RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

Jon Stewart testifies for September 11 Victim Compensation

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Genero36



Joined: 24 Apr 2005
Posts: 9741



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/11/19 12:43 pm    ::: Jon Stewart testifies for September 11 Victim Compensation Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
You should be ashamed of yourselves, but you won't be.


<embed><iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/iQkMJgaHAkY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

https://youtu.be/iQkMJgaHAkY



_________________
I'm all for the separation of church and hate.
mercfan3



Joined: 23 Nov 2004
Posts: 18521



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/11/19 1:45 pm    ::: Re: Jon Stewart testifies for September 11 Victim Compensati Reply Reply with quote

Every member of the Democratic sub comittee was there. Plenty of Republicans missing.

96% of Democrats have sponsored this bill.
38% of Republicans have

and his point, that congress (Republicans) can't simply vote on and approve a bill that a majority of the country agrees on without poisoning it.

On another note, Jon Stewart remains a national treasure. Even when I disagree with his view points, I understand why he has his views. He's been fighting this fight for a long time.



_________________
“Anyone point out that a Donald Trump anagram is ‘Lord Dampnut’”- Colin Mochrie
Genero36



Joined: 24 Apr 2005
Posts: 9741



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/13/19 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<embed><iframe width="731" height="411" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/EIJ3V7KW2gs" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

https://youtu.be/EIJ3V7KW2gs



_________________
I'm all for the separation of church and hate.
Genero36



Joined: 24 Apr 2005
Posts: 9741



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/13/19 2:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<embed><iframe width="731" height="599" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1Q7LBBj39zc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q7LBBj39zc



_________________
I'm all for the separation of church and hate.
cthskzfn



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 11823
Location: In a world where a dbag like Trump isn't potus.


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/13/19 9:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

His "both sides do it" routine is bs.



_________________
Silly, stupid white people might be waking up.
Howee



Joined: 27 Nov 2009
Posts: 12052
Location: OREGON (in my heart)


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/13/19 9:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I believe PBS reported that 12 of the 14 Committee members that NEEDED to be there, were. And it was passed, apparently, so it's a good ending. But yeah....it's something that America needed to see, the general apathy in Congress on such an important concern.

Yeah, I personally wish JON was running for Prez. Cool



_________________
Oregon: Go Ducks!
mercfan3



Joined: 23 Nov 2004
Posts: 18521



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/13/19 10:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
His "both sides do it" routine is bs.


Honestly, it wasn't that much of a "both sides" speech. Pretty sure we know who that "certain individual" is.

I'm guessing he doesn't want to get into politics, because he honestly just cares about getting these people healthcare funding. He has apparently become very close friends with many of them, including quite a few who have passed away because of health issues.

It's personal, and he wants congress to take it personally.

Jon remains 1 of 2 white guys I'd make my number one choice for President. And that idea goes against everything that I usually believe politically. Laughing (Mr. Chris Murphy being one of the only young democrats to sit this election cycle out...)



_________________
“Anyone point out that a Donald Trump anagram is ‘Lord Dampnut’”- Colin Mochrie
cthskzfn



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 11823
Location: In a world where a dbag like Trump isn't potus.


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/14/19 10:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
His "both sides do it" routine is bs.


Honestly, it wasn't that much of a "both sides" speech. Pretty sure we know who that "certain individual" is.

I'm guessing he doesn't want to get into politics, because he honestly just cares about getting these people healthcare funding. He has apparently become very close friends with many of them, including quite a few who have passed away because of health issues.

It's personal, and he wants congress to take it personally.

Jon remains 1 of 2 white guys I'd make my number one choice for President. And that idea goes against everything that I usually believe politically. Laughing (Mr. Chris Murphy being one of the only young democrats to sit this election cycle out...)



his DC rally was all about "both sides do it". that may have been a few years ago, but look where "both sides do it" has landed us.

i like jon a LOT, and agree with 99.99% of his opinions, it seems, but when he pulled that bs in DC, it left me wondering wtf he was thinking.

he did a major disservice with that, imo.



_________________
Silly, stupid white people might be waking up.
Howee



Joined: 27 Nov 2009
Posts: 12052
Location: OREGON (in my heart)


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/14/19 10:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hmmm.

I certainly didn't come away from Jon's event from back then with THAT as his major theme: I thought he wisely framed the Need for Reform on the fact that All/Most of Government is badly damaged and--yes!--it's a bipartisan problem. And if he (or anyone) wants to bring focus onto "that certain someone" and his minions, one is best served by the starting point that it's not necessarily just a Republican flaw: Dems have shit on their hands, too. THEN, he could zero in on the most egregious Shit du Jour.

I don't see how anything Jon stood for might have promoted whatever negatives we have now.



_________________
Oregon: Go Ducks!
cthskzfn



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 11823
Location: In a world where a dbag like Trump isn't potus.


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/15/19 9:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"both sides do it" leads to ignorance and apathy.

ignorance, apathy (and rigging) allowed 2016.

i'm not laying it all Stewart's feet- that would be silly.

I'm saying he took, surprisingly to me, the lazy, irresponsible route in DC.



_________________
Silly, stupid white people might be waking up.
mercfan3



Joined: 23 Nov 2004
Posts: 18521



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/15/19 10:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
His "both sides do it" routine is bs.


Honestly, it wasn't that much of a "both sides" speech. Pretty sure we know who that "certain individual" is.

I'm guessing he doesn't want to get into politics, because he honestly just cares about getting these people healthcare funding. He has apparently become very close friends with many of them, including quite a few who have passed away because of health issues.

It's personal, and he wants congress to take it personally.

Jon remains 1 of 2 white guys I'd make my number one choice for President. And that idea goes against everything that I usually believe politically. Laughing (Mr. Chris Murphy being one of the only young democrats to sit this election cycle out...)



his DC rally was all about "both sides do it". that may have been a few years ago, but look where "both sides do it" has landed us.

i like jon a LOT, and agree with 99.99% of his opinions, it seems, but when he pulled that bs in DC, it left me wondering wtf he was thinking.

he did a major disservice with that, imo.


I can’t stand the “both sides do it” argument, and agree with you that it’s dangerous.

However, I think Jon’s take is different (although, I’m not 100% sure I agree with is either.) Jon’s fight has always been the American people vs the crazy 24 hour news networks. He thinks the media has created a polarization that really doesn’t exist, and that’s Americans in general just want a functioning government and what is best for everyone. I remember him talking about Trump supporters, and how the media has been constantly pushing an xenophobic agenda..and if you keep telling people that brown people are coming to take their jobs, rape their daughters and steal their stuff..of course “build a wall” makes sense.

I don’t necessarily agree. I think foxnews and right wing media push this agenda outwardly because racism is effective in this country, and always has been. That says just as much about the the American people as it does the media. Liberal media goes out of its way to be “unbiased” instead of accurate- and much of it is owned by wealthy right wingers anyway.

I think throughout his time on air, he’s made it clear who he thinks is right, but also isn’t afraid to criticize the left when called for. Which is okay because his criticisms are honest and accurate most of the time - although not so much with his criticism of Clinton. He’s not a politician, he’s a court jester.



_________________
“Anyone point out that a Donald Trump anagram is ‘Lord Dampnut’”- Colin Mochrie
cthskzfn



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 11823
Location: In a world where a dbag like Trump isn't potus.


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/18/19 7:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="800" height="448" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ICnUJl0t0Xw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>



_________________
Silly, stupid white people might be waking up.
Genero36



Joined: 24 Apr 2005
Posts: 9741



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/17/19 6:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rand Paul stops unanimous passage of 9/11 first responders funding bill

Quote:
(CNN)Republican Sen. Rand Paul objected Wednesday to an attempt to pass the bill funding 9/11 first responders' health care unanimously, arguing that passing such a long-term bill without offsetting the cost would contribute to the national debt.


Quote:
"It has long been my feeling that we need to address our massive debt in this country -- we have a $22 trillion debt, we're adding debt at about a trillion dollars a year," he said. "And therefore any new spending that we are approaching, any new program that's going to have the longevity of 70, 80 years, should be offset by cutting spending that's less valuable."

"We need to at the very least have this debate. I will be offering up an amendment if this bill should come to the floor, but until then I will object," added Paul, who voted in favor of President Donald Trump's $1.5 trillion tax cut. That tax cut is helping drive a deficit increase.


https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/17/politics/rand-paul-objects-9-11-funding-unanimous-consent-gillibrand/index.html



_________________
I'm all for the separation of church and hate.
Genero36



Joined: 24 Apr 2005
Posts: 9741



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/18/19 10:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<embed><iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/g36ikA95NYs" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g36ikA95NYs



_________________
I'm all for the separation of church and hate.
GlennMacGrady



Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 5670
Location: Heisenberg


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/19/19 12:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow, very effective testimony and advocacy by Stewart.

Rand Paul is making a reasonable point: spending is still out of control. I suspect he's choosing this bill raise the issue because he knows his opposition won't really affect the uncontroversial and inevitable outcome. It will just delay things for a short while for a vote, but will perhaps be a little reminder to everyone that they should become more fiscally responsible when the really big and controversial spending bills come due.
PUmatty



Joined: 10 Nov 2004
Posts: 14797
Location: Chicago


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/19/19 8:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Wow, very effective testimony and advocacy by Stewart.

Rand Paul is making a reasonable point: spending is still out of control. I suspect he's choosing this bill raise the issue because he knows his opposition won't really affect the uncontroversial and inevitable outcome. It will just delay things for a short while for a vote, but will perhaps be a little reminder to everyone that they should become more fiscally responsible when the really big and controversial spending bills come due.


I tend to agree. I think these people should vote for everything. Go on the record. Get your asses to the Senate floor. Actually consider things and do your job.

That said, at least in this article, Paul doesn't point to the cut that should be made to offset the spending. That's too much of playing it both ways and indicates to me that he isn't really serious about any of this. Have the guts to propose what should be cut and then make an argument for it.


cthskzfn



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 11823
Location: In a world where a dbag like Trump isn't potus.


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/19/19 9:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seriously? Rolling Eyes

Tax cuts weighted heavily in favor of the wealthy and add more than a trillion to the debt- ok.

Aid for those folks (assured by Todd-Whitman the air was safe) who helped in the aftermath of the greatest foreign attack on civilians on US soil- invoke fiscal responsibility.

Standard #OutlawGOP practice.



_________________
Silly, stupid white people might be waking up.
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin