RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Fever @ Sky - 7/21/19
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 07/20/19 9:55 pm    ::: Fever @ Sky - 7/21/19 Reply Reply with quote

Chicago, IL - 6:00 PM ET
TV: NBA TV, The U Too, NBA TV Canada

League Pass:
https://leaguepass.wnba.com/

Game page:
https://www.wnba.com/game/20190721/INDCHI/

ESPN Gamecast:
http://www.espn.com/wnba/game?gameId=401105023

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Rock Hard

PostPosted: 07/21/19 7:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Let's go Sky! We are in this together!

PostPosted: 07/21/19 8:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Indeed we are!

I'm hoping for a win where we don't struggle against a team we shouldn't have to struggle against! Rolling Eyes

May all our passes and shots be good; may all our layups and free throws make it in the basket; may we rebound and score! Very Happy

PostPosted: 07/21/19 5:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dolson should do every halftime interview Laughing Laughing Laughing

toad455

PostPosted: 07/21/19 6:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

McCowan got 10 rebounds(4 O-boards) in 10 minutes. How soon before she gets a 20/20 game?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 07/21/19 6:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

27 points in a half. Laughing

PostPosted: 07/21/19 7:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dolson/Lavender getting 20 rebounds is a good look

Dolson- 19p/9r
Quigley- 19p
Sloot- 14a
Diamond 13p/7r/4a

Shades

PostPosted: 07/21/19 7:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

McCowan 11 pts, 16 reb (8 off), 1 blk, only 1 PF in 18:50

How can Pokey not have her starting with a line like that?🥴

I’m beginning to think pilight is paying Pokey in gum to prevent her from becoming ROY. 🤔

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
zune69

PostPosted: 07/21/19 7:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As I said after Chicago's loss to LV

zune69 wrote:

Chicago just played their toughest stretch of games (Con,Wash,Sea,LA,LV)......Chicago's next stretch of games are very favorable (Dal,Minn,NY,Dal,ATL,Ind, Conn,ATL,NY)... 6 out of 9 at home....A 6-3 record is very doable.

Chicago has won 5 out of 6

ChiSky54

PostPosted: 07/21/19 8:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We should not have had to work that hard to win that game! Evil or Very Mad I don't even want to see how many turnovers we had...

We lost momentum early when Wade swapped out folks. Indy couldn't buy a basket, but suddenly they not only caught up but took the lead..Argh!.

PostPosted: 07/21/19 10:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
Dolson should do every halftime interview :

Dolson should be mindful of calling someone out as a flopper when she is just a good of a flopper as the next one. Shame on her!

PUmatty

PostPosted: 07/21/19 11:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I want to see this Fever team focus on McCowen. Her ceiling appears to be very high. The team is going no where this year - I don't understand why they aren't maximizing her time and turning her loose so she can figure out the program game. It makes no sense to me.

Fire Pokey. Bring in a coach who can develop young talent.

ucbart

PostPosted: 07/22/19 7:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballgrl wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:

Dolson should be mindful of calling someone out as a flopper when she is just a good of a flopper as the next one. Shame on her!

HA! What? If you're going to say Dolson bitches about every foul that gets called on her, sure. But to call her a flopper? Nah. Achonwa was the biggest flopper in college and she's the biggest flopper in the W.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/22/19 8:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
bballgrl wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:

HA! What? If you're going to say Dolson bitches about every foul that gets called on her, sure. But to call her a flopper? Nah. Achonwa was the biggest flopper in college and she's the biggest flopper in the W.

They both have done their fair share id say both are floppers tbh .

PostPosted: 07/22/19 8:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
I want to see this Fever team focus on McCowen. Her ceiling appears to be very high. The team is going no where this year - I don't understand why they aren't maximizing her time and turning her loose so she can figure out the program game. It makes no sense to me.

Fire Pokey. Bring in a coach who can develop young talent.

I agree, McCowen is improving every time she steps on the court and it is very exciting!

I used to be on the “fire Pokey” bandwagon, but then I took a step back and realized recent new W hires included Fisher and I’m not so sure anymore. I wouldn’t mind seeing the assistants switched up, and getting someone with a track record of post development in there, but that might be dependent on a head coaching change too.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 07/22/19 9:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballgrl wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:

Game recognise game

PostPosted: 07/22/19 9:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
27 points in a half. Laughing

At the end of the day all that matters is the W. Cool

PostPosted: 07/22/19 11:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't get the disdain for floppers -- it's just smart basketball. If you can buy a call, you buy a call, and the more the better.

Sure, it's frustrating when the other team does it to you, but there's nothing stopping you from turning that around.

Flop away, Ms. Dolson (and everyone else), flop away -- you have nothing to lose but your balance.

PostPosted: 07/22/19 12:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
I don't get the disdain for floppers -- it's just smart basketball. If you can buy a call, you buy a call, and the more the better.

Sure, it's frustrating when the other team does it to you, but there's nothing stopping you from turning that around.

Flop away, Ms. Dolson (and everyone else), flop away -- you have nothing to lose but your balance.

Flopping is cheating. When is cheating OK, and at what point is it merely cheating? Or is our society at the point where all cheating is condoned as long as you get away with it? As a youth coach and referee, do you go around encouraging kids to cheat as much as possible?

A few years back, the NHL instituted penalties for diving/embellishment. The calls are difficult, and often the referee hedges his bets by penalizing the other player anyway for what is acknowledged to be possibly a phantom infraction. It's problematic. Nonetheless, at least the league is making a statement that cheating is not acceptable. In golf, the honor system is used when it comes to players maintaining their own scorecard. If for whatever reason someone turns in an incorrect card, they are disqualified. So, those are two examples of sports where cheating is not acceptable.

PostPosted: 07/22/19 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Flopping is cheating. When is cheating OK, and at what point is it merely cheating? Or is our society at the point where all cheating is condoned as long as you get away with it? As a youth coach and referee, do you go around encouraging kids to cheat as much as possible?

A few years back, the NHL instituted penalties for diving/embellishment. The calls are difficult, and often the referee hedges his bets by penalizing the other player anyway for what is acknowledged to be possibly a phantom infraction. It's problematic. Nonetheless, at least the league is making a statement that cheating is not acceptable. In golf, the honor system is used when it comes to players maintaining their own scorecard. If for whatever reason someone turns in an incorrect card, they are disqualified. So, those are two examples of sports where cheating is not acceptable.

I'm not pro-flopping, but I think your position (as stated) seems a bit naive. Players ALWAYS do little things that are technically illegal, but if they don't do them and everyone else is, then they are at a disadvantage. Take holding, for example. Or hooking. Or pushing off. The trick is not do it so much or so egregiously that it looks to the ref that it's imbalancing play. Would you call briefly holding someone on defense "cheating", or just something that you hope are hoping to get away with? If the former, then I dare to say that every single player in the league is a cheater.

Charges and flopping oftentimes coexist within a gray area rather than exhibiting a clear black and white dichotomy. There are flops that should never draw a charge (black), semi-flops where they player kind of runs you over but you lose your balance a little too easily thus exaggerating the contact (many shades of gray), and there are just plain charges (white).

Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/22/19 1:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, that's the problem with trying to punish flopping. Usually there's at least some contact, and the player just embellishes it. Or in the case of the Ogwumikes, usually someone moved their arm somewhere close-ish to their face, so flailing backwards is considered understandable. Someone like Briann January has made an art out of making sure the refs see any contact, and buying the call as often as possible.

I can understand the perspective that "it's cheating", but it's glaringly obvious that officials give you the call more often when you fall to the ground or look like you've been clattered rather than nudged. Where's the clear line in the grey area between illustrating the contact to get the call, and flopping to such an extent that you're a cheat?

PostPosted: 07/22/19 1:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
bballgrl wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:

Game recognise game

There is literally 0 way Dolson flops as much as Achonwa. NOBODY flops as much as she does. She's been doing that since she was a freshman at ND. I mean, ND coaches flopping.....

root_thing

PostPosted: 07/22/19 2:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

People underestimate the extent to which tradition, culture, and values affect behavior. If you create an environment where cheating is encouraged, it's going to happen more often and more egregiously. If you create a culture where it's discouraged, some people will still do it, but the transgressions will be limited and less likely to proliferate. I see more and more players flopping these days. If everyone decides it's okay, then they might as well have flopping drills at team practices.

And why bother with enforcing any ban on performance-enhancing drugs? After all, it's just a little boost. The players still have to execute plays. And for that matter, if players are allowed to cheat a bit, why not the referees too? A little point-shaving activity that doesn't change the outcome of the game should be acceptable. It's just how the real world works.

PostPosted: 07/22/19 3:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OK, eliminate cheating ...

Let's go to baseball first: Stealing signs? Cheating. Framing pitches? Cheating. A balk is defined as "deceiving the baserunner", so any move by the pitcher that confuses the baserunner is cheating.

Basketball: Screening out? Almost always involves displacement. Cheating. Completing the shooting motion after the whistle blows? Cheating. Impeding the progress of any player? Cheating. Fouling late in the game when you're not in bonus to run time off the clock? Cheating. Intentionally fouling with no attempt to get the ball? Cheating.

You could also argue, then, that when a player knows the call is wrong -- the ball went off her, not her opponent -- by not saying anything that she's cheating.

You're right that the culture in every sport encourages some kind of bending of the rules, but part of playing the game is taking every advantage the rules allow, and claiming as much of the grey area as you can.

PostPosted: 07/22/19 3:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
OK, eliminate cheating ...

Let's go to baseball first: Stealing signs? Cheating. Framing pitches? Cheating. A balk is defined as "deceiving the baserunner", so any move by the pitcher that confuses the baserunner is cheating.

Basketball: Screening out? Almost always involves displacement. Cheating. Completing the shooting motion after the whistle blows? Cheating. Impeding the progress of any player? Cheating. Fouling late in the game when you're not in bonus to run time off the clock? Cheating. Intentionally fouling with no attempt to get the ball? Cheating.

You could also argue, then, that when a player knows the call is wrong -- the ball went off her, not her opponent -- by not saying anything that she's cheating.

You're right that the culture in every sport encourages some kind of bending of the rules, but part of playing the game is taking every advantage the rules allow, and claiming as much of the grey area as you can.

So, are you running flopping drills with your girls teams? Charging and blocking calls come up frequently. If it's acceptable and helps you win games, shouldn't flopping be something you practice? And when you're working as a referee, would you like to see more flopping in games?

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: