22%  [ 2 ]
Lynx
77%
 77%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 9

toad455

PostPosted: 06/22/19 8:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
The Libs are at least still battling. Showing character. Which means something. They have two winnable games over the weekend. They need to win them both.

Agreed. We lost this game in the third quarter. Got too far behind. Charles looked gassed in the fourth. Nurse played all 40 tonight. Another game where Wright finishes out the game. Raincock was useless.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 06/22/19 8:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nice Nurse Cool

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 06/22/19 9:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
The Libs are at least still battling. Showing character. Which means something. They have two winnable games over the weekend. They need to win them both.

I was very impressed with the fight the Liberty put up in the fourth quarter. Tonight they played on the road with a depleted lineup, they had no one really capable of stopping Fowles, some of the Lynx players had excellent games... and yet New York was down only five points with a few minutes to go.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 06/22/19 9:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Liberty offense put up enough points and had 20 assists, but the defense eats moose. They've given up over 90 points in each of the last four games.
Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 06/22/19 9:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

I was very impressed with the fight the Liberty put up in the fourth quarter. Tonight they played on the road with a depleted lineup, they had no one really capable of stopping Fowles, some of the Lynx players had excellent games... and yet New York was down only five points with a few minutes to go.

For me, with NY, I don't care about winning. All I care about is player development. Nurse is just showing off now, proving that I was right to draft her so high.. Mr. Green

And Durr at SF actually seems to be working... Shocked I'm usually not a fan of 3-guard lineups, but hey, if it works...
Idea

root_thing

PostPosted: 06/22/19 9:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It was clear that Gray and Raincock were too short to handle Fowles. Because NY had to drop defenders back to help out, MN was able to get open shots on the perimeter. Also, NY has no shotblockers without Zahui (and Allen really). The Lynx guards could drive to the basket with impunity. So why not use Han? At 6-9, she might help. You're already getting killed in the middle, and overall New York is last in the league in points allowed by a whopping 5.5 ppg. Are you afraid if Han plays you'll be lower than last? Confused

PostPosted: 06/22/19 9:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
It was clear that Gray and Raincock were too short to handle Fowles. Because NY had to drop defenders back to help out, MN was able to get open shots on the perimeter. Also, NY has no shotblockers without Zahui (and Allen really). The Lynx guards could drive to the basket with impunity. So why not use Han? At 6-9, she might help. You're already getting killed in the middle, and overall New York is last in the league in points allowed by a whopping 5.5 ppg. Are you afraid if Han plays you'll be lower than last? Confused

lol Coach Katie Smith is just not a good coach, i don't know why she's holding her(Han) back other then the reason i see clear as a blue sky she is a bad coach

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 06/22/19 9:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:

It was ridiculous not to give Han a serious look in that game. Fowles and other Lynx players were having a field day inside against Charles, Gray, and Raincock-Ekunwe.

The Liberty have five more games without Zahui or Stokes. Is Han going to play for two minutes in each of those games?

lynxmania

PostPosted: 06/22/19 10:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Collier starting defending on Boyd and then switching onto Charles. Very impressive for a player and a rookie. Loving her versitility.

zune69

PostPosted: 06/22/19 10:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If This continues, Han will not show up next season.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 06/23/19 8:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:
Collier starting defending on Boyd and then switching onto Charles. Very impressive for a player and a rookie. Loving her versitility.

Precisely why I said she was the best all-around player in the draft. What's scary for the rest of the league is that she is just scratching the surface of her ability in getting acclimated to playing SF in the WNBA.

PostPosted: 06/23/19 8:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I know I'm in the minority on Han, but I think she gives us even less chance to win right now than the people who did play. The player I see is not going to be able to get into help defense position. She hasn't once in any of the few minutes she's played so far. She's tall and gangly and brand new to North American basketball. She's going to grow into her body, but right now I see her as very uncoordinated in any types of movement be they laterally or running. As a team the Liberty don't do that well to begin with, but she's even worse than what we already put out there. Now if your thought is that we aren't winning anyway, so let the young player play, I can see that line of thinking. But, the thing is, no coach is going to sacrifice that in the tenth game of the season. Certainly not 10-34 Katie Smith. But no coach is going to sacrifice the best chance to win at this stage of the season. And even if Han was playing, let's assume that the language is at minimum making it take longer for her to learn the schemes. If she's not ready to play (I maintain she isn't) is it beneficial for her to play and struggle almost completely? I'm not sold that's the learning experience you want for her.

If we had the Stokes of 2015 and early 2016 on this team, we'd probably be over .500. That's particularly frustrating. The offense is just scratching the surface of what it can be (the ball movement is still a work in progress and Durr is still learning) but you can see the upside of having Nurse, Durr and Tina offensively. It's a potent combo. Even without the defensive presence, avoiding all those mindless TOs in the third quarter would have helped too. Might have been able to win this game on the strength of offense alone.

PostPosted: 06/23/19 8:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
If This continues, Han will not show up next season.

100%. But hopefully, the Liberty are smart and don't waive her once Stokes arrives. Keep her for this season, retain her rights and hopefully she shows up in 2021 much improved. She'll play in China(WCBA), plus the Olympics and I would hope she really works on her defense and putting on some muscle/weight.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 06/23/19 8:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think you have to worry about her being cut. Katie likes her potential. And Tsai would likely not approve. Nayo will likely be the one to go. It's not like she is adding a ton herself.

PostPosted: 06/23/19 8:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
I don't think you have to worry about her being cut. Katie likes her potential. And Tsai would likely not approve. Nayo will likely be the one to go. It's not like she is adding a ton herself.

Agreed. I think it hurt Nayo by taking off the 2018 season. She's taken a step back from what we saw in 2017. No loss if she's cut.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 06/23/19 8:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
I know I'm in the minority on Han, but I think she gives us even less chance to win right now than the people who did play.

I doubt you're in the minority about that. I certainly agree. I just think winning right now shouldn't be the entire focus. The 2019 Liberty aren't going to win the title and 2019 Han is not a star player. But she has potential and she is a learner, so IMO she should see playing time - even if only brief - in every half of basketball this season. I think the Liberty are better served in the long term by developing her than they are by trying 100% to win every game. A nice side effect of that might be prolonging Charles' career.
I also don't think you need to worry about her getting cut. I do think that her feeling neglected and disheartened is a possibility though.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 06/23/19 11:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not going to discount any of the valid criticisms of Han that have been made here. But I don't agree that she gives us less chance to win than Raincock-Ekunwe. Nayo was completely nonexistent on the offensive end last night. Han adds offense; someone actually has to cover her. And on defense Han adds height and perhaps will block a shot or two.

Raincock-Ekunwe played more than 19 minutes. Han played less than two. The only thing I saw Nayo contribute was five rebounds. I can't believe that at her height Han wouldn't get some rebounds if she played 19 minutes.

Should Tina Charles play 38 minutes, as she did last night? No. Is Raincock-Ekunwe playing so well that she should get 19 minutes to Han's two? No. I'm not advocating taking minutes from Gray, Zahui, or Stokes to give them to Han. But right now, while Zahui B and Stokes are away, Han should get a real look.

toad455

PostPosted: 06/23/19 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Especially considering that neither Gray or Charles could guard Fowles. Han should be getting 10 mpg now. Curious what happens on Friday and if any changes are made. Bias needs a few more minutes so Nurse doesn't play all 40 again. Gotta play a three guard line-up with Bias-Wright-Durr.

Shades

PostPosted: 06/23/19 12:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It seems they’re slotting Charles at center, not that it makes a huge difference what position they call it. It’s like arguing about who plays center on the Sparks. It looks like the plan was to have Han back up Charles.

38:12 Charles
..1:48 Han
40:00 Total

I noted in the game thread that Gray started out slow, but she got better further into the game. I don’t know if she got into early foul trouble or Raincock was better defensively, but those two split time at the other post position.

20:37 Gray
19:53 Raincock

If you want to call Nurse the SF, then all the SF minutes went to her

40:00 Nurse

Having fun yet? Moving onto the guard positions

32:53 Durr
..7:07 Wright

26:51 Boyd
..2:28 Bias
10:41 Wright

I think that’s a decent distribution if you’re trying to win. Roles are defined, which is always a good thing. Players seem to be buying into their roles.

This is a lot better situation than Dallas. Only two defined positions over there, Gray and Thornton. Another defined role is Ogunbowale shooting the most no matter how many minutes she gets.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight

PostPosted: 06/23/19 12:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
This is a lot better situation than Dallas

Why are you trying to rile up the Agler stans?

PostPosted: 06/23/19 1:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Shades wrote:
This is a lot better situation than Dallas

Why are you trying to rile up the Agler stans?

“Riling” is your job. I report what I see.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 06/23/19 1:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not in practice, but maybe Han isn't doing well.

toad455

PostPosted: 06/23/19 1:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
I'm not in practice, but maybe Han isn't doing well.

Smith has talked about her ceiling and her potential. Also, her willingness to learn but has also mentioned the language barrier and her poor defense. If Han wants to have longevity in the W, she needs to learn to get physical inside. Putting on weight/muscle will help. I'm guessing the WCBA isn't that physical of a league? Han should also talk with the best known female player from China, Haixia Zheng, and get whatever pointers from her.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 06/23/19 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nayo played a lot of SF overseas so maybe that is worth a try.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Shades

PostPosted: 06/23/19 2:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe Smith is under orders to make sure Han doesn’t get hurt or worn down. Don’t they have Asian qualifying tournaments coming up?

Ting is supposed to be the best Chinese player on the national squad, and she seems to be bubble-wrapped on the Lynx.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: