RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Team USA 2020/2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 25, 26, 27  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
willtalk

PostPosted: 08/09/21 12:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Paige has not played againt above college level teams. Even Sabrina has not played that many games healthy in the WNBA. You can not just assume how much and what level their sills will translate playing at that higher level. There are a lot of good and capable players who have succeeded in the WNBA who have not even had a chance to play for the NT. The Olympics are 3 years off and thats a long ways away. New and better players can com onto the scene and a lot of other thngs can transprie till them.

PostPosted: 08/09/21 1:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
Both Fowles and Charles need to opt out. if not they should be forced out. Steward had to play 34+ minutes against Japan and she was gassed at the end of the game and had to come out. Fowles coul not make simple layups. You could tell by the players who got the minutes during the Gold Medal game who the coach trusted. Neka O should have been on the team instead of Fowles. she contributed very little.

"Trusted". This wasn't a team where the coach had a few rookies that she couldn't "trust". These were All-Pro/MVP level players she held on the bench. Fowles leads the WNBA in FG%.

That she didn't play 12 deep was 100% about the coach doing a shitty job.

I think most of us here are breathing a sigh of relief that she announced her tenure is over.

PostPosted: 08/09/21 1:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd be concerned about them not getting a young post on this team for 2022. They should really grab McCowan for 2022 if Fowles and Charles are done and if Delle Donne never suits up for Team USA again. After McCowan would be some 2022 prospects in Smith, Austin and Jessica Carter. Aliyah Boston might get a look for the 2024 team.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
pilight

PostPosted: 08/09/21 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dawn Staley should be the NBA’s first woman head coach

https://deadspin.com/dawn-staley-should-be-the-nba-s-first-woman-head-coach-1847450867

Quote:
Staley is the hottest name in coaching

PostPosted: 08/09/21 2:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
Both Fowles and Charles need to opt out. if not they should be forced out. Steward had to play 34+ minutes against Japan and she was gassed at the end of the game and had to come out. Fowles coul not make simple layups. You could tell by the players who got the minutes during the Gold Medal game who the coach trusted. Neka O should have been on the team instead of Fowles. she contributed very little.

Agreed -- Syl and Tina are having great WNBA seasons but each looked sluggish in the Olympics. Syl on offense and Charles on defense.

pilight

PostPosted: 08/09/21 2:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why would anyone think Ogwumike would be any better under Staley than Fowles was?

PostPosted: 08/09/21 3:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I also don't really see why anyone would want to 'grab' McCowan for Team USA. She's spent three years as a pro showing virtually no progression or improvement, and she's still a vastly inferior player to the likes of Fowles. If that's the best option for a new young post, stick with the fogies.

PostPosted: 08/09/21 4:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

in 3 years, paige and sabrina will have played more. and as we have seen TEAM USA doesn't necessarily bring in new players to the program, so regardless of paige's experience, i most certainly think she is on the short list.

Howee

PostPosted: 08/09/21 5:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
I'd be concerned about them not getting a young post on this team for 2022. They should really grab McCowan for 2022 if Fowles and Charles are done and if Delle Donne never suits up for Team USA again. After McCowan would be some 2022 prospects in Smith, Austin and Jessica Carter. Aliyah Boston might get a look for the 2024 team.

Hmmm. Why does no one mention Jonquel Jones? She's talented -- if we're talking in this moment. Who KNOWS who will be healthy and at the top of their game in 2-3 years. I also think kids like Hamby and Laney should be considered over a Collier (after all....she GOT her Olympic medal! Razz Laughing)

PostPosted: 08/09/21 5:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Hmmm. Why does no one mention Jonquel Jones? She's talented -- if we're talking in this moment. Who KNOWS who will be healthy and at the top of their game in 2-3 years. I also think kids like Hamby and Laney should be considered over a Collier (after all....she GOT her Olympic medal! Razz Laughing)

People probably don't mention Jonquel Jones because she isn't American

PostPosted: 08/09/21 5:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Because Jonquel Jones is not and never has been American?

(now with spelling variations)
Libra_Girl

PostPosted: 08/09/21 5:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Uconn fans still wanna tell us there isn’t bias with Geno on the selection team?
"If this is indeed their last Olympics together, winning a gold medal just got a lot harder [for U.S. women's basketball]." As a former team USA coach & a woman bball coach in America he know as well as anyone USA could have sent the b team & still won gold. He really didn’t have be disrespectful to the rest of Team USA in order to compliment Sue & DT on having a great run with USA basketball.

Did he watch the same USA games we did?
https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/31983426/olympics-2021-five-olympic-gold-medalists-sue-bird-diana-taurasi-greatest-teammates-history-sports

Randy

PostPosted: 08/09/21 6:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Howee wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Bosnia should go all out for 3x3. JJones is ideal for 3x3 game. They would only need a few more good players to be a threat to get a medal.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 08/09/21 6:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Queenie wrote:
Howee wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Bosnia should go all out for 3x3. JJones is ideal for 3x3 game. They would only need a few more good players to be a threat to get a medal.

On July 25th Jonquel tweeted, "Manifesting now. Gonna be at the next Olympics." Cool

https://twitter.com/jus242/status/1419266611647746062

Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/09/21 7:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Problem is that Jonquel Jones likely makes a lot of her yearly salary playing for UMMC Ekaterinburg. Assuming FIBA retains the same sort of qualifying system next time around, when is she going to find the time to play in a load of 3x3 tournaments to get enough ranking points to play? Even then Bosnia would still have to qualify.

Anyway, Bosnia finished high enough at EuroBasket this year to make the Worlds qualifiers in the proper game; same level they'd have to finish to make the Olympic qualifying tournaments (assuming the system stays fairly similar).

PostPosted: 08/09/21 8:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Libra_Girl wrote:
Uconn fans still wanna tell us there isn’t bias with Geno on the selection team?

I wonder if Nneka will wait until the W season is over before going on her "Geno robbed me of my rightful position on TEAM USA" diva melodrama sob story tour.

myrtle

PostPosted: 08/09/21 8:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Queenie wrote:
Howee wrote:
toad455 wrote:

true. Bosnia has a pretty good 5x5 team so you would think they could be even better at 3x3.

myrtle

PostPosted: 08/09/21 9:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:
Libra_Girl wrote:

I wonder if Nneka will wait until the W season is over before going on her "Geno robbed me of my rightful position on TEAM USA" diva melodrama sob story tour.

Shocked Wow, where does this hate come from? Nneka is not Parker. She won't need to flaunt that aspect of being left off the team. There are lots of others who are doing it for her. I doubt if she brings it up unless someone directly asks her and I'm guessing she will say something like, "yeah it hurt, but now I'm moving on..." That's pretty much what she's already said.

Libra_Girl

PostPosted: 08/09/21 9:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:
Libra_Girl wrote:

I can see why you like Geno. What does Nneka have do with what Geno said about USA having a harder time winning gold without DT & Sue? Interesting how you crop the rest of what I wrote to take shots at Nneka who actually gave the USA more grace than I would have, especially after blaming her injury while taking a injured player Rolling Eyes Even after that Geno went on Renee M podcast playing a victim about being blamed while admitting he got Asha Jones on the London team smh. But there’s no funny business with the selection committee right? Give me a break.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 08/09/21 11:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:
Libra_Girl wrote:

:shock: Wow, where does this hate come from? Nneka is not Parker. She won't need to flaunt that aspect of being left off the team...

Probably from the same place that your hate of Parker comes from: a black soul. #HateHard Approved!

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 08/10/21 7:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Libra_Girl wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:
Libra_Girl wrote:

I can see why you like Geno. What does Nneka have do with what Geno said about USA having a harder time winning gold without DT & Sue? Interesting how you crop the rest of what I wrote to take shots at Nneka who actually gave the USA more grace than I would have, especially after blaming her injury while taking a injured player Rolling Eyes Even after that Geno went on Renee M podcast playing a victim about being blamed while admitting he got Asha Jones on the London team smh. But there’s no funny business with the selection committee right? Give me a break.

When Geno is coach: "it's the coach's fault".

When Dawn is coach: "it's Geno's fault".

The logic is illuminating. Who hates whom? Laughing

I used the pertinent part of your post as it related to MY post. I don't think that's disingenuous.

Re: Asjha Jones- is what Geno said not true? Did he not ask around for thoughts on who would be able to guard Cambage? Did he lie when saying AJ did in fact basically shut Cambage down in the 2nd half of that game?

If he lied, I take it all back. Otherwise...

scullyfu

PostPosted: 08/10/21 7:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does anyone know if Dawn Staley wore #10 when she played on the national team? Always wondered why Sue didn’t get her #10 & Staley was the best option for the player I could come up with. Thanks.

PostPosted: 08/10/21 7:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:
Does anyone know if Dawn Staley wore #10 when she played on the national team? Always wondered why Sue didn’t get her #10 & Staley was the best option for the player I could come up with. Thanks.

PostPosted: 08/10/21 10:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:

Since somebody already mentioned Parker, we could have had her on the team this year instead of Fowles or Charles, if her USAB career hadn't been torpedoed before Rio.

Good thing we have a big selection of good players to choose from so the coaches can play politics with impunity.

myrtle

PostPosted: 08/10/21 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
myrtle wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:
Libra_Girl wrote:

Shocked Wow, where does this hate come from? Nneka is not Parker. She won't need to flaunt that aspect of being left off the team...

Probably from the same place that your hate of Parker comes from: a black soul. #HateHard Approved!

I totally do not hate Parker, so where does that come from? I thought it a travesty that she was left off Rio. But Nneka and Parker have two totally different personalities and that was my point.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 26 of 27

Jump to: