Sky
38%
 38%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 13

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 07/12/19 11:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Hartley needs less playing time. I do wonder if Johannes can cover PG duties. Let Hartley ride the bench. Allen covers Nurse at SF for 10 minutes. Wright can replace C. Smith on the coaching staff.

And not taking over for boys every 2Nd half

I was always taught that subbing a starter to start the 2Nd half was considered extremely disrespectful unless you were injured so wtf

And durr was hurt riiiiigggghhhhttt?

I think Wright would probably still start if her body would allow it. I think Katie doesn’t trust Boyd. Since I also don’t, I can’t blame Katie for that. It’s not that Wright is the answer to the problem. It’s just that Boyd brings nothing but question marks to it. Since I trust Hartley even less than Boyd, therein lies the problem.

All those offseason Boyd rumors, the Cloud offer sheet, the Wright trade and the late offseason signing of Boyd...not an accident.

PostPosted: 07/12/19 11:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I know running the starters into the ground is a bad idea but I think for NY to win Durr, Nurse and Charles basically all need to play 35 minutes a night. (I am not saying that should happen I am just being honest. All three of those players need to be on the court for our offense to compete especially if we are going to continue to be a sub-par defensive team).

Then figure out how to solve the PG and C spot. I would probably still start Boyd and Zahui B and let Johannes get starter minutes backing up the 1 and 2 and let Han or Gray back up the 4 and 5 based on match ups.

Can NY get away with a Johannes, Durr, Nurse, Charles, Zahui B 4th quarter?

Lib Fan

PostPosted: 07/12/19 11:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="J-Spoon"

Can NY get away with a Johannes, Durr, Nurse, Charles, Zahui B 4th quarter?[/quote]

" Yes we can " !

LibFan25

PostPosted: 07/13/19 6:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="J-Spoon"]I know running the starters into the ground is a bad idea but I think for NY to win Durr, Nurse and Charles basically all need to play 35 minutes a night. (I am not saying that should happen I am just being honest. All three of those players need to be on the court for our offense to compete especially if we are going to continue to be a sub-par defensive team).

Then figure out how to solve the PG and C spot. I would probably still start Boyd and Zahui B and let Johannes get starter minutes backing up the 1 and 2 and let Han or Gray back up the 4 and 5 based on match ups.

Can NY get away with a Johannes, Durr, Nurse, Charles, Zahui B 4th quarter?[/quote]

I think so, that's a nice lookin lineup all 5 are scoring threats. I don't know what happen to Durr but we needed her yesterday cuz Hartley was a disaster. Liberty is the worse finding out info hopefully we hear somethin today on what happen to Durr

RP

PostPosted: 07/13/19 8:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wild stat: Vandersloot has shot 14-for-19 (74%) against the Liberty, just 45-for-127 (35%) against everyone else.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 07/13/19 10:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

According to WNBA Fan Nation, Katie Smith refused to answer questions after the game about Durr. Maybe I was too harsh regarding the Chicago broadcast. Maybe they just had no info available to them.

Not the greatest news, either, if true. It’s from a normally reliable source so take from it what you will.

PostPosted: 07/13/19 11:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
According to WNBA Fan Nation, Katie Smith refused to answer questions after the game about Durr. Maybe I was too harsh regarding the Chicago broadcast. Maybe they just had no info available to them.

Not the greatest news, either, if true. It’s from a normally reliable source so take from it what you will.

Yeah, that's the report. Maybe it was for personal or disciplinary. If she plays tomorrow, it's all a wash then.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 07/13/19 1:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ok. So WNBA Fan Page is reporting that Durr was suspended for a game but he won't say why. I'm not telling anyone that is or isn't fact. What we do know for sure is that she was suspended 1 game in 2017 for breaking Louisville team rules.

And just to say, we factually don't know what happened. But you don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure out if she was injured or ill that probably would have just been shared by Katie Smith. What we also know is that transparency is hard to find in the WNBA so we probably will never know what happened. Which stinks because it leaves one to wonder about a number of plausible scenarios, which may or may not be fact. For instance, I thought the Liberty had pretty good on-court chemistry. I don't know for sure if that is or isn't so. But again, to have to have that potential scenario in my head without the info needed to draw a conclusion is very frustrating. Especially when the chemistry element is what draws me to women's basketball to begin with.

The lack of transparency is exactly what leaves us wondering about reports such as these. That's an unfortunate reality.

PostPosted: 07/13/19 1:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why worry about on-court (or off-court) chemistry? There are so many other reasons why a player could be suspended for a game.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 07/13/19 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm just saying it's a plausible scenario. I'm not saying it's a definitive issue. Just saying we don't know much info and that's frustrating.

PostPosted: 07/13/19 2:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Getting back to the game itself, I was thinking back last night to a game DC played where Thibault said that the first half defense needed improvement because the team wasn't closing gaps. While that seems pretty obvious, when you watch the Liberty play against a team with multiple perimeter threats, the fact that they get so spread out leads to huge lanes for penetration. Lanes that we don't see other teams give up as readily. Either that or a player's penetration gets stopped but she has an easy passing lane to another open player. When the Libs played really good defense in 2015, 2016, and the second half of 2017, you'd see one particular feature. The baseline drive would be hemmed in with great frequency. The passing lanes out of it would be covered. Opposing players would then be forced into uncomfortable shots and/or passing decisions.

You could argue that Stokes was a factor in that equation, and I'd readily agree. However, even with that being said, the Liberty got some mileage defensively out of Kia Vaughn in the last third of 2017. I'd maintain that if Laimbeer or Thibault were coaching NY, their defensive mistakes would be corrected with greater frequency.

I don't have a solution, but I do know that when the Liberty defense is forced into wider spacing, their D tends to be horrific. What's enabling them to have isolated games with strong defense is the fact that there's so much talent missing, so not as many teams can space the floor the way they normally would. But those gaps referred to by Thibault, against NY those driving lanes aren't just gaps. They're canyons. And you saw several instances of Liberty defenders running around looking for the guard when the D would start to break down. A few miscommunications with 2 people running at one player, stuff like that. Even without a true rim protector, they should be able to play D better than that.

PostPosted: 07/13/19 2:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
I'm just saying it's a plausible scenario. I'm not saying it's a definitive issue. Just saying we don't know much info and that's frustrating.

And I'm saying it's not worth worrying about. Chances are Durr will play on Sunday and we'll never know why she was suspended. Is there some reason why I should care? I don't.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 07/13/19 2:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

And I'm saying it's not worth worrying about. Chances are Durr will play on Sunday and we'll never know why she was suspended. Is there some reason why I should care? I don't.

You don't have to. If it's her second suspension in 3 seasons, then I do.

PostPosted: 07/13/19 2:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great news guys. Jordin Canada is shooting 45 percentage points higher from 1-5 feet than Tina Charles.

PostPosted: 07/13/19 3:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA Fan Page(on Facebook) isn't credible. Barcoff is frequently making stuff up over there to bloat his ego.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
root_thing

PostPosted: 07/13/19 5:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Katie Smith confirmed after the game that Durr was sitting out due to a minor sprain. Following the blowout against the Aces on Sunday, Durr was seen with a tiny wince and a limp. Smith acknowledge that Durr is still active, but decided that she should rest.

https://highposthoops.com/2019/07/13/reunited-didnt-feel-as-good-for-the-liberty-in-chicago/

PostPosted: 07/13/19 5:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
WNBA Fan Page(on Facebook) isn't credible. Barcoff is frequently making stuff up over there to bloat his ego.

Speaking of scoops from Barcoff and bloating, I hope Maya Moore's pregnancy is progressing well.

PostPosted: 07/13/19 6:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Quote:
Katie Smith confirmed after the game that Durr was sitting out due to a minor sprain. Following the blowout against the Aces on Sunday, Durr was seen with a tiny wince and a limp. Smith acknowledge that Durr is still active, but decided that she should rest.

https://highposthoops.com/2019/07/13/reunited-didnt-feel-as-good-for-the-liberty-in-chicago/

That’s a relief.

PostPosted: 07/13/19 7:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Getting back to the game itself, I was thinking back last night to a game DC played where Thibault said that the first half defense needed improvement because the team wasn't closing gaps. While that seems pretty obvious, when you watch the Liberty play against a team with multiple perimeter threats, the fact that they get so spread out leads to huge lanes for penetration. Lanes that we don't see other teams give up as readily. Either that or a player's penetration gets stopped but she has an easy passing lane to another open player. When the Libs played really good defense in 2015, 2016, and the second half of 2017, you'd see one particular feature. The baseline drive would be hemmed in with great frequency. The passing lanes out of it would be covered. Opposing players would then be forced into uncomfortable shots and/or passing decisions.

You could argue that Stokes was a factor in that equation, and I'd readily agree. However, even with that being said, the Liberty got some mileage defensively out of Kia Vaughn in the last third of 2017. I'd maintain that if Laimbeer or Thibault were coaching NY, their defensive mistakes would be corrected with greater frequency.

I don't have a solution, but I do know that when the Liberty defense is forced into wider spacing, their D tends to be horrific. What's enabling them to have isolated games with strong defense is the fact that there's so much talent missing, so not as many teams can space the floor the way they normally would. But those gaps referred to by Thibault, against NY those driving lanes aren't just gaps. They're canyons. And you saw several instances of Liberty defenders running around looking for the guard when the D would start to break down. A few miscommunications with 2 people running at one player, stuff like that. Even without a true rim protector, they should be able to play D better than that.

You know part of it I think its fatigue, you play players like Nurse or Chares close to 40 mins you gonna tired legs trying to defend the perimeter. Like I said before Katie is a extension of Bill, they are both stubborn in there ways.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 07/13/19 7:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LibFan25 wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

You know part of it I think its fatigue, you play players like Nurse or Chares close to 40 mins you gonna tired legs trying to defend the perimeter. Like I said before Katie is a extension of Bill, they are both stubborn in there ways.

There's no doubt, particularly with Tina, that fatigue is a factor. But by the same token we're not only talking physical mistakes by the players playing heavy minutes. Let's not even get into the scheming or how the defensive mistakes are corrected.

Slooty destroyed us in NY. Scheming to switch every screen either wasn't the right move or just wasn't being carried out properly in Friday's game to follow that performance up. I didn't think the Libs could play worse defense than they did the first game vs. CHI and I was sadly mistaken.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's not desirable to play your starters into the ground if you can avoid it and I think your point is well taken.

By next year I have to think this situation regarding depth will be not as much of a question with MJ23 and all the post players we have. Plus a draft choice. We didn't get the full benefit last night because Durr was out and the returnees played pretty terribly and MJ23 is new. Is calling her MJ23 like basketball sacrilege or something by the way?

PostPosted: 07/13/19 11:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Speaking of scoops from Barcoff and bloating, I hope Maya Moore's pregnancy is progressing well.

Aaaaaahahahahahahaha!!!!

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat upon him was Death, and Hell followed with him
LibFan25

PostPosted: 07/14/19 2:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
LibFan25 wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

There's no doubt, particularly with Tina, that fatigue is a factor. But by the same token we're not only talking physical mistakes by the players playing heavy minutes. Let's not even get into the scheming or how the defensive mistakes are corrected.

Slooty destroyed us in NY. Scheming to switch every screen either wasn't the right move or just wasn't being carried out properly in Friday's game to follow that performance up. I didn't think the Libs could play worse defense than they did the first game vs. CHI and I was sadly mistaken.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's not desirable to play your starters into the ground if you can avoid it and I think your point is well taken.

By next year I have to think this situation regarding depth will be not as much of a question with MJ23 and all the post players we have. Plus a draft choice. We didn't get the full benefit last night because Durr was out and the returnees played pretty terribly and MJ23 is new. Is calling her MJ23 like basketball sacrilege or something by the way?

If she can play anywhere near or half of MJ23 status we all be satisfied lol Miss MJ Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: