RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Wings @ Mercury - 8/10/19
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bballgrl

PostPosted: 08/10/19 11:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sportsfan48 wrote:
Some of those ejections were for leaving the bench. I have never seen BG like that. She may have time time to think about our next game too. Nothing should cause you to react the way she did. You have to be smarter than that.

I would be willing to bet that Anigwe said something to her and it caused her to fly off the handle. BG has been bumbed and pushed etc but has not responded in that way. She and K Davis were not going at it like that. I don't know if she will be suspended as she didn't hit anyone.

lynxmania

PostPosted: 08/10/19 11:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballgrl wrote:
sportsfan48 wrote:
Some of those ejections were for leaving the bench. I have never seen BG like that. She may have time time to think about our next game too. Nothing should cause you to react the way she did. You have to be smarter than that.

I would be willing to bet that Anigwe said something to her and it caused her to fly off the handle. BG has been bumbed and pushed etc but has not responded in that way. She and K Davis were not going at it like that. I don't know if she will be suspended as she didn't hit anyone.

She swung. She is getting suspended.

But also it's the WNBA... so I guess who knows Laughing

Huskie

PostPosted: 08/10/19 11:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballgrl wrote:
sportsfan48 wrote:

I think it was Anigwe that was backpedaling to her bench jawing at Griner the whole way which escalated a bad situation. That’s when Griner really seemed to lose it and ran down the sideline after her, until intercepted and bear hugged by the official.

PostPosted: 08/10/19 11:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Huskie wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
When a review for the most obvious shot clock violation ever takes 10 replays, this one could be going for half an hour

Iluvacc wrote:
What happened?

I saw Anigwe pull BG by the arm, but I'm guessing that there was also some accidental contact to the face that set her off

That’s what we saw. A gentleman that sits courtside must have gotten some good video on his phone that the Phoenix coaches seemed very interested in.

If you watch the replay, he doesn't even have his phone out during the play. Probably hopped on League Pass real quick to watch the replayl

justintyme

PostPosted: 08/10/19 11:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Taurasi has quite an amazing record of techs and ejections this season for someone who has played a total of 16 minutes in 1 game

Griner, January, Thornton, Anigwe & Davis also ejected

Lol. I was just noting that on Twitter. I wonder what the record is for techs/ejections versus minutes played.

PostPosted: 08/11/19 12:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
Taurasi has quite an amazing record of techs and ejections this season for someone who has played a total of 16 minutes in 1 game

Lol. I was just noting that on Twitter. I wonder what the record is for techs/ejections versus minutes played.

By the time she comes back, she’s gonna have like..two techs available to her before she reaches the Limit. (If we’re lucky) Laughing

PostPosted: 08/11/19 12:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:
Huskie wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
When a review for the most obvious shot clock violation ever takes 10 replays, this one could be going for half an hour

Iluvacc wrote:
What happened?

I saw Anigwe pull BG by the arm, but I'm guessing that there was also some accidental contact to the face that set her off

That’s what we saw. A gentleman that sits courtside must have gotten some good video on his phone that the Phoenix coaches seemed very interested in.

If you watch the replay, he doesn't even have his phone out during the play. Probably hopped on League Pass real quick to watch the replayl

Yep, after watching the replay of that sequence, you're right. Probably just showing them the live access replay.

PostPosted: 08/11/19 12:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does an ejection count as a double-tech?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
justintyme

PostPosted: 08/11/19 12:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Does an ejection count as a double-tech?

Pretty sure it's just one. And then just an auto-ejection.

And the leaving the bench is not a tech, it's just ejection plus suspension.

PostPosted: 08/11/19 12:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
justintyme wrote:
Luuuc wrote:

By the time she comes back, she’s gonna have like..two techs available to her before she reaches the Limit. (If we’re lucky) Laughing

inb4 she reaches the limit without playing this year and has to sit out the opener next year Laughing

Shades

PostPosted: 08/11/19 1:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.espn.com/wnba/recap?gameId=401105052

Quote:
After about a 10-minute review, the officials ejected Griner, Diana Taurasi and Briann January from Phoenix. Taurasi was inactive for the game, but was tossed for leaving the bench area. Anigwe, Kayla Thornton and Kaela Davis were ejected for Dallas.

"Today I went on the court to make sure my teammate didn't get jumped," Taurasi said. "She got punched in the face and then someone ran on her back and threw punches at her face. I would do that 100 times out of 100 times."

Griner didn't comment after the game.

Phoenix was leading 71-68 at that point.

"Unfortunate about the fight," Wings coach Brian Agler said. "Didn't help either team, but you know those things are going to happen."

herna220

PostPosted: 08/11/19 1:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Huskie wrote:
lynxmania wrote:
Huskie wrote:
Luuuc wrote:

Iluvacc wrote:
What happened?

Yep, after watching the replay of that sequence, you're right. Probably just showing them the live access replay.

or funny cat videos....always time for funny cat videos....but most likely League Pass although I'd wonder how he was not blacked out of the local market?

Stormeo

PostPosted: 08/11/19 1:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm just glad no one got injured as a result of the fight á la Cheryl Ford's ACL tear in the infamous Sparks-Shock brawl.

If this can create a long-term rivalry between the Merc and Wings, I don't mind it at all.

Man though... a dunk; a fight where the instigator literally ended up running from her target (you can actually see the moment Anigwe immediately regrets trying it with Griner Laughing ); on-the-court player ejections; bench ejections feat. an inactive superstar; a fan seemingly helping the home team coaches via video production; late-game drama; and ultimately, an upset to snap an 18-game road losing streak... this game really had it all. But: no injuries Very Happy

Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/11/19 1:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
justintyme wrote:
Luuuc wrote:

She's also going to have been suspended for at least as many games as she's appeared in.

PostPosted: 08/11/19 1:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This Griner vs Anigwe reminds me of the infamously funny Shaq vs Barkley fight... but Griner's punch was even worse Razz

Not even close! Hit nothing but air! Twisted Evil

P.S. Go Bears
Laughing

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 08/11/19 7:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wouldn't you know it? This is getting more mainstream media attention than anything about the WNBA since Candice Wiggins' hissy-fit. Embarassed

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/other-sports/wnba/2019/08/11/wings-get-first-road-win-brawl-breaks-involving-ex-baylor-star-brittney-griner-kristine-anigwe

toad455

PostPosted: 08/11/19 7:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm seeing a multiple game suspension for Griner. Anigwe will be suspended, too. Will anyone else that got ejected get suspended? This will really leave the Mercury shorthanded if January is also suspended. Any teams about to face the Mercury will have it easy inside without Griner.

PG: Mitchell/Carter
SG: YTurner
SF: Cunningham
PF: Bonner/Taylor
C: BTurner/Little
SUSPENDED: Griner, January (?), Taurasi (?)
IR: ASmith, Lyttle, Carson

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
miller40

PostPosted: 08/11/19 7:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Man though... a dunk; a fight where the instigator literally ended up running from her target (you can actually see the moment Anigwe immediately regrets trying it with Griner Laughing ); on-the-court player ejections; bench ejections feat. an inactive superstar; a fan seemingly helping the home team coaches via video production; late-game drama; and ultimately, an upset to snap an 18-game road losing streak... this game really had it all. But: no injuries Very Happy

A fan was on the court during the fight too. Short woman with braids up, a yellow and black print shirt, and jeans.

hangtyme24

PostPosted: 08/11/19 8:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miller40 wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

A fan was on the court during the fight too. Short woman with braids up, a yellow and black print shirt, and jeans.

I think that was Griner's fiancee.

PostPosted: 08/11/19 9:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hangtyme24 wrote:
miller40 wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

I think that was Griner's fiancee.

It was. A number of fans on a Mercury fans FB page were commenting on the appropriateness of her running on the court.

PostPosted: 08/11/19 9:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So, when calling foul after foul after foul doesn’t stop the shenanigans on the court, Seriously, what other actions can the refs take to stop this type of nonsense? Yes, there will always be contact in basketball. But, I personally would like to see less holding, hooking, pushing etc and more cutting, dishing and running plays. Seems it is a tactic of some head coaches to target the key player of the opposing team, deliberately harass and get inside her head all for the purpose of getting her out of the game. Yea, not good for the game or the league. Rant over. But would like to hear thoughts.

PostPosted: 08/11/19 11:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Huskie wrote:
So, when calling foul after foul after foul doesn’t stop the shenanigans on the court, Seriously, what other actions can the refs take to stop this type of nonsense? Yes, there will always be contact in basketball. But, I personally would like to see less holding, hooking, pushing etc and more cutting, dishing and running plays. Seems it is a tactic of some head coaches to target the key player of the opposing team, deliberately harass and get inside her head all for the purpose of getting her out of the game. Yea, not good for the game or the league. Rant over. But would like to hear thoughts.

Griner is one of the worst ones in terms of hooking, IMO.

ETA, thanks everyone for IDing the woman who made it on court.

Shades

PostPosted: 08/11/19 11:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Griner was getting abused. This clip even shows the blatant push by Kaela Davis that happened before the Anigwe incident. Just because Griner is big is no excuse to give her extra abuse.

Anigwe clearly jerks Griner by the arm with force. There was no accidental tangle-up as AMD characterized it.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Ez8Xjn4wyL8" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 08/11/19 11:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Did anyone notice that when discussing the Shock/Sparks brawl, AMD listed the entire cast of characters, except for the main two instigators: Parker and PP Laughing Laughing Shocked Shocked

ClayK

PostPosted: 08/11/19 11:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Very odd ... the contact didn't seem like that much with Anigwe (though Davis was clearly inflammatory). Anigwe must have added a comment that set BG off ...

Anigwe running away was not a good look, however. At least pretend like you want to back up your words/actions and hope someone "holds you back".

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: