RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The 1619 Project

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Howee

PostPosted: 08/22/19 9:53 pm    ::: The 1619 Project Reply Reply with quote

This article points to an amazing project of monumental importance. It has taught me so much; it makes me sad for how ignorantly I taught American history in my career, and how sorely overdue this reckoning is for our society.
Quote:
For the project’s lead reporter, Nikole Hannah-Jones, it underscores the black condition in America. “We are the constant reminder of … the lie at our origins that, while Thomas Jefferson was writing the Declaration of Independence, his enslaved brother-in-law was there to serve him and make sure that he’s comfortable,” she said in an interview with PBS. “If you believe that 1776 matters,” she added, “if you believe that our Constitution still matters, then you also have to understand that the legacy of slavery still matters and you can’t pick and choose what parts of history we think are important and which ones aren’t.”

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/the-1619-project-details-the-legacy-of-slavery-in-america

PostPosted: 08/23/19 3:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i was just texting the other day on one of my whatsapp groups abut the nyt's fantastic treatise on u.s. slavery. it started a while back and continues today. if ever there was a time to read the new york times, to plunk down money for a subscription, to applaud and support its efforts, this is it. the other day i read "A Brief History of Slavery That You Didn’t Learn in School." but it's not so brief.

the reader comments are as rich and insightful as the text and images.

from wikipedia:
The 1619 Project is an event organized by The New York Times whose aim is to examine the legacy of slavery in the United States, timed for the 400th anniversary of the arrival in America of the first enslaved people from West Africa. It is an interactive project by Nikole Hannah-Jones, a reporter for the New York Times, with contributions by the paper's writers, poems, short fiction, and a photo essay.[1] Originally conceived of as a special issue for August 20, it was soon turned into a full-fledged project, including coverage in the paper and on the website.

the nyt has gone far beyond the call, in the same way it has done reviewing notable people - many women and people of color - who died without published notice and making amends.

i'm on a fixed income, but i'll make every effort to support at least one solid news source in the age of trump, when truth, justice and the american way has taken on meaning in the real world. the media outlets that dig way beneath the surface can't do it for free. as always, i urge everyone to do the same and support your largely objective, ethically guided news source of choice.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: