RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Team USA 2020/2021
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 06/20/19 4:42 pm    ::: Team USA 2020/2021 Reply Reply with quote

Staley will have familiar staff for 2020 Olympics
https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/27018307/staley-familiar-staff-2020-olympics

Quote:
WNBA coaches Cheryl Reeve of Minnesota and Dan Hughes of Seattle, plus college coach Jennifer Rizzotti of George Washington, were named assistants to Staley for the Summer Games in Japan. All were on the U.S. national team's staff last fall when the Americans won the FIBA Women's Basketball World Cup.

Quote:
Team USA will take part in pre-qualifying and qualifying tournaments in November and February, along with an event called AmeriCup in September, which sets seeding for the pre-qualifying tournament.

The AmeriCup will overlap with the end of the WNBA playoffs, so it will involve only players who aren't still competing in the WNBA. Overseas leagues will suspend play for both the pre-qualifying and qualifying tournaments, so all players can participate.

Because the United States is already qualified, these events don't have any impact on the Americans' Olympic status. They are just good opportunities for the U.S. team -- which doesn't have that much training time together -- to compete prior to the Summer Games.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 04/26/20 2:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shades

PostPosted: 06/26/19 10:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My preliminary roster
Bird/Gray
Taurasi/Loyd/McBride
Moore/McCoughtry
Stewart/Delle Donne/Wilson
Griner/Fowles

toad455

PostPosted: 06/26/19 10:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
My preliminary roster
Bird/Gray
Taurasi/Loyd/McBride
Moore/McCoughtry
Griner/Fowles

Bird should be done. Possibly Taurasi, too. Replace Bird with Cloud or Ionescu. Replace Taurasi with Diggins. I wonder if McCoughtry will opt to sit out? Could someone like Collier or Howard replace her?

Diggins/Gray/Cloud or Ionescu
McBride/Loyd
Moore/Collier?
Griner/Fowles

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades

PostPosted: 06/26/19 10:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Bird should be done. Possibly Taurasi, too.

Why do you think Bird’s been hanging on to the WNBA career for so long? She wants that one last Olympics. After that, she’ll probably retire from playing altogether, but who knows. People have been predicting Bird will retire for years. But she does seem to have other things on the plate now.

With Taurasi it’s harder to say when she’ll retire. What else does she have going on? Movie career? Razz

toad455 wrote:
I wonder if McCoughtry will opt to sit out?

So she can sell more ice cream? If she can get back to her former self, I’m not sure why she would sit out.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 06/26/19 11:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Far more likely to still be sitting out is Moore. No real evidence yet that she's actually intending to only take one season off.

PostPosted: 06/26/19 11:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Far more likely to still be sitting out is Moore. No real evidence yet that she's actually intending to only take one season off.

There’s some evidence, like she signed a multi-year contract with the Lynx. If that’s not seen as significant because she can just blow it off, she’s still doing basketball-related promotions.
https://twitter.com/mooremaya/status/1142503878035935232?s=21

ClayK

PostPosted: 06/27/19 9:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ionescu will be playing 3x3, barring disaster.

It has always sounded like Taurasi and Bird plan to play in 2020, again barring disaster. And if anything can get Moore back in the game, it would be a chance to play in another Olympics.

Loyd, McBride and McCoughtry all seem like solid choices, but I think all three will have to play well to make the final roster. Then again, who's going to beat them out?

PostPosted: 06/27/19 2:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

It has always sounded like Taurasi and Bird plan to play in 2020, again barring disaster. And if anything can get Moore back in the game, it would be a chance to play in another Olympics.

Loyd, McBride and McCoughtry all seem like solid choices, but I think all three will have to play well to make the final roster. Then again, who's going to beat them out?

McCoughtry has been on two Olympics teams and still plays a very high level. What is the rationale to think her position on the team isn't safe? She is nothing like Loyd and McBride ...

ClayK

PostPosted: 06/27/19 3:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
ClayK wrote:

McCoughtry has been on two Olympics teams and still plays a very high level. What is the rationale to think her position on the team isn't safe? She is nothing like Loyd and McBride ...

Good point ... but she is coming off a more major injury than either Bird or Taurasi. But you're probably right on that one ...

PostPosted: 06/27/19 4:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Ionescu makes it to the main team as heir apparent to Bird. They've been looking for that person and certainly haven't given it to anyone else.

And I agree that both Bird and DT will do everything in their power to go to one more Olympics and it will be hard to say no to either unless injury makes it truly out of the question.

Bird/Ionescu
DT/Loyd
Moore/EDD
Stewart/Wilson
Griner/Fowles

now the last two spots are a lot harder you'll have the vets of previous teams trying to hold on McCoughtry, Charles and maybe Augustus (they are simply not in the same guaranteed level of say a Catchings, Bird or DT) the in their prime players who seem to keep getting passed over N. Ogwumike, Diggins-Smith, McBride the do we need another PG-ish player? Plum, Gray, Diggins-Smith again and the new blood going to get camp invites and make it harder K. Mitchell (also part of the PG-ish crew), Deshields, Durr, Ogunbowale and Collier.

Right now I am thinking Collier and Gray but won't be surprised at all of it is Charles or McCoughtry, Gray could be the new never going to make it even though they should like Digginns and Ogwumike and with that said it could totally be Diggins and Ogwumike.

toad455

PostPosted: 06/27/19 5:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd say Augustus is all but done and retires at the end of this season.

ClayK

PostPosted: 06/28/19 9:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So I don't want to sound like "Oh I have inside info because I can talk to Sabrina," but the fact is I did talk to her a fair amount because she was at our Miramonte practices. (I even played a little with her on my team ...)

Bottom line: She seems totally locked into the 3x3. Her knee has been bothering her so she hasn't played the recent 3x3 competitions but she said the plan is for her to play the next rounds. (And there's some kind of point system that determines 3x3 eligibility ...)

Of course it could be that they will move her off the 3x3 and into the NT tryouts, but she has never mentioned that as a possibility. Of course, I haven't asked, and she doesn't volunteer a lot of information.

Still, it seems like the plan is to have her play 3x3 because, in part, it gives the US the best chance to win gold in that competition (which they do not dominate as they do in 5x5). Would you rather have her for garbage minutes on a team that should roll to the top of the podium, or playing a big role on a team that might not even get there?

PostPosted: 06/28/19 11:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Unless there’s this new wave that I’m missing, I don’t see the appeal for 3x3 ball. The timing is about right for Ionescu to take the baton from Bird if she’s seen as the future of Team USA. So Spooner could be right. With Taurasi being the first backup to PG anyway, they could take a chance with Ionescu over Gray, Loyd, or McBride. Diggins will be at a disadvantage unless she comes back soon and wows people. Bubble players need to show some recency value. Sims wouldn’t be a good look. She burst her own bubble.

Did Clay gloss over the fact that Ionescu tried out for the 2018 senior national team? She’s already dipped her toe in the pool. She’s staying there.

awhom111

PostPosted: 06/28/19 7:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
So I don't want to sound like "Oh I have inside info because I can talk to Sabrina," but the fact is I did talk to her a fair amount because she was at our Miramonte practices. (I even played a little with her on my team ...)

Bottom line: She seems totally locked into the 3x3. Her knee has been bothering her so she hasn't played the recent 3x3 competitions but she said the plan is for her to play the next rounds. (And there's some kind of point system that determines 3x3 eligibility ...)

Of course it could be that they will move her off the 3x3 and into the NT tryouts, but she has never mentioned that as a possibility. Of course, I haven't asked, and she doesn't volunteer a lot of information.

Still, it seems like the plan is to have her play 3x3 because, in part, it gives the US the best chance to win gold in that competition (which they do not dominate as they do in 5x5). Would you rather have her for garbage minutes on a team that should roll to the top of the podium, or playing a big role on a team that might not even get there?

It is not close to guaranteed that the United States will qualify a 3x3 team on the women's side. Japan gets a team in one of the tournament and it will likely be on the women's side. Another one of the eight spots is reserved for a team that does not have a 5x5 team in the Olympics. They are unlikely to get high enough in the team rankings by then to get an automatic spot and still need to climb a bit to even make it to the qualifying tournament though USA Basketball is clearly trying to rectify that situation.
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 06/28/19 8:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Predictions of college player Ionescu on the Olympic team in 12 months are premature.
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 06/29/19 12:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We will see, but my gut tells me Ionescu was in the 2018 camp to see if she could be the next team USA generational PG. She wasn't ready according to observers, but then went on to have a great college season and win a title.

I am sure she will get the invite to the camps, if she can show enough growth in her game I could easily see her playing with Bird as the passing of the torch, similar to the way a young Bird played with Staley in her first games.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 06/29/19 10:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Predictions of college player Ionescu on the Olympic team in 12 months are premature.

It's really, really not. The Olympic team almost always has someone who has just left college on it.

2004: Taurasi
2008: Parker
2012: -
2016: Stewart

It is highly unlikely to me that Ionescu won't be on the team.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 06/29/19 2:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

It's really, really not. The Olympic team almost always has someone who has just left college on it.

Predictions that Ionescu is in the same zip code as Taurasi, Parker and Stewart are premature.
PUmatty

PostPosted: 06/29/19 2:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Predictions that Ionescu is in the same zip code as Taurasi, Parker and Stewart are premature.

That was, of course, not what has been said. Why do you need to mischaracterize to make your point?

Shades

PostPosted: 06/29/19 2:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Not nearly as outrageous as Tuck and Clarendon making the World Cup team. Plum?

toad455

PostPosted: 07/28/19 7:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So we have 8 locked in for 2020 and this offseason "tour".

Sue Bird
EDD
Diana Taurasi
Chelsea Gray
Sylvia Fowles
Nneka Ogwumike
A’ja Wilson
Skylar Diggins-Smith

Who else does the league get to stay home this offseason instead of going overseas for a bigger paycheck? I can see them getting Stewart on board plus possibly Tina Charles. There could be some fillers that may not make the Olympic team. Griner likely goes overseas. Maybe Loyd? McBride?

PG: Bird/Diggins
SG: Gray/Loyd/McBride
SF: Taurasi/Delle Donne
PF: Ogwumike/Stewart/Wilson
C: Fowles/Charles

Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/28/19 8:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I would point out that they haven't said those eight are in, just that those are the ones who'll be the core people sticking around for all five training camp windows from November 2019-April 2020. They're obviously going to have a leg up, but they aren't definite selections yet. And the whole point is that other players can come in and out as their schedules allow, not that they're going to find a few others to just complete the group.

By the way, players not in the current extended pool include:
C.Williams
A.Thomas
Atkins
Cloud
G.Williams
McCowan
J.Young
Parker
Howard
and any college players (Ionescu, Cox etc.)

Some interesting omissions there.

PostPosted: 07/28/19 11:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Presumably the same doesn't apply to the 3x3 teams, and obviously college players can't be paid. (Remind me again why that's true. And remind me why a college coach can be paid for time spent working for USA Basketball when her adult players can't.)

It is interesting, though, and a good move. For most of those players, however, even the $100,000 is a significant pay cut. It's hard to leave tens of thousands of dollars on the table when your window for earning that much is so short.

PostPosted: 07/28/19 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
So we have 8 locked in for 2020 and this offseason "tour".

Sue Bird
EDD
Diana Taurasi
Chelsea Gray
Sylvia Fowles
Nneka Ogwumike
A’ja Wilson
Skylar Diggins-Smith

Who else does the league get to stay home this offseason instead of going overseas for a bigger paycheck? I can see them getting Stewart on board plus possibly Tina Charles. There could be some fillers that may not make the Olympic team. Griner likely goes overseas. Maybe Loyd? McBride?

PG: Bird/Diggins
SG: Gray/Loyd/McBride
SF: Taurasi/Delle Donne
PF: Ogwumike/Stewart/Wilson
C: Fowles/Charles

Seems like a solid twelve, but no Maya? Shocked

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 07/28/19 12:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
For what it's worth, I would point out that they haven't said those eight are in, just that those are the ones who'll be the core people sticking around for all five training camp windows from November 2019-April 2020. They're obviously going to have a leg up, but they aren't definite selections yet.

It would appear that Gray and Diggins-Smith are in the driver's seat with extra time to be mentored by Bird and Taurasi.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 1 of 27

Jump to: