76%
 76%  [ 13 ]
Liberty
23%
 23%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 17

Stormeo

PostPosted: 08/30/19 7:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Welp, looks like the Libs in fact are trying to get a victory for their home crowd Laughing

pilight

PostPosted: 08/30/19 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Sun have come unglued since the techs

PostPosted: 08/30/19 8:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sun go on a run to end the third. Sun up 67-61.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
toad455

PostPosted: 08/30/19 8:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Han Xu 2-2 from 3pt tonight!!

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 08/30/19 8:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Han Xu 2-2 from 3pt tonight!!

New career high, at that.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
RI_Sun_Fan

PostPosted: 08/30/19 8:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With the win, the Sun can finish no worse than third.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 08/30/19 8:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Predictable outcome but happy to finally see some extended Han Xu action.

PostPosted: 08/30/19 8:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thought we'd get blown out in this out, especially with Charles resting. glad it was a close game and Johannes had another big game and Han Xu had a career-high.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 08/30/19 8:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Johannes: 27 minutes, 8-14 from the field, 4-8 on three-pointers, five rebounds, six assists, 21 points. Should I rant one more time about Katie Smith's ridiculous, erratic use of Johannes since that game where Johannes was 6-6?

toad455

PostPosted: 08/30/19 8:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
Johannes: 27 minutes, 8-14 from the field, 4-8 on three-pointers, five rebounds, six assists, 21 points. Should I rant one more time about Katie Smith's ridiculous, erratic use of Johannes since that game where Johannes was 6-6?

Johannes has been [way] off since that game. Can't blame Smith for limiting her minutes. She was 6-35 from Aug. 11 - Aug. 27.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 08/30/19 8:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:

Johannes has been [way] off since that game. Can't blame Smith for limiting her minutes. She was 6-35 from Aug. 11 - Aug. 27.

Yes, I know. But WHY was Johannes 6-35? In the first game after Johannes was 6-6, Smith sat her for the first 15 minutes. A bizarre message to a player who'd just torn it up--especially on a terrible team where the guards ahead of Johannes were hardly wonderful. And Smith has used Johannes erratically ever since.

I blame Smith. Especially since her handling of Johannes followed the bizarre way she jerked around Kia Nurse's playing time in 2018. I believe Smith shook the confidence of both of them.

Last edited by Bob Lamm on 08/30/19 11:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/30/19 10:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We saw some of Johannes's fun passing skills tonight as well. You don't see many gunners who can throw the ball around like that to their teammates; it's usually one or the other. I really hope she keeps coming back to this league. The WNBA style may actually suit her better than typical FIBA basketball.

PostPosted: 08/30/19 11:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
We saw some of Johannes's fun passing skills tonight as well. You don't see many gunners who can throw the ball around like that to their teammates; it's usually one or the other. I really hope she keeps coming back to this league. The WNBA style may actually suit her better than typical FIBA basketball.

Excellent points. Totally agree on both. Pretty entertaining game for a change. I had a difficult day physically so heading to sleep but I have a ton of thoughts about what I feel this game demonstrated. Hopefully it will create some talking points tomorrow.

PostPosted: 08/30/19 11:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Johannes made her WNBA debut against the Sky in Chicago. In light of the anticipation Liberty fans had, I wondered if she was going to live up to the hype.

In 16 minutes, she scored ten points, had one rebound, three assists and one turnover. I chalked it up to great instincts because she clearly couldn't have learned the playbook that quickly! The fact that her effectiveness plummeted within the next few games made me think that was a coaching issue. So I am glad to hear she had a great game this evening.

PostPosted: 08/31/19 12:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

NYL_WNBA_FAN and I have actually discussed this before. I was not that impressed with Johannes before NY signed her. I had only seen Marine on the French National Team where she was seemingly used mostly as a spot-up shooter. The creativity was not apparent. However, the fancy dribbling and passing is there on her highlight reel for LFB and Euroleague. Maybe Valérie Garnier is holding her back. Watching Eurobasket, it looked like Johannes was benched at key moments in favor of Hartley. In fact, during the quarterfinal against Belgium, Johannes was not on the court in the closing seconds of regulation when Hartley hit that 3pt shot to send the game into overtime. Needing a 3 to tie, you would think Marine would be an obvious choice. Instead, she took a backseat to the newest player on the team -- and Hartley made Garnier look like a genius. Smile

PostPosted: 08/31/19 8:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Numerous interesting takes from this game. First off, given the freedom and spacing to work within an offense not geared toward Tina, Johannes played great. Not only the 21 points but 6 assists and 5 rebounds. Besides that, she made several quick passes that flat-out surprised teammates who are obviously not used to receiving passes the second they are open. I think it demonstrates a few things. First, there are clearly ways to emphasize Tina without OVERemphasizing her. I think quarters 1, 2 and 4 also showed how dire the Libs' interior defense situation has been...and I would say it was even worse without Tina. Tina is not a help defender of any magnitude but is still a pretty good one-on-one defender most of the time. Without her last night I'd say Nayo was the only defensive spark.

Which leads me to something else. Playing freely and easily, Nayo demonstrated moves and quickness that we have seen in the past. When you see players like Johannes and Nayo do well with increased role and opportunity that is befitting of their talent, it's maddening that they are not provided those opportunities more often.

Also maddening was to see the Liberty flying around and playing really hard on defense in the third quarter but not seeing it in the other 3 quarters. It goes back to the issue of wondering why there doesn't seem to be accountability when the defensive energy isn't there at a WNBA level.

Without a defensive force in the middle, this team was never going to be a great defensive team. But when you see last night's performance and look at the talent that IS here, there's just no doubt that there is more talent than a 9-win group.

Hopefully Johannes returns to the Libs next year. Good to see Han get some run in a game where a win meant nothing. She showed flashes of great promise and some obvious areas that will need improvement. But all-in-all a nice showing for a young and very raw player. Her innocent enthusiasm seems like it can be infectious.

PostPosted: 08/31/19 9:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So, here's my question: Would Tina have interest in ring-chasing? She is getting to the later stages of her career, and it's not going to happen in NY.

Also, would NY be open to making a big move away from Tina? Would, say, Chicago, be able to package something that would make NY pull the trigger?

It seems to me that a move like that would be the best for all involved at this point.

toad455

PostPosted: 08/31/19 9:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tina's not leaving anytime soon. As long as the thought of her playing in her backyard is present, she's not leaving the Liberty.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 08/31/19 9:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Tina's not leaving anytime soon. As long as the thought of her playing in her backyard is present, she's not leaving the Liberty.

Did she tell you that?

toad455

PostPosted: 08/31/19 9:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Did she tell you that?

No, but that's my guess as to why she won't leave the Liberty now. Maybe in 2-3 years at the end of her career, she goes to chase a title.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 08/31/19 9:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tina Charles has never said publicly--or, presumably, to any of us on this board--that she won't leave New York.

But Liberty fans have offered detailed discussions of Tina Charles's family ties to New York and all the professional reasons (in terms of her filmmaking and other interests) why there's great value for her in staying here.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 08/31/19 9:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
Tina Charles has never said publicly--or, presumably, to any of us on this board--that she won't leave New York.

But Liberty fans have offered detailed discussions of Tina Charles's family ties to New York and all the professional reasons (in terms of her filmmaking and other interests) why there's great value for her in staying here.

Which is why my question started with the most important part: Does Tina want a ring?

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 08/31/19 9:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:

Which is why my question started with the most important part: Does Tina want a ring?

Of course Tina Charles wants a ring. But would she leave New York City in the hope of getting one? Many of us believe there's no way she would.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: