RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Wings @ Mercury - 8/10/19
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 08/11/19 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Griner doesn’t like getting jerked by the arm. Barncastle flung Griner by the arm when she was at Baylor, and she ended up punching Barncastle in the face. This looked similar.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
PUmatty

PostPosted: 08/11/19 12:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Griner doesn’t like getting jerked by the arm. Barncastle flung Griner by the arm when she was at Baylor, and she ended up punching Barncastle in the face. This looked similar.

You'd think Griner would have grown up a little bit since then.

And of course Taurasi had to get involved in the nonsense. She never can help herself. Ridiculous.

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 08/11/19 12:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Shades wrote:

And of course Taurasi had to get involved in the nonsense. She never can help herself. Ridiculous.

Initially I thought she was just trying to keep the peace, but upon replay I saw her shoving Arike Confused

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 08/11/19 12:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Anigwe running away was not a good look, however. At least pretend like you want to back up your words/actions and hope someone "holds you back".

Clay Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

She lost major street cred for that Wink Wink Wink

toad455

PostPosted: 08/11/19 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LOL at the rookie thinking she can battle/fight Griner.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
toad455

PostPosted: 08/11/19 12:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nice article by Swish Appeal

https://www.swishappeal.com/platform/amp/2019/8/11/20800858/wnba-brittney-griner-fight-ejections-phoenix-mercury-dallas-wings?utm_campaign=tamrynspruill&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
bballgrl

PostPosted: 08/11/19 2:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I enjoyed seeing Fluffy trying to stop Griner from going after Anigwe.

Yea Bless her heart. She is small but strong and I thought she was great to jump in there.

pilight

PostPosted: 08/11/19 2:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PostPosted: 08/11/19 2:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
sportsfan48 wrote:
Some of those ejections were for leaving the bench. I have never seen BG like that. She may have time time to think about our next game too. Nothing should cause you to react the way she did. You have to be smarter than that.

Maybe she was triggered by Glory Johnson being in the house. Wink

This not the 1st time Glory has been in the house so that has nothing to do with it.

bballgrl

PostPosted: 08/11/19 2:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
Did anyone notice that when discussing the Shock/Sparks brawl, AMD listed the entire cast of characters, except for the main two instigators: Parker and PP Laughing Laughing Shocked Shocked

Yes I noticed! She did not mention Parker or PP.

bballgrl

PostPosted: 08/11/19 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Shades wrote:

Initially I thought she was just trying to keep the peace, but upon replay I saw her shoving Arike Confused

Actually Arike had no business up in the mix. She was right behind Griner and DT had to keep her away. Arike should have been on the other side of BT and with her team.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 08/11/19 5:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballgrl wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Shades wrote:

Actually Arike had no business up in the mix. She was right behind Griner and DT had to keep her away. Arike should have been on the other side of BT and with her team.

Arike was not near Griner. Look again. You must be confusing her with someone else (Thornton was much closer). DT pushed 2 Wings players, the second being Arike. Neither were near Griner.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 08/11/19 5:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Anigwe running away was not a good look, however. At least pretend like you want to back up your words/actions and hope someone "holds you back".

Clay Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

She lost major street cred for that Wink Wink
Wink

She didn't want any of that Smoke!

Last edited by Rock Hard on 08/11/19 10:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
sportsfan48

PostPosted: 08/11/19 9:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballgrl wrote:
myrtle wrote:
I enjoyed seeing Fluffy trying to stop Griner from going after Anigwe.

Yea Bless her heart. She is small but strong and I thought she was great to jump in there.

She had the ball and never let go. I loved that too.

Thornton and Arika both came up to BG when she was being held back by the official. Thornton got the worst of it from BG. She hit Agler and had to be manhandled back to her bench. Thornton had a chip on her shoulder the whole game.

A very unfortunate situation overall.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 08/11/19 9:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I know Griner and Anigwe are both responsible and I in no way condone BG's response. However, Anigwe pulled her arm back in a way that could have caused significant injury. It was different from the normal give and take in the post. I totally understand why BG got angry there.

PostPosted: 08/11/19 10:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
I know Griner and Anigwe are both responsible and I in no way condone BG's response. However, Anigwe pulled her arm back in a way that could have caused significant injury. It was different from the normal give and take in the post. I totally understand why BG got angry there.

+1.

PostPosted: 08/11/19 11:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Shades wrote:

You'd think Griner would have grown up a little bit since then.

Barncastle was also known to make racist remarks...and I think even questioned Griner's sex. There was a lot more provocation than a jerk on the arm.

- Amanda Gorman
Skyfan22

PostPosted: 08/12/19 12:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Watching the replay of that possession, BG gave a good pop to Anigwe when she first posted, then again higher in the back, and then eventually it appeared she was using her forearm at the head and neck of Anigwe. That’s really the only possession I watched of the game as of yet. That contact seems absolutely like a foul and even like contact well outside the the normal course of play. Why did the refs not have this under control?

PicknLOL

PostPosted: 08/12/19 4:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So this is the game I opted not to watch, because I assumed it wouldn't be an interesting match-up?

I love Leilani Mitchell. First 23 points in the game, then running with urgency and the ball to contain Griner, and then she was the only one who had any success at that. Who wouldn't want to have her on their team? I've been meaning to watch the Mercury more just because of her, after she single-handedly brought it into single-digits with Mystics in the final quarter two week ago.

Securing your only road win by taunting Brittney Griner in the critical minutes of the game? What?

I'm not sure how Dallas feel about the Anigwe-Plaisance trade now.

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 08/12/19 10:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PicknLOL wrote:
So this is the game I opted not to watch, because I assumed it wouldn't be an interesting match-up?

I love Leilani Mitchell. First 23 points in the game, then running with urgency and the ball to contain Griner, and then she was the only one who had any success at that. Who wouldn't want to have her on their team? I've been meaning to watch the Mercury more just because of her, after she single-handedly brought it into single-digits with Mystics in the final quarter two week ago.

Securing your only road win by taunting Brittney Griner in the critical minutes of the game? What?

I'm not sure how Dallas feel about the Anigwe-Plaisance trade now.

Truth be told, if this is what it takes to create a spark for my team to get excited and start playing like that have an ounce of pride, I'm ok with it because I feel it will not be the norm going forward!

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 08/12/19 12:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Griner was getting abused. This clip even shows the blatant push by Kaela Davis that happened before the Anigwe incident. Just because Griner is big is no excuse to give her extra abuse.

Anigwe clearly jerks Griner by the arm with force. There was no accidental tangle-up as AMD characterized it.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Ez8Xjn4wyL8" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thank you for sharing the video, Shades. It really does provide perspective on Griner's reaction (as well as the physical play Griner endures), as opposed to some WBB fans dismissing Griner based on the Jordan Barncastle incident from years ago.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/12/19 2:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Skyfan22 wrote:
Watching the replay of that possession, BG gave a good pop to Anigwe when she first posted, then again higher in the back, and then eventually it appeared she was using her forearm at the head and neck of Anigwe. That’s really the only possession I watched of the game as of yet. That contact seems absolutely like a foul and even like contact well outside the the normal course of play. Why did the refs not have this under control?

This is what lead up to the resulting actions. This is exactly what I saw as well. BG elbowed anigwe in the ribs at least 3 separate times on that play. Although that does not warrant neither actions afterward.

PostPosted: 08/12/19 2:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Shades wrote:

That wasn't the only player on Dallas she pushed, started with Davis then went on to pushed Imani who her back towards DT holding back Thornton. Smh you would think her being the vet on the team she would act better.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 08/12/19 3:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

+1.

Yeah i dont like that type of play either. Its dangerous. For example: Kevin Love got his shoulder injury in a similar way.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
pilight

PostPosted: 08/12/19 5:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Brittney Griner: WNBA response to brawl could impact her future in league

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/wnba/mercury/2019/08/12/brittney-griner-wnba-response-brawl-could-impact-her-future-league/1990765001/

Quote:
"How they handle this will determine a lot about the future," said Griner, in the final year of her Mercury contract. "Because how can I fight for some league that doesn't even to protect their players?

"They better hope our coaches and GM (Jim Pitman) don't go anywhere and DB (DeWanna Bonner) plays here forever. Because I'll be done in a heartbeat if I was anywhere else."

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: