WAS
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
No team
38%
 38%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 34

Shades

PostPosted: 05/26/20 10:44 pm    ::: Which team will pick up Mompremier? Reply Reply with quote

Which team will pick up Mompremier?

1-day poll.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Stormeo

PostPosted: 05/27/20 12:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The pessimist in me voted "No team".
Too, the pessimist in me believes that coaches & GMs in this League don't really care about or value rookies beyond the first round, if even that.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 05/27/20 2:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It is so delicious that Brewer was drafted ahead of Mompremier. She also made the final cut for her team and Mompremier did not. Everyone that stated that I made a colossal mistake on my 2020 fantasy draft can eat a giant pot of crow stew! Laughing Laughing Cool

PostPosted: 05/27/20 9:45 am    ::: Re: Which team will pick up Mompremier? Reply Reply with quote

Here's the issue: There is no reason that any team would cut a player they drafted before Mompremier in order to pick up Mompremier.

In a normal year, you would have camp and a game or two or three to judge rookies. You might see that a player you liked isn't working out or a player you didn't draft is showing more than you expected. But this year, there is no chance for any player to show you anything that you didn't expect (good or bad). Which means that Mompremier (or any other rookie) has done nothing to change what you think she will provide your team.

So, take a team like Indiana. I would love to see them cut Doyle and pick up Mompremier off of waivers (mostly because I am still baffled by the drafting of Doyle). Because I think thinks she is better than Doyle. But the Fever could have drafter Mompremier instead of Doyle, so they obviously think Doyle is better. There's no reason they would have changed their mind in the past month.

Every year folx get excited by the idea of the waiver wire filling out rosters, and every year hardly an personnel moves come that way. This year, expected it to be even less of a thing.

Last edited by PUmatty on 05/27/20 10:41 am; edited 1 time in total
toad455

PostPosted: 05/27/20 10:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Minnesota is also short on post players. I can see them cutting Carleton and picking up Mompremier.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
ClayK

PostPosted: 05/27/20 10:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I understand the desperation to talk about something, anything, but a poll on Beatrice Mompremier?

Nice rebounder, 52% shooter against smaller players around the rim, horrid A/TO (41/150 at Miami), mediocre FT shooter. If she's playing big minutes for a WNBA team, that team is in big trouble.

PostPosted: 05/27/20 10:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Other than the first four picks, the rest of the draft was a big pot of crow stew for most people who did mock drafts. Regardless of who is right or wrong, it’s clear that fans and the media were out of sync with WNBA scouts. The fact that Mompremier fell to #20 tells us a lot. If we dig a little deeper, you see the following:

1. New York passed on Mompremier 5 times in the draft – 6 if you include the Willoughby trade.

2. Dallas passed 3 times – 4 if you include the Anigwe trade. The Wings opted for what is expected to be a low 2nd Round pick in a weak draft rather than take Mompremier in return.

3. Indiana passed on Mompremier twice.

4. Atlanta passed twice.

5. Minnesota passed twice. They could arguably use another true post player, but the Lynx do have four bigger than average wing players in Collier, Herbert-Harrigan, KCK, and Zandalisini.

6. Chicago passed once, but they already have four veteran post players (Dolson, Lavender, Parker, Stevens) who are better.

7. Phoenix passed twice.

8. Seattle passed twice.

9. Los Angeles took Mompremier, but waived her. OK, she didn’t fit under the salary cap, but according to Richyyy’s numbers that was by only $750. If WNBA players are being paid on June 1 based on the CBA, then I assume it’s for the pay period to start the season -- May 15 through May 31. That means if LA really likes Mompremier, all they have to do is cut her and then re-sign Beatrice on June 1. It’s not a big deal. With no games and no practices, the team wouldn’t miss her at all. Instead, the Sparks decided to trade for Anigwe. What does that tell you?

10. Washington did not have a chance to draft Mompremier. However, they already have five veteran post players (Meeseman, Charles, Sanders, EDD, Hawkins) who are better.

11. Connecticut did not have a chance to draft Mompremier. They could arguably use another post player, but CT already has a 12 player roster. I don’t see an obvious person they could cut to make room for Beatrice. Charles is the only rookie, but it looks to me like Miller will try to use Kaila at SG where they’re currently short. Replacing Charles with Mompremier would create a severe shortage of backcourt options.

12. Las Vegas did not have a chance to draft Mompremier. The Aces only have 11 players, so this looks like the most likely landing spot for Beatrice. However, as others have noted, LVA went a large portion of last season with only 11 players. With Hamby taking up most of the backup minutes behind Cambage and Wilson, and old favorite Carolyn Swords providing an additional big body, there is no pressing need for another big right now (especially with no games or practices). I can see Laimbeer just leaving the spot unfilled and keeping his options open for later.

PostPosted: 05/27/20 11:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mompremier probably should have entered the 2019 draft. Her 2019 season at Miami was quite good. Her injury last season really seemed to plummet her stock.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Stormeo

PostPosted: 05/27/20 11:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
I understand the desperation to talk about something, anything, but a poll on Beatrice Mompremier?

It’s not like we’ll have a whole lot to talk about for at least the next month if not longer so why not? Laughing

toad455 wrote:
Mompremier probably should have entered the 2019 draft. Her 2019 season at Miami was quite good. Her injury last season really seemed to plummet her stock.

How was she supposed to know she’d be injured for half of her senior year?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/27/20 11:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:

9. Los Angeles took Mompremier, but waived her. OK, she didn’t fit under the salary cap, but according to Richyyy’s numbers that was by only $750. If WNBA players are being paid on June 1 based on the CBA, then I assume it’s for the pay period to start the season -- May 15 through May 31. That means if LA really likes Mompremier, all they have to do is cut her and then re-sign Beatrice on June 1. It’s not a big deal. With no games and no practices, the team wouldn’t miss her at all. Instead, the Sparks decided to trade for Anigwe. What does that tell you?

They'd presumably have to wait ten days as we've seen in the past when teams do the cut-and-re-sign thing, but the salary wouldn't be an issue once she cleared waivers. Then she could sign for the actual minimum of 57k, so the numbers wouldn't be against her any more. I guess they could be intending to do that and only kept Gulich as insurance against the possibility that someone would claim Mompremier, but it seems unlikely.

PostPosted: 05/27/20 11:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was just about to mention, if a team was interested in Mompremier they would’ve just drafted her but Root beat me to it. I’m not sure why we are making a fuss about who should pick her up when the draft really was indicative of how teams viewed her since they opted to pass on multiple occasions.

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 05/27/20 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Minnesota is also short on post players. I can see them cutting Carleton and picking up Mompremier.

Nope, Dallas cuts Meagan and picks her up...atleast that's what I'm hoping for🤓

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 05/27/20 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Other than the first four picks, the rest of the draft was a big pot of crow stew for most people who did mock drafts. Regardless of who is right or wrong, it’s clear that fans and the media were out of sync with WNBA scouts. The fact that Mompremier fell to #20 tells us a lot. If we dig a little deeper, you see the following:

1. New York passed on Mompremier 5 times in the draft – 6 if you include the Willoughby trade.

2. Dallas passed 3 times – 4 if you include the Anigwe trade. The Wings opted for what is expected to be a low 2nd Round pick in a weak draft rather than take Mompremier in return.

3. Indiana passed on Mompremier twice.

4. Atlanta passed twice.

5. Minnesota passed twice. They could arguably use another true post player, but the Lynx do have four bigger than average wing players in Collier, Herbert-Harrigan, KCK, and Zandalisini.

6. Chicago passed once, but they already have four veteran post players (Dolson, Lavender, Parker, Stevens) who are better.

7. Phoenix passed twice.

8. Seattle passed twice.

10. Washington did not have a chance to draft Mompremier. However, they already have five veteran post players (Meeseman, Charles, Sanders, EDD, Hawkins) who are better.

11. Connecticut did not have a chance to draft Mompremier. They could arguably use another post player, but CT already has a 12 player roster. I don’t see an obvious person they could cut to make room for Beatrice. Charles is the only rookie, but it looks to me like Miller will try to use Kaila at SG where they’re currently short. Replacing Charles with Mompremier would create a severe shortage of backcourt options.

12. Las Vegas did not have a chance to draft Mompremier. The Aces only have 11 players, so this looks like the most likely landing spot for Beatrice. However, as others have noted, LVA went a large portion of last season with only 11 players. With Hamby taking up most of the backup minutes behind Cambage and Wilson, and old favorite Carolyn Swords providing an additional big body, there is no pressing need for another big right now (especially with no games or practices). I can see Laimbeer just leaving the spot unfilled and keeping his options open for later.

Damn...damn!!!

Randy

PostPosted: 05/27/20 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lots of teams passed on Mompremier, but a lot of teams passed on Russell too, so who knows. It does seem her injury lowered her stock quite a bit, but maybe it was never very high to begin with.

root_thing

PostPosted: 05/27/20 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Russell at least had the benefit of being a decent athlete who is bigger than average at 6-6. I'm not sure what is Mompremier's attention-getting trait that would catch someone's fancy.

PostPosted: 05/27/20 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Lots of teams passed on Mompremier, but a lot of teams passed on Russell too, so who knows. It does seem her injury lowered her stock quite a bit, but maybe it was never very high to begin with.

I remember watching the highlight reel Shades linked on the Mock Draft thread that the ACC Network put together for her and several other ACC prospects. Out of the almost-ten of them, Mompremier’s was the one of maybe two reels where I came out being lower on her than I was going into the reel. She doesn’t really seem particularly skilled offensively; and at 6’4, she’s going to have a harder time bullying her way to the cup to score or crash the glass being a more average height for a post player than a particularly big/tall one. Still, I wouldn’t have guessed late-second-round placement for her. And if someone like Reshanda Gray can carve out a few seasons in the League, Mompremier at the very least is just a bigger version of her imo...

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/27/20 2:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I originally thought Mompremier was taller than she is. I remembered that when she and Brown arrived at Baylor they were being touted as twin towers. But I think in reality even the 6'4" is a stretch. I don't see her having the aggression of Gray. I think Gray would play rings around her.

- Amanda Gorman
bluedevilaztecfan5

PostPosted: 05/27/20 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Russell at least had the benefit of being a decent athlete who is bigger than average at 6-6. I'm not sure what is Mompremier's attention-getting trait that would catch someone's fancy.

She does seem strong and gets boards....and is good at using her elbows on offense? Laughing

blaase22

PostPosted: 05/27/20 10:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

Would be very smart thing to do, so doubt Reeve does it.

Shades

PostPosted: 06/01/20 10:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’m still confused about Mompremier and I’ll stay confused until maybe some GM’s offer up an explanation. Bad medical report? I’m sure Wasserman is confused too.
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KhPXW_FbKeY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

myrtle

PostPosted: 06/01/20 11:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hard to evaluate. I didn't see her much during the year. She looks fabulous on the highlight reel, but then that is what highlight reels are for. The other thing I noticed was the opponents in the highlights. Starts out very early in the year against OrSU's freshmen posts, and most of the rest are against the worst teams in their conference. I think there was also only one shot from further than 3 feet from the basket. It would be good to see how she looked against the better teams or at least those with decent size. She at least looks mobile but that push shot is pretty weird. I'm guessing if she does well overseas she'll get a look in the league at some point.

- Amanda Gorman
Shades

PostPosted: 06/01/20 1:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.courant.com/sports/hc-sp-wnba-rookie-class-20200530-20200601-r4i2c43nofckvbitmoaedcpnca-story.html

Quote:
As free agents, waived players can also be signed by a different team than the one that drafted them. And Lobo offers a potential long-term silver lining: No longer tied to salaries based on draft position, waived draftees who prove themselves overseas may be able to demand more money next season and have more say over which team they play for. One player who came to mind for Lobo as well-positioned for this was Miami’s Beatrice Mompremier, the No. 20 overall pick who was cut by Los Angeles.

ClayK

PostPosted: 06/01/20 1:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Watched highlight tape ...

First, just one outside shot shown, and she shot 52.1% overall -- this tells me she's not very efficient close to the rim, as it appears that's where most of her shots come from. At her size, in that league, she should have a higher shooting percentage.

Second, she's fast, athletic and physical (or at least is physical in the highlights -- some players are only intermittently physical). These are all positives, and all three are WNBA level.

Third, limited set of moves. She heavily favors going left, or to her right shoulder with her back to the basket. She can go right, but dribbles to do so, which will tougher in the WNBA. Again, no outside shot, but will pump fake and go baseline to the hoop. It's hard to see her scoring much in the W, as evidence suggests she's not a great shooter, and she doesn't have a lot of ways to score.

Fourth, the stats say she's a bad passer, and her "highlight" passes weren't that outstanding.

Fifth, looks like a competent shotblocker for her size, but again, she'll be dealing with a different level of shooter in the W.

Sixth, only one pick-and-roll was shown, and she botched it, rolling slowly and with improper footwork.

So, an athletic post who doesn't shoot well, passes poorly, doesn't have a jumper, apparently unfamiliar with the pick-and-roll and with limited post moves. Rebounding and shotblocking are average. Hard to say how she would do defensively against WNBA posts on the block.

Comp: Reshanda Gray and a host of other marginal WNBA post players.

Could she develop? Of course. Add a 15-footer and she moves up the ladder. If she can learn the pick-and-roll, same thing. And if she's an above-average on-the-block defender, even better.

Right now, though, she looks pretty fungible ...

PostPosted: 06/01/20 2:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I didn't see Mompremier a lot, but it seemed like she shot and made more mid-range jumpers as a junior. Besides being slowed by the injury, I think she really missed Emese Hof. Hof did a lot of good things (14.2 ppg, 8.3 rpg) to draw attenton away from Beatrice. On the defensive end, Hof blocked twice as many shots (69 to 34) to lighten the defensive burden too.

PostPosted: 06/01/20 3:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Highlight tape or not , we can dissect Brewer , Hebard , and any other post taken before Beatrice and come to the same conclusions. No doubt in my mind shes one of the better posts in this class . I think the injury scared teams away , hopefully a year over seas proves her worth .

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: