RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

WNBA All Star Weekend 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aladyyn

PostPosted: 07/16/19 7:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Excusing why she hasn't played like an all-star doesn't automatically make her worthy. The Sky outscore opponents by 10 points per 100 possession when Diamond sits. All that stuff doesn't seem to be helping her team much. You could make a convincing argument that she's hurt Chicago more than she's helped them this season.

I don't know which is more disappointing, her play this season, or this undeserved selection.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/16/19 8:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DeShields also goes to sleep or doesn't try on far too many defensive possessions. She has the tools and the potential to be a great defender, but all the best defensive players will tell you that consistency is one of the key elements to being a top defender. She doesn't have that yet.

I would also argue over the fact that she (and McBride) got in as 'guards'. If you're going to split the groups into 'guards' and 'frontcourt', and give the extra spots to 'frontcourt', then you're calling small forwards 'frontcourt' players. DeShields has been playing the 3 all season. Hell, the two actual 'guards' next to her both made the all-star teams as well. If you want to make it 'perimeter' and 'post' then call them that.

All of that said, I had a list of 12 players for the final 6 spots, and the coaches' final picks were all from that list of 12. They didn't take the final six I would have - I had J.Thomas, Collier and C.Ogwumike over DeShields, Charles and Dupree - but everyone selected was on my 'big board'. So I don't think the list is too outrageous.

PostPosted: 07/16/19 8:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:
Excusing why she hasn't played like an all-star doesn't automatically make her worthy. The Sky outscore opponents by 10 points per 100 possession when Diamond sits. All that stuff doesn't seem to be helping her team much. You could make a convincing argument that she's hurt Chicago more than she's helped them this season.

I don't know which is more disappointing, her play this season, or this undeserved selection.

I wouldn't put too much weight into that stat for a number of reasons:

* It's a team stat based on who's on the court.
* It's only about 11 per game
* Blowout wins/losses can skew a small number
* Chicago has a better bench than most teams.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/16/19 8:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Diamonds an all star.....The Cubic Zirconia queens have come out again Laughing

PostPosted: 07/16/19 8:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Diamond is 2nd on the team in rebounding despite being hindered by a less than 100% ankle.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 07/16/19 9:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In a league where more than a third of starters are named All-Stars, I have a really hard time caring about who does and doesn't get those last couple of spots.

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 07/16/19 10:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
In a league where more than a third of starters are named All-Stars, I have a really hard time caring about who does and doesn't get those last couple of spots.

Agree. Ain’t that deep. Laughing

PostPosted: 07/19/19 1:47 pm    ::: Re: WNBA All Star Weekend Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Anybody have any plans of a rebkell meet and greet this year?

Seems like this got lost in the shuffle.

So, any meetup plans in Vegas? I’m going out a couple days ahead for the Storm v Aces game.

PostPosted: 07/19/19 1:52 pm    ::: Re: WNBA All Star Weekend Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

So, any meetup plans in Vegas? I’m going out a couple days ahead for the Storm v Aces game.

Traditionally someone local is in charge of this. They know all the cool places for dorks like us to avoid.

I don't know that we have any regulars who are local to Vegas.

PostPosted: 07/19/19 2:05 pm    ::: Re: WNBA All Star Weekend Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

The Mercury Brigade will be there in full force. I arrive late Friday morning.

If you have any ideas, I am sure the attending Rebkell Junkies would open to them.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 07/19/19 2:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

19,000 versus 11,000......hmmm?

Not even in the ballpark...

If you want/ask the fans to vote then you should to go with their vote- not change it to what you want it to be.

First class horse shit IMO. Embarassed

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/19/19 2:25 pm    ::: Re: WNBA All Star Weekend Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Totally lol , the thread topic actually got shifted someway somehow Laughing Laughing but its all good . Ill be arriving thursday around 4 pm. The weekend schedule seems fun . Skills contest Friday then Snoop & Iggy with Liz Cambage as the DJ at the Night time beach party . I have a game purchased ticket so from my reading i assume that means we get free admission to the skills challenge & the beach party correct ?

PostPosted: 07/19/19 2:37 pm    ::: Re: WNBA All Star Weekend Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Well ChasingRatDogmaSalade and AFO are pretty local these days. Smile

PostPosted: 07/19/19 2:52 pm    ::: Re: WNBA All Star Weekend Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
scullyfu wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Totally lol , the thread topic actually got shifted someway somehow Laughing Laughing but its all good . Ill be arriving thursday around 4 pm. The weekend schedule seems fun . Skills contest Friday then Snoop & Iggy with Liz Cambage as the DJ at the Night time beach party . I have a game purchased ticket so from my reading i assume that means we get free admission to the skills challenge & the beach party correct ?

Yes to three point and skills, no to beach party. That's an extra event.

ChasingRatDogmaSalade

PostPosted: 07/19/19 3:06 pm    ::: Re: WNBA All Star Weekend Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
pilight wrote:

Well ChasingRatDogmaSalade and AFO are pretty local these days. Smile

Vegas has everything, so pretty much just depends on what you are looking for.

We get discounts at certain locations on property (the things that aren't like, Wolfgang Pucky).

Give me a yell at 951-203-3208 when you are out and about in the dinner hour, and I will try and come break bread, drink wine, and share my discount with you.

toad455

PostPosted: 07/21/19 10:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder if Wilson will be okay to play by Saturday? She's out for today's Aces game. I'd say let Hamby replace her. As for Loyd, I'd have Cloud replace her.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades

PostPosted: 07/21/19 11:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
I wonder if Wilson will be okay to play by Saturday? She's out for today's Aces game. I'd say let Hamby replace her. As for Loyd, I'd have Cloud replace her.

Collier was so screwed over, seeing as the fans wanted her in. She better be first in line for replacements.

Loyd is back playing.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
PicknLOL

PostPosted: 07/21/19 11:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Collier not being selected as a reserve in the All-Star game was surprising and very disappointing. If A'ja can't play, Collier should almost definitely be put in. Laimbeer said A'ja's injury is not a big deal, if we're to put trust in what comes out of his mouth, so I hope she's back soon and we don't have to deal with any of that.

Shades

PostPosted: 07/21/19 12:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PicknLOL wrote:
Laimbeer said A'ja's injury is not a big deal, if we're to put trust in what comes out of his mouth, so I hope she's back soon and we don't have to deal with any of that.

When did he say that, in the video I supplied? He said it was a high ankle sprain, which is “no big deal” compared to an Achilles or ACL, but I don’t exactly think it’s instant recovery.

She can still act as the captain, but they should probably substitute someone to play for her, if she’s anything less than 100%. It’s not that important of a game to risk re-injury.

PicknLOL

PostPosted: 07/21/19 1:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
When did he say that, in the video I supplied? He said it was a high ankle sprain, which is “no big deal” compared to an Achilles or ACL, but I don’t exactly think it’s instant recovery.

Yeah, there. I must have misinterpreted it. I still hope she's not out too long.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/21/19 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hamby would be the easy replacement, given she'll presumably be in town and it'd be another player for the home fans to support. But personally I have at least 6-8 replacement options ahead of her.

PostPosted: 07/21/19 3:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PicknLOL wrote:
Shades wrote:

Yeah, there. I must have misinterpreted it. I still hope she's not out too long.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/basketball/aces-wnba/aces-star-aja-wilson-to-miss-lynx-game-with-sprained-ankle-1807620/
Quote:
The team announced the injury as an ankle sprain Friday night, and Aces coach Bill Laimbeer speculated after the game that it’s a high ankle sprain, which usually carries a recovery timetable of six to 12 weeks.

toad455

PostPosted: 07/21/19 3:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Aces without Wilson ain't winning a title. Hamby starts and we'd het a lot of minutes for Park.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
ChasingRatDogmaSalade

PostPosted: 07/22/19 1:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Any Broadway fans out there?

PUmatty

PostPosted: 07/22/19 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Hamby would be the easy replacement, given she'll presumably be in town and it'd be another player for the home fans to support. But personally I have at least 6-8 replacement options ahead of her.

You would have to squint awfully hard for Hamby to look anything like an All-Star. That would be the least deserving replacement I can think of since Vandersloot's rookie year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: