RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

UMKC returning to Summit; Bellarmine to DI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dinkytown

PostPosted: 06/21/19 8:25 pm    ::: UMKC returning to Summit; Bellarmine to DI Reply Reply with quote

Should've never left, but Kangaroos are re-joining the Summit for the 2020-2021 year.

http://thesummitleague.org/general/2018-19/releases/20190620sts1tx

So now the WAC is losing Cal State-Bakersfield and UMKC after this year and Dixie State is replacing them.

Also recently announced, Bellarmine is joining the A-SUN for 2020-2021.

https://athletics.bellarmine.edu/news/2019/6/18/general-bellarmine-accepts-asun-invitation-knights-will-rise-to-ncaa-division-i-in-2020.aspx

ClayK

PostPosted: 06/22/19 9:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just a note: If college athletics lose so much money, why do schools keep moving into Division I? And if college athletics lose so much money, why don't more drop out?

PostPosted: 06/22/19 10:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't know about other situations but when North Dakota State moved up to D1 about 13 years ago it was largely about exposure. The Bison had been successful at the Division II level in the number of programs and that garnered some regional success but given the location of the school the size of the school the size of the Fargo Moorhead community it has long been thought that they should move up to the Division I level and the FCS level with regards to football.

And it worked. Largely on the basis of it's successful football program the Bison brand has become more nationally recognized. Men's basketball's made it to big Dance a couple times As has softball and volleyball but usually they are one and done in those respective sports (the Bison did capture to top finishes in the indoor track national championships this year). But with regards to more exposure more opportunities which translates to more money the move has been successful

Of course it's been bantered around that the football team should move up to a non P5 FBS conference but I think given the demographics of the community the media footprint of the community the size of the region that NDSU is sitting pretty where they're at right now. I think it is also helped that when they moved up South Dakota State partnered with that move and that brought a homemade rivalry and bargaining partner into any conference scenarios that were being considered.And it's also helped that subsequently the University of North Dakota and the University of South Dakota both made a similar jump.

dinkytown

PostPosted: 10/28/19 6:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Tarleton State Texans are going to be joining the WAC next year also. They are hoping to be like TCU.

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article235793507.html

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: