RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Atlanta Dream 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 28, 29, 30  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/19/19 3:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
The real question is does Angel come back? She is a FA according to the owners.

If the current system persists, that's what coring is for.

PostPosted: 09/20/19 6:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Angel is an UFA - the Dream could core her as stated, if that is in fact still a part of the CBA. The question would be - why? Unless she plays again overseas this winter and proves she can play with no lingering affects from lack of playing time, then why do the Dream core her, guarantee her money, just to have her sit on the bench -again?

Randy

PostPosted: 09/20/19 7:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Even if coring is done away with in the new CBA, they could possibly had a "Grandmother" clause that applies to players cored under the old CBA.

However, coring, has only been effective for players that are satisfied to stay where they are, or not good enough (making enough overseas) to demand a trade and sit out. So I wouldn't count on coring to keep Angel around if she wants to go elsewhere. She does need to prove overseas that she is at least as good as the 2018 Angel, or close to it.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/20/19 11:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Even if coring is done away with in the new CBA, they could possibly had a "Grandmother" clause that applies to players cored under the old CBA.

Not sure what you mean, unless you’re talking about a player who is in the middle of a multi year core contract. Would they be cored or not? If they did away with coring completely in the new CBA (which I don’t think will happen), then I would think that core would be voided.

If they reduce the max core count, then maybe McCoughtry will be totally free? How many cores is she up to? I’m thinking at least two.

Randy wrote:
So I wouldn't count on coring to keep Angel around if she wants to go elsewhere. She does need to prove overseas that she is at least as good as the 2018 Angel, or close to it.

If you’re still able to core McCoughtry under the new CBA, it’s a no-brainer. ATL’s top 2 UFA’s are McCoughtry and Bentley. Who would you rather keep on the team, OR if you don’t want either of them (Randy hates the whole team), which one would get a higher return in a trade?

I could see Reeve being intrigued by Bentley. She once said she regretted not taking Bentley in the 2013 draft. No sure how I feel about that. Might be a better fit than DRob. But she could be a potential pp player. Reeve probably has Bentley posters on the wall, but me, I’d have to weigh all the possible options first.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight

PostPosted: 09/20/19 11:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/AtlantaDream/status/1175085459698880513

Quote:
We will be announcing something big soon ... Pay attention.

PostPosted: 09/20/19 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Quote:

This better be BIG as much as they are hyping it.

toad455

PostPosted: 09/20/19 1:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Quote:

Their new venue? New ownership?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
pilight

PostPosted: 09/20/19 2:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

Apparently this announcement is supposed to end any speculation about the team relocating

PostPosted: 09/20/19 3:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
toad455 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

Apparently this announcement is supposed to end any speculation about the team relocating

That’ll be YUGE!

Randy

PostPosted: 09/20/19 3:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seems like the interview they gave with the AJC already did that. I think it is the re-branding and associated "new look" merchandise as suggested earlier in this thread. It may incorporate the city name in the logo again, for ex. Or maybe a jersey sponsor. Who knows? Maybe the city itself will be the sponsor. After the city and other local governments have ponied up well over a billion $ for arena's, stadiums and renovations for the men's teams (Hawks, Falcons/United, Braves and even the SkyHawks) it is the least they could do......

dreamfan11

PostPosted: 09/20/19 5:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="Randy"]Seems like the interview they gave with the AJC already did that. I think it is the re-branding and associated "new look" merchandise as suggested earlier in this thread. It may incorporate the city name in the logo again, for ex. Or maybe a jersey sponsor. Who knows? Maybe the city itself will be the sponsor. After the city and other local governments have ponied up well over a billion $ for arena's, stadiums and renovations for the men's teams (Hawks, Falcons/United, Braves and even the SkyHawks) it is the least they could do......[/quote]

Right you are!

Now if someone could please walk this post over to the Mayors office.

The Dream are second class citizens Sad

lethalweapon3

PostPosted: 09/21/19 2:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It'd be nice if Jami Gertz or The Spanx Lady became the majority governor.

Would also be nice to get some regional TV again, but with the Fox Sports Networks now under the auspices of Sinclair... yeah, maybe that news can wait. Nobody needs to see Bawb reading somebody else's editorials.

~lw3

TigerVol

PostPosted: 09/22/19 3:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

This better be BIG as much as they are hyping it.

Rebranding.

They talked about it prior to the start of the season - even the players who were involved. They talked about having new merch for next season.

Nothing since then.

If we had a decent season and/or didn't have the arena mess the attempted drama would be less.

Could be a sponsor but casual fans don't care. Arena will not excite the entire Fanbase no matter the selection.

As it is the rebrand and new merch is what the team has available to gin up interest this time of year.

PostPosted: 09/22/19 5:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A rebrand and a different arena(and if its GSU, a brand new arena by 2022) will put to rest the rumors the owners will sell the team and they're relocating.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 09/22/19 7:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dreamfan11 wrote:
ATL does not need Angel IMO

Atlanta's career franchise record does not support your O.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
dreamfan11

PostPosted: 09/23/19 6:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Actually, it proves my opinion - you can not be dependent upon one person. With Angel, the Dream won 0 games (read: ZERO) in 3 WNBA Finals appearances. She is old, unhealthy, and at some point, you have to make the break and move in a new direction. This year was that year - losses, but a switch in place to propel the team a new direction. Change is hard, as evidenced by this season, but it is good in the long run. Think bigger!

[quote="Silky Johnson"][quote="dreamfan11"]ATL does not need Angel IMO[/quote]

Atlanta's career franchise record does not support your O.[/quote]

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 09/23/19 3:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dreamfan11 wrote:
Actually, it proves my opinion - you can not be dependent upon one person. With Angel, the Dream won 0 games (read: ZERO) in 3 WNBA Finals appearances.

Without McCoughtry, the Dream have made 0 (read: ZERO) WNBA Finals appearances. Without McCoughtry, the Dream have won 0 (read: ZERO) playoff series. Without McCoughtry, the Dream have had 0 (read: ZERO) winning seasons.

You are working from a very specious definition of "proof."

dreamfan11

PostPosted: 09/23/19 8:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="Silky Johnson"][quote="dreamfan11"]Actually, it proves my opinion - you can not be dependent upon one person. [b]With Angel, the Dream won 0 games (read: ZERO) in 3 WNBA Finals appearances.[/b][/quote]

[i]Without[/i] McCoughtry, the Dream have [i]made[/i] 0 (read: ZERO) WNBA Finals appearances. Without McCoughtry, the Dream have won 0 (read: ZERO) playoff series. Without McCoughtry, the Dream have had 0 (read: ZERO) winning seasons.

You are working from a very specious definition of "proof."[/quote]

Again, proving the point. They can not win WITH or WITHOUT her. TIme to move on.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 09/23/19 10:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dreamfan11 wrote:
Again, proving the point. They can not win WITH or WITHOUT her. TIme to move on.

You have, once again, failed to prove anything. Unless you are working with a definition of "winning" that is too narrow to be useful. Atlanta has only missed the playoffs once in McCoughtry's career. Their winning percentage with McCoughtry is .613. Their winning percentage without is .235.

Atlanta is the youngest franchise in the WNBA, and have been one of the more successful ones, relatively speaking. They haven't won a championship, but if you think that the Dream haven't won with McCoughtry, then you must be on some Ricky Bobby, "If you ain't first, you're last" BS. Quite frankly, looking at Atlanta's record and determining that they haven't won speaks to a level of entitlement that Dream fans have no business having, in the first place.

toad455

PostPosted: 09/24/19 10:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder if Atlanta can get Li Yueru to come over? She's a solid rebounder with a high ceiling and probably a better back-up center than either Gulich or Coates.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/24/19 11:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
I wonder if Atlanta can get Li Yueru to come over? She's a solid rebounder with a high ceiling and probably a better back-up center than either Gulich or Coates.

She didn’t even come over when Han Xu came over, so it’s probably not looking good. You can always pray that China doesn’t make the Olympics to see if it helps, right? That would probably take a big upset in qualifiers.

pilight

PostPosted: 10/03/19 7:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Angel McCoughtry has no plans to retire from basketball as she rehabs knee, enters free agency

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/nba/bs-sp-angel-mccoughtry-wnba-recovering-from-serious-injury-20191002-pmli6kot7zfc5ja76prw4wxuum-story.html

Quote:
Leaving Atlanta might be as heart-wrenching as the knee injury. McCoughtry opened an ice cream parlor called McCoughtry’s Ice Cream in January 2017, and she said running the business was a welcomed outlet for her during her recovery. But she acknowledged that the idea of starting a new chapter is enticing.

PostPosted: 10/03/19 9:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
“I’m embracing the unknown. Sometimes in life, change is good. So we’ll see. I just want to go to a team and win a championship. I would love to be on a team where I could come in and fit in and help them win.”

That doesn’t sound like staying in ATL talk. Maybe after that rumor she supposedly heard about them wanting to trade her, she wants them to beg her to stay.

Maybe she already knows the maximum number of cores is dropping in the new CBA and she is completely a free agent. That would be interesting considering her current mindset.

She grew up in Baltimore, which would only be 40 mi to DC. That would a potentially quick and easy path to a championship.

She has interest in bringing an ice cream shop to Louisville, which is 114 mi from Indianapolis. That would be an intriguing starting frontline of McCowan/Dupree/McCoughtry and Achonwa coming off the bench plus that group of guards they have.

Tina Charles was featured heavily in this latest article for some reason. Could that allude to a Liberty connection, or maybe Charles is just another player that could be a totally free agent after the new CBA. Charles and McCoughtry could chase a championship together on a team.... a team like Minnesota, perhaps. If Maya retires or takes another year off and they dump the salaries of Augustus and DRob, or trade Christmas, that would be an intriguing fit. I don’t think Reeve would pass on the opportunity to add a couple of last-leggers onto the team. Despite her supposed new outlook that you can win with youth, she’ll always love those last-leggers.

Randy

PostPosted: 10/03/19 10:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd bet on LA if she doesn't stay Atlanta. Who doesn't want to play in LA? They need a player like her who would step up in the playoffs instead playing like it's staying late after school. I think she did play with Nneka and Vadeeva back in the USSR.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 10/03/19 10:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
I'd bet on LA if she doesn't stay Atlanta. Who doesn't want to play in LA? They need a player like her who would step up in the playoffs instead playing like it's staying late after school. I think she did play with Nneka and Vadeeva back in the USSR.

Yeah im Thinking LA or DC as well . No one has mention Vegas though , they're weakest position is at SF so im sure evil bill and Cabbage would be delighted to bring in Lori Ann !

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 4 of 30

Jump to: