RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Is Domestic Violence that widespread in the W?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hyperetic

PostPosted: 07/17/19 1:21 am    ::: Is Domestic Violence that widespread in the W? Reply Reply with quote

Is it an issue that needs to be addressed league wide? Should there be provisions in the CBA for counseling and mental health?
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 07/17/19 1:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We have no idea if it’s prevalent league wide. 4 current players have been either accused or been found guilty of it. But you’re talking about a league that has players in it who are either married or in relationships with each other. Just in light of that alone, I think mental health counseling, etc. should be provided. Being that relationships in any workplace environment can bring additional challenges plus the players spend so much time in different places, when can they say they are ever in their “home”? Not very often. Those are challenges that go beyond the challenges of relationships of a majority of couples in society.

PostPosted: 07/17/19 9:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I doubt there are enough incidents to draw any statistically significant conclusions about its prevalence vs the general population. However, I've wondered if the life-long training to be strong, aggressive, and accepting of trash-talking and physical contact in one's workplace spills over into home life.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 07/17/19 10:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
I doubt there are enough incidents to draw any statistically significant conclusions about its prevalence vs the general population. However, I've wondered if the life-long training to be strong, aggressive, and accepting of trash-talking and physical contact in one's workplace spills over into home life.

I understand what you're saying, but that's no excuse. Otherwise we should give all male athletes a pass as well. Behavior encouraged on the gridiron, court, field, or ice rink is just not acceptable in the home, regardless of gender. You have to be able to turn it off.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 07/17/19 10:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not saying it's an excuse, but perhaps an underlying reason, as well as professional athletes and celebrities thinking that normal rules of behavior don't apply to them.

mmaniac

PostPosted: 07/17/19 10:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I doubt it is more widespread than in general society, but what both of these cases highlight is domestic violence among same sex couples, which are notoriously underreported. I hope the league will become proactive in spearheading this fight which so far they've been fairly quiet about.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 07/17/19 10:34 am    ::: Re: Is Domestic Violence that widespread in the W? Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
Is it an issue that needs to be addressed league wide? Should there be provisions in the CBA for counseling and mental health?

Yes and yes.

Genero36

PostPosted: 07/17/19 1:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As someone whose been following this league since day one and had inside track on the founding players of the league over the first few seasons, this has been an issue. I know of quite a few players (even legends) who have been abused and who have been the abuser. It's been an open secret.

This problem should be addressed in the same way it should be addressed throughout other sports leagues. Look no further than the NFL.

PostPosted: 07/17/19 3:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:
This problem should be addressed in the same way it should be addressed throughout other sports leagues. Look no further than the NFL.

Earlier today...

The Arizona Cardinals have released offensive tackle Desmond Harrison after a warrant was issued for his arrest on felony charges of assault in North Carolina.

A Greensboro police spokesman told multiple news outlets that an incident report was filed Tuesday. The charges would be assault on a person by strangulation and assault on a female by a male.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27208080/cards-release-harrison-arrest-warrant-issued

hyperetic

PostPosted: 07/17/19 7:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I feel like it is an issue that needs to be addressed, widespread or not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: