All three
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
None of them
55%
 55%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 27

Stormeo

PostPosted: 07/28/19 1:27 am    ::: Lottery-Team Coaching Change Predictions Reply Reply with quote

This assumes the lottery teams don’t change. Currently in their 2nd years at their respective cities (Chatman at Indiana, Collen at Atlanta, Smith at New York), which of these coaches do you predict will get fired/resign at some point between now and the end of the year? I excluded Agler in Dallas since he’s only in his 1st year there.

root_thing

PostPosted: 07/28/19 10:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Unless something drastic happens, Collen won't get fired. She's coming off being COY, and she has a built-in excuse with McCoughtry injured. Pokey is clearly in a rebuilding situation, and her team has actually looked fairly competitive. They've lost a lot of close games. Unless the team regresses significantly, Pokey should be safe.

The one who is interesting is Smith. Her team is improved, but they've been blown-out a number of times. The Liberty can look epically inept -- like closing the 2nd Qtr against Chicago getting outscored 28-2. They went from a 6 point lead to a 20 point deficit in just 7:24. And of course, Katie will forever have that 17 game losing streak on her resume. Throw in a new owner and new GM, and Smith looks the most vulnerable. The question as always is who would you get to replace her? If there is no clear answer, then I think Smith survives as long as the team isn't a total embarrassment the rest of the way.

PostPosted: 07/28/19 10:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Brooklyn might want a clean slate when they come to the new arena.

You and Pinocchio are probably related
Full of criss-crossed fits, you lie all the time
Your tongue should be embarrassed, you're a threat to mankind
Stormeo

PostPosted: 07/28/19 11:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yep, I pretty much agree with Smith being the one that’s most at risk. Collen was last year’s COY and can use the injured-best-player excuse, so I highly doubt she doesn’t get another year. I don’t think Chatman’s completely safe but I personally think she should and will get another year. With New York’s ownership change this year, that particularly doesn’t help Smith’s case as even if New York has some more good moments the rest of the year, the front office could just decide to start totally fresh for next season anyway.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 07/28/19 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting thus far in this poll that most of those who voted think all three coaches are safe... Idk what I was expecting but it wasn’t that Laughing Has the W ever had it happen where all of the coaches were retained from one season to the next?

ClayK

PostPosted: 07/28/19 12:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pokey Chatman clearly owns the Cape of Invincibility, as she always lands on her feet. So I'm thinking she's safe.

If the Liberty play poorly down the stretch, Smith is gone -- and she may be gone if they play up to their potential.

PostPosted: 07/28/19 12:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo,

I really wish you would have added GM's to this discussion so I could have voted for Greg Bibb 15 times, if possible!!!

Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/28/19 12:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Depends what you mean by 'end of the year'. End of the calendar year? I think Smith's probably gone. End of the season, she may well still be there. Why pay someone else to play out the string when you're already paying her?

Indy have improved enough that I think Chatman sticks, and I'd actually put Collen at more risk than her right now. Yeah, everyone liked her last year, but Atlanta have been bad. The numbers say they're pretty comfortably the worst team in the league, and you can't put it all down to missing McCoughtry. I'd say she probably hangs on thanks to the goodwill from last season, but wouldn't put it far off 50/50.

PostPosted: 07/28/19 12:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Depends what you mean by 'end of the year'. End of the calendar year? I think Smith's probably gone. End of the season, she may well still be there.

Sorry, yeah, I did mean end of the calendar year. Sometimes it takes a month or two (or more) after the season finishes for franchises to make coaching decisions. I still remember that one year where Laimbeer’s contract wasn’t renewed in New York... but then they brought him back in that same offseason Laughing

PUmatty

PostPosted: 07/28/19 12:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can't imagine any reason that Pokey would keep her job, which means she probably will.

root_thing

PostPosted: 07/28/19 9:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think changing arenas is going to affect New York's coaching decision. Wherever you play, it's still about trying to win. At the end of the season, management will probably have a sense (very subjective) of whether the team is improving or not. A long losing streak to conclude the year would spell doom for Smith. More blowouts, especially with the owner in the stands, would also be very bad. On the other hand, if New York wins 14 games (double last year's total) or more and their losses are generally competitive, then Katie will probably survive.

But if she doesn't, where does NY go for a coach? The new GM is an analytics guy. Does that present any clues? The only coach I can think of on the women's side who embraces the whole shoot 3s and layups philosophy is Quentin Hillsman. No way the Liberty are getting him, and I'm not sure I'd want Q anyway. His Syracuse teams play that old Georgetown style of pressuring the ball in hopes of scoring off turnovers. When that doesn't work, their half-court offense is just chuck 3s like crazy. Anyway, he's not available. Are there any other known analytics-loving coaches out there?

So, what are the conventional options? Hiring someone's assistant who has no head coaching experience leaves you back where you started with Katie. It's simply a guessing game with a lot of wishful thinking. Among WNBA assistants, one person who does have HC experience is Gary Kloppenburg. To me, he looked decent at each stop. I thought Tulsa was moving in the right direction in 2013 when they let him go. Seattle played much better under Klopp after he replaced Boucek as interim HC in 2017. The Storm also performed well this season while Dan Hughes was out. Obviously, at 66 years old, Klopp isn't the sexiest choice (literally or figuratively). But he's one of these basketball lifers who probably knows everything there is to know about Xs and Os. He's not Mr. Personality, but the players seem to respond anyway.

Who else? Do people like Carol Ross? What's she doing these days anyway? I mentioned Stephanie White in an earlier post. She's a possibility should she get canned from Vanderbilt. Any former college coaches? White's predecessor, Melanie Balcomb? Connie Yori? Gail Goestenkors? Why does this feel like a Tennessee Vols thread from April?

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: