RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Team USA 2020/2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 09/14/19 8:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ogunbowale isn’t on the talent pool list as far as I can tell.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/14/19 9:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Then they could use both tiff and tiff

Myrtle but did Angel not play because she couldn't/ wouldn't or because it was pointless at the time she was ready

I could see Angel wanting to prove herself as there are so few open spots and I don't think Angel has the same kind of assurances as Bird or DT and if Mone is still just coming off injury she might not want to give up on her Olympic dream either but like Angel and even Charles might have to fight for her spot and showing up to a smaller tourney might be a good way to show dedication and even get in some reps against lesser competition is a good way to keep her name in consideration

Shades

PostPosted: 09/14/19 9:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Apparently they can add players to the talent pool list whenever they want. I just haven’t seen an updated list that includes Ogunbowale. Wouldn’t surprise me to see her show up on the list, considering the season she has had. She certainly deserves to be above KLS.

Randy

PostPosted: 09/14/19 9:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Then they could use both tiff and tiff

Myrtle but did Angel not play because she couldn't/ wouldn't or because it was pointless at the time she was ready

I could see Angel wanting to prove herself as there are so few open spots and I don't think Angel has the same kind of assurances as Bird or DT and if Mone is still just coming off injury she might not want to give up on her Olympic dream either but like Angel and even Charles might have to fight for her spot and showing up to a smaller tourney might be a good way to show dedication and even get in some reps against lesser competition is a good way to keep her name in consideration

J-Spoon - Angel was not medically cleared to play so they just let her do a symbolic start and then did an immediate time out to sub her out. Collen said Angel was not close to being medically cleared at the time. If so, hard to see how a few more weeks would get her ready. Even if she was cleared to play, it seems unlikely she would be in game shape. It is unclear why this was so important to Angel, but I think it was because she is not planning on playing next season for the Dream and this was one last goodbye. I have not inside info - so this is just me speculating on this last part.

toad455

PostPosted: 09/14/19 10:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Heck, we may get twelve players who are currently unemployed and didn't make a roster this WNBA season and USA would still win.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/15/19 8:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Plenty of WNBA players as it turns out, with some college invites sprinkled in for flavour: https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2019/09/wnt-americup-training-roster.aspx

No Ionescu though, which is a shame. I guess she really is concentrating on 3x3.

PostPosted: 09/15/19 9:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Taurasi's likely a scratch due to her hamstring injury. The list will become more clear after today's playoff games.

pilight

PostPosted: 09/15/19 9:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bird & Diggins are not cleared to play

PostPosted: 09/15/19 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Miami Training Camp Roster (Sept 17-19)i
Designated Eight (expanded training program)
Sue Bird (could be out due to WNBA playoffs)
Skylar Diggins-Smith
Sylvia Fowles
Chelsea Gray (could be out due to WNBA playoffs)
Nneka Ogwumike (could be out due to WNBA playoffs)
Diana Taurasi
A’ja Wilson (could be out due to WNBA playoffs)
Elena Delle Donne (out due to WNBA playoffs)

Additional confirmed participants
Jordin Canada (new)(could be out due to WNBA playoffs)
Tina Charles
Napheesa Collier
Diamond DeShields (could be out due to WNBA playoffs)
Stefanie Dolson (could be out due to WNBA playoffs)
Jewell Loyd (could be out due to WNBA playoffs)
Arike Ogunbowale (new)
Kelsey Plum (could be out due to WNBA playoffs)
Katie Lou Samuelson (could be out due to WNBA playoffs)
Khadijah Sessions (familiar practice fodder)
Brittney Sykes
Sydney Wiese (could be out due to WNBA playoffs)
Elizabeth Williams

Additional college players added
Kaila Charles
Mykea Gray
Ruthy Hebard
Olivia Nelson-Ododa
Michaela Onyenwere
Christyn Williams

Players from last talent pool list not on Miami list
Seimone Augustus
Layshia Clarendon
Asia Durr
Allisha Gray
Chelsea Gray
Brittney Griner
Tiffany Hayes
Kayla McBride
Angel McCoughtry
Kelsey Mitchell
Tiffany Mitchell
Maya Moore
Chiney Ogwumike
Nneka Ogwumike
Odyssey Sims
Breanna Stewart (busy with ambassadorship)
Jasmine Thomas
Morgan Tuck

Looks they just removed players from #3-#4 WNBA playoff seeded teams and kept on the players from #5-#6 because they’re betting the lower seeds will get beat. But the fact of the matter it may not happen that way.

And since nobody knows who Sydney Wiese is, they left her on the list despite being on a #3 seeded playoff team.

Last edited by Shades on 09/16/19 7:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
Shades

PostPosted: 09/15/19 10:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Taurasi's likely a scratch due to her hamstring injury. The list will become more clear after today's playoff games.

She should still be there just like Diggins, who is just observing. It’s easy money for both of them.

rykhala

PostPosted: 09/15/19 10:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What about Teaira McCowan? She should probably be brought into the fold with an eye toward FIBA 2022 and beyond.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/15/19 10:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

rykhala wrote:
What about Teaira McCowan? She should probably be brought into the fold with an eye toward FIBA 2022 and beyond.

She might already have an overseas gig lined up that prevented her from being part of this squad whether they wanted her or not. Some players are already with their overseas teams.

PostPosted: 09/16/19 7:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So eliminating anyone still in the playoffs.

Designated Eight (expanded training program)
Sue Bird
Skylar Diggins-Smith
Sylvia Fowles
Diana Taurasi

Additional confirmed participants
Jordin Canada
Tina Charles
Napheesa Collier
Diamond DeShields
Stefanie Dolson
Jewell Loyd
Arike Ogunbowale
Katie Lou Samuelson
Brittney Sykes
Elizabeth Williams

PG: Canada
SG: Loyd/Ogunbowale/Sykes
SF: DeShields/Samuelson
PF: Charles/Collier
C: Fowles/Dolson/Williams
IR: Bird, Diggins-Smith, Taurasi

considering they're already stacked with SG & SF, the only college players I see having a chance are Mykea Gray & either Hebert or Nelson-Ododa if one of the WNBA posts opt not to play or Staley goes with Collier at SF and needs a fifth post.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/16/19 8:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, if Taurasi is fit to play then the squad presumably picks itself - they've got 12 pros left (assuming the players who just got knocked out actually all report). If not, then one of the college kids gets to go.

Samuelson might get more minutes per game for Team USA than she has all season for the Sky.

PostPosted: 09/16/19 5:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In the four seasons since she graduated, has Khadijah Sessions even had a WNBA camp invite? Shocked

PostPosted: 09/16/19 5:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good catch. I thought they just lumped all the college players together, but they snuck her in. Why not just list her with the others?

I guess she’s one of those benefiting from once having Staley as a college coach.

Last edited by Shades on 09/16/19 6:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
toad455

PostPosted: 09/16/19 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
In the four seasons since she graduated, has Khadijah Sessions even had a WNBA camp invite? Shocked

yeah, she's the oddest invite. Doesn't seem like she's played overseas either. Just does a lot of coaching & training camps for teens. Can't really find out anything if she's ever played pro somewhere.

root_thing

PostPosted: 09/16/19 6:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
root_thing wrote:

yeah, she's the oddest invite. Doesn't seem like she's played overseas either. Just does a lot of coaching & training camps for teens. Can't really find out anything if she's ever played pro somewhere.

The announcement says that Sessions played for Kouvot, Finland. However, I checked the Kouvot stats and she was not listed for this past season.

My guess is that she's there to teach Staley's system -- sort of a coach on the court during training camp.

PostPosted: 09/16/19 8:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
toad455 wrote:
root_thing wrote:

The announcement says that Sessions played for Kouvot, Finland. However, I checked the Kouvot stats and she was not listed for this past season.

My guess is that she's there to teach Staley's system -- sort of a coach on the court during training camp.

Those were a magical 7 games, all in 1 month, 3 years ago:
https://www.basket.fi/naisten-korisliiga/ottelut/pelaaja/?season_id=93791&player_id=5326043

Averaging 27 points to start your pro career only to never play again is a pretty good mic drop moment. Or she was playing the long game and really waiting for this moment.
Shades

PostPosted: 09/18/19 4:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight

PostPosted: 09/19/19 1:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gold Medalists Headline USA Women’s AmeriCup Team

https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2019/09/wnt-americup-team-named.aspx

Quote:
Following a three-day training camp in Miami that featured 21 athletes, the USA Basketball Women’s AmeriCup Team was finalized and is headlined by a pair of veterans, Tina Charles (New York Liberty) and Sylvia Fowles (Minnesota Lynx), who have earned a combined nine Olympic and FIBA World Cup gold medals.

The 12-member team that will compete in the FIBA AmeriCup, which will be held Sept. 22-29 in San Juan, Puerto Rico, also includes Jordin Canada (Seattle Storm), Napheesa Collier (Minnesota Lynx), Diamond DeShields (Chicago Sky), Stefanie Dolson (Chicago Sky), Olivia Nelson-Ododa (University of Connecticut), Arike Ogunbowale (Dallas Wings), Katie Lou Samuelson (Chicago Sky), Khadijah Sessions (Kouvot, Finland), Brittney Sykes (Atlanta Dream) and Elizabeth Williams (Atlanta Dream)

PostPosted: 09/19/19 1:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sessions making the squad is mind-boggling.

PostPosted: 09/19/19 2:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

With the past years of mind boggling choices I guess Staley wants her fair share as well. Who's next ? Tiffany Mitchell ?

PostPosted: 09/19/19 3:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

With the past years of mind boggling choices I guess Staley wants her fair share as well. Who's next ? Tiffany Mitchell ?

But Mitchell would be vastly, vastly less ridiculous than Sessions. I'm not sure I ever saw Sessions play, but the numbers say she was mediocre in college, then went undrafted, never made the WNBA and as far as can be found hasn't even been playing professional basketball for the last three years. I know you guys don't really care about international basketball outside of the Olympics, but this is meant to be a major international tournament. It's your equivalent of that EuroBasket thing that we were taking pretty seriously over here a couple of months ago.

I tried to come up with a hypothetical analog from the men's game or other sports but couldn't think of anyone, because they'd all be complete nobodies. Someone who was ordinary in college, wasn't drafted, didn't play for three years, and then made the national team for the championship of the Americas? It's nuts.

PostPosted: 09/19/19 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Did Loyd get hurt or withdraw from consideration?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 3 of 27

Jump to: