Board Junkies Forums

Sun @ Dream - 7/10/19
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 07/10/19 3:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:

That's a somewhat reductive interpretation of what actually happened. They earned the double-bye, primarily because of the twenty-nine games they played with McCoughtry..

Great point.

However, to pin Atlanta's regression mostly on Angel would be letting the Coach and players off the hook. Hayes hasn't played up to her capability, Breland is shooting 36% from the field and Bentley only 27%. At some point players need to be held accountatable. The Dream have more than enough talent to play .500 basketball. Starting the season 2-9 in unacceptable, with or without McCoughtry.

I'd put much of the blame on Collen. She's been slow to adjust the system to put the players in a position to succeed. The idea that she could just plug Coffey into McCoughtry's slot was laughable.

PostPosted: 07/10/19 3:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
However, to pin Atlanta's regression mostly on Angel would be letting the Coach and players off the hook. Hayes hasn't played up to her capability, Breland is shooting 36% from the field and Bentley only 27%. At some point players need to be held accountatable.

Hayes is overrated, and you've never heard me say otherwise. If anything, you've probably heard me say exactly that, over and over again, for at least four years now. The thing about the other players is, I'm not sure how much of it is them not stepping up, and how much is, they were never that good to begin with. The jury is still out on Collen, with me: she doesn't appear to be effective at coaching offense. And her defensive schemes, to this point, have proven that they only work when you have an arguably Top 5-6 all-time perimeter defender in the middle of it. That being said, Atlanta's not my team, I just live here. I'm comfortable watching to see how all this plays out: I just hate seeing McCoughtry's prime wasted.

Quote:
The Dream have more than enough talent to play .500 basketball.

Do they, though? From my point of view, this 2019 team looks remarkably similar to the 2017 team that only won twelve games.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
zune69

PostPosted: 07/10/19 4:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

I'd put much of the blame on Collen. She's been slow to adjust the system to put the players in a position to succeed. The idea that she could just plug Coffey into McCoughtry's slot was laughable.

+1

Slow to adjust and slow to hold players accountable

Silky Johnson wrote:

Hayes is overrated, and you've never heard me say otherwise. If anything, you've probably heard me say exactly that, over and over again, for at least four years now.

I agree 100%......I've been on the trade Hayes bandwagon for years. She has all-star talent but she's not the brightest basketball player.

Quote:

Do they, though? From my point of view, this 2019 team looks remarkably similar to the 2017 team that only won twelve games.

This season? Yes

I just think Atlanta plays low I.Q basketball

Shades

PostPosted: 07/10/19 4:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
zune69 wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:

That's a somewhat reductive interpretation of what actually happened. They earned the double-bye, primarily because of the twenty-nine games they played with McCoughtry..

Great point.

However, to pin Atlanta's regression mostly on Angel would be letting the Coach and players off the hook. Hayes hasn't played up to her capability, Breland is shooting 36% from the field and Bentley only 27%. At some point players need to be held accountatable. The Dream have more than enough talent to play .500 basketball. Starting the season 2-9 in unacceptable, with or without McCoughtry.

At least they recognized the three guard system wasn't going to work, just like it didn't work in 2017. I guess they needed to get lucky and sign Laney or draft Burke.

Like I pointed out in the prediction thread, there seems to be a net loss in talent besides just McCoughtry. Dantas probably had more value than you realized. Is Gulich better than IMS?

Neither Breland or Hayes have played up to 2018 level, for who knows why. Maybe you could supply a more detailed analysis than "because Collen hasn't put them in a position to succeed". What's changed about their responsibilities? What should Collen be doing differently?

Maybe McCoughtry helped them both succeed?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Rock Hard

PostPosted: 07/10/19 5:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
Hell, just give McCoughtry the MVP award every season because she clearly makes bums look like HOFs. Laughing Laughing

And I’m being sarcastic..

It's very funny but you are just keeping it real! Laughing

PostPosted: 07/10/19 5:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Neither Breland or Hayes have played up to 2018 level, for who knows why. Maybe you could supply a more detailed analysis than "because Collen hasn't put them in a position to succeed". What's changed about their responsibilities? What should Collen be doing differently?

Maybe McCoughtry helped them both succeed?

Well, here's one isolated example of how their offense is different without McCoughtry, off the top of my head: last season, Atlanta liked to run this play early in games where the post would set a baseline screen for Hayes, who would make like she was going from one corner to spot up in the other one, only to double back halfway between the three-point line and the edge of the paint, and McCoughtry would find her wide-open underneath for an easy layup. The Dream have not successfully run that play a single time this season, TTBOMR: either Hayes couldn't get free, because the defense was sagging because they recognize Hayes as the only consistent-ish offensive threat, or there's nobody else on the team who can make that pass into the lane, without turning it over.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 07/10/19 6:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have been waking up to some surprising results lately Shocked

PostPosted: 07/10/19 7:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
Natisha Hiedeman with her first career points!

Woo hoo Smile. I was all set to buy a Hiedeman jersey until I saw I'd need to order a custom Sun jersey for $90 - a little steep for me so I'll continue to cheer her on without the jersey Smile. I'm a little bummed they don't go to Chicago again this year but still fun to watch her playingl via TV/internet...

pilight

PostPosted: 07/10/19 8:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:

Everybody's crashing and burning in the tipping contest

PostPosted: 07/10/19 8:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Luuuc wrote:

Everybody's crashing and burning in the tipping contest

The average tipping success rate so far this round is 35%!

PostPosted: 07/10/19 10:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
Shades wrote:
PRballer wrote:
A rare chance to work from home (and watch the ticker parade for the USNWT) and watching this game.

Some observations.

-Alyssa Thomas' constant jawing and stink face at the officials has become the most annoying thing about the WNBA. You did it. You fouled. Next play.

-Atlanta Dream is just anemic on offense; this is a very bad team with no superstar. Hayes is the most talented, but she needs help. You need to get rid of Bentley and Sykes. Coffey was a cute try, but she won't cut it.

-The Connecticut Sun will not win a WNBA championship or make the WNBA Finals with Courtney Williams/Jasmine Thomas as their backcourt. Thomas is above average as PG and Williams is a "good" player but she's too small to be effective against elite players in the playoffs. I just don't see offensive flow and physical dominance (or advantage) in the backcourt.

-Natasha Hiedeman getting her moment to shine and doing well! Anigwe looks good, too. Holmes is a threat off of the bench - this is a strength for the Sun, but I remain doubtful about the starters.

Should we take this as anything more than a one-game analysis, because I'd love to have Sykes on the Lynx.

Take it for what you want! Alyssa Thomas reaction is not a one-game analysis Smile

You must not like Alyssa because she is no worse than many others when comes to complaining. Knnka, Candance and others are just as bad and NEVER think they fou.l

NYSports56

PostPosted: 07/10/19 11:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow, Atlanta had their pockets picked so many times down the stretch I can't believe they won. Beyond that, the offense looks terrible; they are not getting good looks for themselves. They're not rushing things by taking poor shots either. They're being patient, but nothing is developing.

I don't know whether it's the system or the players not executing the system. But I think the issue behind the low FG percentages has more to do with quality of shot than it does shooting ability.

ClayK

PostPosted: 07/11/19 8:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Courtney Williams: 14 shots, 10 misses, 0 assists.

The downside of the volume scorer ...

PostPosted: 07/11/19 9:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Courtney Williams: 14 shots, 10 misses, 0 assists.

The downside of the volume scorer ...

Awful shooting night for sure, but it's misleading to imply that she's not a willing passer.

PostPosted: 07/11/19 11:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballgrl wrote:
PRballer wrote:
Shades wrote:

Should we take this as anything more than a one-game analysis, because I'd love to have Sykes on the Lynx.

Take it for what you want! Alyssa Thomas reaction is not a one-game analysis :)

You must not like Alyssa because she is no worse than many others when comes to complaining. Knnka, Candance and others are just as bad and NEVER think they fou.l

Speaking of not liking someone... it's funny how the players you'd describe as being "just as bad" as Alyssa Thomas just happen to all play for the Sparks...

No judgment, just an observation. #HateHard approved!

uptochallenge

PostPosted: 07/12/19 10:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The WNBA is dominated by superstars. The Storm, Mercury, Wings, Dream, and Lynx are down this year. Delle Donne misses two games and the Mystics loose both. The Dream has less talent than any of these teams largely because of Angel McCoughtry. Her ability or stupid trades have kept the Dream out of the lottery.

Collen has tried to bring in better players with the money she had available. Montgomery was not a starter for the Lynx. Money prevented the Atlanta from keeping Dantas. IMS was a bust.

I think Hayes is not the player she was a year ago because she has not adapted to the new role she has to play without McCoughtry.

PostPosted: 07/12/19 11:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's almost like people have continuously undervalued Angel for her entire career.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: