Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Libra_Girl

PostPosted: 08/15/19 8:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
I know Griner and Anigwe are both responsible and I in no way condone BG's response. However, Anigwe pulled her arm back in a way that could have caused significant injury. It was different from the normal give and take in the post. I totally understand why BG got angry there.

+1.

Yeah i dont like that type of play either. Its dangerous. For example: Kevin Love got his shoulder injury in a similar way.

I'll never forget Doris Burke advocating on the air that Sylvia do this to Candace's injured shoulder in the NCAAs.
WTF
Its bad enough to do this any player but one thats already injured you gotta be mess up to say that.

Skyfan22

PostPosted: 08/15/19 10:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
Or they blamed her for, y'know, taking multiple wild swings at opposing players, chasing an opposing player half the length of the court looking to beat the shit out of her, and then continuing to swing while a referee was forced to essentially tackle her to hold her up.

From what I saw, Thornton ran over to get between them like a mass of other people, then got especially pissed off when some of Griner's swings made contact with her. And even if she did get unnecessarily involved, she'd have a hell of a lot more right to the "I was just trying to protect my teammate" defense that Taurasi has been clinging to.

I continue to be amazed by the amount of people I've seen defending Griner over this situation who barely seem to think she did anything wrong. What the hell would've happened if Billy Smith didn't manage to tackle her?

Yeah, if people are defending Griner for this, they are wrong. She was unequivocally wrong for what she did, no matter what led up to it. We can understand where she is coming from, but that doesn't excuse what she did.

Listening to Griner, it sounded more like she knew she was in the wrong and didn't have an issue with the length of suspension, just had an issue that Anigwe didn't get the same. And that I 100% agree with. A person instigates and then runs away (which means she threw the equivalent of sucker punch and then taunted by running away), shouldn't have gotten less. Since being chased down by the person you sucker punched is something a reasonable person would conceive as a foreseeable outcome to hitting someone then rabbiting, Anigwe shares blame in everything that came afterward.

BUT, Griner did instigate this whole thing. Watch the entire possession and she is the aggressor. Watch the rebound itself and she is playing VERY dirty. This is a basketball forum, therefore people should be I. The know of basketball. Rebounding is find, feel, boxout. Players do not feel by extending their arms to 90 degrees and aim for the head. They feel for the core. This is especially true of someone who averages 5” taller than the people she is trying to box out. Completely malicious on the part of Griner and going big baby mode and claiming victim makes the entire situation more foul.

Skyfan22

PostPosted: 08/15/19 11:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
There was absolutely nothing unusual happening in the post battle between Griner and Anigwe that excused Anigwe from jerking Griner’s arm hard and with possible injurious intent. They weren’t “tangled”. Anigwe grabbed Griner’s arm with both hands. Then she topped it off with a forceful slap down at Griner’s face. If you watch this gif from the beginning you might be able to see what apparently wasn’t obvious before.

Anigwe’s not capable of losing her temper and hurting somebody as a result? Then what’s happening here?

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Ybd_ubJuEao" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sure, Griner went over the edge. But she was pushed hard ovper that edge. In the real world, if somebody takes a swing at you, you have a right to swing back. Griner may have wanted to commit an assault, but she didn’t. Anigwe got away with one. People are really feeling sorry for Anigwe? Give me a fricken break.

Great 1.5 second clip to prove a point. Could just be Griner already had ahold of her there and she’s trying to break free. And if you watch the slo-mo that Shades posted earlier this new clip doesn’t show the elbow swinging by, and possibly contacting Anigwe’s face. That would be reason enough to swing at Griner’s arm.

justintyme

PostPosted: 08/15/19 11:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Skyfan22 wrote:
justintyme wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
Or they blamed her for, y'know, taking multiple wild swings at opposing players, chasing an opposing player half the length of the court looking to beat the shit out of her, and then continuing to swing while a referee was forced to essentially tackle her to hold her up.

From what I saw, Thornton ran over to get between them like a mass of other people, then got especially pissed off when some of Griner's swings made contact with her. And even if she did get unnecessarily involved, she'd have a hell of a lot more right to the "I was just trying to protect my teammate" defense that Taurasi has been clinging to.

I continue to be amazed by the amount of people I've seen defending Griner over this situation who barely seem to think she did anything wrong. What the hell would've happened if Billy Smith didn't manage to tackle her?

Yeah, if people are defending Griner for this, they are wrong. She was unequivocally wrong for what she did, no matter what led up to it. We can understand where she is coming from, but that doesn't excuse what she did.

Listening to Griner, it sounded more like she knew she was in the wrong and didn't have an issue with the length of suspension, just had an issue that Anigwe didn't get the same. And that I 100% agree with. A person instigates and then runs away (which means she threw the equivalent of sucker punch and then taunted by running away), shouldn't have gotten less. Since being chased down by the person you sucker punched is something a reasonable person would conceive as a foreseeable outcome to hitting someone then rabbiting, Anigwe shares blame in everything that came afterward.

BUT, Griner did instigate this whole thing. Watch the entire possession and she is the aggressor. Watch the rebound itself and she is playing VERY dirty. This is a basketball forum, therefore people should be I. The know of basketball. Rebounding is find, feel, boxout. Players do not feel by extending their arms to 90 degrees and aim for the head. They feel for the core. This is especially true of someone who averages 5” taller than the people she is trying to box out. Completely malicious on the part of Griner and going big baby mode and claiming victim makes the entire situation more foul.

Other than the fact that the league itself, which watched all of the video and all of the angles and considered all of the context determined that Anigwe was the instigator.

PostPosted: 08/21/19 1:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FqQfosCkeI8" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
5thmantheme

PostPosted: 08/21/19 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

very small aside ... the NBA season is about 2.5 times longer, so these "appropriate" suspensions have a much higher proportionate impact. 2 WNBA games ~= 5 for the NBA. Clearly the pocketbook fines are lower because a single game fine NBA $ amount, would wipe somebody out.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 08/21/19 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think there is a difference between saying “Griner did nothing wrong” and “Griner is completely at fault.”

Her reaction was ridiculous.

But, it’s important to note that her reaction was just that..a reaction. What is going on that made her react that way? Is it just that particular players play? Is it the way the game is being called?

Griner’s Behavior was a problem that needs addressing, but there appear to also be multiple other problems.

PostPosted: 08/21/19 5:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FqQfosCkeI8" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

thanks for posting this "not in the heat if the moment" interview.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: