RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Memorial Day 2019

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard 77

PostPosted: 05/27/19 4:10 pm    ::: Memorial Day 2019 Reply Reply with quote

For those who do not follow me on Facebook... I wish I could post the photo

A Memorial Day to Remember.

They say that Memorial Day was set aside to honor those who served and died for our country, while Veteran’s Day is a day set aside to honor all who served, those living and those no longer with us. It is a ‘holiday’ which began following the years after the Civil War, but now encompasses every war in American history. In Lake Mills, on our Memorial Day, we celebrate all who served from our community, whether they died in battle or not.

That’s why my Father Edward always appears in the program, though he only served during peacetime, as did my brother Robert, who currently resides in Waterloo. (though they served under different circumstances. I could not serve due to a football injury my Junior year in high school.) In any case, I was always happy to see my father’s name in the program, and that he is honored along with other great servicemen and servicewomen from our community. Just recently, I discovered another reason to celebrate Memorial Day.

A few weeks ago, a profile appeared on my Facebook page, a profile of an individual who had the same last name as my maternal grandmother. I wouldn’t have made a big deal about it, but this individual had striking resemblances to my grandmother and that I couldn’t let the feeling slide. When I finally met her a week ago at a party, I explained to her my feelings about how I thought we were related. When I returned home later that evening, she forwarded the names of a couple of her grandfathers, and that there was no mention of my grandmother’s first name in my new friend’s family tree.

During the last few days, I gave the information I had about her family and mine to my friend Bruce from Green Bay, who has an account on Ancestry.com. Using what he was given, he indeed found a connection and helped me to learn that not only was this person related to me, we actually have two grandfathers who connect us. I would like everyone to meet one of them.

The photo that accompanies this piece, is a picture of the gravestone of my Great-Great Grandfather, John Jacob Garlock, which I took today after riding my bike to Rome, Palmyra and Hebron, where most of the Garlock ancestors can be found. According to the Ancestry records my friend found, John J. Garlock was a sergeant with the 4th Division of the Wisconsin Calvary, between the years 1861 -1865. Though I need to do more research, it is apparent he was a veteran of the Civil War, to which this ‘holiday’, each last day in Monday exists. I was also able to find one of his sons and daughter’s-in-law. (My mother’s grandparents Levi and Anna, and a granddaughter.) I could not find my grandmother Amanda, but I suspect she’s there without a marker.

One day, I would like to honor my grandfather John by having his stone repositioned (It tilts forward) and then adding a stone to mark my grandmother’s place, whether she’s there or not. It’s the least I can do to mark his place in Wisconsin history for everyone to see. I am very proud to have three family members (and possibly more) who not only served our country and our state, but our communities as well.

If you cannot inspire yourself to read a book about women's basketball, or any book about women's sports, you cannot inspire any young girl or boy to write a book about them. http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Richardstrek
PUmatty

PostPosted: 05/28/19 1:42 pm    ::: Re: Memorial Day 2019 Reply Reply with quote

Richard 77 wrote:
For those who do not follow me on Facebook... I wish I could post the photo

A Memorial Day to Remember.

They say that Memorial Day was set aside to honor those who served and died for our country, while Veteran’s Day is a day set aside to honor all who served, those living and those no longer with us. It is a ‘holiday’ which began following the years after the Civil War, but now encompasses every war in American history. In Lake Mills, on our Memorial Day, we celebrate all who served from our community, whether they died in battle or not.

That’s why my Father Edward always appears in the program, though he only served during peacetime, as did my brother Robert, who currently resides in Waterloo. (though they served under different circumstances. I could not serve due to a football injury my Junior year in high school.) In any case, I was always happy to see my father’s name in the program, and that he is honored along with other great servicemen and servicewomen from our community. Just recently, I discovered another reason to celebrate Memorial Day.

A few weeks ago, a profile appeared on my Facebook page, a profile of an individual who had the same last name as my maternal grandmother. I wouldn’t have made a big deal about it, but this individual had striking resemblances to my grandmother and that I couldn’t let the feeling slide. When I finally met her a week ago at a party, I explained to her my feelings about how I thought we were related. When I returned home later that evening, she forwarded the names of a couple of her grandfathers, and that there was no mention of my grandmother’s first name in my new friend’s family tree.

During the last few days, I gave the information I had about her family and mine to my friend Bruce from Green Bay, who has an account on Ancestry.com. Using what he was given, he indeed found a connection and helped me to learn that not only was this person related to me, we actually have two grandfathers who connect us. I would like everyone to meet one of them.

The photo that accompanies this piece, is a picture of the gravestone of my Great-Great Grandfather, John Jacob Garlock, which I took today after riding my bike to Rome, Palmyra and Hebron, where most of the Garlock ancestors can be found. According to the Ancestry records my friend found, John J. Garlock was a sergeant with the 4th Division of the Wisconsin Calvary, between the years 1861 -1865. Though I need to do more research, it is apparent he was a veteran of the Civil War, to which this ‘holiday’, each last day in Monday exists. I was also able to find one of his sons and daughter’s-in-law. (My mother’s grandparents Levi and Anna, and a granddaughter.) I could not find my grandmother Amanda, but I suspect she’s there without a marker.

One day, I would like to honor my grandfather John by having his stone repositioned (It tilts forward) and then adding a stone to mark my grandmother’s place, whether she’s there or not. It’s the least I can do to mark his place in Wisconsin history for everyone to see. I am very proud to have three family members (and possibly more) who not only served our country and our state, but our communities as well.

Thanks so much for sharing this, Richard.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: