RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Team USA 2020/2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 25, 26, 27  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 07/28/19 12:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Toad didn’t give a link to what he’s talking about. Here’s a link. I’ve read it and I’m not entirely sure what it all means.
https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2019/07/expanded-wnt-program-for-2019-20.aspx

I guess it gives those who have retired from overseas basketball, those looking for another option to overseas ball, and those who have never played overseas an option to be active in Team USA and still earn a decent amount of money.

To me on the surface it looks like it helps this special segment of players (notably older veteran players) and hurts newer players coming in by starving them of opportunity. If so, instead of ultimately helping Team USA, could they cause more defections of younger players impatient to forever “wait their turn”?

The Designated Eight
Sue Bird - Retired from overseas ball
Diana Taurasi - Retired from overseas ball
Sylvia Fowles - Probably decided to retire from overseas ball
Elena Delle Donne - Never has played overseas ball
Nneka Ogwumike - Good time to take a break from overseas ball?
A’ja Wilson - Played very little overseas ball (had injury as an excuse but didn’t seem real)
Skylar Diggins-Smith - Never has played overseas ball
Chelsea Gray - Not sure what’s going on here

Quote:
“This was something that, at this point in our careers we know how important it is to have a good, last hurrah and we brainstormed with a couple other players and put together a plan,” Taurasi added. “Carol (Callan) and Jim (Tooley) were very receptive. I think they were actually more excited about the idea than we were. It’s just something that came together literally at dinner on a piece of paper with some crayons.

The cynical side of me says this is something Bird and Taurasi would never have come up with when they were playing overseas themselves because it would have given other players an advantage to making the team. But as it stands now, as long as Bird and Taurasi are considered locks for the 2020 team, they might as well practice together over the winter and earn some money on top of it. The other 6 on the program are most likely virtual locks to make the team if they are healthy, considering the great “sacrifices” they’re making towards Team USA basketball.

Here’s the preliminary talent pool they have listed
Seimone Augustus
Tina Charles
Layshia Clarendon - Who snuck you on this list?
Napheesa Collier
Diamond DeShields
Stefanie Dolson
Asia Durr
Allisha Gray
Brittney Griner
Tiffany Hayes - I thought she was DQ’d but I guess not.
Jewell Loyd
Kayla McBride
Angel McCoughtry - She’s baaaaaasaack!
Kelsey Mitchell
Tiffany Mitchell
Maya Moore - It’s comforting to see her on the list but not so comforting to see her not included as part of special designated players. Will she not be ready to play by the fall? Would she rather play overseas? Is she not coming back at all? What’s going on with Maya? I wonder if she even knows for sure.🤷🏻‍♂️
Chiney Ogwumike
Kelsey Plum
Katie Lou Samuelson - Katie Who Samuelson? Gotta be a dark horse at this point.
Odyssey Sims - Drinks are on her if she makes the team!
Breanna Stewart
Brittney Sykes
Jasmine Thomas
Morgan Tuck - Who snuck you on this list?
Sydney Wiese
Elizabeth Williams

Head Coach
Dawn Staley

Assistant Coaches
Dan Hughes
Cheryl Reeve
Jennifer Rizzotti

National Team Director
Carol Callan

USA Basketball Women’s National Team Player Selection Committee
Katie Smith
Curt Miller - If bench players for the Sun ever make the national team, let me assure you it’s completely coincidental.
Penny Toler - She’s very selective with her own WNBA team. Doesn’t discriminate against felony arrests.

Special Advisor
Geno Auriemma - “My advice: UConn players above all else. Helps keep recruits coming my way.”

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
zune69

PostPosted: 07/28/19 12:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PG: Gray/Sims/Ionescu
SG: McBride/DeShields
SF: Moore/Collier
PF: Delle Donne/Wilson/Ogwumike
C: Griner/Fowles

Question marks:
Bird-Returning from left knee surgery
Taurasi-Returning from back surgery
Stewart-Returning from Achilles tendon surgery
Diggins- Returning from pregnancy
McCoughtry- Returning from ACL surgery
Loyd- Has not looked good since returning from the ankle injury

Last edited by zune69 on 07/28/19 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
RavenDog

PostPosted: 07/28/19 3:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Definitely enough talent. Time to let the younger ones play.

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 07/28/19 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Toad didn’t give a link to what he’s talking about. Here’s a link. I’ve read it and I’m not entirely sure what it all means.
https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2019/07/expanded-wnt-program-for-2019-20.aspx

I guess it gives those who have retired from overseas basketball, those looking for another option to overseas ball, and those who have never played overseas an option to be active in Team USA and still earn a decent amount of money.

To me on the surface it looks like it helps this special segment of players (notably older veteran players) and hurts newer players coming in by starving them of opportunity. If so, instead of ultimately helping Team USA, could they cause more defections of younger players impatient to forever “wait their turn”?

The Designated Eight
Sue Bird - Retired from overseas ball
Diana Taurasi - Retired from overseas ball
Sylvia Fowles - Probably decided to retire from overseas ball
Elena Delle Donne - Never has played overseas ball
Nneka Ogwumike - Good time to take a break from overseas ball?
A’ja Wilson - Played very little overseas ball (had injury as an excuse but didn’t seem real)
Skylar Diggins-Smith - Never has played overseas ball
Chelsea Gray - Not sure what’s going on here

Quote:
“This was something that, at this point in our careers we know how important it is to have a good, last hurrah and we brainstormed with a couple other players and put together a plan,” Taurasi added. “Carol (Callan) and Jim (Tooley) were very receptive. I think they were actually more excited about the idea than we were. It’s just something that came together literally at dinner on a piece of paper with some crayons.

The cynical side of me says this is something Bird and Taurasi would never have come up with when they were playing overseas themselves because it would have given other players an advantage to making the team. But as it stands now, as long as Bird and Taurasi are considered locks for the 2020 team, they might as well practice together over the winter and earn some money on top of it. The other 6 on the program are most likely virtual locks to make the team if they are healthy, considering the great “sacrifices” they’re making towards Team USA basketball.

Here’s the preliminary talent pool they have listed
Seimone Augustus
Tina Charles
Layshia Clarendon - Who snuck you on this list?
Napheesa Collier
Diamond DeShields
Stefanie Dolson
Asia Durr
Allisha Gray
Brittney Griner
Tiffany Hayes - I thought she was DQ’d but I guess not.
Jewell Loyd
Kayla McBride
Angel McCoughtry - She’s baaaaaasaack!
Kelsey Mitchell
Tiffany Mitchell
Maya Moore - It’s comforting to see her on the list but not so comforting to see her not included as part of special designated players. Will she not be ready to play by the fall? Would she rather play overseas? Is she not coming back at all? What’s going on with Maya? I wonder if she even knows for sure.🤷🏻‍♂️
Chiney Ogwumike
Kelsey Plum
Katie Lou Samuelson - Katie Who Samuelson? Gotta be a dark horse at this point.
Odyssey Sims - Drinks are on her if she makes the team!
Breanna Stewart
Brittney Sykes
Jasmine Thomas
Morgan Tuck - Who snuck you on this list?
Sydney Wiese
Elizabeth Williams

Head Coach
Dawn Staley

Assistant Coaches
Dan Hughes
Cheryl Reeve
Jennifer Rizzotti

National Team Director
Carol Callan

USA Basketball Women’s National Team Player Selection Committee
Katie Smith
Curt Miller - If bench players for the Sun ever make the national team, let me assure you it’s completely coincidental.
Penny Toler - She’s very selective with her own WNBA team. Doesn’t discriminate against felony arrests.

Special Advisor
Geno Auriemma - “My advice: UConn players above all else. Helps keep recruits coming my way.”

Some of those comments though Shades Laughing Laughing Laughing

I sincerely hope this is not the last we've seen of Maya Shocked Crying or Very sad

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 07/28/19 3:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
PG: Gray/Sims/Ionescu
SG: McBride/Deshields
SF: Moore/Collier
PF: Delle Donne/Wilson/Ogwumike
C: Griner/Fowles

Question marks:
Bird-Returning from left knee surgery
Taurasi-Returning from back surgery
Stewart-Returning from Achilles tendon surgery
Diggins- Returning from pregnancy
McCoughtry- Returning from ACL surgery
Loyd- Has not looked good since returning from ankle injury

Zune, if this turns out to be Team USA's lineup, I will eat a hat Laughing Laughing

Carol Callan has pretty much said that short of being carried out on a stretcher, Bird and Taurasi will be on this team until they say no.

Not to toot my own horn or anything Laughing

Almost all of the Question turned out to be definites, poor Angel Crying or Very sad if it wasn't for this injury she definitely would've been on the team.

Last edited by Iluvacc on 06/23/21 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
toad455

PostPosted: 07/28/19 4:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I get that Taurasi & Bird want one more gold, but it's time to pass the torch.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
ucbart

PostPosted: 07/28/19 4:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

I knew that I'd come here and read pissing and whining and moaning. I bet those 6 other players are very THANKFUL for Bird and DT.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 07/28/19 4:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
toad455 wrote:

I knew that I'd come here and read pissing and whining and moaning. I bet those 6 other players are very THANKFUL for Bird and DT.

As I imagine is Dawn.

PostPosted: 07/28/19 5:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good thing Bird was still around for the Worlds last year. Clarendon and Plum were both awful as the alternatives, and Staley kept benching whichever she'd seen being terrible most recently.

PostPosted: 07/28/19 6:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Good thing Bird was still around for the Worlds last year. Clarendon and Plum were both awful as the alternatives, and Staley kept benching whichever she'd seen being terrible most recently.

I still can’t figure out how Clarendon and Plum even made the team.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 07/28/19 8:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

That’s the other thing.do we really think there are five or six guards better than Taurasi and Bird?

PostPosted: 07/28/19 8:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

that is a great opportunity for Diggins-Smith, C. Gray and N. Ogwumike. If they show up for all the camps and participate in all the exhibitions it will be almost impossible for them to be left off the team

Bird/C. Gray
DT/Diggins-Smith
EDD
N. Ogwumike/Wilson
Fowles

also can't see Griner, Stewart or Moore being left off the team if they are healthy and want to be there so

Bird/C. Gray
DT/Diggins-Smith
Moore/EDD
Stewart/N. Ogwumike/Wilson
Griner/Fowles

that leaves one spot there is enough flexibility that it could be at any position but wing/guard seems a little more likely

loyalty to previous Olympic teams McCoughtry, Charles, Augustus (These players would really increase their chances if they were invited to and opted into the designated core that stays home in 19/20 and participate in team USA year round).
realistic young wings Collier, Deshields, McBride
loyalty to guard from previous Worlds teams Sims, Loyd, Plum, Clarendon
realistic young guards Ionescu (so far no college kids in the pool if there are any Sabrina probably gets the first call, maybe Carter as well), K. Mitchell, T. Mitchell (if Dawn pulls a Geno).

That is a lot of competition for one spot assuming team USA wouldn't screw over Diggins-Smith, N. Ogwumike or C. Gray for making the long haul commitment.

Or multiple spots if any of the above 11 are injured or withdraw from consideration

I still think Ionescu gets the 12th spot future heir to the PG throne but that is thrown off a little by the inclusion of Gray and Diggins in the group of 8, I wouldn't be surprised to see Charles, McCoughtry, or Augustus get the loyalty nod, Collier, Deshields or the slightly older McBride get the wing in training spot, or Loyd get the she already played in a Worlds and has rapport with Bird and Stewie spot. Everyone else is facing an uphill battle IMO.

WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 07/28/19 10:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

That’s the other thing.do we really think there are five or six guards better than Taurasi and Bird?

I think the key there is that no up and coming guards have been given the chance to make the team and train under the vets which is what happened as Bird and DT were groomed before being fully given the keys.... USAB has had many Olympics to start doing this and have failed to do so. Yes, we need them now on many levels not bc no one what has the talent or ability to do the job, but bc they lack the grooming, preparation and opportunity. How did we end up with Clarendon and Plum? Well players like Sloot and Toliver weren't given the opportunity, so they looked for opportunities elsewhere. They keep cutting Sims and Skylar...and so on... Another issue is having defensive minded players..who will hustle and get steals, etc. like Catch and Angel and then a prolific scoring wing, ala Maya...Those are open challenges they really need to handle. I love what DT and Bird have given to the game and understand that they'd like to ensure that they are the only players with 5 medals.... but I hope they don't do it to the detriment of the future of the team.

ClayK

PostPosted: 07/29/19 10:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just a note: In my personal conversations with Sabrina (to keep Shades pacified), she has not once mentioned the 5x5 and is completely focused on 3x3. Her belief is that her ticket to Tokyo is 3x3, and from what I've gathered from USA Basketball, that's what they want too.

Is it possible she could be on 5x5 team? Sure. But if I were filling out potential rosters, she would not be on my list right now.

PostPosted: 07/29/19 11:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Just a note: In my personal conversations with Sabrina (to keep Shades pacified), she has not once mentioned the 5x5 and is completely focused on 3x3. Her belief is that her ticket to Tokyo is 3x3, and from what I've gathered from USA Basketball, that's what they want too.

Is it possible she could be on 5x5 team? Sure. But if I were filling out potential rosters, she would not be on my list right now.

But -- and I mean this as non-combatively as possible -- didn't you also say your conversations with Sabrina made you believe 100% she would go pro this summer and that she hated being in university?

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 07/29/19 2:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Gray and Diggins-Smith inclusion on the core 8 does make Ionescu on the main team seem much less likely for 2020 IMO. I down graded her from definite to possible and the lack of any college players in the talent pool atm also makes the inclusion less likely.

ClayK

PostPosted: 07/29/19 3:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miller40 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

But -- and I mean this as non-combatively as possible -- didn't you also say your conversations with Sabrina made you believe 100% she would go pro this summer and that she hated being in university?

To clarify: I believed she should go pro, and I thought she probably would.

She does not like school particularly, but due to the chance to play in the Olympics on 3x3 and some other factors, she stayed in school. It was a difficult decision for her, I do know that.

PostPosted: 08/21/19 12:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:

And with the 2020 Olympics around the corner, [McCoughtry] hopes to join the women’s national team in Tokyo next year.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/14/19 11:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

New Mom Skylar Diggins-Smith About to Take the Court with USA Basketball
https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2019/09/wnt-skylar-diggins-smith-feature.aspx

They give a full history of Diggins in this piece, so they’re clearly pumping her up as the future of USAB.... even though nobody’s seen her play since that disappointing 2018 season in Dallas.

Quote:
If Diggins-Smith has any rust from not playing yet this year, she’ll have the opportunity to knock that off beginning this September, when she’ll join the USA Basketball Women’s National Team at training camp ahead of the FIBA AmeriCup. While she won’t be involved in full-court action, nor will she travel to Puerto Rico for the AmeriCup, Diggins-Smith will start to become reacclimated to USA head coach Dawn Staley’s system.

When has she ever been in Dawn Staley’s system, when Staley was assistant coach? The word “reacclimated” is throwing me here.

Quote:
Playing in the Olympic Games is the ultimate international dream for Diggins-Smith, ideally as soon as next year.

“I know my biggest goal is doing that in Tokyo,” she said

Now 29 years old, she plans to play in the WNBA for many more seasons — as Sue Bird often says, “40 is the new 30” — and then perhaps continue in the game, either as a college coach or broadcaster.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/14/19 1:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The AmeriCup starts in eight days, by the way. At some point, USA Basketball probably need to announce an actual squad for it.

PostPosted: 09/14/19 4:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
The AmeriCup starts in eight days, by the way. At some point, USA Basketball probably need to announce an actual squad for it.

They could throw their D team out there and still win. Doubt many WNBA players will be involved.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/14/19 5:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

They could throw their D team out there and still win. Doubt many WNBA players will be involved.

If WNBA players weren't going to be involved, they could've named it months ago. Waiting this long suggests to me they're going to use as many people from the named 34-player pool as possible.

But yes, a bunch of reserves shouldn't have too much trouble, and if they screw it up it's no big deal really anyway. Just weird to have a continental tournament a week away and no clue who's going to be playing in it.

PostPosted: 09/14/19 7:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

If WNBA players weren't going to be involved, they could've named it months ago. Waiting this long suggests to me they're going to use as many people from the named 34-player pool as possible.

But yes, a bunch of reserves shouldn't have too much trouble, and if they screw it up it's no big deal really anyway. Just weird to have a continental tournament a week away and no clue who's going to be playing in it.

If it's mostly WNBA, they may get 12 that are willing to play in the tournament. Anyone involved in the playoffs are out. Might as well throw in players like Ogunbowale, McCowan, Tiffany & Kelsey Mitchell, Tiffany Hayes & Collier.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/14/19 7:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here is a team of w players not currently in playoffs from the pool

Sims/K. Mitchell
DT/Augustus /Ogunbowale
McCoughtty/T.Mitchell or Hayes
Charles/Collier/E. Will
Griner/ Fowles

Or add Mcowan to the pool

Obviously they don't need the big guns but I could see players like Charles , McCoughtty and Augustus wanting to show their dedication and some younger pool players wanting to make a good impression

myrtle

PostPosted: 09/14/19 8:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Here is a team of w players not currently in playoffs from the pool

Sims/K. Mitchell
DT/Augustus /Ogunbowale
McCoughtty/T.Mitchell or Hayes
Charles/Collier/E. Will
Griner/ Fowles

Or add Mcowan to the pool

Obviously they don't need the big guns but I could see players like Charles , McCoughtty and Augustus wanting to show their dedication and some younger pool players wanting to make a good impression

Remember Angel played 3 seconds this year. I doubt she wants to chance a re-injury for this type of tourney. And 'Mone should just plain retire.

- Amanda Gorman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 2 of 27

Jump to: