RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

sportsmanship

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
myrtle

PostPosted: 02/18/20 12:04 pm    ::: sportsmanship Reply Reply with quote

This probably doesn't belong in this forum but I thought maybe others could contribute college examples of outstanding sportsmanship. I think we sometimes spend too much time on the negatives.

So here's my story. It's from a high school game. The local boys team was behind by 20 with 2 minutes to go and the coach put in a 5'3" exchange student from Brazil who hadn't scored all year. He made a legit runout, missed the layup, got his own rebound and put it in. The crowd erupted with the biggest cheer all game (maybe all year). The opposing team realized what was happening and basically laid off defending him and let him score 3 more baskets. I thought for HS boys, this was a pretty amazing compassionate act.

- Amanda Gorman
mzonefan

PostPosted: 02/18/20 2:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cool. Thanks for sharing.

Howee

PostPosted: 02/18/20 11:50 pm    ::: Re: sportsmanship Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
So here's my story. It's from a high school game...

Hmmm....so this was about YOU, Myrtle. YOU were the "Brazilian Boy", struggling to find your game, way back then. And the kindness of the other teammates led you on your path to becoming a Stanford Standout....etc. I get that now. Thank you for sharing.

Laughing Laughing Of course, on The Real Topic at Hand, I must agree wholeheartedly. A recent up-close thing I saw was the Oregon-Syracuse game I attended. I saw Sabrina and a few others, pre-game, seek out Miss Mangakahia (recent cancer patient) and share some friendly words with her. They're seemingly little things, but are SO huge in reality.

PostPosted: 02/19/20 9:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here's a story of a manager with Down's Syndrome scoring while the opposing team plays little defense. With video. If dizziness is an issue for you, you might want to look away for a second just as he's bringing the ball up the court and again after he scores.

https://www.wthr.com/article/high-school-manager-down-syndrome-steals-show-senior-night

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
ClayK

PostPosted: 02/19/20 10:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I know most people like it, but I'm a bit of a curmudgeon -- OK, a lot of a curmudgeon.

If somebody just let me score, I'd be insulted. I don't want people to say "Oh you're actually terrible but you're so cute we'll pretend to play the game and then let you do something good."

I felt the same way when I was coaching and we were losing by 40 and the other team quit trying to score. Really? That's supposed to make me and my players feel better? That we deserve so little respect you don't even play the game?

I get that there's a positive aspect to all this, and an acknowledgement of the less skilled, but if I went out and played pickup basketball and it was clear the other team said "Oh, let the old guy score" and didn't even try, I'd walk off the court.

PostPosted: 02/19/20 11:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
I know most people like it, but I'm a bit of a curmudgeon -- OK, a lot of a curmudgeon.

If somebody just let me score, I'd be insulted. I don't want people to say "Oh you're actually terrible but you're so cute we'll pretend to play the game and then let you do something good."

I felt the same way when I was coaching and we were losing by 40 and the other team quit trying to score. Really? That's supposed to make me and my players feel better? That we deserve so little respect you don't even play the game?

I get that there's a positive aspect to all this, and an acknowledgement of the less skilled, but if I went out and played pickup basketball and it was clear the other team said "Oh, let the old guy score" and didn't even try, I'd walk off the court.

I have the same general reaction as Clay.

While we are well into the generation of participation trophies for everyone, I don't see it as the job of the opposing team to do so under the (condescending, to me) guise of gift baskets. Every team has players at the end of the bench who have scored little, if at all. I was once one of them, and would have been highly insulted if the other team tried to give me baskets during garbage time, instead of earning them myself through a season of practice competition, just so they could virtue signal pathos and sympathy for my lack of skills.
Howee

PostPosted: 02/19/20 1:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hmm. You may wanna get to know some Downs people better, guys.

With them, it's a bit like the little cancer patient who gets to ride with the Fire Engines for a day. They know it's a 'gift', but it's still uber special to them.

The Brazilian kid? That was just a one-off to give him his special moment in an otherwise-foreign place. Some might have too much pride and might see it as condescension, but....maybe not.

PostPosted: 02/19/20 4:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Downs syndrome player I can go along with ... and applaud if the person is willing.

And as far as that goes, if any player/team/coach feels fine with the charity, that's great too.

PostPosted: 02/19/20 5:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some people just like to rain on other people's parades. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 02/19/20 6:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This kid was beaming, so it was obviously special to him.

- Amanda Gorman
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 02/19/20 8:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

And I'm sure that his family loved it as well. I'm not a parent, so I can only imagine what that was like for them to see their child so happy.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
taropatch

PostPosted: 02/20/20 1:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

+1 for the Down's Syndrome kid

bcdawg04

PostPosted: 02/24/20 10:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hats off to UCLA for allowing the Huskies to give this moment to GiGi Garcia. The Bruins let Garcia take the opening tipoff uncontested before she was immediately subbed off.

UW WBB twitter: GiGi Garcia tipoff
Quote:
Special moment to start senior day as senior GiGi Garcia surprises the team with her first career start. GiGi has battled injuries and was unable to take the floor until today.

GiGi Garcia takes the court for the first time on Senior Night (UW Daily)
Quote:
A number of injuries kept Garcia from playing basketball in her four years at Washington. She suffered two ACL injuries in high school and three at the UW, having four separate surgeries.

While rehabbing from her fourth surgery, the graft failed and she chose not to undergo surgery again.

Garcia’s start was a surprise for her teammates and her family, who traveled from Sacramento for her Senior Day despite believing she wouldn’t play. Senior Mai-Loni Henson had asked the coaches if she could wear Garcia’s No. 32 to honor her on the court, but the coaches told her it wouldn’t be possible in order to keep the start a secret.

When Garcia took her sweats off to reveal her uniform in the tunnel just as starters were being announced, Wynn said the team “went nuts.”

I'm surprised Cathi Cornell didn't foul her out. Whoops, sorry, this is the good sportsmanship thread. Razz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: