RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Who Is the All-Time Greatest Stand-Up Comedian?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Genero36

PostPosted: 05/03/19 1:41 pm    ::: Who Is the All-Time Greatest Stand-Up Comedian? Reply Reply with quote

<embed><iframe width="1013" height="570" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qwbKGIAkYQ8" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwbKGIAkYQ8

PostPosted: 05/03/19 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pryor, Williams, Carlin and Cosby.

Between Pryor and Williams for the best.

Though Sam Kinison's "Send them luggage" bit may still rank as the best non-PC riff of all time.

justintyme

PostPosted: 05/03/19 2:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TechDawgMc wrote:
Pryor, Williams, Carlin and Cosby.

Between Pryor and Williams for the best.

Though Sam Kinison's "Send them luggage" bit may still rank as the best non-PC riff of all time.

Between Pryor and Carlin for me.

Man I loved Kinison, but he is hurt so much by the fact that he died so young and was a very edgy comic. He is the epitome of the idea that "comedy is not evergreen". Having died, he is forever locked into bits that are of the time, but cringe inducing today, and he never had the chance to evolve like so many of the other greats.

PostPosted: 05/03/19 2:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Hope.

Not only was he a great comic, but a great American, entertaining the troops overseas in a world of turmoil.

If you cannot inspire yourself to read a book about women's basketball, or any book about women's sports, you cannot inspire any young girl or boy to write a book about them. http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Richardstrek
PUmatty

PostPosted: 05/03/19 4:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The rest of her work fell off dramatically, but I would rather watch "I'm the One that I Want" and "Notorious C.H.O." than any other stand-up shows that I can think of.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 05/04/19 12:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I find I like a lot of smaller comedians. No one makes me laugh like Jo Koy.

Besides him, my top favorites are: Ellen Degeneres, John Mulaney, Chris Rock, and Robin Williams.

If I can add improv, Colin Mochrie and Ryan Stiles.

I like a lot of the new women too, especially Katherine Ryan and Iliza.

PostPosted: 05/04/19 12:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Joan Rivers 60's and 70's work was groundbreaking. She turned into a virtual self-parody by the 90's, but she was one of the greats back in the day.

PostPosted: 05/04/19 1:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Joan Rivers 60's and 70's work was groundbreaking. She turned into a virtual self-parody by the 90's, but she was one of the greats back in the day.

Joan, YES! Cool

Phyllis Diller: I was too young at the time of her heyday to have appreciated her 'edginess'-without-pottymouth until I saw some of her vintage stuff. She really was quite good.

Rita Rudner: Another standout whose heyday was too short, imo.

'My' GOAT comedienne: Lily Tomlin. Though she's not reknown for standup (far better known for her sketch comedy, and even her movies/TV work) her standup was delicious. (I thought Kristin Wiig might be her Heiress Apparent, but Kate McKinnon is rocking that role. Razz)

Obviously, all very subjective.....I NEVER liked Cosby's standup, Carlin I could take or leave. Pryor was good.

PostPosted: 05/04/19 4:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What? Since we were talking about “groundbreaking” female comedians, doesn’t Moms Mabley deserve a mention?

PostPosted: 05/04/19 9:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Greatest I would probably give to Pryor

Here are a bunch I like or respect
Chris Rock, Colin Quinn, Louis CK, Margaret Cho, Bill Hicks, Kinison, Ellen, Kyle Kinane., Maria Bamford, Sheryl Underwood,
Marc Maron, Tig Nataro, Kevin Hart, Patrice O'Neal, Patton Oswald, Dave Chapelle, Sarah Silvrrman, Judy Tenuda, Steven Wright, Emo Phillips, Louis Anderson, Lewis Black , Seinfeld, Eddie Murphy, Kat Williams, Janine Garfalo, Rwanda Sakes, Amy Schumer, Jim Gafigan, Andy Kaufman , Rosanne (I know but she was funny and changed the game), Elaine Boosler, Zach Galfanakis, Bob Newhart, Kristen Schall, John Stewart, Mulaney, Dmitri Martin, Bill Burr

justintyme

PostPosted: 05/05/19 3:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The comedian who I can't get enough of right now is Jim Jefferies. I was beyond bummed when FX canceled Legit.

PostPosted: 05/05/19 9:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shout out to Anthony Jeselnik, whose "Fire in the maternity ward" special I happened to see yesterday and was up to his usual standard. He's right up my alley.
Quite a few on J-Spoon's list I have enjoyed, and assuming Rwanda Sakes is meant to be Wanda Sykes, I'll go international and add Jimmy Carr, Ross Noble, Frankie Boyle & Hannah Gadsby.

No strong opinion on the greatest ever. Pryor & Carlin are 2 candidates I can certainly agree with.

taropatch

PostPosted: 05/06/19 3:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Greatest? Too broad a question, like the "greatest jazz guitarist", so it's who entertains you with their material.

I did not like Stephen Wright when he first came out but now I find his material brilliant. I see it though more in the written form.

Two standups that I find entertaining are Margaret Cho and Carrie Snow.

Back in the old days I enjoyed George Carlin on the radio while wrapping up my trigonometry homework.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKHVwMMI0fc

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: