RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Jay-Z sold fire in Hell, and sold Colin Kaepernick out

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Genero36

PostPosted: 08/16/19 12:44 pm    ::: Jay-Z sold fire in Hell, and sold Colin Kaepernick out Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Straddling sincere and cynical, Carter defended his partnership with the league that permanently ended Kaep’s career during his press event. “We are past kneeling,” Carter said, visibly annoyed anyone would “get stuck on Colin not having a job” and miss the potential of setting up shop in the lion’s den.

And why not? Why not sell anti-racism to a business built atop a white fanbase wary of allowing their children to play the brutal sport while cheering on black and brown bodies engaged in the destruction they fear for their own? Why not sell fire in Hell?

Shawn Carter is worth nearly a billion dollars. I paid $30 more than the minimum on my credit card this month. Carter and I have different perspectives. We’re in the same skin, but we’re not in the same world. To him, there are few problems not solved by throwing money at them and the NFL’s dollars spend the same as anyone else’s. It doesn’t work like that for everyone, even when they share the same hue. Kaepernick’s settlement money has not spared him the indignity of being frozen out of his chosen profession.

Quote:
And yet, Hov’s sales pitch wouldn’t work if it weren’t attractive. On the “In My Lifetime” remix, released in 1997, Hov drops a timeless and timely verse making it plain: “I’m tryna make all of my dreams materialize, so I sorta / Say my goodbyes to the straight and narrow / I found a new route, you 'bout to see my life change / I make the means justify the ends.”

Jay made good on the promise. But the means cannot justify the end — they are the end. Kaepernick sparked his conversation, and I walked away from the worst cab ride ever, but the indignities inflicted on both of us are just as much the point. Someone should protest that.

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/ny-jay-z-colin-kaepernick-nfl-partnership-20190815-whamqqt5wfagzl3e5rnw3md4cq-story.html?fbclid=IwAR0Z9aA3oD6wwbgMVl1WNVnoM0jmVjNrgs0whYVxIfxFuLBfVW5GGWtbTmQ

PostPosted: 08/19/19 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kaepernick already sold out back in February when he took $90 million from the NFL to go away. So no need to worry about him.

Genero36

PostPosted: 08/19/19 11:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<embed><iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KtEOSPHVzeI" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtEOSPHVzeI

PostPosted: 08/19/19 11:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jay-Z Isn’t a Sellout, He’s a Capitalist
He’s a billionaire who wants to be an NFL team owner, and erasing Colin Kaepernick is the price of admission.

Quote:
The truth is actually much more banal. None of this is about social justice. It’s not about, as Shawn Carter put it, “helping millions and millions of people.” This partnership is happening because Shawn Carter is a billionaire who wants to be an NFL owner, and erasing Colin Kaepernick is the price of admission. Now Shawn Carter gets to multiply his fortune, and the NFL believes they will no longer be branded as racist, or have to schedule skim-milk Super Bowl halftime shows headlined by Maroon 5.

Jay-Z is a boss. Colin Kaepernick and Eric Reid are workers. It is the interest of workers in the NFL to unite and say that blackballing people for their political beliefs is never going to be OK. It is in the interest of workers to stand up for their colleague. It is in Shawn Carter’s interest to stand up for himself. It’s not “millions and millions” who are going to be helped. It’s one person. It’s Jay-Z’s ultimate hustle—a hustle he told us, over 20 years ago, we were never to knock.

https://www.thenation.com/article/jay-z-kaepernick-nfl/

PostPosted: 08/19/19 1:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TIL: Settling an employment lawsuit in which you were demanding lost wages is considered "selling out" when you achieve your goal of recouping those wages.

PostPosted: 08/19/19 1:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PostPosted: 08/20/19 8:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<embed><iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1GTfbit4lcA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

https://youtu.be/1GTfbit4lcA

PostPosted: 08/20/19 10:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don’t understand this mentality.

The NFL isn’t going anywhere. It’s the most popular league in the country despite the controversies that should kill it.

You know what stops a situation like Kaep’s From happening again? More black OWNERS.

I wish we wouldn’t call black people becoming powerful and successful “selling out.” How else are we going to get more than white men in power?

PostPosted: 08/20/19 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
I don’t understand this mentality.

The NFL isn’t going anywhere. It’s the most popular league in the country despite the controversies that should kill it.

You know what stops a situation like Kaep’s From happening again? More black OWNERS.

I wish we wouldn’t call black people becoming powerful and successful “selling out.” How else are we going to get more than white men in power?

That problem with Jay Z is he's a snake who is actually stepping on the back of the less advantaged to make a profit. That's what he's always been about. He's not about bettering minorities.

1. This "doing it for us" is a PR spin to ease the backlash.

2. He’s been chasing ownership for years so it’s not a surprise.

3. The NFL is not like the NBA. Teams are passed down and inherited and teams are own by fewer owners who are worth billions not A billion. Nets/Barclays all over again. I'm not falling for the same shit. They heard the backlash and now they are going to play this like they actually care about diversity in NFL ownership. They barely want to give Black Head Coach jobs out...now they care?

4. A minor owner can not up and hire a player.

I’m disappointed in people telling us to give him the benefit of the doubt but guess what? We did with his Nets deal, Barneys deal and Tidal deal.

With the Nets, he said his partnership would bring jobs to the community for his people. What did it actually end up doing? Pushing his people out and promoting gentrification and now that whole area is unrecognizable. The same people he sold the dream of jobs can’t even afford to live there.

When Barney’s was accused of racial profiling, he continued with his deal and said he was going to use his deal to create a task force to address racial profiling within stores and bring awareness to the overall problem socially. I have yet to see ONE conference of this task force. I saw no social media campaign and more than ever our people have been racially profiled while shopping, walking or having a simple bbq in a public park.

He called on everyone to support Tidal because it was black-owned, only to find out the shareholders he brought into the deal are all white, as is the majority of it’s staff. Then, he partners with a white owned company, Sprint, to buy into the company. Notice a trend? There are plenty of black business he can partner with.

He does not promote black wealth! He promotes his wealth as a black man.

PostPosted: 08/20/19 3:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:

He called on everyone to support Tidal because it was black-owned, only to find out the shareholders he brought into the deal are all white, as is the majority of it’s staff. Then, he partners with a white owned company, Sprint, to buy into the company. Notice a trend? There are plenty of black business he can partner with.

He does not promote black wealth! He promotes his wealth as a black man.

Serious question... Why on Earth would anyone get into business to promote wealth exclusively for a single race? Who has ever done such a thing? Not Jay-Z, not Al Sharpton, not anyone.

When I do what I do to make money, I'm doing it for myself and my family. Not for the wealth of White, Black, Asian or any other individual race. So does literally everyone else, whether that's Colon Kaepernick, who sold out for a settlement (in spite of the fact he quit his job and refused other offers to play in the NFL), or Jay-Z, who is a capitalist in its purest form, or whoever else people think are out fighting for a cause.

Jay-Z is not out in these streets to lose money. He has a family too.

Genero36

PostPosted: 08/20/19 6:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stonington_QB wrote:
Serious question... Why on Earth would anyone get into business to promote wealth exclusively for a single race? Who has ever done such a thing?

For the same reason there's affirmative action.

PostPosted: 05/18/20 8:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Latest NFL Minority Hiring Proposal Proof That Jay-Z Was Bamboozled

Quote:
At this point, the only person who should be more embarrassed than NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell is Jay-Z.

How could Jay-Z have joined an organization that’s supposed to advance social and racial justice, yet, the NFL doesn’t even practice it behind its own walls.

Quote:
The NFL’s latest proposal — to incentivize minority head coach and general manager hires — is Exhibit A. The league is thinking about giving teams better draft positions if they hire minorities. Think of it as getting a coupon or free cookies as an incentive to do something you really don’t want to do.

Who’s advising these billionaires if it’s not Jay-Z?

It’s insulting.

It’s embarrassing.

Somehow, NFL executives think it’s fair to put capable black coaches in the unenviable position of appearing as though they’re not actually qualified, but have their jobs just because of the improved pick.

Quote:
And for all the Jay-Z minions who will come to his defense and say you can’t make change if you’re not sitting at the table, just stop it. That was the war cry when many black people pushed back on Jay-Z for taking the NFL’s money despite the league’s history of treating black players horribly after their playing days were over.

The Jay-Z crowd should now ask themselves how can you supposedly be sitting “at the table” and the NFL continue to belittle and demean the same people who have made the league so popular and rich?

Quote:
If you thought the original Rooney Rule was a disgrace, the NFL’s latest proposal to change it is worse. We might as well call it the Looney Rule. It’s crazy to think that despite playing football at such a high level, making up roughly 70 percent of the players in the league, that owners would have to be enticed to want black people in their organizations.

Quote:
The NFL received millions to be patriotic before games with giant flags and flyovers, until it was revealed by members of congress that the military paid for such patriotic displays. Shamed, the NFL returned more than $700,000. But the NFL can’t make money on the black man’s plight off the field. That’s why they aren’t interested.

Jay-Z was supposedly brought in to have a major role in the NFL’s “Inspire Change” initiative. The NFL’s latest proposal is proof that it’s business as usual — even with Jay-Z at the table.

https://deadspin.com/latest-nfl-minority-hiring-proposal-proof-that-jay-z-wa-1843507826?utm_campaign=Deadspin&utm_content=1589803848&utm_medium=SocialMarketing&utm_source=facebook,twitter

Beyonce’s snake ass husband wasn’t hoodwinked. That sell-out knew exactly what he was doing...aligning his pockets off the backs of our oppression.

And I’m still waiting on those actionable items.

PostPosted: 06/02/20 3:43 pm    ::: Re: Jay-Z sold fire in Hell, and sold Colin Kaepernick out Reply Reply with quote

<embed><iframe width="577" height="325" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/axhh-Jy6_Uo" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

https://youtu.be/axhh-Jy6_Uo

PostPosted: 06/03/20 11:02 am    ::: Re: Jay-Z sold fire in Hell, and sold Colin Kaepernick out Reply Reply with quote

Broncos coach Vic Fangio says racism, discrimination aren't prevalent in NFL

Quote:
"I think our problems in the NFL along those lines are minimal. We're a league of meritocracy. You earn what you get, you get what you earn. I don't see racism at all in the NFL, I don't see discrimination in the NFL," Fangio told reporters Tuesday when asked about his experiences in the league over the past four decades. "We all live together, joined as one, for one common goal, and we all intermingle and mix tremendously. If society reflected an NFL team, we'd all be great."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29257597/broncos-coach-vic-fangio-says-racism-discrimination-prevalent-nfl

PostPosted: 06/14/20 11:53 am    ::: Re: Jay-Z sold fire in Hell, and sold Colin Kaepernick out Reply Reply with quote

PostPosted: 06/14/20 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: