RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Three or More Number One Overall Picks On A Team

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChasingRatDogmaSalade

PostPosted: 04/24/19 3:02 pm    ::: Three or More Number One Overall Picks On A Team Reply Reply with quote

Been done 12 times before this season (by my bad math.)

11 have made the postseason.
3 won championships

FOUR OVERALL NO. 1 PICKS ON SAME TEAM
2012 Seattle Storm (16-18, lost Western Conference Semifinals to Minnesota, 2-1)
Tina Thompson ’97
Ann Wauters ’00
Lauren Jackson ’01
Sue Bird ’02

THREE OVERALL NO. 1 PICKS ON SAME TEAM
2008 Minnesota Lynx (16-18, did not qualify for playoffs)
LaToya Thomas ’03
Seimone Augustus ’06
Lindsey Harding ’07

2013 Los Angeles Sparks (24-10, lost Western Conference Semifinals to Phoenix, 2-1)
Lindsey Harding ’07
Candace Parker ’08
Nneka Ogwumike ’12

2014 Los Angeles Sparks (16-18, lost Western Conference Semifinals to Phoenix, 2-0)
Lindsey Harding ’07
Candace Parker ’08
Nneka Ogwumike ’12

2013 Minnesota Lynx (26-8, Won WNBA Championship over Atlanta, 3-0)
Janel McCarville ’05
Seimone Augustus ’06
Maya Moore ’11

2014 Minnesota Lynx (25-9, lost Western Conference Semifinals to Phoenix, 2-1)
Janel McCarville ’05
Seimone Augustus ’06
Maya Moore ’11

2016 Los Angeles Sparks (26-8, won WNBA Championship over Minnesota, 3-2)
Ann Wauters ’00
Candace Parker ’08
Nneka Ogwumike ’12

2016 Minnesota Lynx (28-6, lost WNBA Finals to Los Angeles, 3-2)
Janel McCarville ‘05
Seimone Augustus ‘06
Maya Moore ‘11

2016 Phoenix Mercury (16-18, lost WNBA Semifinals to Minnesota, 3-0)
Diana Taurasi ’04
Lindsey Harding ’07
Brittney Griner ’13

2016 Seattle Storm (16-18, lost First Round to Atlanta, 1-0)
Sue Bird ’02
Jewell Loyd ’15
Breanna Stewart ’16

2017 Seattle Storm (15-19, lost First Round to Phoenix, 1-0)
Sue Bird ’02
Jewell Loyd ’15
Breanna Stewart ’16

2018 Seattle Storm (26-8, Won WNBA Championship over Washington, 3-0)
Sue Bird ’02
Jewell Loyd ’15
Breanna Stewart ’16

2019 Las Vegas Aces
Kelsey Plum ’17
A’ja Wilson ’18
Jackie Young ’19

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/24/19 3:11 pm    ::: Re: Three or More Number One Overall Picks On A Team Reply Reply with quote

ChasingRatDogmaSalade wrote:
2016 Phoenix Mercury (16-18, lost WNBA Semifinals to Minnesota, 3-0)
Diana Taurasi ’04
Lindsey Harding ’07
Brittney Griner ’13

Very interesting post!

As an aside, Penny Taylor was the #1 pick in the 2004 Dispersal Draft.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/24/19 3:14 pm    ::: Re: Three or More Number One Overall Picks On A Team Reply Reply with quote

2016 Minnesota Lynx (28-6, lost WNBA Finals to Los Angeles, 3-2)
Janel McCarville ‘05
Seimone Augustus ‘06
Maya Moore ‘11

Jia Perkins was also the #1 pick in the 2006 Expansion Draft (when the Chicago Sky joined the league).

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/24/19 3:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So were 3 #1 picks away from being a contending franchise...#ToughCookie #PlayForPP's #All2019

PostPosted: 04/24/19 5:32 pm    ::: Re: Three or More Number One Overall Picks On A Team Reply Reply with quote

[Ann Wauters , LaToya Thomas, Janel McCarville ,Lindsey Harding ]

[Seimone Augustus , Tina Thompson, Lauren Jackson, Sue Bird , Candace Parker, Nneka Ogwumike , Maya Moore, Diana Taurasi , Brittney Griner, Breanna Stewart, A’ja Wilson ]

[Jewell Loyd, Jackie Young, Kelsey Plum]

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 04/24/19 5:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Those #1 picks sure do keep ending up out West.. Rolling Eyes Laughing

ChasingRatDogmaSalade

PostPosted: 04/24/19 6:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:

I noticed that as well.

Not an Eastern Conference Team in the bunch.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 04/24/19 10:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:

It's this very reason why I tune out the noise from everyone on this board that are sarcastically critical of eastern conference teams rarely winning WNBA championships. Rolling Eyes Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: 04/27/19 1:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

2019 Los Angeles Sparks
Candace Parker ’08
Nneka Ogwumike ’12
Chiney Ogwumike '14

Idea Laughing

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 04/27/19 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:
2019 Los Angeles Sparks
Candace Parker ’08
Nneka Ogwumike ’12
Chiney Ogwumike '14

Idea Laughing

Admiral, you're on it today Laughing Laughing

libertycrazy97

PostPosted: 04/27/19 2:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Teams who have had multiple #1 picks have won championships...Seattle, Phoneix, Los Angeles, Minnesota. Between them they have what 13-14 championships in 22 years!

No one better say multiple #1 dont make a difference. The liberty never had a #1 (yes i know the horrible sidney spencer trade) and wow we have no championships.

GEF34

PostPosted: 04/27/19 4:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

libertycrazy97 wrote:
Teams who have had multiple #1 picks have won championships...Seattle, Phoneix, Los Angeles, Minnesota. Between them they have what 13-14 championships in 22 years!

No one better say multiple #1 dont make a difference. The liberty never had a #1 (yes i know the horrible sidney spencer trade) and wow we have no championships.

2 of the 3 Sparks championships had no #1 pick on the team. And I'm pretty sure 2 of the 3 Mercury championships didn't have multiple #1 pick on their team either. So that brings the number down to 9 of 22 Championships. Not saying they don't make a difference, but it's not the end all you make it seem to be since history proves otherwise. Even looking at the first post it has a team has had at least 3 #1 picks 12 times and only 3 of those teams have won championships.

ChasingRatDogmaSalade

PostPosted: 04/27/19 5:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
libertycrazy97 wrote:

2 of the 3 Sparks championships had no #1 pick on the team. And I'm pretty sure 2 of the 3 Mercury championships didn't have multiple #1 pick on their team either. So that brings the number down to 9 of 22 Championships. Not saying they don't make a difference, but it's not the end all you make it seem to be since history proves otherwise. Even looking at the first post it has a team has had at least 3 #1 picks 12 times and only 3 of those teams have won championships.

Of course the first several championships teams in the league's history were constructed differently, so it would have been nigh on impossible for the Houston Comets to have had three number one picks on their 1997-2000 teams. Same for Los Angeles in 2001 and 2002.

Cynthia Coper, Sheryl Swoopes, Lisa Leslie and the like, all WOULD have been likely number one overall picks had there been a league back when they were coming out of college.

The trio of Cooper, Swoopes and Thompson is still arguably the best trio to ever play the game together but only one was a number one overall pick.

GEF34

PostPosted: 04/27/19 11:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
libertycrazy97 wrote:

Of course the first several championships teams in the league's history were constructed differently, so it would have been nigh on impossible for the Houston Comets to have had three number one picks on their 1997-2000 teams. Same for Los Angeles in 2001 and 2002.

Cynthia Coper, Sheryl Swoopes, Lisa Leslie and the like, all WOULD have been likely number one overall picks had there been a league back when they were coming out of college.

The trio of Cooper, Swoopes and Thompson is still arguably the best trio to ever play the game together but only one was a number one overall pick.

Yes what you all say is true, but the point I was responding to is that 13-14 of the 22 championships haven't been won by teams with multiple #1 picks, and even if you say Lisa Leslie could have been, other than maybe DeLisha Milton the Sparks didn't have anyone that could have been a #1 pick, and as you mention the Houston Comets it's hard to say how those 3 would have been drafted, Cynthia wasn't even an All-American her senior year.

libertycrazy97

PostPosted: 05/01/19 4:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
libertycrazy97 wrote:

thats fine but my point is even ONE makes a huge difference, and you have teams who have had multiple! and teams who have had none. Liberty had to trade to get a #1 player. 23 years it took us to get a #2 pick!

Dont ask me why i was thinking the two leslie won she had 1 picks, my bad

Yes two of Tuarasi's championships she was the only #1 but again she made a HUGE difference and was the number 1. do they win without her? i dont think so.

GEF34

PostPosted: 05/01/19 5:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

libertycrazy97 wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
libertycrazy97 wrote:

thats fine but my point is even ONE makes a huge difference, and you have teams who have had multiple! and teams who have had none. Liberty had to trade to get a #1 player. 23 years it took us to get a #2 pick!

Dont ask me why i was thinking the two leslie won she had 1 picks, my bad

Yes two of Tuarasi's championships she was the only #1 but again she made a HUGE difference and was the number 1. do they win without her? i dont think so.

Well Phoenix didn’t make the playoffs the 2 years prior to the championship (2006, 2008) and Diana Taurasi was on both those teams, so while she did play a role, not sure it can be said she as the difference maker or that they couldn’t have won without her.

And while you mention some gets have multiple, there are a good portion who have been signed or traded after they were drafted. I don’t know the numbers for all the teams but the Sparks have signed or traded for 5 #1 draft picks. And you point out the Liberty had to trade to get one, but if they didn’t trade that pick away (before knowing how the season would play out) they would have had her much sooner.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: