RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Tynice Martin charged with domestic battery.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 08/23/19 10:46 am    ::: Tynice Martin charged with domestic battery. Reply Reply with quote

http://wvmetronews.com/2019/08/23/west-virginia-guard-tynice-martin-charged-with-domestic-battery-cited-for-possession-in-separate-incident/

Martin was recently suspended from the west Virginia women's basketball team just to weeks ago prior to the team embarking on a trip to Europe.

In the attached article it claims that Martin and an accomplice assaulted one of the Martin's former girlfriends. Actions associated with the assault include choking, hair pulling, punching, and pushing the girl into a glass door.[/i]

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 08/23/19 11:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The article also says she was arrested last season for possession of a controlled substance and held out of one game for that.

It makes me sad to see young women who worked so hard to get to D-I basketball and then throw further opportunities away on stupid **** like this.

ClayK

PostPosted: 08/23/19 12:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
The article also says she was arrested last season for possession of a controlled substance and held out of one game for that.

It makes me sad to see young women who worked so hard to get to D-I basketball and then throw further opportunities away on stupid **** like this.

It makes me sad that they only held a troubled young woman out of one game after a drug bust.

PostPosted: 08/23/19 2:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This girl needs some *serious* help before she ends up in prison or worse.

PostPosted: 08/28/19 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
It may already be too late.

Just a few years ago I saw a girl in highs school with a top-level future in basketball throw it away via behavior issues. She will probably never even make it to a college team. There are more than likely much more cases that we do not even hear off just like this. Once a persons life starts on a downward spiral it often takes a drastic event to turn things around. More often than not, that sort of drasic event usually will also ruin any chance they might have had.

PostPosted: 08/28/19 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:

Could one “worse” possibility be landing yourself a roster spot on the Sparks?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
summertime blues

PostPosted: 08/28/19 12:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
It may already be too late.

Just a few years ago I saw a girl in highs school with a top-level future in basketball throw it away via behavior issues. She will probably never even make it to a college team. There are more than likely much more cases that we do not even hear off just like this. Once a persons life starts on a downward spiral it often takes a drastic event to turn things around. More often than not, that sort of drasic event usually will also ruin any chance they might have had.

At the risk of getting a lot of flak from the anti-Chamique folks, I will just point out that Chamique Holdsclaw has completely turned her life around since she was properly diagnosed and placed on the correct medication for her bipolar disorder, and has become a powerful force speaking out on college campuses and working with sports teams on mental health issues. She was a VA Tech and UVA fairly recently, and I'm hoping for a visit to JMU one of these days.

PostPosted: 08/28/19 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought of Chamique when I heard Liz Cambage recently urge that a mental health professional be available to each team. Who knows if that would have helped Chamique much earlier.

However, I'm not certain that all of these cases we're hearing about have anything to do with mental illness rather than just stupidity and bad behavior.

ClayK

PostPosted: 08/28/19 3:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At a certain level, anyone who behaves this way has "mental problems" -- just as any mass murderer, by definition, is mentally ill.

PostPosted: 11/08/19 9:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Updates on this story

Martin pleads no contest to battery charge.
https://www.whsv.com/content/news/WVUs-Tynice-Martin-pleads-no-contest-to-battery-charge-564608821.html

Subsequently back on the team

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28030959/wvu-tynice-martin-reinstated-no-contest-plea-battery-charge%3fplatform=amp

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 11/08/19 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Am I the only one who thinks reinstatement to the team is not appropriate, especially after a previous drug-related arrest? Furthermore, I'm surprised she's still in school. All of the schools I attended would have kicked her out by now.

ClayK

PostPosted: 11/08/19 12:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Am I the only one who thinks reinstatement to the team is not appropriate, especially after a previous drug-related arrest? Furthermore, I'm surprised she's still in school. All of the schools I attended would have kicked her out by now.

I'm with you. What would the punishment have been for a male who did the same thing to a woman?

PostPosted: 11/08/19 5:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The opening statement of Mike Carey's bio on the WV site:
Quote:
With a penchant for setting new standards and taking Mountaineer women’s basketball to heights previously not thought of, Mike Carey enters his 19th season as head coach of the West Virginia University women’s basketball team.

Carey's gutless move allows every player on that team at least one assault charge and maybe, even more.

Hoopsmom

PostPosted: 11/08/19 5:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

I'm with you. What would the punishment have been for a male who did the same thing to a woman?

There would definitely be a different result if it had been a male player. Even a rumor of a sexual or physical assault gets male players benched or cut from their teams. Even when it is the girl harassing the player, texting him repeatedly after the so-called assault to find out what bar he’s going to be partying out the next weekend....

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 11/08/19 7:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She got 50 hours of community service and one year of probation, plus being ordered to have no contact with the victim.

And how did she get named to the Naismith watch list while she was still suspended indefinitely and hadn't even been reinstated to the team?

Last edited by FrozenLVFan on 11/09/19 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 11/09/19 10:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There are still a lot of players both male and female on other teams that pull this crap and don't get removed. In the relatively small world of women's college basketball, Martin attracts quite a bit of attention. I think it is OK for a university send a message that this will not be tolerated and I think West Virginia missed the opportunity to do that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: