RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Mentally abusive culture within UCR's women's hoops

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carol Anne

PostPosted: 08/16/19 5:54 am    ::: Mentally abusive culture within UCR's women's hoops Reply Reply with quote

Uncovering the mentally abusive culture within UCR’s women’s basketball program
https://www.highlandernews.org/36007/uncovering-the-mentally-abusive-culture-within-ucrs-womens-basketball-program/

UC Riverside suspends coach after investigation [for 20 days]
https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/27315586/uc-riverside-suspends-coach-investigation

n.b. The Highlander piece is very long and a bit confusing at first. It starts with the news that assistant coach Giuliana Mendiola's (UW) contract was not renewed, then tackles the alleged unethical behavior of Head Coach John Margaritis. Coach? The man is a monster. Courageous article!

Last edited by Carol Anne on 08/16/19 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
ChasingRatDogmaSalade

PostPosted: 08/16/19 11:14 am    ::: Re: Mentally abusive culture within UCR's women's hoops Reply Reply with quote

Carol Anne wrote:
Uncovering the mentally abusive culture within UCR’s women’s basketball program
https://www.highlandernews.org/36007/uncovering-the-mentally-abusive-culture-within-ucrs-womens-basketball-program/

UC Riverside suspends coach after investigation [for 20 days]
https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/27315586/uc-riverside-suspends-coach-investigation

n.b. The Highlander piece is very long and a bit confusing at first. It starts with the news that assistant coach Giuliana Mendiola's (UW) contract was not renewed, then tackles the alleged unethical behavior of Head Coach John Margaritis. Coach? The man is a monster. Courageous article!

Best article I've ever read in the Highlander. Folks should forward this to any and all media outlets they can to shine as big a spotlight as possible on the situation.

ClayK

PostPosted: 08/19/19 10:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great story ... and a sad one.

One of my former players played at UCR. She was recruited by Carter Shaw, who left. She tore her ACL before her senior year, but she was invested in the team. I never talked to her about the head coach, though ...

But as the story points out, abusive coaches are the responsibility of the administration, and only thrive in department cultures that support that kind of behavior.

PostPosted: 08/20/19 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A most unfortunate, sad story; very reminiscent of Renee Portland, McCallie, et.al. WHY do coaches even begin to imagine those tactics are productive?

I'll be interested to see any updates, if anybody here finds them.

PostPosted: 08/20/19 3:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
A most unfortunate, sad story; very reminiscent of Renee Portland, McCallie, et.al. WHY do coaches even begin to imagine those tactics are productive?

I wouldn't put Portland and McCallie in the same bucket. Portland was explicitly homophobic in her recruiting and her treatment of players. This isn't what McCallie does.

ClayK

PostPosted: 08/20/19 3:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am consistently amazed that ADs and administrations stand for any of this. Of course they know what's going on -- that kind of behavior does not go unremarked.

I guess they're worried about getting sued if they fire someone for cause (otherwise they have to eat contracts, which they don't want to do), but there are internal checks and balances that can be applied.

PostPosted: 08/20/19 4:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Howee wrote:

I wouldn't put Portland and McCallie in the same bucket. Portland was explicitly homophobic in her recruiting and her treatment of players. This isn't what McCallie does.

And there was no finding of verbal abuse. The initial complaint from former player Elizabeth Williams (in her letter to the administration) was that there was "a negative atmosphere" around the program.

Howee

PostPosted: 08/20/19 5:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Howee wrote:

And there was no finding of verbal abuse. The initial complaint from former player Elizabeth Williams (in her letter to the administration) was that there was "a negative atmosphere" around the program.

Well, okay....but "a negative atmosphere" is a pretty broad blanket that certainly might include verbal abuse, however subtle. I can't imagine McCallie 'never' abused anyone verbally.

Re: Portland--to me, homophobic discrimination is similar in its singling-out of individuals for demeaning, and as a coaching tactic IS abusive. Regardless, it's all reprehensible, and none of these kids deserve any of it.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: