal to the shooter. He or she can get too pumped up for a big game, which causes them to be too strong. Conversely, nerves can cause someone to feel weaker when all eyes are on you in a big spot. Players sitting on the bench too long are likely to lose their rhythm. That’s why so many rookie perimeter players who were starters all through college struggle to play off the bench. Bad form can sabotage you by building a natural bias into your shot. Finally, some people are simply unable to develop shooting touch -- especially big, strong players. It just isn’t in them.

Odom has demonstrated that the touch and feel are there. The question for Liberty coaches is can you help her overcome whatever physical or psychological impediments that have held her back. As Randy points out, Rebecca Brunson developed a decent jump-shot late in her career. Odom is only 22 so it’s certainly not too late. For me, the fact that she is not holding back is a positive sign. Too often I’ve seen players baby their shot by barely jumping or shortening their stroke. It’s like a baseball pitcher aiming the ball instead of throwing with a natural motion. I see Odom’s willingness to actually jump and use a high release as indications of her full commitment.

PostPosted: 07/06/20 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If I understand a Facebook post from the Liberty correctly, everyone is heading to the bubble today. I hope, more than anything, that all the players, coaches, and staff are healthy and stay healthy. Far more important than wins, losses, and other stats right now.

PostPosted: 07/06/20 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Other than Indiana because of two players testing positive, the whole league is headed to Bradenton today. Coincidentally, I got a call from a Liberty rep this morning (standard handholding). He could not tell me if all the Liberty players came to New York and were traveling together. For what it's worth, he was aware of the Indiana situation but did not think any Liberty players had tested positive.

Aside from the players, Megdal posted that a good source told him no WNBA coach or staff member tested positive.

PostPosted: 07/06/20 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I believe the Liberty recently arrived to their bubble homes...Zahui B posted a bus pic “until next time Brooklyn” 8 hours ago, and 30 minutes ago Stokes posted a pic of her, Nurse and Zahui B wearing masks in what appears to be their new villa “hey roomies”.
I would post a link but it won’t work unless you have Instagram, since it’s their stories (temporary pic) not a post they made to their profiles.

root_thing

PostPosted: 07/06/20 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I believe the Liberty recently arrived to their bubble homes...Zahui B posted a bus pic “until next time Brooklyn” 8 hours ago, and 30 minutes ago Stokes posted a pic of her, Nurse and Zahui B wearing masks in what appears to be their new villa “hey roomies”.
I would post a link but it won’t work unless you have Instagram, since it’s their stories (temporary pic) not a post they made to their profiles.

Here you go:

PostPosted: 07/06/20 6:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Other than Indiana because of two players testing positive, the whole league is headed to Bradenton today. Coincidentally, I got a call from a Liberty rep this morning (standard handholding). He could not tell me if all the Liberty players came to New York and were traveling together. For what it's worth, he was aware of the Indiana situation but did not think any Liberty players had tested positive.

Aside from the players, Megdal posted that a good source told him no WNBA coach or staff member tested positive.

Huh? What is the "Indiana situation"?

nvm I saw the article. But who/where are the other five who also tested positive?

- Amanda Gorman
root_thing

PostPosted: 07/06/20 6:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
root_thing wrote:

Huh? What is the "Indiana situation"?

nvm I saw the article. But who/where are the other five who also tested positive?

Indiana was the only team that did not fly down to Bradenton today. They were identified as having two positives. No other information was given at the time. However, it implies none of the other teams had more than one. The Liberty rep, who did not seem that knowledgeable about other things I asked him, did act more confident when he said he didn't think any New York players tested positive. I'd like to believe him, but I'm not taking it to the bank.

PostPosted: 07/06/20 9:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Here you go:

Thanks!!

Sabrina also posted a story showing she’s at IMG Academy with a pool view. Razz

Hopefully we keep getting more media coverage and the players can all stay safe and healthy 🙏🏽

root_thing

PostPosted: 07/06/20 11:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hopefully we keep getting more media coverage and the players can all stay safe and healthy 🙏🏽

Clarendon posted a story about leaving home for Florida, and Holmes posted a message saying, "You ever stopped and thought wow, I prayed for this. It's here. It's happening." So, that's ten players accounted for. We're still waiting on Durr and Walker.

PostPosted: 07/06/20 11:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:

Clarendon posted a story about leaving home for Florida, and Holmes posted a message saying, "You ever stopped and thought wow, I prayed for this. It's here. It's happening." So, that's ten players accounted for. We're still waiting on Durr and Walker.

Durr has been strangely quiet on IG recently. Hopefully we see her soon.
And not too worried for Walker, as I think you or someone here mentioned, she’s been training hard and had access to a gym.

root_thing

PostPosted: 07/06/20 11:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durr lives near Atlanta. Maybe she hopped on the bus with the Dream players. Wink

PostPosted: 07/07/20 8:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There is the question of who else besides Colson and the two Fever players tested positive. I wonder if Walker and/or Durr tested positive?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
root_thing

PostPosted: 07/07/20 9:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's why I was trying to determine if all the players met in Brooklyn first to fly down together. If that's the case, then I doubt the league would allow them to depart if more than one person tested positive. However, it looks to me like several players traveled alone. As far as we know, only Nurse, Zahui B., Willoughby, Shook, Jones, and Odom made it to Brooklyn. I assume they flew down together yesterday. Separately, we know Stokes, Ionescu, and Holmes made it to Bradenton. Clarendon wrote about feeling bad for leaving her pregnant wife behind but also expressed optimism for the coming season. I assume she made it down to Florida. That leaves Durr and Walker unaccounted for. It doesn't necessarily mean anything bad happened. Durr is not that active on social media. Meanwhile, Walker seems more inclined toward posting personal stuff that often has little to do with basketball -- like pictures of herself looking glamorous.

PostPosted: 07/07/20 10:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://liberty.wnba.com/news/new-york-liberty-guard-asia-durr-to-miss-2020-wnba-season/

Sad

This sucks but I respect it. Not much to go by, but I hope not injury related:

Quote:
“Asia worked extremely hard this offseason to put herself in position to take a major leap forward in her second WNBA season. While we are disappointed that we will need to wait a bit longer to see her emerge as one of the bright young players in the game, we fully recognize and support the difficult decision she had to make amidst unprecedented circumstances. Brooklyn will be ready for her in 2021.”

ClayK

PostPosted: 07/07/20 10:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So did she opt out, or is there an injury issue?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 91, 92, 93 ... 109, 110, 111  Next
Page 92 of 111

Jump to: