Atlanta Dream 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 28, 29, 30  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stormeo

PostPosted: 09/09/19 7:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
From the article:

Quote:
“Playing at State Farm was a tremendous opportunity for our fans to experience really a world-class arena,” Loeffler said. “We’re really grateful to have been able to offer that experience to our fans. But we unfortunately won’t be able to return. We understand that’s a business decision. The good news is there is a lot of venues interested in hosting the Dream – that’s our focus right now.”

It does occur to me that this could be a negotiating ploy - walk away from the table and say there are other options.....

+1. Are there even a lot of venues in the Atlanta area, let alone ones interested in hosting the Dream?
I've already said that the 3,500-seat Gateway Center at College Park seems to make the most sense, esp. if McCamish was that treacherous to get to and Infinite's location ain't great. It may be small, even by the Dream's averages, but at least the facility will be brand new. Maybe they sign a short-term lease to test it out, then move somewhere bigger as fan demand allows?

Shades

PostPosted: 09/09/19 7:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
“We are committed. We do have confidence in our coach.”

Got that, Randy?

Quote:
“We have an incredibly strong roster. This team is athletic, experienced, there’s a great mix of youth and experience. It’s a matter of people hitting their marks when it matters.”

Got that, Randy?

Quote:
“We certainly need Angel, or someone like Angel.”

Maya?

Quote:
“Most teams have an Angel who you know can score 16 to 30 points on any night.”

Maya.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Randy

PostPosted: 09/09/19 7:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo, we've talked about those 3, here's another:

https://www.yelp.com/biz/gsu-sports-arena-atlanta.

Quote:
This review for the Georgia State University Sports Arena is long overdue. The GSU Sports Arena is home to Georgia State's men's and women's basketball teams as well as the women's volleyball team. It's located in Downtown Atlanta, just a couple blocks away from the State Capitol. It opened in 1973.

I attended a Georgia Tech at Georgia State men's basketball game here and I believe it was the only time in the schools' histories that Tech played a true "road" game at State in 17 meetings. In the past, State has played at Tech. Tech won in a close contest, 72-67, and is currently 16-1 all-time against State (.941 win percentage).

GSU Sports Arena is small with an official capacity of 3,854. Compare that to Tech's McCamish Pavilion at 8,600 seats (yelp.com/biz/mccamish-pa…) and Kennesaw State University's Convocation Center at 4,600 seats (yelp.com/biz/ksu-convoca…). At approximately 3,800 seats, GSU Sports Arena reminds me of a high school gym, but bigger. The good thing about small arenas is the atmosphere. They can sell out and get packed and loud quick. I haven't been to a lot of mid-major college basketball arenas, but I thought the size of GSU Sports Arena was appropriate for the level and popularity of the program.

Quote:
Former GSU coach Ron Hunter, who's now the head coach at Tulane, elevated the status of GSU basketball during his time with the team (2011-12 through 2018-19). He led the Panthers to six postseason appearances in eight seasons including three appearances in the NCAA tournament. They peaked in 2015, making it to the round of 32.

The increased prominence in GSU basketball led to Georgia Governor Brian Kemp's May 2019 approval of a fiscal year 2020 state budget, effective July 1, 2019, that includes $48 million for a new convocation center and basketball arena for GSU (additional construction costs will come from private funding). The new arena will be located at the corner of Capitol Ave SE and Fulton St SW, near Georgia State Stadium (the old Turner Field), home of the Panthers football team. It will seat about 8,000 people.

Last edited by Randy on 09/09/19 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Randy

PostPosted: 09/09/19 7:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What's your point Shades? Are you saying Maya is coming to Atlanta?

Or are you just annoyed that I included Collen in my poll? I actually voted for Smith.....

Last edited by Randy on 09/09/19 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
toad455

PostPosted: 09/09/19 7:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GSU sounds like another Westchester County Center. No thanks. I'm pulling for Gateway Center despite it's limited capacity. Unless the Hawks don't want them there, too. Maybe Infinite Energy(Duluth, GA) is the best choice? The WNBA Finals game there in 2013 drew just over 5,000.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
TigerVol

PostPosted: 09/09/19 7:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
From the article:

Quote:
“Playing at State Farm was a tremendous opportunity for our fans to experience really a world-class arena,” Loeffler said. “We’re really grateful to have been able to offer that experience to our fans. But we unfortunately won’t be able to return. We understand that’s a business decision. The good news is there is a lot of venues interested in hosting the Dream – that’s our focus right now.”

It does occur to me that this could be a negotiating ploy - walk away from the table and say there are other options.....

This would surprise me - doubt the Dream have any leverage at State Farm.

Whether solely on the Hawks org or the Dream being difficult or both... It was pretty clear all season the relationship wasn't good.

The arena experience was light years better at Philips pre-renovation.

PostPosted: 09/09/19 7:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Randy wrote:
From the article:

Quote:

+1. Are there even a lot of venues in the Atlanta area, let alone ones interested in hosting the Dream?
I've already said that the 3,500-seat Gateway Center at College Park seems to make the most sense, esp. if McCamish was that treacherous to get to and Infinite's location ain't great. It may be small, even by the Dream's averages, but at least the facility will be brand new. Maybe they sign a short-term lease to test it out, then move somewhere bigger as fan demand allows?

Have you spent much time in Atlanta?

PostPosted: 09/09/19 7:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
GSU sounds like another Westchester County Center. No thanks. I'm pulling for Gateway Center despite it's limited capacity. Unless the Hawks don't want them there, too. Maybe Infinite Energy(Duluth, GA) is the best choice? The WNBA Finals game there in 2013 drew just over 5,000.

If they go Gateway they will need to draw exclusively from the community in that area.

No way to make that commute on a weeknight if you aren't in the area or on the non-city side.

They will be fine for g league. Might be great for dream if they convince more g league fans to get over the dunk and only boys play ball bias.

Really aren't great options that don't force a community vs a wider city/suburb model.

New arena for state might be good size and location wise (don't k ow about parking or Marta) ... Outside of being 2+ years away...optimistically.

PostPosted: 09/09/19 7:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Infinite Energy is a nice arena. No MARTA access, which makes it a long trip.

The Atlanta Glory of the ABL played at Forbes Arena, which also hosted some preliminary basketball games during the Olympics. It seats 6000.

John H Lewis Gymnasium seats 7000. It was home to the Atlanta Krunk of the CBA.

Last edited by pilight on 09/09/19 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stormeo

PostPosted: 09/09/19 7:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Stormeo, we've talked about those 3, here's another:

https://www.yelp.com/biz/gsu-sports-arena-atlanta.

Oof, the one thing I really don't like is that high-school-gym look, mostly cuz I think the players would be really turned off by it. Otherwise, if the price, location, accessibility is there - and if it can really hold more than Gateway's 3,500 - then maybe they do go for it.

Randy

PostPosted: 09/09/19 7:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

And an impossibly slow trip on weeknights for any body who doesn't already live or work in the vicinity.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 09/09/19 8:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TigerVol wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
Randy wrote:
From the article:

Quote:

Have you spent much time in Atlanta?

Lol I have not, mostly going off of what other people have said & am drawing my own lil conclusions. Correct/Drag me as needed Smile

pilight

PostPosted: 09/09/19 8:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
pilight wrote:

And an impossibly slow trip on weeknights for any body who doesn't already live or work in the vicinity.

For me, coming from Macon, it would add almost an hour each way

PostPosted: 09/09/19 8:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For me coming from Sandy Springs it adds more than an hour on weeknights. It can easily take 2 hours to go from 400 to 285 to 85 to Infinite Energy.

Looks like this new GSU arena is for real. Money approved. Design work has begun. Probably a couple years away. So maybe this has something to do with the "big news" they are teasing about.

https://247sports.com/college/georgia-state/Article/Georgia-State-Basketball-The-Latest-Convocation-Center-Details-Emerge-135249831/

https://247sports.com/college/georgia-state/Article/Georgia-State-Basketball-Potential-New-Arena-Renderings-Released-125815946/

Last edited by Randy on 09/09/19 8:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
TigerVol

PostPosted: 09/09/19 8:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Great free parking and good traffic flow.

Nightmare weeknight commute from the city much less outside of it (unless to the north). But that is Atlanta.

Not going to have a solution that checks all the ideal boxes - might not even get 80%.

Braves moved to Cobb because their market research showed the bulk of their fans came from Cobb and North so they could pick up more than they lost - and they did lose some folks.

The Dream will hopefully know their current base and the realistic potential to expand the base...make the lesser of evils Choice and hope it works.

PostPosted: 09/09/19 8:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Perhaps the most significant thing is they didn't say "getting Angel back" is the highest priority...

I don't really understand why you would think that. I mean, speaking as someone who self-identifies as a McCoughtry fan, and can take or leave the Dream... in a vacuum, re-signing McCoughtry shouldn't be their Number One priority. McCoughtry turns thirty-three tomorrow, and has a ton of miles on her, already. She's still the best player on the team you guys have right now and, if she opts to come back, she's going to be the best player you guys have next year, too, unless you can talk Maya Moore into accepting a trade.

That being said, since that article indicates that McCoughtry is a free agent, we know that said trade won't include her. Y'all's most tradeable assets are Hayes, Williams and Sykes. You can't afford to get rid of both Hayes and Sykes, and I've already gone on record as saying that I think that Sykes is the one you should keep, between the two. I can't imagine, given the personnel that Minnesota has, that Hayes and Williams would bring you back Moore, though, so you'd probably have to get a third team involved.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 09/09/19 8:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
GSU sounds like another Westchester County Center.

I mean, Georgia State is actually in the city of Atlanta so, not so much.

TigerVol

PostPosted: 09/09/19 8:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
For me coming from Sandy Springs it adds more than an hour on weeknights. It can easily take 2 hours to go from 400 to 285 to 85 to Infinite Energy.

Looks like this new GSU arena is for real. Money approved. Design work has begun. Probably a couple years away. So maybe this has something to do with the "big news" they are teasing about.

https://247sports.com/college/georgia-state/Article/Georgia-State-Basketball-The-Latest-Convocation-Center-Details-Emerge-135249831/

https://247sports.com/college/georgia-state/Article/Georgia-State-Basketball-Potential-New-Arena-Renderings-Released-125815946/

I think the big news is the rebranding...

Haven't offered good merch in several years - 3 or 4? Need to keep selling to existing fans and new ones to make good money on that front.

PostPosted: 09/09/19 8:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I"m not an Angel fan anyway, and agree with you Silky - she did great things for the Dream, but those days are over and the Dream should move on. In fact, they may have no choice since Angel may want to go elsewhere and apparently is free to go. I don't think they can possibly get Moore no matter who they offer unless she demands it, which I doubt. She seems to love the Lynx. Now, if Dream got the No. 1 pick maybe.......But the odds against that are 10 to 1.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 09/09/19 8:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Randy wrote:
pilight wrote:

For me, coming from Macon, it would add almost an hour each way

Holy hell, you drive up from Macon to watch the Dream?

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 09/09/19 8:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
I"m not an Angel fan anyway, and agree with you Silky - she did great things for the Dream, but those days are over and the Dream should move on...

Uh... that ain't what the hell I said. I said that y'all shouldn't make re-signing McCoughtry your top priority; I didn't say shit about "moving on." I still think y'all should re-sign her, I just think that it should be lower down the list of things y'all should take care of than Number One.

Randy

PostPosted: 09/09/19 8:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
Randy wrote:
I"m not an Angel fan anyway, and agree with you Silky - she did great things for the Dream, but those days are over and the Dream should move on...

Uh... that ain't what the hell I said. I said that y'all shouldn't make re-signing McCoughtry your top priority; I didn't say shit about "moving on." I still think y'all should re-sign her, I just think that it should be lower down the list of things y'all should take care of than Number One.

Thanks for pointing that out. I don't like when people jump to conclusions or misrepresent what I'm saying either.

toad455

PostPosted: 09/09/19 9:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:

the new arena at Georgia State seems ideal. 8,000 capacity. They need more events there anyways, so might as well pull in a pro team for the summer. At least the owners seem dedicated to the Dream and we shouldn't worry about relocation. But the Dream wouldn't play in the new arena until 2022 the earliest.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Randy

PostPosted: 09/10/19 7:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think that place could be a long term solution, though I don't think it is on MARTA (that was always an issue with the Braves back in the Turner Field days) but there should be plenty of parking. It is probably a couple of seasons away.

pilight

PostPosted: 09/10/19 7:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
I think that place could be a long term solution, though I don't think it is on MARTA (that was always an issue with the Braves back in the Turner Field days) but there should be plenty of parking. It is probably a couple of seasons away.

It's a 15 minute walk from the Georgia State station

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 2 of 30

Jump to: