RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

WNBA hires Deloitte CEO Engelbert as president
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
toad455

PostPosted: 05/17/19 4:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
Congrats and good luck to Cathy Engelbert.

That said, is this the longest time the WNBA had to wait for a president/commissioner to be chosen?

Yes. Could've been a cost saving move by the NBA.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 05/17/19 4:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
PRballer wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
That Q+A is virtually unreadable it's been transcribed so poorly (and presumably unproofed). Absolutely ridiculous.

It's in italics. It seemed pretty easy to read to me.

I didn't mean visually. The English is a mess (incorrect words, grammar that makes no sense, typos etc.).

Anyone who read my Game of Thrones dissertation over in Area 51 on a subjective matter of what I felt was atrocious writing can probably guess my feelings on objectively atrocious writing in a professional setting...

I respect everyone who speaks out against atrocious writing, especially in a professional setting. That includes the two of you, Richyyy and justintyme.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 07/13/19 11:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is a couple of days before even starting your job, too early to ask for a pay rise?

PostPosted: 07/16/19 7:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Five ways WNBA commissioner Cathy Engelbert can make a good first impression
Quote:
Cathy Engelbert, announced as the WNBA's new commissioner in May, officially starts this week. The former CEO of Deloitte LLC had a lot of success in the business world, and she needs to hit the ground running in the WNBA. Her to-do list is extensive; working on a new collective bargaining agreement is at the top, and that will need to be in place before next season. More immediately, here are five things we'd like to see from the commissioner.

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/27197820/

PostPosted: 08/24/19 8:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA commissioner Cathy Engelbert settling into new position

https://www.middletownpress.com/sports/article/WNBA-commissioner-Cathy-Engelbert-settling-into-14376197.php

Quote:
Engelbert would like to speak with each of her four predecessors — Val Ackerman, Donna Orender, Laurel Richie and Lisa Borders — but when the time’s right, of course. Fortunately, Engelbert, who was the first woman to lead one of the Big Four accounting firms, is no stranger to the fast-paced nature of business.

PostPosted: 08/24/19 11:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

...and the most boring of all. They continue to interview her in the middle of games and she says the same things over and over and over ad nauseam.

- Amanda Gorman
Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/25/19 12:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I haven't found her quite as bland and dull as Borders to this point. It might just be because she's newer, but so far she survives my mute button a little longer.

Still haaaaate when a live game becomes background footage for an in-booth interview though, whoever the hell it is.

PostPosted: 08/28/19 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://fever.wnba.com/video/wnba-commissioner-cathy-engelbert-indiana-fever/
https://videos.nba.com/wordpress/uploads/media/sites/31/2019/08/CathyandEddie_1280x720.mp4

WNBA Commissioner Cathy Engelbert Shares Why She Believes The WNBA’s Growth Is Important
August 28, 2019

On Tuesday for Inspiring Women Night, the Indiana Fever were honored to host WNBA Commissioner Cathy Engelbert for a special visit and before the game, she spoke with Eddie White about the Fever's success over the years, Fever legend Tamika Catchings and why she believes the WNBA's growth as a brand is so important for young ladies growing up.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 08/29/19 9:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.wishtv.com/news/inside-indiana-business/new-wnba-commissioner-leads-league-transformation-2/

Bonus link (mostly because I don't want to start a new thread for it because I don't know if it goes here or the NCAA page):

https://www.wthr.com/article/fans-meet-notre-dame-coach-mcgraw-indiana-fevers-inspiring-women-night

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 02/16/20 7:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
WNBA commissioner: 'We have a marketing problem'
“One of the things i noticed is we have a marketing problem. We really need to step up our marketing dollars. In the collective bargaining agreement, we put forth substantial dollars in league and team marketing agreements so that now we can actually employ and pay our players to help us market the league...we don’t have the typical economic model through media and sponsorships that men’s leagues have,” she said in an interview with Yahoo Finance at the MAKERS conference in Los Angeles this week. “We’re really going to step it up and market these players. I would love to have all 144 under these agreements. But we’re going to pick some of our top players who have a real feel for marketing and appealing to the fanbase, and bring in new fans.”

Article at Yahoo! Finance

PostPosted: 02/17/20 12:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Quote:
“One of the things i noticed is we have a marketing problem. We really need to step up our marketing dollars. In the collective bargaining agreement, we put forth substantial dollars in league and team marketing agreements so that now we can actually employ and pay our players to help us market the league...we don’t have the typical economic model through media and sponsorships that men’s leagues have,” she said in an interview with Yahoo Finance at the MAKERS conference in Los Angeles this week. “We’re really going to step it up and market these players. I would love to have all 144 under these agreements. But we’re going to pick some of our top players who have a real feel for marketing and appealing to the fanbase, and bring in new fans.”

Isn’t that why they hired Lisa Borders, who had that high-ranking marketing background with Coca-Cola, and as an added bonus was a screamin Dream fan? Rolling Eyes I’d like to know what Engelbert thought of any of the “work” that Borders put in towards the marketing angles when Engelbert was hired on. Laughing

I must say, I approve of the way Engelbert’s going about this based on the limited idea we get from the article. She has at least been saying the right things, which is a small but important part of the battle. I liked her announcing the new CBA with the WNBPA main player reps - it’s a near-no-brainer to do something like that to show a united front, but there’s nothing ever wrong with good optics. Announcing it on Good Morning America too was a nice surprise. Really rooting for her.

Last edited by Stormeo on 02/17/20 12:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 02/17/20 12:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
Quote:

Isn’t that why they hired Lisa Borders, who had that high-ranking marketing background with Coca-Cola, and as an added bonus was a screamin Dream fan? Rolling Eyes I’d like to know what Engelbert thought of any of the “work” that Borders put in towards the marketing angles when Engelbert was hired on. Laughing

PostPosted: 02/17/20 8:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
Quote:

I must say, I approve of the way Engelbert’s going about this based on the limited idea we get from the article. She has at least been saying the right things, which is a small but important part of the battle. I liked her announcing the new CBA with the WNBPA main player reps - it’s a near-no-brainer to do something like that to show a united front, but there’s nothing ever wrong with good optics. Announcing it on Good Morning America too was a nice surprise. Really rooting for her.

Borders didn't do much for the league, especially on the marketing end. Hated her interviews, everything was too scripted. Borders was also our shortest running president(3 years). Engelbert doesn't seem like she's messing around. She's blunt and straight to the point with what needs to get done. I hope Engelbert is around for a while.

ClayK

PostPosted: 02/17/20 9:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The issue I have with the emphasis on marketing:

Marketing is the job of exposing potential buyers to your product.

Basketball fans have had 20 years to see WNBA basketball, and it's my contention most potential customers have seen the product.

If that's the case, what will marketing do?

Engelbert wants to market players, which assumes that fans will come out to watch players rather than teams, which is good. But the nature of women's basketball is that stars don't dominate as they do on the men's side, and there is less spectacular athleticism. Many, if not most, fans of women's basketball enjoy the team-play aspect more than the star aspect, and really, that's the selling point, it seems to me.

Now, marketing the players more can't hurt, and that's great, but really the quality of play is the product, and that's out of the WNBA's control. The hollowing out of the game at the middle-school and high-school levels (volleyball is winning bigtime) is the biggest impediment to the league's growth, and I don't know what Engelbert can do about that except push USA Basketball really hard to improve the grassroots experience.

The WNBA may in fact have come close to maximizing its market share in the sports industry -- and getting 4,500 people per game to pay real money to watch women play basketball during the summer months is no small achievement.

PostPosted: 02/17/20 9:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marketing doesn’t do much good unless the product is more easily accessible. That’s the biggest problem. Need more games on television so people can get hooked on it. Need more teams so more people have a local team. I doubt I’d even be into the WNBA if I didn’t have a local team.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
ClayK

PostPosted: 02/17/20 10:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Marketing doesn’t do much good unless the product is more easily accessible. That’s the biggest problem. Need more games on television so people can get hooked on it. Need more teams so more people have a local team. I doubt I’d even be into the WNBA if I didn’t have a local team.

Very true. The WNBA has a very strong presence in the cities where it has a team ... elsewhere, it has to rely on TV to attract fans, and the WNBA version of basketball just doesn't translate to television as well as the NBA and men's college game.

PostPosted: 02/17/20 10:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Also, needing ESPN, CBS Sports, etc. to actually talk about the league/games during their broadcasts. I think the WNBA would benefit from a weekly show on either ESPN or CBS Sports.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: