View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randy

PostPosted: 09/10/19 9:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sounding better and better.

toad455

PostPosted: 09/10/19 9:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Randy wrote:
I think that place could be a long term solution, though I don't think it is on MARTA (that was always an issue with the Braves back in the Turner Field days) but there should be plenty of parking. It is probably a couple of seasons away.

It's a 15 minute walk from the Georgia State station

So they play 2 seasons at GSU in their current arena, and then move into the new arena for 2022. I hope this is where the owners are looking at. Also, just found out that they practice at GSU. Seems all the more season to play there, too.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Randy

PostPosted: 09/10/19 10:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I went to a pre-season scrimmage against the Opals in 2014 at GSU. It seems like it was just bleachers, but they may have upgraded it since then. For Dream crowds arena size doesn't matter. Here is a screen shot of SF at the start of the 3rd quarter against the Liberty last Sunday. Announced 5000+

[img]https://ibb.co/HqSrksj[/img]

https://ibb.co/HqSrksj

lethalweapon3

PostPosted: 09/10/19 4:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FWIW, MARTA's working on a BRT line that will connect North Avenue (southside of Midtown) with the south-end BeltLine. It may not be operational until 2025, but because it's BRT instead of LRT there's local interest in fast-tracking (excuse the pun). It would go by the new GSU arena and GSU MARTA Station, and is about a block away from the old GSU arena.

https://www.itsmarta.com/uploadedfiles/MoreMARTAAtlantaMap06192019.pdf

(the GSU Stadium on the MARTA map is the football stadium, the old Turner Field)

I'd be fine holding out at the old Panthers arena (where they practice anyway) for a few seasons until the new one is ready to go. I suspect that if Hawks Inc is truly playing hardball that the Skyhawks Arena in CPK is off the table, too, but we'll see.

As for the roster, if the team is indeed still here in 2020... My Kingdom, for Shooters. Minnesotans like ice cream in the summertime, too.

~lw3

Randy

PostPosted: 09/10/19 6:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lethalweapon3 wrote:

I'd be fine holding out at the old Panthers arena (where they practice anyway) for a few seasons until the new one is ready to go.I suspect that if Hawks Inc is truly playing hardball that the Skyhawks Arena in CPK is off the table, too, but we'll see.

As for the roster, if the team is indeed still here in 2020... My Kingdom, for Shooters. Minnesotans like ice cream in the summertime, too.

~lw3

Can't really see why Hawks would be hostile to the Dream. Though the Dream owners were part of one of the competing groups that bid on the Hawks when the sale took place.

GSU is sounding more realistic than it might have seemed in the past. The Liberty and Mystics have clearly changed the definition of what is an acceptable WNBA arena for better or worse.

Shooters: Great shooters from Dream history - Laurie Koehn, Catherine Kraayeveld, Shoni, Inga Orechova, Kristy Wallace.......

toad455

PostPosted: 09/10/19 7:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:

Can't really see why Hawks would be hostile to the Dream. Though the Dream owners were part of one of the competing groups that bid on the Hawks when the sale took place.

GSU is sounding more realistic than it might have seemed in the past. The Liberty and Mystics have clearly changed the definition of what is an acceptable WNBA arena for better or worse.

Shooters: Great shooters from Dream history - Laurie Koehn, Catherine Kraayeveld, Shoni, Inga Orechova, Kristy Wallace.......

The Liberty for worse. The Mystics for better. no professional team should be subjected to playing in an arena like WCC. I just wish the Mystics arena had the ability to expand.

Badger_Ball

PostPosted: 09/11/19 8:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Watching DeShields play to night, highlights the unfortunate reality for Dream fans that Michael Cooper truly hurt the franchise with his decisions to trade their first round pick for McGee-Stafford and Tamera Young. That’s gotta hurt.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 09/11/19 8:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Badger_Ball wrote:
Watching DeShields play to night, highlights the unfortunate reality for Dream fans that Michael Cooper truly hurt the franchise with his decisions to trade their first round pick for McGee-Stafford and Tamera Young. That’s gotta hurt.

What trade was worse: the pick that turned into Diamond DeShields for Imani McGee-Stafford & Tamera Young or Pedro Martinez for Delino DeShields?

Randy

PostPosted: 09/11/19 10:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Badger_Ball wrote:

In hindsight though Indiana should have taken Deshields so Dream should have never had her if everybody then was as smart as we are now. The Dream could have Nurse, Vivians or K. Mitchell though, all a lot better than IMS as well as a half dozen or so others in that draft. Trading the first round draft pick has been one of the regular moves the Dream have made since long before the days of Cooper. Unfortunately, when they kept them they usually turned out to be Chanel Mokango, Sam Logic or Shoni Shimmel so I kind of get it. They usually have done better with latter picks (Holmes - 11, Hayes 14, Bentley 13 and Billings 15.) But it can come back to bite you.

BTW - we may well have another chance to get IMS if she doesn't make the cut at Dallas next year. At this point there is not much difference between Williams and IMS.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 09/12/19 7:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
In hindsight though Indiana should have taken Deshields so Dream should have never had her if everybody then was as smart as we are now. The Dream could have Nurse, Vivians or K. Mitchell though, all a lot better than IMS as well as a half dozen or so others in that draft. Trading the first round draft pick has been one of the regular moves the Dream have made since long before the days of Cooper. Unfortunately, when they kept them they usually turned out to be Chanel Mokango, Sam Logic or Shoni Shimmel so I kind of get it. They usually have done better with latter picks (Holmes - 11, Hayes 14, Bentley 13 and Billings 15.) But it can come back to bite you.

BTW - we may well have another chance to get IMS if she doesn't make the cut at Dallas next year. At this point there is not much difference between Williams and IMS.

Last night Collier became only the 2nd rookie this decade to have a point-rebound dobule-double in the playoffs after IMS so I guess I completely forgot about how great of a player IMS is. Embarassed

ucbart

PostPosted: 09/12/19 9:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
Randy wrote:

Last night Collier became only the 2nd rookie this decade to have a point-rebound dobule-double in the playoffs after IMS so I guess I completely forgot about how great of a player IMS is. Embarassed

I was shocked when I saw that she was the player that did this. It just goes to show that in game records in a basketball game are a lot like a team that wins a soccer game 1-0 on a PK goal, in a game where they were dominated by the other team.

Randy

PostPosted: 09/12/19 7:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some interesting stats:

Hayes: 22 games up to (incl.) Aug 10, 2019 14 PPG, 3.5 FTA
7 games after Aug 10, 2019 16.9 PPG 7.3 FTA.

She should send Anigwe and Griner a thank you note for getting the refs to start calling fouls again.

dreamfan11

PostPosted: 09/18/19 6:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good morning - with the 4th pick in the WNBA draft, the Atlanta Dream select: ______________.

Who might it be, who should it be, who should the pick be traded for?

And, as a long time reader, first time writer, I am excited about the Dream.

Bad year, yes, but statistically, EVERY team member who was on last year's team had a worse year that '18; the team missed waaaaaaaay too many open shots and layups - stuff coaches can't do.

From what I read, the Dream had the lead in the 4th quarter around 12 of the last 16 games - and only won 3.

Last year, in crazy statistics, the Dream were 18-0 taking a lead into the 4th quarter; they were 11-0 in games decided by 5 points or less.

That just doesn't happen. And I challenge you to find another team that has done that.

But keep in mind - last year, a 3/4 court shot by Hayes to win in CT; McCoughtry a circus shot to win at buzzer at home; and Whalen missed an uncontested layup that would have been a game winner...

That is three "lucky" wins right there.

This year, law of averages played out - team missed more open shots than any team in the last two seasons - plays designed or created to find the open man - and missed.

Lay-ups - DONK - missed at an amazing rate.

The coaching staff is D-LUX - you do not win COY honors and then forget how to coach. Players need to be responsible for their inability to perform on the court.

This year:

Unhealthy Angel;

Billings, Hayes, Breland and Bentley all missed at least 4 games each.

Mengran Sun backed out of training camp;

Kristy Wallace reinjured her ACL in off-season;

6 players (out of 6 possible) were cored which did not allow to add a "marquee" player unless by trade.

Therefore, in my opinion, 2020 will be a whole different ballgame.

Excited for the future!

And where the team plays - who cares! As long as they play, as long as the rep the ATL, and as long as they course-correct, more fans will come on board.

It is a business after all.

Thanks for letting me post!

Randy

PostPosted: 09/18/19 7:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Welcome aboard.

ClayK

PostPosted: 09/18/19 9:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Welcome ... and great post.

I think a lot depends on how much McCoughtry has left in the tank, and how she adjusts to not being athletically superior any more. (She's still better than most, of course ...)

The fourth pick will be a roll of the dice, in a lot of ways, unless a couple players emerge during the college season. And if either Cox or Ionescu gets hurt, then it gets even tougher ... for example, let's say Cox tears an ACL. Should Atlanta draft her even if she can't play in 2020?

PostPosted: 09/18/19 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

I think a lot depends on how much McCoughtry has left in the tank, and how she adjusts to not being athletically superior any more. (She's still better than most, of course ...)

The fourth pick will be a roll of the dice, in a lot of ways, unless a couple players emerge during the college season. And if either Cox or Ionescu gets hurt, then it gets even tougher ... for example, let's say Cox tears an ACL. Should Atlanta draft her even if she can't play in 2020?

LMAO....The only time Cox is coming to Atlanta is when we are in town to play the Dream!!!

myrtle

PostPosted: 09/18/19 1:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Mompremier is the likely candidate

- Amanda Gorman
Randy

PostPosted: 09/18/19 4:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DFWub2018 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

LMAO....The only time Cox is coming to Atlanta is when we are in town to play the Dream!!!

I long for the days when Fred was doing the picking. (Or was it Bibb ??). Laughing

Randy

PostPosted: 09/18/19 7:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

More on the Dream/State Farm situation from High Post Hoops:

https://highposthoops.com/2019/09/10/dream-will-not-play-state-farm-arena-2020/

Quote:
A league source confirmed to High Post Hoops that the Hawks ownership would not extend an offer of any kind to the Dream for the 2020 season.

That's pretty shocking to me. The city of Atlanta provided $100 million plus to renovate SF Arena (which was really just gold plating) and then they refuse to let another Atlanta team play in the arena. Evil or Very Mad

Quote:
The Gateway Center will seat 3,500 for basketball games and would provide the Dream with a chance to fill an arena and create home-court advantage. And unlike State Farm Arena, the Hawks are merely tenants at Gateway Center.

My money would be on Georgia State. Who knows if the Dream play in the same place they practice maybe their shooting will improve. SF was a bit like a road game (though obviously lots of teams don't play where they practice.)

dreamfan11

PostPosted: 09/18/19 8:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Hawks ownership would not extend the Dream consideration for another season, shame on them. From my experiences in the arena, it is cavernous, but high-end. The guy in charge - Koonz (or Konins or something) is who I hear makes decisions on behalf of the Hawks and the arena. And, why doesn't the City step in and ask what is going on?

Bibb is salivating for Lauren Cox - and a tie into Baylor and a local girl. It's good marketing Smile

ATL does not need Angel IMO - she is older, commands a high salary, and is high maintenance. Look at Stewie - while younger, she has a similar injury and is way ahead of Angel who is now 13+ months removed from her injury.

If you can't get motivated to earn your max salary (not just get paid as she did), what motivates you? And, will you be the same Angel when you finally play basketball after 18-20 months?

Randy

PostPosted: 09/18/19 8:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would like to hear the Hawks side of the story, though I have my doubts whether we ever will. Not the kind of thing that makes me want to go to Hawks games.

toad455

PostPosted: 09/18/19 9:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
More on the Dream/State Farm situation from High Post Hoops:

https://highposthoops.com/2019/09/10/dream-will-not-play-state-farm-arena-2020/

Quote:
A league source confirmed to High Post Hoops that the Hawks ownership would not extend an offer of any kind to the Dream for the 2020 season.

That's pretty shocking to me. The city of Atlanta provided $100 million plus to renovate SF Arena (which was really just gold plating) and then they refuse to let another Atlanta team play in the arena. Evil or Very Mad

Quote:
The Gateway Center will seat 3,500 for basketball games and would provide the Dream with a chance to fill an arena and create home-court advantage. And unlike State Farm Arena, the Hawks are merely tenants at Gateway Center.

My money would be on Georgia State. Who knows if the Dream play in the same place they practice maybe their shooting will improve. SF was a bit like a road game (though obviously lots of teams don't play where they practice.)

Yeah, Georgia State and their soon-to-be new arena is ideal. I mean, the Mystics arena is nice & all, but it's small and likely can't be expanded.

pilight

PostPosted: 09/18/19 9:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dreamfan11 wrote:
ATL does not need Angel IMO - she is older, commands a high salary, and is high maintenance. Look at Stewie - while younger, she has a similar injury and is way ahead of Angel who is now 13+ months removed from her injury.

Well, yeah, if we can get Stewart then we should do that.

Even similar injuries can be very different. Chiney Ogwumike had the same injury that ended Cheryl Ford's career, but she was able to come back and be effective.

If we're moving on from Angel that means it's rebuilding time. That means we dump Montgomery, Breland, Hayes, and Williams and do a youth movement.

PostPosted: 09/18/19 10:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
dreamfan11 wrote:

Well, yeah, if we can get Stewart then we should do that.

Even similar injuries can be very different. Chiney Ogwumike had the same injury that ended Cheryl Ford's career, but she was able to come back and be effective.

If we're moving on from Angel that means it's rebuilding time. That means we dump Montgomery, Breland, Hayes, and Williams and do a youth movement.

The real question is does Angel come back? She is a FA according to the owners.

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 09/18/19 11:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

McCoughtry went on record and said the Dream attempted to trade her. If she’s in a Dream uniform next season I’ll be surprised.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 3 of 30

Jump to: