RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Recruiting Overseas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mzonefan

PostPosted: 07/08/19 12:59 pm    ::: Recruiting Overseas Reply Reply with quote

Interesting article from High Post Hoops about overseas recruiting at Arizona:

https://highposthoops.com/2019/07/05/culture-shock-arizona-challenges-of-international-recruiting/

PRballer

PostPosted: 07/09/19 9:48 am    ::: Re: Recruiting Overseas Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
Interesting article from High Post Hoops about overseas recruiting at Arizona:

https://highposthoops.com/2019/07/05/culture-shock-arizona-challenges-of-international-recruiting/

Very interesting indeed. Obviously Oregon has had some strong international recruiting in recent years (Germany, England, Australia on 2019-2020 roster) but the only other 'major' women's program that has recently relied heavily on international recruiting, with some success, is South Florida - even during the Big East years.

I think of Wendy Larry and Old Dominion - her focus on international talent lasted about a decade would you say?

The approach by the UA staff is notable. Barnes and her staff have signed some US talent recently and of course have had immediate impacts with P5 transfers, but the international recruiting scheme is interesting. Is it sustainable? Do you need a mix of homegrown talent to survive and maintain success?

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 07/09/19 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Florida State was a home to transfers and imports (esp imports who were transfers). I would think Florida summit like Arizona would be very popular to transfers. Syracuse also was brought in many imports particularly from France but also from the Netherlands and other European countries. The coach who was responsible for working with Quinton in this respect moved with Tammy Reiss to Rhode Island so it's quite possible that the Rams will bring in players from France or the European continent.

willtalk

PostPosted: 07/09/19 11:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A west coast teams that come to mind in respect to international players are St Marys amd Santa Clara. I remember a few years back looking at SC roster and they had more foreign players than players from the states.

PostPosted: 07/09/19 12:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The first truly big names in international recruiting -- at least the ones I remember -- in terms of impact on US collegiate teams, were Ticha Penicheiro (Old Dominion), Svetlana Abrosimova (UConn), and Stacey Dales (Oklahoma).

Penicheiro was one of three great international players for ODU in the 1990s -- the others being Clarisse Machanguana and Hamchétou Maïga. Ticha was a two-time Kodak All-American and became the first international player to win the Wade Trophy.

Abrosimova was a three-time Kodak All-American while in Storrs.

Dales was a two-time First Team All-America and a two-time winner of the Big 12 POY Award while in Norman.

After that, Duke joined the fold with Jessica Foley, who was part of the tremendous AIS classes of 1997-2001 (Lauren Jackson, Penny Taylor, Belinda Snell, Suzy Batkovic, etc.). While she did not achieve the same success as Penicheiro or Abrosimova, she was:

-- Two-time ESPN The Magazine Academic All-District II selection
-- All-ACC (junior year)
-- Was part of two Final Four squads
-- Hit the game-winner against UConn during the 2003-04 season, snapping the Huskies' 69-game home winning streak

In addition, Sancho Lyttle (Houston) was a JUCO player who led Houston to two of its greatest seasons in school history, compiling a 49-13 record and making back-to-back trips to the NCAA Tournament. She set single-season school records in rebounds (362), rebounding average (12.1 rpg) and offensive rebounds (142) and is also the career leader in RPG average.

And then came Utah's Canadian duo, Kim Smith and Shona Thorburn, who led the Utes to an Elite Eight appearance in the 2006 NCAA Tournament (before succumbing to eventual national champion Maryland, in overtime).

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 07/09/19 2:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As a tangential historical footnote to Cam's excellent summary of international college players, it is little noted that Senda Berenson, who organized the first women's college basketball team at Smith College in 1893 and who edited the first basketball guide for women in 1899, was born in Russia.

PRballer

PostPosted: 07/09/19 2:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
The first truly big names in international recruiting -- at least the ones I remember -- in terms of impact on US collegiate teams, were Ticha Penicheiro (Old Dominion), Svetlana Abrosimova (UConn), and Stacey Dales (Oklahoma).

Penicheiro was one of three great international players for ODU in the 1990s -- the others being Clarisse Machanguana and Hamchétou Maïga. Ticha was a two-time Kodak All-American and became the first international player to win the Wade Trophy.

Dales was a two-time First Team All-America and a two-time winner of the Big 12 POY Award while in Norman.

After that, Duke joined the fold with Jessica Foley, who was part of the tremendous AIS classes of 1997-2001 (Lauren Jackson, Penny Taylor, Belinda Snell, Suzy Batkovic, etc.). While she did not achieve the same success as Penicheiro or Abrosimova, she was:

-- All-ACC (junior year)
-- Hit the game-winner against UConn during the 2003-04 season, snapping the Huskies' 69-game home winning streak

In addition, Sancho Lyttle (Houston) was a JUCO player who led Houston to two of its greatest seasons in school history, compiling a 49-13 record and making back-to-back trips to the NCAA Tournament. She set single-season school records in rebounds (362), rebounding average (12.1 rpg) and offensive rebounds (142) and is also the career leader in RPG average.

And then came Utah's Canadian duo, Kim Smith and Shona Thorburn, who led the Utes to an Elite Eight appearance in the 2006 NCAA Tournament (before succumbing to eventual national champion Maryland, in overtime).

Remember in the 90s when foreigners could only play a year? I don't know when that rule changed, but it might have been 1996, right before Penicheiro matriculated at Old Dominion.

Isabelle Fijalkowski had a huge impact on Colorado in her only season, and paired with Shelley Sheetz they were a formidable team in 1994-1995, playing well and poised to go to their first Final Four for Ceal Barry, only to be stopped by an upstart Georgia team, loaded with sophomore talent (Frett, Holland, Henderson) and a nifty JUCO transfer named Saudia Roundtree. I remember that E8 game in Des Moines - lots of offense. And I was sad for Colorado.

But yes, international recruiting can obviously do a lot for a Division 1 program. I'm just wondering if it's truly sustainable over the long term (vs. focusing on in-state, or-in region, talent).

summertime blues

PostPosted: 07/09/19 5:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In the CAA, Hofstra usually has a bevy of foreign players. Last year, for instance, they were from Finland, Slovenia, and Canada. Duquesne, of the A-10, is famous for its heavy European roster also.

Back in the 90s, when South Carolina was the doormat of the SEC, I was at a game with my friend Sheila when they were playing Tennessee at TBA. At the time the SC roster was fully half foreign players, and only a couple of them were from the same country. They were being stomped by Tennessee and looked just awful on the court. I said to Sheila, "Those girls just are not communicating!" (which was true) and she replied, "Well, how can they? None of them speak the same language!"

PostPosted: 07/09/19 5:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Berenson's rules are more similar to netball than modern basketball

PostPosted: 07/10/19 10:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Zuzi Klimoseva was the power behind the punch when she paired with Chantelle Anderson as part of the Vandy post duo in the latter years of 20th century.

ucbart

PostPosted: 07/10/19 11:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

-- All-ACC (junior year)

In add-ition, Sancho Lyttle (Houston) was a JUCO player who led Houston to two of its greatest seasons in school history, compiling a 49-13 record and making back-to-back trips to the NCAA Tournament. She set single-season school records in rebounds (362), rebounding average (12.1 rpg) and offensive rebounds (142) and is also the career leader in RPG average.

I mean, I know Canada is technically "international," but it makes me laugh to see it. I grew up minutes from the Canadian border. We partied there from 19-21, all of our stores and restaurants are 1/2 Canadian regulars, and I have countless friends who have me their significant others as a result of match, tinder, plenty of fish, and bumble and their 60 mile filters. HA!

Svetlana! I will never forget when I used to have to call the UCONN Husky sports hotline to get all the game info. I would call diligently whenever the game ended until "women's basketball" was updated. After our first exhibition game in her freshman year, I called, she had a really game, was featured on the call, and the love affair was born.

Howee

PostPosted: 07/11/19 4:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I personally believe the foreign factor is a big positive for us. After all, we host legions of the best foreign minds in our universities for doctors, scientists, etc., so....why not athletes, too.

I especially think Good Foreign Talent can make a big difference in strengthening an otherwise-mediocre program that just can't find enough REALLY good players among American recruits. Dales certainly helped OK break through that barrier, leading to several years of excellent recruits (godonlyknowswhatshappenedsince), and Keitha Adams had a lot of success with some Polish kids at UTEP. Maybe UConn fans could say the same about Abrosimova, with far longer-lasting impact?

PostPosted: 07/12/19 1:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Playing in even weak pro leagues in Europe is still far better preparation than 98% of US high school games. The 2 UConn Euros have played along side and against US players like Tiffany Hayes. Not a lot like her but a lot of players in their mid 20's who have played for a dozen or more years. The offenses and defenses are more complex than you see in high schools. So when the best of these players get to US colleges they adapt quickly and contribute right away.

auntie

PostPosted: 07/18/19 6:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And look at the experience that Kia Nurse had with the Canadian national team.

Quote:
Playing in even weak pro leagues in Europe is still far better preparation than 98% of US high school games. The 2 UConn Euros have played along side and against US players like Tiffany Hayes. Not a lot like her but a lot of players in their mid 20's who have played for a dozen or more years. The offenses and defenses are more complex than you see in high schools. So when the best of these players get to US colleges they adapt quickly and contribute right away.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: