RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Atlanta Dream 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 28, 29, 30  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PUmatty

PostPosted: 05/26/20 4:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Maybe Sykes or Walker-Kimbrough show some signs of life on their new teams. But at this point the top three players from that draft would be Plum, Gray & Sydney Wiese or Brionna Jones.

A redraft:

1. San Antonio - K. Plum
2. Chicago - A. Gray
3. Dallas - B. Jones
4. Dallas - S. Wiese
5. San Antonio - N. Coffey
6. Washington - B. Sykes
7. Atlanta - S. Walker-Kimbrough
8. Connecticut - K. Davis
9. Chicago - E. McCall
10. Dallas - L. Allen
11. Los Angeles - A. Jones
12. Minnesota - A. Coates

Brionna Jones has shown absolutely nothing.

toad455

PostPosted: 05/26/20 5:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tweeked it, a redraft:

1. San Antonio - K. Plum
2. Chicago - A. Gray
3. Dallas - B. Sykes
4. Dallas - S. Wiese
5. San Antonio - N. Coffey
6. Washington - B. Jones
7. Atlanta - S. Walker-Kimbrough
8. Connecticut - K. Davis
9. Chicago - E. McCall
10. Dallas - L. Allen
11. Los Angeles - A. Jones
12. Minnesota - A. Coates

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
pilight

PostPosted: 06/12/20 10:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

'It’s kind of forgotten about': Tiffany Hayes' Plan to Bring Elite Basketball to South Atlanta

https://herhoopstats.substack.com/p/its-kind-of-forgotten-about-tiffany

Quote:
Two weeks after Hayes got the keys to the building, the coronavirus pandemic forced her to shut down operations for the time being. Hayes had planned to do extensive renovations, including repainting and redoing the floors and adding weight rooms and recovery spaces.

PostPosted: 06/12/20 1:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's a great story. Sounds like a perfect fit for Tip, her family and the local community.

Shades

PostPosted: 06/16/20 2:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://theathletic.com/1874659/2020/06/16/nicki-collen-on-the-wnbas-plan-and-its-impact-on-the-dream/

Quote:
The WNBA is back, and Nicki Collen can’t wait to get to work with her new-look Dream roster … finally.

On Monday, the league announced its plan for a shortened 2020 regular season, which was set to begin on May 15 but delayed on April 3. The regular season will feature a 22-game format starting in late July and will be played at IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla., followed by a traditional playoff format and the WNBA Finals set to end in October.

“I’m excited. I think that it’s been a work in progress, and certainly, the health and safety of everyone involved has been at the forefront through all of this,” said Collen, who is entering her third season as the Dream’s head coach. “I think it’s been a difficult process from the league level to even getting to a resolution with the players association that everyone could feel good about. By everyone, I think most people feel really good about it. Just grateful honestly

It’s the Athletic, so all I could get was the boring preview.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
lethalweapon3

PostPosted: 06/16/20 5:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In the hopefully unnecessary yet foreseeable event of a Florida Hurricane evacuation in mid-season, can College Park's arena and airport-area hotels be made temporary-bubble-ready?

~lw3

Randy

PostPosted: 06/16/20 5:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lethalweapon3 wrote:
In the hopefully unnecessary yet foreseeable event of a Florida Hurricane evacuation in mid-season, can College Park's arena and airport-area hotels be made temporary-bubble-ready?

~lw3

I'm sure it could. Kelly could fly all the teams back in her private plane - just like she did for all those Georgians stranded on vacation overseas. Laughing

toad455

PostPosted: 06/18/20 10:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Renee Montgomery opts-out of 2020 season. Locks in Carter as their starting PG. Curious to see who they'll bring in now.

Randy

PostPosted: 06/18/20 11:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Renee Montgomery opts-out of 2020 season. Locks in Carter as their starting PG. Curious to see who they'll bring in now.

Fortunately for them Bentley has already signed with LV......

Stormeo

PostPosted: 06/18/20 3:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Montgomery now opting out is tough timing for one of Cazorla and Pivec. Although, if they can get her here, Babkina is an option to bring back without jumping through any 'hoops' of the suspended-status variety. If she's still stateside, even better. But there are several other free-agent PGs with experience out there, too. And I suppose if they don't feel they need another guard, Kobi Thornton never did sign her contract... an ingenious move on her part, perhaps? Wink

I have to wonder what other unexpected opt-outs are now gonna be in store for Collen.

toad455

PostPosted: 06/18/20 5:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Any foreigner would need to be quarantineed for at least 7 days. So bringing in a foreigner as a replacement probably won't happen.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 06/18/20 6:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

It won't help their shooting but

Boyd seems like a good fit with Atl

toad455

PostPosted: 06/18/20 8:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
toad455 wrote:

They have Alexis Jones and Dietrick. Though Dietrick never got off the bench in Seattle last season(106 minutes in total for 2019).

PG: Carter/Jones
SG: CWilliams/Dietrick
SF: Hayes/Stricklen
PF: Johnson/Billings
C: EWilliams/Brown/Brewer

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 06/18/20 8:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kelly Loeffler ranks up there with Donald Sterling as a basketball team owner. The WNBA need to tell Kelly Loeffler to sell the Dream. I'm proud to be a fan of the Mystics a Progressive Team.

Kelly Loeffler

@KLoeffler
“At a time when radical liberals are attacking our values and unhinged progressives are bringing chaos to our communities, America simply cannot afford another career politician.”

https://www.hoopfeed.com/content/2020/06/mystics-owners-monumental-sports-unveil-a-slate-of-social-justice-initiatives-that-includes-a-call-for-police-reform/

bluedevilaztecfan5

PostPosted: 06/18/20 10:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
Kelly Loeffler ranks up there with Donald Sterling as a basketball team owner. The WNBA need to tell Kelly Loeffler to sell the Dream. I'm proud to be a fan of the Mystics a Progressive Team.

Kelly Loeffler

@KLoeffler
“At a time when radical liberals are attacking our values and unhinged progressives are bringing chaos to our communities, America simply cannot afford another career politician.”

https://www.hoopfeed.com/content/2020/06/mystics-owners-monumental-sports-unveil-a-slate-of-social-justice-initiatives-that-includes-a-call-for-police-reform/

Ditto re the Liberty and the Tsai family.

I really don’t understand people being unwilling to grow for equality. Like the USA used to have values that maintained slavery and did not count womxn as full citizens (voting).
I wonder what ‘American’ values Kelly feels are under attack?
Perhaps white superiority, or the rich getting richer, with a disproportionate number of POC being incarcerated. Is that what she values?

I understand people having more fiscal conservative values. But the whole movement is one demanding fair treatment and equality (perhaps reparation), by dismantling systemic racism and bias. Is that not a value Kelly wants for America?

Randy

PostPosted: 06/19/20 9:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
toad455 wrote:

I always liked Boyd, because she always seemed to find her shooting touch against Atlanta. She certainly would be improvement over Big Brick Bentley.

myrtle

PostPosted: 06/19/20 9:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's part of the "hey, who needs a PG?" movement.

- Amanda Gorman
Shades

PostPosted: 06/19/20 4:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VmZFD3l-T3Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
toad455

PostPosted: 06/23/20 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hayes opting out. Likely puts Stricklen in as their starting SF unless she sits, too.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 06/23/20 3:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Hayes opting out. Likely puts Stricklen in as their starting SF unless she sits, too.

https://dream.wnba.com/news/hayes-opts-out-for-2020-season/

Quote:
"This was not an easy decision but I believe it is in my best interest with everything going on right now. Although I love playing this game, I believe there are much more important things to be thinking about in this moment..."

Seems like a blanket statement that covers both social justice and the virus. And she's never sat out a season before so she probably didn't hate this opportunity to further rest her body.

This could be ideal for the Dream assuming Carter, C. Williams, and Stricklen all opt in. That perimeter logjam has now taken care of itself. I wonder if Pivec is kicking herself for agreeing to be full-year suspended, or if she did it cuz she never felt comfortable playing anyway due to the virus' existence. Either way, she could've easily beat out Dietrick here for a rotation spot with only Alexis Jones as the other bench guard. Rolling Eyes

If one of the post players opts out, they could probably get Coates back... if they wanted her.

toad455

PostPosted: 06/23/20 4:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have to imagine the Dream are looking at signing a wing now. Possibly Carson or Laney come to mind.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 06/23/20 5:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:

Seems like a blanket statement that covers both social justice and the virus.

Stormeo, this isn't pointed at you, but I am so confused by this idea of sitting out for social justice. I don't understand what that means doing that you can't do while playing. I can't wrap my head around what Maya Moore did last year that couldn't have been done while she was playing ball.

bluedevilaztecfan5

PostPosted: 06/23/20 5:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Seems like a blanket statement that covers both social justice and the virus.

Stormeo, this isn't pointed at you, but I am so confused by this idea of sitting out for social justice. I don't understand what that means doing that you can't do while playing. I can't wrap my head around what Maya Moore did last year that couldn't have been done while she was playing ball.

I can’t claim to have an opinion coming from a place of knowing, as I’m not Black, nor am I a professional athlete. I am a person of color, and queer so I can relate in some ways. But in many ways I know I am very different because I don’t have the Black life experience.

My personal thoughts are that it’s making a statement. Sacrificing something you love, to fight for something the world needs. Who sees this sacrifice and how many people will it actually foster change within?
Maybe not many (WNBA superstar Maya Moore did great work, but if I remember correctly one article on her advocacy barely recognized her).
So perhaps it’s more of an internal moral- they don’t want to have the privilege they have, while others in their community continue to suffer horrible injustices. One might ask, why now when it’s been this way for quite a while? Fatigue maybe, or the prominence of the issue at this point in time.

I agree that this could be done while playing sports (panels, interviews on national sports networks, statements on jerseys/warmups/pre game swag), even within a bubble.
But maybe they want to be out there in the world, protesting or being with family in this time of potential revolution.
Maybe they don’t want to be in the ‘safety’ of a bubble while their community is not.

Just my speculations, could be way off. But whatever each individual players reasoning, in this conversation stemming from social justice, I support them.
Would I personally make the decision? It’s hard to say, I would lean toward playing, but I don’t think there’s a right or wrong choice, there can be good work done by the players in both situations.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 06/23/20 7:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well said, bdaf5. Smile

Here are my guesses as to how a player wouldn't actually have the time to play in the W. A player could sit out to attend these seemingly daily protests now that seem to be in every major city. I know for example that Montgomery was documented as handing out waterbottles to protestors, and at this point in the calendar, everyone's gotta stay hydrated. Or, a player could get directly involved by taking on an actual position in a local/national organization (a nonprofit or another form of foundation). If nothing else, players can get Maya Moore's number and call her up to see if she has any pointers or related connections that'd keep 'em busy.

I'd say that the players sitting out primarily for social justice reasons don't consider the act of sitting out as its own statement, of sorts. I'd certainly hope that they wouldn't use social justice as an excuse just to take a summer off - it'd be better to flat-out say that they just want to rest more if that's the case - and really, I don't think any player in this League would do that. They're so used to fighting for themselves, for each other, and for what's right - they of all people would know how to do it. But I do hope those sitting out just for social justice reasons keep us updated on what they chose to do in lieu of playing in the W, so that us fans & others don't have to wonder or speculate about it...

TigerVol

PostPosted: 06/23/20 7:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I suspect for most who decide to opt out the decision just feels right.

Maybe some have a no brainer decision based on a single factor.

But there is so much happening that impacts each player in very personal and different ways. For most the decision is probably a nuanced combo of a bunch of things.

That is our strength and beauty. Everyone is different. Everyone has a different way to handle things and to make her contribution.

For some that may be playing. Giving folks a respite of normalcy to recharge. For others it may be playing and using that active platform. For some it may be taking a break to do things in the background for their family and community. For others it may be taking a break for more public Activism.

There is no right or wrong answer here. Players need to be true to themselves in this moment.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 23 of 30

Jump to: