RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Yesterday's Stars In Their Prime In Today's League?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Genero36

PostPosted: 06/12/19 1:00 pm    ::: Yesterday's Stars In Their Prime In Today's League? Reply Reply with quote

How do you think the following stars would fare in a today's 12-team league where there isn't any watered down talent? Would they still be MVP's, All-WNBA, All-Stars or less than? What is your opinion for each player?

Janeth Arcain
Ruthie Bolton-Holifield
Sandy Brondello
Vicky Bullett
Cynthia Cooper
Tamecka Dixon
Yolanda Griffith
Chamique Holdsclaw
Lauren Jackson
Lisa Leslie
Mwade Mabika
DeLisha Milton-Jones
Nikki McCray
Deanna Nolan
Ticha Penicheiro
Tari Phillips
Brandy Reed
Nykesha Sales
Katie Smith
Andrea Stinson
Sheryl Swoopes
Michelle Timms
Tina Thompson
Teresa Weatherspoon
Natalie Williams

PostPosted: 06/12/19 9:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, Yo Griffith has been "reincarnated" as Jonquel Jones, so I'm sure she'd look a lot like that.

They appear to be trying to change their culture and playing style, but Prime!Ticha would have been a godsend for the #RWTD-era Atlanta Dream. Put Ticha on that squad, and they would have led the league in scoring, while still being DFL in three-point shooting.

Lisa Leslie was kind of like Tina Charles, except better at everything, and Holdsclaw was a bigger, stronger Maya Moore. Of the others, Swoopes, Jackson, Nolan and Thompson's games would translate to the modern WNBA most seamlessly. Thompson, in particular, managed to be an adequate player, late into her career, against many of the modern players, so I definitely feel like she could have played in this era, in her prime.

I don't have a good handle on Cooper because, not only did I never see her play in her prime, but she was pretty much retired by the time any of the good young players showed up. I mean, she was dominant in the formative years of the league, but she was almost exclusively playing against other women her age. You want to believe that the all-time greats would be great, in any era, so she probably would have been but, for some reason, I can't visualize it.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
SDHoops

PostPosted: 06/12/19 9:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
Well, Yo Griffith has been "reincarnated" as Jonquel Jones, so I'm sure she'd look a lot like that.

Ummm...Jones is a versatile player and she can play the perimeter and mid-range. Two different skill sets. In terms of rebounding prowess yes, finishing at the rim and power moves would be the similarities. Jones could take a defender out to the three point line and actually be a threat. Yo was one of the best in the paint, taking on defenders like Leslie and Dydek on a nightly basis so props for that! Jones is a whole new beast..

pilight

PostPosted: 06/12/19 10:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stars will always be stars.

Somebody like Timms, who wasn't really a star in the W, would have trouble.

PostPosted: 06/12/19 10:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Swoopes would still dominate both ends. No discussion to be had. Planet Reed i think would have benfitted more with exposure using her skillset back then today minus the you know what. She could have been the next Rasheed Wallace if that's a compliment.

PostPosted: 06/12/19 10:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:

Ummm...Jones is a versatile player and she can play the perimeter and mid-range. Two different skill sets. In terms of rebounding prowess yes, finishing at the rim and power moves would be the similarities. Jones could take a defender out to the three point line and actually be a threat. Yo was one of the best in the paint, taking on defenders like Leslie and Dydek on a nightly basis so props for that! Jones is a whole new beast..

:: snorts derisively ::

Presumably, if Yolanda Griffith had been in her prime during this era, then she would have been taught to play basketball the same way that Jonquel Jones was taught to play basketball, as opposed to how she was taught to play basketball. Griffith had all the ability, and you can either believe it, or don't.

Like, seriously, when these sorts of hypotheticals come around, are the people who make replies like this assuming that these players are just plucked out of history, like in Bill and Ted, as opposed to spending their youths learning how to play the same way that players are taught now, with access to the same training, science, resources, etc.?

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 06/12/19 11:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Swoopes would still dominate both ends. No discussion to be had. Planet Reed i think would have benfitted more with exposure using her skillset back then today minus the you know what. She could have been the next Rasheed Wallace if that's a compliment.

Depends on what you mean by "the next Rasheed Wallace." Sheed had Hall of Fame talent: he just didn't have that "I want to cut your heart out, and eat it in front of you" mentality. When Sheed was motivated, he was the male Lauren Jackson.

So, when you say "the next Rasheed Wallace," did you mean it like that, or more the "got so many technicals in one season, they had to change the rule" Sheed?

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 06/13/19 2:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Stars will always be stars.

Somebody like Timms, who wasn't really a star in the W, would have trouble.

Ok, I will take your bait. Timmsy would have no trouble whatsoever.
She was a great leader, she read the game well, also an excellent defender and she could score. I can't imagine that someone who was a WNBA All Star back in the day would struggle today, especially if she got to play in her prime which unfortunately she was unable to do in the WNBA since it only started late in her career.
She would still be a starter in today's WNBA. I'd happily take her & Brondello over Phoenix's current starters.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: