RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Best Player for 2019 Season In Absence of Breanna & Maya
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClayK

PostPosted: 04/22/19 9:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is a sad thread, really ...

I hadn't thought about the very good question that's raised here, and even though Breanna Stewart was far from a household name, this summer would have been her chance to be introduced to more casual fans.

Now, the face of the league is ... Sue Bird or some other aging vet who's already familiar? Brittney Griner? An Ogwumike? EDD? Even Skylar Diggins isn't available, even though she's not really at that level.

Maybe someone will emerge and take center stage so the answer to the question becomes obvious -- for the sake of the game, let's hope so.

PostPosted: 04/22/19 9:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’m not sure what criteria people are using to say Cambage wasn’t the “best player” in 2018 other than maybe “I don’t like her” or “she wasn’t on the best team”. Best team would be a criteria for MVP. That’s why Stewart won MVP. Best Player doesn’t really need that criteria. What’s to stop Cambage from being the best player again this year other than not playing? If she plays in Dallas, she’ll have a much better coach and will be even more of the go-to player. She may be even “better” than last year. If she plays in Los Angeles, she’d probably one of the leading MVP candidates. If she doesn’t play, then she’s not a factor. Therefore for me it’s too early to give any kind confident guess to the question at hand.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/22/19 10:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Face of the League lol We still have Parker , Griner , EDD , Tina Charles , TIP Hayes , Sue Bird , Diana Taurasi , Aja Wilson too root for lol

PostPosted: 04/22/19 10:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Cambage is so good why did her team not win more games than the previous year without her?

You can't be the best player and be on a team below .500, not in basketball.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/22/19 12:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

I’m not sure what criteria people are using to say Cambage wasn’t the “best player” in 2018 other than maybe “I don’t like her” or “she wasn’t on the best team”. Best team would be a criteria for MVP. That’s why Stewart won MVP. Best Player doesn’t really need that criteria. What’s to stop Cambage from being the best player again this year other than not playing? If she plays in Dallas, she’ll have a much better coach and will be even more of the go-to player. She may be even “better” than last year. If she plays in Los Angeles, she’d probably one of the leading MVP candidates. If she doesn’t play, then she’s not a factor. Therefore for me it’s too early to give any kind confident guess to the question at hand.

I cant stand cabbage but even i campaigned the hardest for her last season as she "WAS" the best player hands down . Her team just was not up to par.

PostPosted: 04/22/19 12:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Shades wrote:

I cant stand cabbage but even i campaigned the hardest for her last season as she "WAS" the best player hands down . Her team just was not up to par.

I wonder why the team wasn't up to par around the selfish primadonna with more turnovers than assist who also plays woefully inadequate defense for her size Laughing

Michelle89

PostPosted: 04/22/19 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Shades wrote:

She had a fellow mvp candidate on her team though who some call the best pg..

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/22/19 5:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Shades wrote:

She had a fellow mvp candidate on her team though who some call the best pg..

Michelle me and you debated enough on this topic last season . The point of this discussion is that she WAS the best player. She did not have the best team which did not allow her to win MVP . How that all even's out i could care less to discuss . Shes not my player anymore i wish her last in every voting category that remains for 2019.

PostPosted: 04/23/19 9:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think it's certainly possible to be the best player in the league and be on a bad team. It's a team sport, and an individual -- especially a post -- can only do so much.

That doesn't mean I think Cambage was the best player in the league (or that she wasn't), but I don't think finishing below .500 should automatically disqualify anyone.

PostPosted: 04/23/19 11:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you replace those 32 Cambage games with 32 games of Stewart, how many games do the Wings win? What about Delle Donne? 20+? Probably.

If we have to make excuses and say a player "can only do so much" doesn't that kind of disqualify them from the conversation by default?

pilight

PostPosted: 04/23/19 11:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:
If you replace those 32 Cambage games with 32 games of Stewart, how many games do the Wings win? What about Delle Donne? 20+? Probably.

You wouldn't get 32 games of Delle Donne. She's never played 32 games in a season. She averages 26.5.

PostPosted: 04/23/19 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
I think it's certainly possible to be the best player in the league and be on a bad team. It's a team sport, and an individual -- especially a post -- can only do so much.

I thought Fowles was the best player in the league in 2011, despite Catchings, Taurasi & McCoughtry having better team records..

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/23/19 1:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree on the 'single player can only do so much', but it's a pretty reasonable point that the Wings lost Christmas-Kelly from the previous season and that's about it. They gained Azura Stevens and the 'arguably best player in the league' - and yet lost even more games. No two seasons can ever be an exact parallel comparison, but these two were pretty close. You'd like to think a player that effective would have a bigger impact on your record.

PostPosted: 04/23/19 2:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That’s why coaching makes a difference. Williams never ran a disciplined system.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Michelle89

PostPosted: 04/24/19 8:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
I agree on the 'single player can only do so much', but it's a pretty reasonable point that the Wings lost Christmas-Kelly from the previous season and that's about it. They gained Azura Stevens and the 'arguably best player in the league' - and yet lost even more games. No two seasons can ever be an exact parallel comparison, but these two were pretty close. You'd like to think a player that effective would have a bigger impact on your record.

This.

Also i think that you can be the most dominating player in the world but you need to make your teammates better if you want to be MVP.
You can say everything but if a team with 2 MVP candidates did worse then the year before when they had 1 candidate then it underachieved badly and that player is not the MVP.
Catchings dragged a worse team to a championship

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: