Board Junkies Forums

Riquna Williams arrested
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic :: View next topic  
justintyme

PostPosted: 06/12/19 9:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
While WNBA investigates Riquna Williams, hear from her accuser and witnesses

https://highposthoops.com/2019/06/12/riquna-williams-penny-toler-los-angeles-sparks/

Quote:
High Post Hoops has obtained, through a public records request, video of Davis’ statement, which you can view in its entirety here — warning, description of abuse follows

Hats off to Megdal, that was a quality article.

PostPosted: 06/12/19 9:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
While WNBA investigates Riquna Williams, hear from her accuser and witnesses

https://highposthoops.com/2019/06/12/riquna-williams-penny-toler-los-angeles-sparks/

Quote:
High Post Hoops has obtained, through a public records request, video of Davis’ statement, which you can view in its entirety here — warning, description of abuse follows

Many thanks for posting this valuable article and accompanying videos.

ClayK

PostPosted: 06/12/19 11:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The issue to me is violence against women, a worldwide problem that has gone unnoticed for too long.

This is a clear case of that (though not proven in court), and a women's league, and a women's team run by a woman, have an obligation (in my view) to take the entire issue of violence against women seriously.

This does not appear to be happening, and it's shameful.

PostPosted: 06/12/19 11:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
The issue to me is violence against women, a worldwide problem that has gone unnoticed for too long.

This is a clear case of that (though not proven in court), and a women's league, and a women's team run by a woman, have an obligation (in my view) to take the entire issue of violence against women seriously.

This does not appear to be happening, and it's shameful.

Very well said.

pilight

PostPosted: 06/12/19 11:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Most cases are clear when you only hear one side

PostPosted: 06/12/19 12:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Intelligent exchanges always help me to sharpen my views, and as a lawyer I always want to get the facts correct in legal cases I comment upon. Accordingly, I have to change what I said above about the specific Florida legal charges against Riquna Williams (RW), which I had based on newspaper reports. Those newspaper reports are incomplete.

I've just spent more than an hour reading every police and court document in this case, all of which are on line, and every Florida statute involved. Here's the accurate story, which I'll paraphrase or quote from the police and court documents and the witness affidavits.

On December 6, 2018, the police went to a home in Pahokee, Florida, occupied or owned by Antonio Wilson and his son Antavios Wilson. Also present in the house at the time was Alkeria Davis, who had been RW's girl friend "on and off for the past 5 years, just recently breaking up 1 month ago."

Alkeria said that she and RW had never been "living together" and that RW "has never became violent before in their past relationship." Because the two women never resided together, whatever crimes RW may have committed do not qualify as "domestic violence" under Florida Statute 741.28, nor is there any history of repeat violence.

RW banged on the door of the house with a skateboard. Alkeria opened it. RW forced her way through the open door and hit Alkeria "multiple times" with "a closed fist" and pulled her hair. (The affidavits do not say what, if anything, Alkeria was doing to RW.) Alkeria's only claimed injury was a "small lump on the side of her head."

Antonio and his son broke up the altercation and took RW outside. RW pulled a gun from her blue Camaro, put it on the trunk and said some threatening words to Antonio but didn't actually do anything, and then drove away.

The the DA officially charged RW with two criminal statute violations. First, burglary under Florida Statute 810.02. The requisite offense intended by the burglary is stated to be "an assault or battery upon Antonio D. Wilson and/or Alkeria Mone Davis." Note that this charge does not specify whether the charge is an assault (threat) or a battery (touching) nor whom it was against. Nor are there individual charges for assault or battery under their separate statutes -- just the burglary violation, which however is a felony.

Secondly, RW was charged with aggravated assault (with a deadly weapon without intent to kill) under Florida Statute 784.021 for the gun threat against Antonio and Antavios Wilson, which is also a felony.

So, as to physical violence crimes, to more accurately re-summarize the actual charges: Riquana Williams has not been charged with any domestic violence crime, with any standalone physical violence (battery) crime, but has been charged with a form of burglary that will require proof of either an assault (verbal threat) or battery (physical touching) against either Alkeria Davis or Antonio Wilson.

This clarification of the legal charges and unproven witness claims against RW, does not change my opinion that the Sparks and WNBA are handling this situation properly.

The only interest of an employer when an employee is involved in a legal matter is to determine whether that employee presents a danger to other employees in the workplace if she remains on the job. The Sparks workplace is tiny, a handful of coaches and administrators and 11 other players. They all know RW personally, some of them probably for years, and they likely are of the opinion that she's never shown any tendency for violence in the workplace. The unproven allegations in the Florida case likely do not change the Sparks' evaluation of her temperament. RW has no criminal record, no history of prior violence even according the former girlfriend, and the unproven acts of physical violence involved, at most, some fist punches and maybe some hair pulling, allegedly resulting in no more than a small bump on the head. In the likely opinion of the Sparks, this one-time incident involving a former girl friend is not enough to change their pre-existing opinion that RW presents no danger to the workplace.

thx for the insight. I seen the video footage of the police body camera that was posted on here. I am curious as to if this is a case of assault as people pointed out, did the victim go seek medical attention. If so, I am quite sure that the findings of the medical staff would have been enough evidence to lock RW up(in which they did).I just read a story in my hometown newspaper of a situation where a man assaulted his girlfriend twice and the police were called each time. The article stated that the victim had bruises on parts of her body and had a black eye. The man was charged with felony assault and kidnapping.

I think that the league is waiting to see what happens in a court of law. If RW has the charges or case dismissed then them suspending her would be over reacting. Especially if there is no footage of RW striking her ex like the other cases that were being compared to this one. The only footage we have is the victim stating to the police that her hair was pulled and that she had a bump on her head. If the police report has a statement from a person that examined the victim and they felt that RW violently assaulted her ex then yes, the league should suspend her and she should not have been signed. I am sure that the Sparks did their homework especially since they did not sign her right away. They would be in hot water if they did. I would say, let the legal process play out because as I have stated previously,there is no way that a person charged with assaulting another person would not have to show up for court. BG and Glory(even though theirs was a DV situation and both were arrested and charged)had to appear in court.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 06/12/19 5:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
So, as to physical violence crimes, to more accurately re-summarize the actual charges: Riquana Williams has not been charged with any domestic violence crime, with any standalone physical violence (battery) crime, but has been charged with a form of burglary that will require proof of either an assault (verbal threat) or battery (physical touching) against either Alkeria Davis or Antonio Wilson.

On a related note...

To address mass shootings, the Justice Department wants to prosecute more domestic abusers for illegally having guns.

The task force of U.S. Attorneys will identify best practices to prosecute these crimes. Domestic violence advocates say that's a good start, but the real problem is gaps in the fed's definition of domestic abusers. Federal law bans most people convicted of misdemeanor domestic violence from having a gun.

But while spouses, parents and live-ins qualify as domestic abusers, dating partners do not. Considering about half of all domestic violence involves dating partners – advocates say this is a problem.

Link: The Justice Department Wants To Address Mass Shootings By Putting More Domestic Abusers Behind Bars
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/zoetillman/justice-department-domestic-violence-charges-guns

jap

PostPosted: 06/12/19 11:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Agreed 1000%!!!

I have personally witnessed several times when entire communities of gossiping fools turned out to be DEAD WRONG COMPLETELY because they did not have access to all the facts as they foolishly assumed they did.

PostPosted: 06/13/19 9:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

I am confused as to your point?

Clay's "clear case" was obviously in reference to what she was being accused of, and stated directly that this "hasn't been proven in court". Hearing her side is not going to change the elements of what she is being accused of at all, so it is 100% fair to say what Clay did based solely upon the evidence against her. Her case clearly involves violence against a woman.

What has yet to be determined, and is not yet clear, is her guilt of these charges. That is what the jury is for.

BTW, according to the latest (2018) figures, the conviction rate for people charged with felonies is 69%. To convince 12 people "beyond a reasonable doubt" of a person's guilt is no easy burden. So why is the conviction rate so high? Because prosecutors only charge cases that they feel the evidence actually supports. If the evidence is weak or lacking, they decline to press charges and the person doesn't go on trial.

So for all the people saying, "we need to wait and see, people could be wrong"....what about the other side? What about the league playing someone who the government is saying "we seriously believe has committed these crimes", and who is now representing the league and all it stands for to any young fan who many google her name? Yes, she might eventually be acquitted, it happens. There might, in fact, be stuff we don't know that could clear her. But for the league, just the mere fact that she put herself in this position to have to be on trial should be enough to warrant suspension until it plays out, and the fact that reality says when the state actually decides to go forward with charges the person is convicted the vast majority of the time should give pause to the idea that this could be a "big pile of nothing".

It is, at the very least, an incredibly serious issue all around.

PostPosted: 06/14/19 8:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Her case involves more than violence against women. What about invading someone's home? And later threatening the homeowner with a gun? Did she even own that gun legally? There's been a lot of nitpicking here over the charges that have been filed to date, but there are others that could have been added as well.

lethalweapon3

PostPosted: 06/14/19 11:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Damn, Megdal came through with those videos. Seeing these makes it more difficult to just dismiss things like it was no big deal. They even swear-in the witnesses, which I didn’t know was a thing the cops could do.

So basically the excuse for the inaction from the league is the commissioner hasn’t taken the position yet, and Tatum doesn’t want to make it his call?

Toler’s excuse seems to be “That’s a Florida thing, not a California thing”. Maybe Toler’s decision to sign Williams even after being arrested should be the decision that finally gets her fired.

Magic Johnson’s twitter handle is @MagicJohnson
Sparks PR guy’s twitter handle is @CoachHorowitz13
LA Sparks twitter handle @LA_Sparks
Incoming WNBA Commissioner @CathyEngelbert
Sparks marquee sponsor (apparently owned by Magic Johnson)
is EquiTrust Life Insurance. Can’t find a twitter handle for them.

also Sparks minority owners, recent Dodgers foundation honorees and outspoken equality advocates @BillieJeanKing and spouse @ilanakloss

lethalweapon3

PostPosted: 06/14/19 11:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

2xpost

https://twitter.com/BillieJeanKing/status/1134822879466577920

Quote:
Congratulations to the
@LA_Sparks
on their home opener win! #LeadTheCharge #WNBA #GoSparks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: