New York Liberty 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 82, 83, 84 ... 109, 110, 111  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 05/23/20 12:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
root_thing wrote:
tfan wrote:

This article doesn’t say one word about why she is in New York and not still in the same position with the Aces.

I had the same reaction. Raimon talks about how great it was to build a winning culture in Las Vegas from the ground up. Then she leaves for a similar position in New York. If it were a promotion, I'd understand. But a lateral move does seem to require an explanation.

Feels like it was a trade for coaches. Laimbeer probably wanted Tanisha Wright, so maybe his deal was to send Raimon to New York instead of just letting her go. Just speculation here.

Quite an interesting speculation!

PostPosted: 05/23/20 2:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Keia Clarke has been the quiet force known to fans as putting in the work to keep us together...not any more...She's been putting in WORK promoting the team this week...the coup de grace...BREAKFAST CLUB ON 105! Shock jocks yes but they behaved and actually had informed questions...worth a listen...GREAT EXPOSURE

Next up...GET US ON THE KAY SHOW OR ON WFAN PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!

https://twitter.com/nyliberty/status/1264243466223202304?s=20

PostPosted: 05/23/20 3:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:

You don't really know what is going on with Bankina any more than I do. I guess the simplest thing is to wait an see who (if any one of the 3) gets suspended or not, or comes over the play games that may or may not happen. But don't worry, if it turns out that Zahui B. comes over and the other don't I'll probably have forgotten about all this and won't post a self congratulatory BOOYAH.....but you are welcome do so if you are right.

Yesterday's announced exemption now makes this argument moot, but I had already done the research. You're right, I don't know what happened with Babkina. However, based on her Instagram account, Babkina was in Miami on February 17, returned to her Turkish team on February 25, then back in Miami on May 8. The US never restricted travel from Turkey. However, Turkey itself banned international travel on March 27. Babkina's team played its last game on March 14, so there was a window of 12 days when she could travel from Turkey to the US unimpeded.

I've never used the term BOOYAH in my entire life! Razz

PostPosted: 05/23/20 5:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://netsrepublic.com/the-liberty-three-roundtable-wholl-make-the-new-york-liberty-roster/

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Stormeo

PostPosted: 05/23/20 7:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's disappointing reading about but more so understanding how slim Odom's odds are at making this roster. She may be the rawest, but imo she has more upside than multiple players the Liberty drafted before her; and those high-upside players are the kinds of players worth developing to see if they can become something, which on a rebuilding team they'd theoretically get plenty of opportunity for development. Really though, I'm hoping none of the rookies on the team get cut.

Assuming there will be a season, this isn't a bad year to be a bad team - the product on the court can be terrible & dysfunctional as all hell, but there won't be an audience that'll start booing or sarcastically cheering in response. Laughing

toad455

PostPosted: 05/23/20 8:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

First cut is clearly Gray, second is Odom. Her chances aren't good unless two foreigners stay home and Stokes gets traded.

root_thing

PostPosted: 05/23/20 8:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Their predictions are similar to those made on this board. At this point, I don’t think there are any more tea leaves to read. We’re just three days away.

PostPosted: 05/24/20 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/eKsLEIsswTk" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

toad455

PostPosted: 05/24/20 1:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I believe the YES Network has now interviewed all of the Liberty's picks except for Odom. I'd like to give the credit for doing this but it may be they have nothing else to do or air right now.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 05/24/20 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
I believe the YES Network has now interviewed all of the Liberty's picks except for Odom. I'd like to give the credit for doing this but it may be they have nothing else to do or air right now.

They don't have lots of great options, but they still could ignore the Liberty and the WNBA as is so common in sports media. So I give them credit for these video interviews.

PostPosted: 05/24/20 9:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Randy wrote:

You don't really know what is going on with Bankina any more than I do. I guess the simplest thing is to wait an see who (if any one of the 3) gets suspended or not, or comes over the play games that may or may not happen. But don't worry, if it turns out that Zahui B. comes over and the other don't I'll probably have forgotten about all this and won't post a self congratulatory BOOYAH.....but you are welcome do so if you are right.

Yesterday's announced exemption now makes this argument moot, but I had already done the research. You're right, I don't know what happened with Babkina. However, based on her Instagram account, Babkina was in Miami on February 17, returned to her Turkish team on February 25, then back in Miami on May 8. The US never restricted travel from Turkey. However, Turkey itself banned international travel on March 27. Babkina's team played its last game on March 14, so there was a window of 12 days when she could travel from Turkey to the US unimpeded.

I've never used the term BOOYAH in my entire life! Razz

https://giphy.com/gifs/oskouioskoui-quentin-tarantino-gifscapade-jackie-brown-3oEdvcS5bqdtX0tvJC?tc=1 via @giphy

bluedevilaztecfan5

PostPosted: 05/24/20 10:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/29216547/wnba-teams-set-make-tough-decisions-roster-cuts

Quote:
Teams typically would be able to evaluate players by their on-the-court actions. Now it's more based on how quickly they pick things up on Zoom conference calls or how well they understand plays online.

Quote:
Kolb said he's been in constant contact with the international players, who are in China, Sweden, Australia, France and Canada.

"We're taking everything into consideration including things we never anticipated before like long flights," he said. "Now it's a big deal. How do they feel about that?

Quote:
Kolb said the team has been working with the league and its immigration lawyers to try to figure things out for the foreign players. There is a chance one or more of the Liberty's international players could decide she wants to stay abroad.

I’m glad to see communication has been constant with our foreigners. I hope we can figure things out with them and those who want to come over, can have that option and we don’t have to suspend them.
Guess we will find out Tuesday.

Shades

PostPosted: 05/24/20 11:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How high do you figure this rim is at?
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/k4_PIdpLMDs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 05/24/20 11:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/24/20 11:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bluedevilaztecfan5 wrote:
https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/29216547/wnba-teams-set-make-tough-decisions-roster-cuts
Quote:
Kolb said the team has been working with the league and its immigration lawyers to try to figure things out for the foreign players. There is a chance one or more of the Liberty's international players could decide she wants to stay abroad.

I’m glad to see communication has been constant with our foreigners. I hope we can figure things out with them and those who want to come over, can have that option and we don’t have to suspend them.
Guess we will find out Tuesday.

Frankly, I bet they're hoping that at least one or two of the foreigners say they don't want to come. Obviously you want the players with your coaches and developing year-on-year but they've got more than 12 players that they genuinely want to look at as potential pieces of their future, and this 'season' could end up being some kind of bizarre one-month event under strange circumstances. That might barely be worth it for someone like Han or Johannes.

You don't want to have to cut them, but if they agree to just stay home, great. Assess the Americans this year, kick in the rebuild with the international players in 2021.

PostPosted: 05/25/20 12:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Frankly, I bet they're hoping that at least one or two of the foreigners say they don't want to come. Obviously you want the players with your coaches and developing year-on-year but they've got more than 12 players that they genuinely want to look at as potential pieces of their future, and this 'season' could end up being some kind of bizarre one-month event under strange circumstances. That might barely be worth it for someone like Han or Johannes.

You don't want to have to cut them, but if they agree to just stay home, great. Assess the Americans this year, kick in the rebuild with the international players in 2021.

So far we've seen nothing to suggest that the team is eager to release (or trade) any of the 15 players. Tuesday should be quite interesting. Perhaps it'll go as you're suggesting.

PostPosted: 05/25/20 1:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So the Liberty are discouraging people by talking about long flights. Laughing This would most impact Han and Allen. Bec sounds like she wants to be here, and management has mentioned her repeatedly during the off-season. That makes Han the prime candidate to stay home. As for Europeans, Zahui definitely sounds like she wants to return (recently posting a picture of herself playing for the Liberty), and Hopkins keeps saying she is a key to their offense. Meanwhile, the little we’ve heard from Johannes in the past makes me think that playing in New York City is what gets her excited. If all teams are playing in one location – definitely not NYC – then that defeats the purpose of her coming over. Even if the Liberty do sneak a few games in at Barclays, New York under quarantine is not even a shadow of what it was before Covid19. Stay home, JoJo! Wink

PostPosted: 05/25/20 1:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ok so maybe

Ionescu/Clarendon
Durr/Jones
Nurse/Willoughby/Odom
Allen/Walker/Shook
Zahui B/Stokes

toad455

PostPosted: 05/25/20 8:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Ok so maybe

Ionescu/Clarendon
Durr/Jones
Nurse/Willoughby/Odom
Allen/Walker/Shook
Zahui B/Stokes

Seems about right. I do wonder if whenever the season begins if any player that is listed as suspended and then suddendly can (& wants) to come over would be able to?

root_thing

PostPosted: 05/25/20 9:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
Ok so maybe

Ionescu/Clarendon
Durr/Jones
Nurse/Willoughby/Odom
Allen/Walker/Shook
Zahui B/Stokes

Seems about right. I do wonder if whenever the season begins if any player that is listed as suspended and then suddendly can (& wants) to come over would be able to?

If it's like the old CBA, anyone with a season suspension can't return. However, the reason to use that type of suspension is to free-up cap space. The Liberty are way under the cap and can carry everybody with room to spare. They would likely use temporary suspensions if allowed. The question is whether they have justification to do it. In the past, players were usually temporarily suspended because they were away doing national team duty. It is possible that someone -- the league office, players union or other teams -- may object to the Liberty using suspensions as a way to deal with roster crowding and scheduling uncertainty.

PostPosted: 05/26/20 11:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Han Xu & Marine Johannes will be suspended and will not come over this season. Reshanda Gray has been waived.

PG: Ionescu/Clarendon
SG: Durr/Jones
SF: Nurse/Willoughby/Odom
PF: Allen/Walker/Shook
C: Zahui B/Stokes

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 05/26/20 11:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Han Xu & Marine Johannes will be suspended and will not come over this season. Reshanda Gray has been waived.

PG: Ionescu/Clarendon
SG: Durr/Jones
SF: Nurse/Willoughby/Odom
PF: Allen/Walker/Shook
C: Zahui B/Stokes

Kudos to everyone who had this right or mostly right.

This leaves us with a 12-player roster that includes six rookies, one second-year player (Durr), one veteran newcomer (Clarendon), and four players who've been with New York longer than two years (Nurse, Allen, Stokes, and Zahui B.).

I feel bad for Reshanda Gray. I'm sad that I won't get to see Johannes and Han this season; I was looking forward to that.

In a way, assuming there's a short 2020 season for the Liberty, for me it's going to seem a little like an extended training camp. Kolb and Hopkins will get a long look at all six rookies, which is obviously what they wanted. I guess we can all start speculating now about which of our current 14 players will be on the final Liberty roster for 2021. Smile

PostPosted: 05/26/20 11:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gray was the easy cut. Han was likely the easist to convince to stay home. More or less came down to which other foreigner would like to stay home otherwise Odom is getting cut.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 05/26/20 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Given this roster, especially with Johannes staying in France, I'd guess we'll see more of Nurse at #2 than I had been expecting.

PostPosted: 05/26/20 12:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This has got to be a record for rookies making a roster, right?

PostPosted: 05/26/20 12:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
This has got to be a record for rookies making a roster, right?

Does it still count as making a roster if we never play a game in 2020?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 82, 83, 84 ... 109, 110, 111  Next
Page 83 of 111

Jump to: