RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Why, Madonna?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 07/18/19 8:44 pm    ::: Why, Madonna? Reply Reply with quote

I know you're desperate for publicity, but …

Madonna raises eyebrows after posting pictures of black children with watermelon

What is it with white people this week?

Confused

PostPosted: 07/18/19 9:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Heavens to Betsy . . . the sky is falling! This is so, so disrespectful, hurtful and psychologically damaging to Madonna's children, to everyone on Twitter, and most of the earth's population. We need immediate safe spaces and grief counselors for this watermelon outrage.

Couldn't she have used a different fruit . . . oh, oh, omigosh, sorry for using that word. What was I thinking . . . it must be my disreputable child-of-the-Depression privilege wokening in me.
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 07/18/19 10:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, nailed it. I always seek grief counselling when I see trolling.

PostPosted: 07/19/19 8:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Surely Madonna meant the pix as a tribute to Kate Smith, who was posthumously lynched for recording it "That's Why Darkies Were Born." Smith also recorded 1933's "Pickaninny Heaven," from the film "Hello, Everybody!" The song is aimed at “colored children” and mentions “great big watermelons,” while the video for the song contains racist imagery and takes place in an orphanage for black children.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2019/04/23/kate-smith-heres-why-her-racist-recordings-are-controversial/3550061002/

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 07/19/19 9:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i think the people down the hall know who we are.

PostPosted: 07/19/19 12:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carol Anne wrote:
Surely Madonna meant the pix as a tribute to Kate Smith, who was posthumously lynched for recording it "That's Why Darkies Were Born." Smith also recorded 1933's "Pickaninny Heaven," from the film "Hello, Everybody!" The song is aimed at “colored children” and mentions “great big watermelons,” while the video for the song contains racist imagery and takes place in an orphanage for black children.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2019/04/23/kate-smith-heres-why-her-racist-recordings-are-controversial/3550061002/

Ahhh, the trials and tribulations of a society coming to terms with its sins of the past. Isn't there something in the Bible about visiting the sins of the fathers (mothers) upon the future generations? I never knew those songs existed.

PostPosted: 07/19/19 2:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

y'know, i read the first post in this thread and thought, "okay, now. we're all way too worn out by trump and his mindless, inbred walking dead. let's not get so touchy that black folk can't be associated in any way with a fruit that everyone loves. i get it, but black folk, like everyone else, do eat watermelon. surely, this can't be that big a deal.

then i followed the link(s) and actually saw the photos.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

that's not a funny ha-ha. that's a reaction of incredulity, bordering on madness.

what the freakin freak.

you're right, luuuc. but this week???

PostPosted: 07/19/19 6:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sambista wrote:

Yeah, fair enough. Kind of redundant.
Down here there was a documentary televised, about a very high profile aussie athlete, and it had the whole country reacting (mostly in a good way, but still depressingly many in a bad way), so race has been a hot topic down here this week.

PostPosted: 07/19/19 10:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
sambista wrote:

Down here there was a documentary televised, about a very high profile aussie athlete, and it had the whole country reacting (mostly in a good way, but still depressingly many in a bad way), so race has been a hot topic down here this week.

I've read some about that story, and its parallel here might be American prejudice toward Native Americans (Indians).

Are there ever any tensions or social uproar over immigrants to Australia? Does Australia offer asylum to any people from the various 'trouble sorts' around the world, and if so, is there any repercussion?

I know my friends in Europe speak very disparagingly of the Middle Eastern refugees.

PostPosted: 07/19/19 10:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
sambista wrote:

It must be nice to live in a country where race is only occasionally a hot topic

#NATC

PostPosted: 07/19/19 11:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Are there ever any tensions or social uproar over immigrants to Australia?

Totally. "Stop the boats" has been one of the major issues of the past few federal elections.

Howee wrote:
Does Australia offer asylum to any people from the various 'trouble sorts' around the world, and if so, is there any repercussion?

Yes we do. And certain people aren't happy about it at all. The South Sudanese are popular targets here. Muslims are always a favourite too.
Australia is built on immigrants, but without a hint of irony plenty of people arrive, get settled, sometimes get their families here as well, and then ask for the door to be closed to everyone else.

Then there's the whole other problem of people who arrive illegally rather than through the correct channels. Our human rights record has taken a nasty hit over that in recent years.

PostPosted: 07/19/19 11:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:

Then there's the whole other problem of people who arrive illegally rather than through the correct channels. Our human rights record has taken a nasty hit over that in recent years.

Have you considered building a wall?

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: