RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

LSU vs OSU Tomorrow Night

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gpark33

PostPosted: 12/14/05 5:22 pm    ::: LSU vs OSU Tomorrow Night Reply Reply with quote

So as a fan, but admittedly not a very knowledgable one, I have been looking forward to this game for a few weeks now. I read the article on espn.com today basically "passing" on OSU. I can't say I am an OSU fan, but as someone looking forward to this game (thinking it would be a good one with 3 vs 4), I am kind of disappointed in this prognosis.

So, what are some thoughts you guys have on what to expect from this one tomorrow night? Are you looking forward to any particular matchups? Do you think it will be a game or a blow out and if so, for which team?

I have become quite addicted to lurking on the board and am excited to hear your insights pregame. I'm hoping you'll bring the excitement back for me after the let down of the ESPN article.

Thanks!

dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/14/05 5:24 pm    ::: Re: LSU vs OSU Tomorrow Night Reply Reply with quote

gpark33 wrote:
So as a fan, but admittedly not a very knowledgable one, I have been looking forward to this game for a few weeks now. I read the article on espn.com today basically "passing" on OSU. I can't say I am an OSU fan, but as someone looking forward to this game (thinking it would be a good one with 3 vs 4), I am kind of disappointed in this prognosis.

So, what are some thoughts you guys have on what to expect from this one tomorrow night? Are you looking forward to any particular matchups? Do you think it will be a game or a blow out and if so, for which team?

I have become quite addicted to lurking on the board and am excited to hear your insights pregame. I'm hoping you'll bring the excitement back for me after the let down of the ESPN article.

Thanks!

Fowles vs Davenport may be a battle of the two best posts in the country. That alone is worth the price of admission in my book.

Keegan

PostPosted: 12/14/05 5:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Even we're getting this game down here Shocked

Fowles vs Davenport will be fun, but Ohio State will be owned by Augustus' 17 foot jumper. I think Hoskins could be a solid WNBA prospect and I'm looking forward to seeing her again.

(now watch me get proven wrong)
bullsky

PostPosted: 12/14/05 5:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

To me, Hoskins has improved a bunch this year. She seems to take better shots. Sometimes last year, she took questionable shots. She looks stronger/thinner also.

PostPosted: 12/14/05 7:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree with both Keegan and Streaks.

LSU by 10... unless Fowles has 3 fouls before 15:00 of the second half and Dav does not, in which case: OSU by 5.

One of the astonishing things about Davenport-- something that distinguishes her from almost all the other college posts of her caliber-- is how rarely she gets into foul trouble: Jim Foster has coached his entire team into playing effective defense with very few fouls. The one time this year Dav got into foul trouble, at BC, OSU got taken to OT.

emibaby

PostPosted: 12/15/05 8:44 am    ::: GO BUCKS!!! Reply Reply with quote

I'm really looking forward to the game....but unfortunately won't be in the arena tonight. I'm also afraid that the 3" of snow we got last night (and it's STILL falling) might keep a lot of people away.

I'm looking forward to seeing how JD keeps up tonight. I'm a little nervous, I gotta say. Regardless of the outcome of tonight's game, it's going to be VERY interesting to see how the OSU team does the rest of the year. I think they have all the tools to win it all, if they can get their heads together.

Thankfully they have their attitudes in check. They look forward to the next game as it comes and don't think any further than that.

But if we're making predictions, I gotta go with OSU by one. LOL

GOOOOOOO BUCKS!!! Wink

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 12/15/05 9:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Bottom line? Buckeyes don't have the goods
By Graham Hays

[Caity] Matter's star dimmed ever so slightly during her senior season, eclipsed by the supernova that is Davenport. But the Ohio native, who finished her college career as the school's most prolific 3-point shooter, is still missed. Matter hit better than two 3-pointers a game last season, shooting a robust 44.5 percent from behind the arc and forcing defenses to respect both her reputation and her results. And though Marscilla Packer almost single-handedly rescued the Buckeyes against Boston College on Dec. 3, hitting five 3-pointers on her way to 18 points, she's still relatively unproven as a sophomore, after averaging just less than nine minutes a game last season.

Without the fear of proven perimeter retribution -- other than Packer, no Ohio State player has hit more than four 3-pointers this season -- smaller teams such as the Eagles and Trojans were able to limit Davenport by using quickness to converge on and harass her.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/news/story?id=2258230

Aside from Packer, OSU minus-Matter sounds like the Vanderbilt that Jim Foster had to teach the three-point shot to many, many years ago. Confused

PUmatty

PostPosted: 12/15/05 9:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The B11 has flopped in most of their OOC tests. I really hope OSU can pull this one out.

blkkirk

PostPosted: 12/15/05 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm going to go out on a limb and say LSU by 15 or more. I think LSU will dominate the game from start to finish. I hope otherwise and want to see a close game.

O.G.

PostPosted: 12/15/05 5:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LSU hasn't had much of a test yet either. It should be interesting ...

dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/15/05 5:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

no way in their house. OSU wins.

ThreeBall25

PostPosted: 12/15/05 7:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My gut is saying LSU. I think Hoston will have a big game.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 12/15/05 8:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LSU leads at the half, 33-15. Fowles has 13 points and 9 rebounds, while Davenport has 2 points. Augustus has 14 points on 7-10 shooting.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 12/15/05 8:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Katie Smith had some nice color commentary when she was discussing Sylvia Fowles' game.

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 12/15/05 8:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh my god... Fowles is absolutely ABUSING Davenport. She is a damn house!

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 12/15/05 8:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Katie Smith had some nice color commentary when she was discussing Sylvia Fowles' game.

Yeah, and opportunistic Annie found a way to mention her favorite player during the segment.

Mathies to LA 2013
pilight

PostPosted: 12/15/05 8:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

womens_hoops wrote:
Oh my god... Fowles is absolutely ABUSING Davenport. She is a damn house!

No doubt. OSU is apparently quite overrated.

PostPosted: 12/15/05 8:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
No doubt. OSU is apparently quite overrated.

yes, overrated, but.... Jess Davenport will still destroy most college teams single-handedly. OSU will still probably win the Big Ten (what does that say about the Big Ten?).

It's easy to beat them if you have Sylvia Fowles on your team. If you don't, it's not gonna be quite so easy.

But yeah, they are still way overrated at 4.

pilight

PostPosted: 12/15/05 8:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Of course LSU was known for blowing leads in the second half last season...

PostPosted: 12/15/05 9:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Like Uconn, OSU's house is vulnerable to a break in. LSU is the real deal. I think their only weakness is at the point which I think a team like Tennesse will expose. However, as Fowles becomes a better finisher they could dominate the post and inside outside game. I look forward to this game.

Keegan

PostPosted: 12/17/05 12:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Augustus should be the #1 pick in 2006. Her floor game could use a bit of work but her scoring abilities - wow!

Fowles is a taller Yolanda Griffith with a couple more post moves. #1 pick for 2008?

Ohio State has talent but I question whether Foster can take them to the next level. They're too focused on trying to force the ball in and Hoskins and Packer basically get the scraps or have to force things for themselves. I still think Hoskins is a good WNBA prospect but she's being underutilised and not getting the attention she needs at Ohio State.
BBFan23

PostPosted: 12/17/05 8:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoskins gets plenty of attention at OSU and can do as she wishes. Her problem is that she has no outside game and gets dribbleitis. Matter helped both she and Davenport last season by not allowing players to double up on Hoskins or Davenport at times. They will face zone defenses all season and are being exposed at the one dimensional team that they are. LSU and Pokey had them pegged by "going after the head of the snake".

Foster will not take OSU to deep in the tournament... he beats up on his own teams too much for them ever to be successful at the highest levels. He always thinks post first no matter what the defense offers. Most of his offense consists of pass it around the perimeter and then feed the post and no screens at any time whatsoever. As some OSU fans stated after the game... "Watching a Foster coached team is like watching paint dry".

Keegan

PostPosted: 12/17/05 8:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I certainly noticed the no screens thing because my WNBL team suffers from exactly the same problem.

As for Hoskins, I think the fact she doesn't have any screens set for her means that she's being underutilised. The perimeter players need to have plays run for them fullstop.
BBFan23

PostPosted: 12/17/05 11:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Keegan... Foster never sets screens for his players. Basically his offense is either one on one play by the ball handlers or pass to the post. Any coach with any level of intelligence will stop OSU this season. Sag on Hoskins and force her to take the jumper outside of 10 feet and bang on Davenport. Those two things will keep OSU out of the mix.

He also teaches going underneath picks instead of over the top. This has killed his team on the defensive end as they have no clue what a screen looks like in practice Rolling Eyes ! Good screening teams will get lots of looks against OSU when they are running their offense.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: